PDA

View Full Version : Goodbye all

repoman11
10-24-2005, 10:07 PM
I'm done. This game has gone from being a source of enjoyment to being nothing but a cause of aggravation. No matter how hard I try, I never seem to get any better.And with no broadband and therefore no comms, a mediocre pilot flying by himself is only good for padding the score of the better skilled and equipped opponents. Tonight was my final online death. I snapped my game cd into bits.

Not that I'll be missed.

Anyway, the rest of you have a good time. It is time for me to find something better to do.

Doug

repoman11
10-24-2005, 10:07 PM
I'm done. This game has gone from being a source of enjoyment to being nothing but a cause of aggravation. No matter how hard I try, I never seem to get any better.And with no broadband and therefore no comms, a mediocre pilot flying by himself is only good for padding the score of the better skilled and equipped opponents. Tonight was my final online death. I snapped my game cd into bits.

Not that I'll be missed.

Anyway, the rest of you have a good time. It is time for me to find something better to do.

Doug

Badsight.
10-24-2005, 10:17 PM
anyone good in FB has been shot down & killed in the thousands of times

& thats on the extreme low side of the range

at least the game gave you a slant on what WW2 aircombat may have been like

this is a case for a needed "salute" similey http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

repoman11
10-24-2005, 10:29 PM
Please note my registration date. This isn't done on a whim. You'd know me if you ever flew GreaterGreen or Virtualpilots on a regular basis. But when your frustration destroys your enjoyment, it is time to do something else. Maybe at 40 it is time to realize why they didn't let oldsters like me fly fighters.

civildog
10-24-2005, 10:39 PM
That's too bad, I recognise that name from GreaterGreen when I would fly there and get shot down so often I thought magnetic signs on my plane would be easier than paint (if it was a real plane).

I'm 43, and with a family, demanding career, and plenty of other interests than just computer games I know I'll never get the stick time in that a lot of people with nothing else in their lives will, but I still like to play the game.

It's still a pretty good sim, but mostly because it's the only one out there that covers the subject matter I like: The Great Patriotic War. I just wish that the developers would do a better job of introducing significant, well-documented patches instead of all these back and forth bits that merely make the experience frustrating to people like repoman and myself. This testbedding of BOB really takes the cake.

It's not good when a game with this one's potential only caters to the arcade AirQuake types: it waters down the whole game.

Flying_Nutcase
10-24-2005, 10:47 PM
Oh mate, was your only experience of the game from online dogfights?

Did you ever try coops with a friend or two. I also get my butt fried when playing solo in public dogfights, and I agree that it's wholly frustrating. But coops level the playing field a whole lot AND are a much richer experience in terms of the missions themselves.

So how about buying the game again and getting off to a fresh start. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-surprised.gif Hell, I'll play with you, with a couple of others. Awesome enjoyment!

~S~

repoman11
10-24-2005, 10:51 PM
I don't want you to take this the wrong way Civil;this is not intended to be critical of the game on my part. I don't think the game is the problem. I think I'm the problem. If my best effort merely gets me from very bad to just plain bad, it is time for me to move on to some field of endeavor where I finish up feeling good about myself. And this just isn't it.

Lucius_Esox
10-24-2005, 10:54 PM
repoman11,,

Hold on there a minute... For a start have a look at the ages of some of todays real life fighter jocks.... and also to say I feel your pain m8.

Since this last patch,, well.. I fly on w/clouds and am a sad sack who always flies a Spit. My stats say it all.

I play for fun with an edge of seriousness, I don't like getting shot down (who does) and play just serious enough to keep my kills in front of my deaths by a normally healthy margin.

Post 4.02 lol, I think I'm about 16 to one,,, not in my favour I might add http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif

I don't think its an age thing so much as a flying/shooting style thing. People are always "larging" it up saying this patch/that patch suits the really skilled amongst us etc etc in terms of hitting things.

Don't agree. Different FM's suit some peoples styles (including their equipment) more than others, so they adapt quicker imo,,

This game/sim has always been one he11 of a challenge and long may it be so.

Trouble is, as in real life, it can be a confidence thing imo.

Sorry to sound patronising, but don't let it get you down. You obviously want to get better otherwise it wouldn't bother you so much.

Now get back in there and kick ar*e

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

-HH-Quazi
10-24-2005, 10:55 PM
Shoot m8. We have several squadm8's on dialup and have no trouble with using TS for comms and no trouble hooking up to any mission any of us host. Have you ever thought about giving squad life a try? You know, find a squad that has no issues with m8s on dialup. There are some out there. I know the HH bunch have two m8s on dialup and are very patient with load times and understandable about lag, which are two things dialup m8s have to deal with.

And if joining a squad isn't appealing to you, how about hooking up with a couple m8s around here.

I mean if you got to go, then I guess you got to go. But for the reasons you mentioned, there are those out there that you would probably fit in with, dialup and all.

knightflyte
10-24-2005, 11:05 PM
I've flown inl ine a half dozen times or so. I've got 56k, and don't wish to introduce too much lag (or is that lagg http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif) so I've not been on in a while.

But YUP I remember repoman from GG. I learned to stay clear of you. LOL

I agree 100% that if you no longer enjoy something you stop doing it. Sorry it's gotten that way for you.

At the moment I'm too busy to really take the time necessary to 'fiddle' with my joystick settings.... so I've slowed my playing a bit. QMBs and a few Single missions and I'm done. I'm not sure if itr's my stick (though I doubt it) or if the patch affects sticks.

Again like I said I'm to busy to set up, calibrate, test, apply, lather, and rinse. Repeat.

It's taken a bit of the shine off the apple, but it will return.

It's not IL2 either that I've lessened interest. I have BOB II and can't enjoy that too. Slow time starts in a few months. More time then. I'll take the necessary steps to get it right at that time.

Hey, if your interested..... I have a VERY SLIGHTLY used copy of MSCFSIII. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/784.gif

crazyivan1970
10-24-2005, 11:09 PM
repo, i know you for a long time. Are you kidding me? Probably one of most respected guys in my book. Fought no matter what odds were and never whined, would do anything to save fellow team mate, unlike many people. Always a good sport and helluwa pilot.

Don`t be silly, take a vacation and don`t break any CD`s... or i`ll make you buy platinum DVD heeee http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

x__CRASH__x
10-24-2005, 11:10 PM
Not good? hmmmm. What criteria are you judging this? Your name was part of a short list of pilots for JG27 to keep an eye on for possible recruitment. I never pursued it further because I never found you on comms. So, to get that kind of notice, you have to impress some folks. Thats not easy to do.

Comms is the key. That, and hooking up with the right people to work with as a team. Singular skill can only take you so far in a team environment. I don't care who you are. 2v1 or 3v1, you are going to get hurt, unless they are really stupid.

If you really broke your CD, I can always send you means to play the game when you calm down, realize you can probably get satelite broadband, and want to start flying this game again.

Game. Remember that. Your computer doesn't care how old you are. It cares that you have fun doing what you enjoy.

Thats why they call it a game. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

Daiichidoku
10-24-2005, 11:14 PM
ok, take a hammer, and puond the remaining shards into something like sand...that'll help

then tape the disc back together, and put it away

yknow, take a breath, and all that...seriously, just take a few weeks off it, and you may re-appreciate it

dont be hard on yourself...getting mauled is the BEST way to learn how to fly good...in fact, the very best way is to keep trying to pick fights with the best, then u can learn from them

and as the others have said, dont just play GG...try everything...online df full real, online df arcade, online coops, online wars, offline pilot careers, single missions, etc...offline u can slow down the time, too...it can help for training

most importantly, just use your head when flying...you want kills? yes, everyone does...will u kill urself by puttiing urself in a spot surely to get killed trying ot get that kill? DONT

forget about stats, and points, if you were ever concerned about them before

be a coward, a total chicken shiite, only strike when you are SURE of getting a kill, with little or no risk to urself...in fact, that the only way to "lone wolf" it

i also have dial up...and a really shiity 28k dial up at that...i dont use comms...but i either play solo coward/hunter, or i stick around the flyers i know have half a brain

we dont wanna lose ya! were a big happy family! *hugs*

civildog
10-24-2005, 11:21 PM
repoman11.. <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I don't want you to take this the wrong way Civil;this is not intended to be critical of the game on my part. I don't think the game is the problem. I think I'm the problem. If my best effort merely gets me from very bad to just plain bad, it is time for me to move on to some field of endeavor where I finish up feeling good about myself. And this just isn't it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't take it the wrong way at all....any recent glances through my posts in the last few days'll tell you how critical I am of the direction this game is going, but I understand what you are saying.

I'm hardly a crack virtual pilot myself, I'm happy if the mission is successful and I land without bending my prop. But as the Bard once said: it's the play that's the thing (or something like that), so I just enjoy the game as a game.

Online I never have worried about my score, I just don't get the whole "You stole my kill you shoulder-shooting ******!" mentality because I'm a teamwork kinda guy, and I prefer COOPs to DF rooms because that's where the game really comes into it's own by rewarding teamwork, not the Skillz coming from hours of soaking in the rays of a CRT monitor in Mom's basement in the DF rooms.

If you want to glue your disc back together, or I'll send you a new one if needs be, you can PM me and try out my squadron...the 58th AVG "WannaBees". We can see what the bandwidth/comms issues really amount to and see if we can fix them for you. Our name will tell you what we are all about: we don't take ourselves seriously, we have fun or we don't fly, and we fly almost exclusively COOP. We watch our scores and kills, but teamwork and helping eachother survive the mission is number one. And I don't think any of us is under 35.

fordfan25
10-24-2005, 11:48 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by repoman11:

Not that I'll be missed.

Doug </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

well i dont think iv had the pleasure of meeting you online but i under stand were u r comeing from. if your not haveing fun with a game then its best to find something that youll injoy better.

Pirschjaeger
10-25-2005, 02:24 AM
Hey Repo, take a breather. I understand your frustrations completely.

I have adsl and mine is no better than the old dial up. My sticks have suffered my abuse long enough. I updated my pc to acceptable. When I started planning it was considered "uber" but you know that can only last two months. When I last flew online my skills sucked since I hadn't flown 8 months prior. If you are a regular on GG then you are one of those guys that punished me for installing my game again.

Ok, so now I've been out for a year with the acception of 1 week about 4 months ago. This is what I mean, take a breather. Get a different game like SH3 or something. Build some model planes, read some books. To be honest IL-2 does get boring. There's little change with the exception of a few new models from time to time.

I plan to come back but in style, with all the little gadgets that make it worth while. TrackIR, pedals, good stick and throttle, all the goodies. Take a break and you know you are always welcome to return. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

Fritz

bazzaah2
10-25-2005, 02:52 AM
I go through phases like that Repoman. I just stop playing for a bit but then I think hmmmmm maybe i'll just build a new mission, if only to try out a few manouevres, try and do a perfect level turn, landing or whatever. Have a break and see how you feel in a bit. This is still the only game that has been on my PC since Il2 came out donkey's years ago and while we're not all aces (I'm definitely not and contrive to struggle against Average AI at the mo' - the shame!!!) it's still a blast when you get it right.

VV_Holdenb
10-25-2005, 02:56 AM
Hi repoman11

I "seen you" on virtualpilots a few times (a fair while back). Your not bad at all! Breaking the CD was a bit hasty http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif . A break from the game for a while maybe, but not the feking disc!
I can understand the frustration with "I think am not getting any better, whatever I do"
There are a lot of very talented flyers in this community, I always end up getting butt kicked....
I just had a "sebatical" from flying and got my frustrations out playing Battefield2. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/icon_twisted.gif
keep lurking on the boards and have fun whatever you decide to do. See you in BOB land maybe ? I look forward to seeing you on-line again in the future. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

WTE_Ibis
10-25-2005, 02:57 AM
M8 a lot of pilots are getting peed off with what is happening, read the posts below, but hang in there and above all join a group.
Believe me I'm hopeless but I have fun in a group, 25 of whom fly together most flight nights.
It will improve. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/10.gif

ecember 12 2003 Reply With QuoteEdit or Delete MessageReport This Post
WTE_Ibis
Picture of WTE_Ibis

Posted Mon October 24 2005 03:19

quote:
Originally posted by Bearcat99:
I stand by what I said.... legitimate complaints whether I agree with them or not are not what I am referring to.... but when people start with the "Oleg you ruined the sim" and "Oleg caved into the American markets.." and "I am leaving this sim for good because now it is just sooooo baaaaaad."... It is whining. Plain and simple. I never called anyone a sissy. I said some folks act like sissies everytime a new patch comes out with the crying and complaining... I see nothing wrong with that... If YOU dont like what I said then fine..... good for ya. No sweat off my nose.... but dont try to hit me with that "Im a mod so I should be nice nonsense..." I get sick of folks with more negative than positive input....all the time. If you don't fit into that category then... obviously the post wasnt directed at you. Many of the problems with .02 have been adjusted and corrected with a few tweaks of the stick settings..... to complain is one thing.. but to always complian... and insult.. partularly the developer of the sim... just gets tiring.

Bearcat I respect you and always have but you are starting to sound like an apologist and in denial. It is plain for all to see that this is a try out for the BOB and I can understand that.
However whilst using us to try out the new fms dms etc etc UBI is causing alot of angst and even rebellian among otherwise loyal customers.
Now I know it's only my opinion but I will state it never the less. UBI would do well to the leave this sim where it was or is and just give us a paid addon.
It seems to me that loyal customers are fed up with being used as guinea pigs and just want the sim that they paid good money for to be left at its peak and not continually used as a vehicle for BOB experimentation.
With respect and without prejudice.
Cheers, Ibis.

LStarosta: -That was the most entertaining thing I've read all day, granted I just woke up. http://www.uploadit.org/gallery/12741
http://server6.uploadit.org/files/Ibissix-schmile.JPG

Join us or oppose us, either way MAKE MY DAY

http://wte-anga.com

Posts: 1119 | Registered: Wed December 24 2003 Reply With QuoteEdit or Delete MessageReport This Post
CivilDog
Picture of CivilDog

Posted Mon October 24 2005 21:18
I'm repeating this here for Bearcat's benfit because I think he misunderstands the smoldering resentment this crazy patching/testing/2 steps forward and 1 back creates in the average player who loves this game, but hates what is happening to it:

(and I agree 110% with what Ibis says...I said it earlier, but I guess that makes me one of the sissified whiners, eh Bearcat?)

To be fair, after I did a full-on Falcon 4.0 style delete, scrub the registry clean, full reinstall with reboots between patches....plus fiddle with the stick settings I finally have the thing more or less working. Thank God for my experiences with Falcon (and the extreme patience that created in me for sloppy coding resulting in way too many patches) or I'd have used this game for a coaster.

The Good:
It's good to see that kills can again be made with the 37mm in the Cobras. One or two hits and most planes are either going down or running for Mama.

I also approve of the toned down impact graphics for the solid slug rounds. It no longer makes every hit look like an explosion.

The .50's are spot on. They don't shoot like lasers but they don't scatter like buckshot, either.

I like the ground handling, but would actually prefer more consistent and realistic air handling perfected first since that's where I spend most of my time in a flight sim.

With respect to those experts like the LoneRanger one doesn't have to have hands-on experience with a P-40 to know how the aerodynamics work in a plane. Warbird performance is thoroughly documented and with my own flight time I can tell what the basics are enough to come to a reasonable conclusion. As a result...

The Bad:

This feels more like a survey sim from Janes than it ever did before. The planes feel way too similar, the only real differences are the different guns, and some take a little more punishment or go faster than others.

One of the 2 reasons I bought this game and have followed it since the first demo for IL2 (before that I flew Flanker from it's infancy as well) was to fly the Cobras. They are no longer the murderbirds they used to be. They are no more difficult to fly than any other plane in the game, it's easier to kill things with them than before because they are so easy now, and the fun of handling a plane well that tries so hard to kill you is gone. In 3.04...moderately realistic flight in a Cobra..4.01 realistic enough to stand your hair on end...4.02 forget it; it's just a slow plane with a big cannon.

Cobras now rarely turn-stall, I have to work really hard to get one to tumble or flatspin - and if I didn't know they did that at all I probably would never have it happen. I can put one into a negative gee roll with at least 3 or 4 rotations pushing so hard I'm in red out the whole time and it still bobs up like a cork rather than tumble. That is flat out wrong.

The other reason I bought this game was to use the IL2 line. In 3.04 they were slow (the 2-seaters) and reasonably maneuverable in a lumbering way. If you had enough speed up you could strafe, pitch up and tailslide (but you had to be on it every second at only 500m) reversing back to another gunpass. In 4.01 you couldn't do that, the plane tried to roll it's nose into the ground in a turn, and it flew like a tank....4.02 it's slow, rolls better than before, but it retains so little E that you can't take advantage of the better maneuverability.

Those two examples (and I have flown every plane in the game a lot, don't think I'm narrow-minded)) sum up my main issue: the patches have made so many changes back and forth, up and down, you can no longer trust the FM or DM on any plane. There used to be a lot of difference between planes, even between variants within a family of planes, but not that much anymore. That's what I mean when I say it's turning into just another survey sim. Always a danger when you have so many planes in one package.

The game seemed most stable in FM with 4.01 and the DM from 3.04.

I actually resent having this game used as a testbed for the future BOB. I paid for a stable program. I fully understand that today patches are part of the deal, but I didn't see anywhere on the box that at any time a patch might screw the thing up so much due to it really being a beta FM for a future release and that I should feel all warm and gooey about it. That sort of thing is better handled by providing a demo or beta test package that those interested could play with and rest of us could go on enjoying the game we paid for. I would very happily pay for any add-on CD's to get those planes and maps I'm interested in as long as it meant that any patches would be to fix the game - expanding it only after the modified FM/DM's specific to this game (not to future releases) were fully tested and enough of a change to bother with.

I already went through this kind of nonsense with Falcon, another game I played every iteration of all the way to the Holy Grail (at the time) of Falcon 4.0, only to have it patched to an unwieldy mess then have the developer lose interest, leaving me with cr@p. I am starting to wonder if the same isn't happening with FB/PF, too.

58th AVG "WannaBees" ...We fly where the angels fear to tread!
A fast connect speed and the Internet means never having to say you're wrong.
While the lead is still flying there's still hope.

F19_Ob
10-25-2005, 03:50 AM
Too bad It ended in 'only' disappointment m8.
Getting shot down frequently as a lone flyer is doubly irritating in the long run because u cant ventilate in that setup.

I have always considered myself an expert although I'm frequently shot down. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif
The competition online often goes too far for my taste, although I still hope to meet decent people who not easily are suckered into quake style of flying after high stats.

My life has been a b1tch too much of the time and I guess my online career has been similar aswell. I'm happy the few times Fortuna smiles at me.
My brother gets p1ssed all the time and swears his guts out on TS, wich really is an artform when he's doing it.

We like to fly crappier rides, wich means we won't make it against better or multiple foes for long but we usually can take getting shot down 10 times or so in a row before switching to get shot down in top-rides instead. At that point the swearing and cursing is at its peak. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/59.gif

Kick destiny in the butt I say.
If someone slaps my face I reply "thank you", and slap back multiple times, just for politeness sake.

When I reluctantly joined my excellent squad F19 I noticed that getting shot down in a group of old buggers is way more fun, and I like the company so much that I really don't care when my flying and killing is off.

Perhaps getting killed in a group would be the solution for U too?

Cheers m8

blairgowrie
10-25-2005, 05:07 AM
I have to agree with some of the earlier posters. Find yourself a group and fly coops. It is much more enjoyable than Hyperlobby.

And if you think you are too old; I have almost 30 years on you.

HFC_Dolphin
10-25-2005, 05:12 AM
repoman,

I don't know you, but I can understand your frustration. Lots of people have felt like this, including me (my first online kill happened almost 3 months after I joined HL LOL).
They key to "get better" is to start checking some things. First of all, your "weapons". I don't know what joystick you have, but I bet that if you get a CH Fighterstick, you'll get double kills from what you're getting now, without even changing your flying style.
Another key, for lone wolfs like you, is what a fellow told above. Attack only when you are sure that you can do it and never lose your energy.
You know what SG1_Cantos' motto is? "With height and speed, you preserve your teeth". Just to let you know, in my long time presence in this game (since IL2 1.0), he is the best pilot I've ever witnessed. And of course all these are not written for the first time and not only by him. All of the "good" pilots know them.

So, ending, I would suggest you give it another try and if you see me on HL, we can fly some friendly 1x1 and study some things. I always have time to help a decent fellow. There is absolutelly no way you can't be able to do more.

S! and don't give up

P.S. If Crash is right, maybe you are more skilled than you think and you only need to prove it to yourself ;-).

Sturm_Williger
10-25-2005, 05:35 AM
I can appreciate your need to take a break, repoman, but dialup isn't such a problem.

I play online with mates here in the UK together with a bunch of friends in South Africa. Even those who have what passes for broadband there, ping the same as the dialup guys ( 400-750 ) - I think the pipe between UK and SA is the bottleneck.

But we all manage to use TeamSpeak as well and still don't suffer bad lag ( occasional lag, yes, AAA lag - that too, but nothing great enough to harm our fun ).

One of our guys doesn't even use hat-views, he says it disorients him. He gets shot down a lot, but even he gives as good as he gets.

Take a rest and come back mate http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

TgD Thunderbolt56
10-25-2005, 07:03 AM
Hiya Repo,

I've know of and flown with you many many times and certainly respect your tenacity and flying skills. The kicker in online success for most is simply coms. Instead of tossing it in, get on coms with us or somebody at least.

At greatergreen we have a public TS channel that's sledom used bu t I always check it when I'm on to see if anyone else is there. When i signed on over this past weekend, low and behold, there were five pilots on coms(and it eventually grew to 8!) 20+ on the server and we had a great time.

You're welcome anytime. If not on gg, look for me at any of the WoP(warbirds of Prey) servers (i.e. Spits-vs-109's, Zekes-vs-Wildcats). Coms there is even more important as you'll need it to aid navigation and such.

As you may know, I'm also in my 40's (42 thank you very much) and have 5 kids and a demanding job also. This sim is one of the many stress-relievers I'm able to ply and I still find it ultimately rewarding when I'm able to venture out with some buddies on coms.

Don't throw in the towel. Take a break, and come back with a vengeance.

TB

Bearcat99
10-25-2005, 07:37 AM
Hey repo I am sorry to hear that you are that frustrated. Like you I too am an "oldster"..... just hit 50 this year.... with a wife... two kids still at home.... So it isnt the oldster thing.

We have guys who fly regularly on dioalup and get on TS.. I am curious about your ISP... if you have AOL can you get DSL? Verizon DSL or SBC is only about $7-$10 more than dialup over loaded AOL. Do ypou have powerline broadband where you are?

Perhaps it is not the sim you should take a break from... but DF servers. Try some coops... the pressure is different. Feel free to pop into a 99th Coop anytime. We primarily use more relaxed settings (limited icons, padlock, externals) because for us it is all about the fun..... Although I do on occasion go into full immersion DF servers for the most part each time I do I either fly around for 20 minutes and find nothing.... or I fly around for 20 minutes and get bounced.. and still find nothing but the ground. Challenging for sure.... but to me it isnt the kind of fun I would partake of all the time. So I prefer coops where there is a goal.... there are sides... and it is just a bit different... I hope you reconsider and come back.. and dont kick yourself too hard when you go out and repurchase the CDs.... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

Pirschjaeger
10-25-2005, 07:42 AM
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif@ Dolphin's sig.

Fritz

Jumoschwanz
10-25-2005, 08:00 AM
Yep, so long Repo, another old-timer bits the dust.....
Repo was one of the great lone-wolf pilots on HL for years. I always flew alone and without coms or track IR, still do, but earlier this year I did get broadband. I don't think I would fly online without it, so I know where repo is coming from.
Always thought a server was better when Repoman was there, and the soundtrack to the movie Repoman was always one of the best I thought.
Repo's usual mount was some kind of P-40 variant. And he flew it as good as anyone else on HL.

Who else have we lost over the years? In early 2002 there was a guy called just plain "Moggy". He tried to fly a 109 on full-real for a bit then disappeared, he really could not hack getting shot down anymore. I flew with him and got shot down just as much, but for some reason I stuck it out.
VSO, quit when FB came out, he didn't like the changes. I saw him in the old IL2 room on HL for quit a while after FB was out, flying with whatever handful was left there, then he dissapeared.
Uncle Ivan, used to run a server almost every day a few years ago. Whenever I shot down his Yak he would boot me!

I have not seen Uhoh7 or Fred77 for a long time. Mean Farmer, 12thIAP T-bone(never liked him anyway). Mad Piglet sightings are rare now. The only VFC member I ever see now is CrazyIvan.

Repo, if you ever do come back, maybe we can wing up. I can't believe I know any trick you don't, but it seems I can go it alone on any server and if I fly smart, finish a mission successfully. It can be done as long as you don't expect to get low and mix it up with a squad, that never works well for anyone no matter what equipment or experience they have.

They come and go and take breaks.

S!

Jumoschwanz-

Bearcat99
10-25-2005, 08:08 AM
I dont understand the all or nothing approach.... If the Full Immersion server isnt cutting it... meaning no longer fun... then why not go for a more relaxed environment? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-indifferent.gif

This sim can be fun for an 8 year old who just likes to fly around and blow up bombers (my son) and a 50 year old who likes to crank up the 5.1s whan no one is home and turn off the hudlog and speed bar on occasion... I just rarely do it online because I am usuall a solo.. and frankly... I am just not all that good in a FI environment against live pilots.... at least not without a wingman and comms.

BSS_Goat
10-25-2005, 08:14 AM
Hate to see any of the old-timers go.

Tgd_Voxman
10-25-2005, 08:20 AM
I'm sorry to hear of your decision Repo. I just checked your stats and saw that the last guys to shoot you down were the squadies Dart and Flatspin. They're tough opponents. I know how frustrating it can be as I'm always getting shot down, but then again I tend to ground pound more and go for the occassional dogfight. Winging and comms do help, so I feel for you by not having broadband to use comms with.

Take a bit of R and R away from the game, then come back. Don't want to miss you too long from GG.

BTW, I'm 44 and have 2 kids and the full schedule and like Tbolt mentioned, funny enough, it is a stress reliever....along with the occasional tropical drink http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Vox

SeaFireLIV
10-25-2005, 08:29 AM
I`m 39, Repoman and I think I understand some of your frustration. I did once smash a game CD out of pure frustration (not IL2, but a dodgy title from EA), this was very unusual of me. Perhaps it is age.

Still, my advice would be to leave FB for a couple of weeks or so, find and play another game you like, but which brings you a feeling of success, then try IL2 again.

BSS_Goat
10-25-2005, 08:40 AM
Hey Repo
Try BOBII WOV, when you come back IL2 will be like a breath of fresh air. Worked for me. LOL BTW I'm 36 and married w/ 3 kids.

T_O_A_D
10-25-2005, 08:41 AM
RM just step back for a few weeks then get on the com channels. Even if your on a low band connection you can set comms to a minimum level for yourself. Then make some friends through voice, rather than text. I'm 40 and have had up and downs with this sim, ran off and do FPS from time to time for a realease. Nothing like popping someone in the pumkin over and over,expessially if its a fellow pilot that owns your butt in the air. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/59.gif Takes no skill or forethought, unlike an airial battle.

Let us know.

p1ngu666
10-25-2005, 08:42 AM
take a break, then come back if u want, and coops are where the imersion is http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

im sure you will be welcome in whatever coop you join. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

MystiqBlackCat
10-25-2005, 08:49 AM
Hey repo, I remember flying with/against you on GG a few times in the past. Too bad that you've decided to leave, I thought you were a fairly good pilot and a worth adversary.

You might consider what Seafire said about taking a break from the game for a few weeks, I take a break every now and then when I get really irritated.

Anyways, I hope all goes well for you in your future endeavors whatever they may be.

RAF74_Poker
10-25-2005, 09:03 AM
Repoman - might I suggest you ask some of the better pilots to fly with you and teach you some things - if indeed you're really that bad, which I doubt.
Most guys here would be happy to share their knowledge.

Archangel2980
10-25-2005, 09:09 AM
I know how you feel I don't play online very much just because of bad experiences. One time I was on my takeoff roll I raised my flaps and gear then bam I was shot down lol. I said Fark this and I logged out and played a campaign offline. I don't get into these skirmish dogfights http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

Xiolablu3
10-25-2005, 09:15 AM
Why not team up with anyone on the server? Thats what I usually do.

If I am getting hammered I spot the closest fighter and ask 'Hi XXXX, shall we go together? You want to lead or cover?'

75% of the time you get an answer yes and they usually want to coverhttp://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Pick a server like UKded1 with externals and plenty of action so that you can hone your skills and all of the regualrs there will be glad to help you learn http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

BelaLvgosi
10-25-2005, 09:17 AM
Hey, always remember that some have endless hours of il2 and spend every free time on time. So if you have a life, can shoot some down and don't let this game be intrusive on you daily life, you are a winner anyway.
I bet my stats are way worse than yours, at first I'd get frustrated for being shot down a lot and no amount hardware upgrades either on cpu or joystick could save me from that. But heck with it, I always have a ball and salute the opponent that shot me down, then try not to do the same mistake.
Also remember that il2 isn't only about late war etc, there are a lot of servers with much more leveled airplanes, and also even on those you fly. There are a lot of crates to experiment and maybe you can find a new fave ride, even if less forgiving , but can also force you to fly with more discipline and that can be way more rewarding if you have to hit refly.
On those days I always miss passes ang get shot down a lot, I pick a bf110 and have some fun blowing up tanks and ground targets. It's also a bang when you encounter a b25 or a20 on your way and you have a full cannon setup http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif.
What I want so say is, every problem you might have on playing is fixable, and even if you don't care for it, there's also a lot to experiment (tip: some epic jabo action!)!

crazyivan1970
10-25-2005, 09:22 AM
As far as skills go, Repo is up there, be sure - He can teach many a thing or two. Don`t think he needs a lessons on flying, just needs a break, that`s all. Also...flying P-40s in the same game with K4s and Dora`s is ball##y but kinda of suicidal http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Airmail109
10-25-2005, 09:45 AM
Recently I got bored of FB_ACe_PF....been flying the IL2 sims for 4 years, since it was released....so I just moved on to LOMAC....heheh now thats a challenge...bloody annoying moving gun piper...grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/53.gif

GR142_Astro
10-25-2005, 09:53 AM
So long Repo.

I think you are on the right track so good luck with whatever hobby/sport you pick up. Check back in from time to time and if the bug ever nips you again, then come on back. On thing I will say, is that when I went from 56k to cable things got a whole lot more fun.

I've been both saved and shot down by you, so here's a big &lt;S&gt;, and enjoy life whatever you do.

http://www.ww2guide.com/f4u-1.jpg

Kuna15
10-25-2005, 10:33 AM
Hey mate I'm sorry that I see you leave in spite the fact that I never flew with/against you (maybe I am at some point but I can't remember).

Anyway, I never really flew some servers that have 'realistic' like settings (however offline I do enjoy these settings), because I didn't have (proper) hardware nor do I have it now, and as you mentioned it isn't really a good feeling to be constantly shot down inspite a lot of experience with sim by a guys that have better hardware.

So on not so usual occasions when I fly online I fly on some pit off icons on (limited) servers like UK_dedicated1 which is about ideal for my taste/hardware.

S!

danjama
10-25-2005, 10:55 AM
Well, i would offer to fly with you and maybe calm u down some but i dont have much to teach! If you ask me, i would say go onto comms with some guys, and when u get shot down, just swear it out. Get really angry, then go after the nearest enemy plane and blow it up with ur guns! Just hammer down! My biggest relief to being shot (especially pilot kills) is to swear as im chasing the bandits away! Im ashamed of it but it helps so much. Just ask mapletiger http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif Honestly, some nights i get shot down in full real servers, then i am known to go off in a heap and join JGOldies (a fun no real boundaries server) and take my Anton up to 5000m where i come down again at 650kmh and blow everythin down there to kingdom come! That definately clears the abse area of enemies; bloody great fun. Or may i suggest Coops (like everyone else has). They are objective based and also time limited, so u dnt have time to get PO's only time to focus and survive. Thats where the fun and immersion is at!

Jagdgeschwader2
10-25-2005, 11:00 AM
I only get to fly once or twice a week due to my work schedule so I'm most definately not the best pilot online. I still enjoy it though and can't ever imagine leaving. I think you should just take a break from it for a while. Once an IL-2 addict always an IL-2 addict. You will be back be sure. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

http://home.earthlink.net/~jagdgeschwader26/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/jagdgeschwader2s.jpg

MLudner
10-25-2005, 04:15 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by repoman11:
I don't want you to take this the wrong way Civil;this is not intended to be critical of the game on my part. I don't think the game is the problem. I think I'm the problem. If my best effort merely gets me from very bad to just plain bad, it is time for me to move on to some field of endeavor where I finish up feeling good about myself. And this just isn't it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, friend, I know just how you feel. I recently had my first experience on-line and I was ruthlessly butchered. the best I got was that I chased one guy into a lake ... but was then promptly creamed by a buddy of his. I went in right next to him.

Difference is: I'm not giving up. It's just a game, no one really dies ... it's just ego. Let it go and it's a lot more fun.

repoman11
10-25-2005, 08:01 PM
It seems opinions on my skill level vary. Thanks for all of your kind words. But however skilled I actually am, I can't help but feel I should be better than I am after putting all of the time in that I have.

I'll admit to being kind of hardheaded about the way I play. I've never played this game without the cockpit (it just isn't right for me that way), and I've lost all interest in playing offline since discovering I could manage online play with my poor connection speed in September of 03.

I won't deny that I was suffering from bad day spillover yesterday. But my frustration level has been growing for quite some time. To all who have asked, I've explored the alternatives, but my choice is either a 28.8 dial up connection, or satellite. And since I've heard that satellite is terrible for online gaming, it hardly seems worth the high expense for me.

I use the best ISP available, and I have a hardware modem. On a few servers gameplay is is pretty decent (as far as ping goes), but I can't imagine that would be the case if I were to try and use comms.

Since comms use some bandwidth, I've worked under the assumption that I have none to spare at 28.8, and I've never tried them. And with one hand on the mouse, and another on the joystick, you can't ask for help when you're in trouble.

This game is only one of many reasons that I'd love to have some form of broadband. The fact that none is available in spite of living so close to a decent sized city in northern California is a sorry state of affairs. But my choice is to live with it or move, and rent dictates that I stay right where I am.

It is silly for me to say I'll never come back; but I'll certainly be taking a long break and thinking things over before I stop by Best Buy and buy PF again.

But thanks for wishing me well. You're a good group of people even if you have nearly driven me over the edge by killing me so many times.

civildog
10-25-2005, 08:48 PM
ell, then...if your mind is made up (for now)..now is a good time for you to let out all that frustration by playing (in case you haven't):

FarCry
HalfLife2
Silent Hunter III

There are some really good grognard type WW2 wargames that can be played by email and are for the serious WW2 historical type.

Like Steel Panthers: World at War
It's free and even has stormoviks in it. And I'm always looking for new opponents.

Taylortony
10-25-2005, 09:12 PM
you will be missed, Don't go, try a break and you will see how much you miss a game you love, heck i'm 40 odd and i still love it, try skinning or film making too, i find skinning as rewarding as flying them........... take a break and reconsider please. you dont need to fly alone, i dont use teamspeak etc but i would be glad to fly with you online http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif and work with you, who knows we may even get a few kills http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

wayno7777
10-25-2005, 09:23 PM
Heck, you're leaving and I still haven't been able to upgrade to a rig I can actually play the game on online....

jensenpark
10-25-2005, 10:05 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by blairgowrie:
I have to agree with some of the earlier posters. Find yourself a group and fly coops. It is much more enjoyable than Hyperlobby.

And if you think you are too old; I have almost 30 years on you. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ha! You have 30 years on dirt!

GAU-8
10-26-2005, 02:08 AM
repo..

good things that go agrravating usually deserve a break. sometimes a long one.

as refreshing this game is, you need something to take your mind off of this from time to time. find another hobby, preferably something outdoors, or at the bare minimum nothing computer related.

we'll see ya around again http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

LeOs.K_Walstein
10-26-2005, 08:40 AM
Repoman! I`m 42 years old familyman and I run the game with not at all the best equippment. Still I enjoy. "They" always kill me and though I kill "them" sometimes, they kill me again and again! I have very hard time in seeing anything not to mention aiming fire. But still I fly and enjoy!

Take a brake and we shall see if you are going to get better internet connection in future. After a good vacation you might find it refreshing to re-find this game.

Have a good time anyhow whatever you do,
Wallstein

alert_1
10-26-2005, 12:49 PM
Hi Repo! I feel your paine, I'm 47 and teh sim is just my child dream coming true, flying the IL2 from fall of 2001, ahving more then 2000 online tracks on my HD and guess what..I'm not even close to be an ace, I'm flying and fighting online with one goal: just stay alive and contrubute to team effort as good as I can, that's all but I enjoy every second of it! Don't give up please i thought I saw you on virtual pilots and you was't bad at all, not everyone (me sure not) is gifted to be fighter pilot (even not virtual one) but that's not rason to leave...

SeaFireLIV
10-26-2005, 01:02 PM
Repo, you could try FEAR. It`s an 18 rated horror FPS, but very satisfying when you find yourself facing four gun-toting men in a room, go into matrix-slow mode and end up on the opposite side of the room with you standing with a smoking gun and 4 men just starting to fall to the floor, dead before they even hit the ground!

You`ll feel superior after that! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

danjama
10-26-2005, 01:13 PM
Ive got FEAR i really like it! A whole dofferent ball game to this.

BSS_Goat
10-26-2005, 01:16 PM
Repo, after reading all the post trying to convince you to stay, I think you should probably run for some sort of political office. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif
S! to a virtual nice guy! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/11.gif

Waldo.Pepper
10-26-2005, 01:18 PM
This is the longest goodbye since Casablaca.

|Exciter|
10-26-2005, 02:01 PM
"I snapped my game cd into bits"... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/cry.gif
Anger management classes helped me, tho i got peed' off at my teacher and quit http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif

But seriously why waste a good cd instead of passing it on to a fellow friend/simmer so they can get mad at it as well http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_eek.gif, maybe he or she would have better luck handling getting killed online http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif..As far as not having highspeed; i wouldn't even bother flying online without it. So i feel your pain there.
Sorry to see a fellow simmer go , even tho i dont know ya, it's still a bummer...

rnzoli
10-26-2005, 03:11 PM
The truly ironic part of this thread is that I thought about exactly the same thing a few days ago. When I seem to stop getting better, a big element of motivation is gone, and spending time online just to be a target for others isn't worth it.

But also maybe you have put too high expectations on yourself, and you find that your equipment/poor connection blocks your aspirations. Then blame the real culprit please, your slow modem access, not your skills, and not your game.

Clan_Graham
10-26-2005, 04:34 PM
Why do you have to be a "good" pilot in order to have fun?

I've been getting shot down right, left and center in this game for four years and I'm still having fun in it.

It's not the skill. It's the thrill. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif