PDA

View Full Version : OT New computer at a decent price.

darkhorizon11
10-06-2005, 04:23 PM
Hey I'm not too much of a video game nut, this and San Andreas is pretty much all I've been playing lately. My school-issued laptop handles PF alright but I still don't think I'm getting the full potential out of the game and I just don't think shes gonna cut it with BoB.

With thats said I want to step up to a PC. Can I get some tips on saving money and getting a faster PC thats upgradable for something somewhat affordable, I really don't want to spend much more than 700 or so, mind you I do already have a stereo and a monitor its just a PC that I need.

Thanx!

darkhorizon11
10-06-2005, 04:23 PM
Hey I'm not too much of a video game nut, this and San Andreas is pretty much all I've been playing lately. My school-issued laptop handles PF alright but I still don't think I'm getting the full potential out of the game and I just don't think shes gonna cut it with BoB.

With thats said I want to step up to a PC. Can I get some tips on saving money and getting a faster PC thats upgradable for something somewhat affordable, I really don't want to spend much more than 700 or so, mind you I do already have a stereo and a monitor its just a PC that I need.

Thanx!

danjama
10-06-2005, 04:46 PM
you cant go wrong with a build like this one.

socket 939 mobo (asus an8) = 115
athlon64 3000+ = 100 (make sure venice cored)
1 gig of 400mhz ram (3200) = 90
a gfx card anythin from a 9800 to a 6600, dependin on budget. = 150
CD drives are dirt cheap = 40
Western Digital 160gig HD = 80

Sorted! Thats a quality gaming rig right there for under 700 quid. Buy the stuff and build, or if u cant (u dont sound too puter savvy no offence) buy the parts and pay some1 to build it. The 939 socket is future proof and even dual core capable and its PCi-EX. One of the best mobos around apart from my DFi.

horseback
10-06-2005, 04:49 PM
My first inclination would be to build my own.

Oh, wait a minute, I've done that...five or six times. It's never cost me more than $600 US (so far) and I've always managed to stay fairly close to the cutting edge.

Make a list of the things you want/need, start watching the local computer stores' ads, and acquire them while they're on sale, saving the processor/motherboard/RAM purchase for last. My current building project is almost at that point: I have an Antec Gamer case, a 120Gb SATA HD, a 16x DVD/RW and a DVD drive(it handles everything a CD/ROM would, plus it plays DVDs without potential damage), a decent floppy drive, and a 460W power supply.

I'm still trying to decide whether to go with another P4 3GHz+ with hyperthreading, or go the Athlon 64 3500+/PCI-Express route (thereby losing use of my trusty USB CH Products HOTAS and pedals). It is likely that an irresistable discount deal at Frys' electronics will make my decision for me at some point in the near future...

cheers

horseback

PS: when I do finish the new computer to my satisfaction, there will be a year-old 3.0GHz P4 with a 80Gb HD, a 9800 Pro AGP card, a Gb of DDR RAM, and an Audigy soundcard available for well under $700...