PDA

View Full Version : Windows Vista

WTE_Ibis
09-22-2005, 04:28 AM
Has anybody heard that the new operating system will not allow open GL to work correctly??
Apparently Bill in his wisdom has decreed openGL as dead. Anybody know???? especially Oleg.

Cheers, Ibis.

WTE_Ibis
09-22-2005, 04:28 AM
Has anybody heard that the new operating system will not allow open GL to work correctly??
Apparently Bill in his wisdom has decreed openGL as dead. Anybody know???? especially Oleg.

Cheers, Ibis.

WOLFMondo
09-22-2005, 04:43 AM
Its early days yet, It won't be out for at least 1 more year so lets see what happens in that time.

Kocur_
09-22-2005, 07:38 AM
So we have plenty of time to do something with that VISTA. I mean...N(ew)T(rouble), or (e)X(pect)P(roblems) http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

p1ngu666
09-22-2005, 07:53 AM
its probably on your local torrent site http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

did ponder about gettin it, dont think i will now http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

Ankanor
09-22-2005, 08:26 AM
A friend of mine tried it. He said it was more stable than XP Pro, even it feels that way. The new IE7 has tab browsing and looks better than the old one.
Now the not so good stuff. This stability comes at 290 Mb RAM in idle mode. The minimum requirements are AFAIK 512 Mb and 1.5 CPU. Add to this the very limited possibility of customizing, shtutting down processes you don't need(and they have different names http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif)

As he summarized: "I'm not buying another 512 for the good looks of Bill's new kid"

WOLFMondo
09-22-2005, 08:59 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by p1ngu666:
its probably on your local torrent site http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

did ponder about gettin it, dont think i will now http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Why bother, you can download it from Microsoft if you look in the right placehttp://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

BaldieJr
09-22-2005, 10:42 AM
I'm feature-locking my computing. I don't plan to make any more upgrades till 2010. I may get a tir3 though.

WOLFMondo
09-22-2005, 10:57 AM
You won't get many new features with Vista. They already binned the biggest change which was a change to the core file structure. Vista looks like its going to be XP with a Mac OSX.4 skin over it.

Aaron_GT
09-22-2005, 12:36 PM
OpenGL support won't ship as a default part of Vista. But then the OpenGL support as default in Windows XP is poor. This doesn't mean that graphics card vendors won't supply drivers which include OpenGL. Given that OpenGL is used in a lot of first person shooters and it absolutely required for high end cards that support CAD then I think we'll see graphics card drivers with OpenGL support.

notamuppet
09-22-2005, 12:45 PM
Hi... I would be more interested if Il2 and BoB could run on LINUX

airjunkie
09-22-2005, 01:00 PM
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-surprised.gifI went through 8 hurricanes

Leave the coast now!

VW-IceFire
09-22-2005, 03:55 PM
Several things are emerging from Vista's development.

1) It was a serious OS but now its just a glitzy makeover (all the serious stuff was scrapped)
2) Overbloatedware - Bigger, heaftier, and less efficient seemingly than its predecessor
3) They haven't a frickin clue what they are doing over there.

The next revolution for Windows should be, smaller, faster, quicker, more efficient, and easier to use. Glizy interface is nice...I like the glitz, but it has to be useable and it has to be darned fast working on the lowest basic hardware (I mean you can't shoot too low but seriously!).

Ankanor
09-22-2005, 07:09 PM
WEll, it seems at least to me the Vista is aimed at people who don't really use their PC for very elaborate operations, but at the same time can afford (much)more expensive PCs than they actually need. A fine example was a friend of mine, doing his doctorate, who ordered the best parts available(and I mean a 3.06 HT Pentium, 1 Gb low CL DDR400, the best graphic card, etc. right after they became available) for a PC to do his chemical calculations. Now it wasn't his own money, it was the university's money but he could do the calculations just a notch slower with a PC a third of the beast's price.

Also, this way the hardware industry is stimulated. Everybody's happy. And the end user, "well, he's just a purchaser, you know, most of them can't say the difference between a MHz and Mb" http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/51.gif

Pirschjaeger
09-22-2005, 08:53 PM
As soon as I get a few things straightened away I'll start learning Linux. I figure the time that I have spend messing around with Windows would have made me a Linux expert by now.

A few days ago I finally took the chance and upgraded my WinXP to SP2. My pc was working relatively well before this. After, constant freeze-ups and very slow performance. I run every virus scan tool or program I could find but got no results.

Best solution was to reinstall my OS. I used Win2X this time. In my experience, it is much more stable than XP(btw, I don't play the IL-2 series anymore).

I guess you can say I've reached the end of my rope with the Windows series. When microsoft releases another OS I will get it and learn a little about it but that's it. I don't want to use microsoft OS's anymore. Everyone who I've talked to that uses Linux swears by it. I've never found one person who is satisfied with Windows and I've lost too much valuable time to Bill. I know exactly where Bill can shove his Vista.

Fritz

fordfan25
09-22-2005, 09:31 PM
i to whould like to learn linux. is all games that can play on winxp able to play on linux? is there a site that teachs how-to for it?

Pirschjaeger
09-22-2005, 09:54 PM
When you buy Linux, much cheaper than Windows, you get a manual with it. It fairly easy to use and there are also many support sites and forums. Just imagine going back to the first time you looked at Windows. Learning to use Linux now pretty much the same effort because you have aquired pc knowledge over the years.

Another nice thing about Linux is that there are many different versions. I'd recommend doing a google search and learn about it in general. Then you'll be able to choose the right version for you. You'll also find forums where you can ask questions.

Linux is not really owned by anyone and it makes good use of pc geeks. Imagine all the problems with Windows and so many experts out there that cannot do anything to help improve the Win OS. With Linux it is open. Many pc geeks take the time to improve and modify the programs and make them available to all. It's more like a community sharing OS and technology.

Another nice thing is that you do not have to pay for addon programs. Just download them.

I'm far from being any sort of expert with Linux but this is what I have read and been told. Maybe someone here, a Linux user, can confirm what I just posted.

Fritz

Pirschjaeger
09-22-2005, 10:04 PM
Just wanted to add more. It seems to me that Linux users understand how computers work much more than Windows users. That doesn't mean you must be a computer expert to use Linux. It's more like you understand computers much better once you learn to use Linux. Windows users seem to be limited to a "click and drag" way of thinking. This is very limiting.

I have seen the Linux manual and it didn't seem to be complicated. It takes you through the processes step by step while explaining what is happening. Linux also gives you more control of your pc and OS whereas Windows keeps you in the dark and feeds you sh1t, like a mushroom.

Once again, I'm no expert, but I'd recommend, since the cost is low, that you get a Linux OS and a very cheap outdated pc and start learning. Once you have installed it and used it on the old pc you'll be ready to use it on your regular pc.

Fritz

xTHRUDx
09-22-2005, 10:40 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by WTE_Ibis:

Cheers, Ibis. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

i can't say much due to NDA's i've signed but windows vista is designed with gamers in mind.
there are many interviews on the subject. just wash "windows vista games" through Google, and you'll find your info.

Aaron_GT
09-23-2005, 04:25 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">As soon as I get a few things straightened away I'll start learning Linux. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If you get something like Linspire there isn't much to learn.

With regards to the idea that the important stuff in Vista has been dropped, the important stuff is actually DRM. DRM lockout might make Linux untenable in that you won't be able to play music, etc., on it. It does leave Apple as an alternative, though.

WOLFMondo
09-23-2005, 05:32 AM
To put it from the perspective of a business, Windows is more attractive than Linux at the moment because of the costs. Linux actually costs more for a company wide roll out due to far higher setup and maintenance costs as well as in house development to tweak it to get what you want out of it. We've been down the Linux route where I work but are switching back to windows for the bulk of our servers and all desktops. Despite the security issues windows still cheaper in the long run when you factor in overheads.

Linux does have initial benefits and its good to know but its not the answer to M$'s grip in the industry at the moment. To few applications run on linux straight out the box and it incurs allot of overheads (for businesses). When this changes Linux will certainly take off in the main stream

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Pirschjaeger:

A few days ago I finally took the chance and upgraded my WinXP to SP2. My pc was working relatively well before this. After, constant freeze-ups and very slow performance. I run every virus scan tool or program I could find but got no results.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I found Sp2 OK.

Put it this way, I work in a company that tests software and XP Sp2 is the one that has the least bugs out of any Windows OS's.

Kocur_
09-23-2005, 06:15 AM
My personal experience is that WinXP/SP2 is the most stable OS in my PC ever. Im no expert in computers, but I know few guys who are, and their experience is XP before SP2 was quite lousy, after - is the best of all Windows. AFAIK SP2 changed, i.e.delivered brand new ~15% of XP code.

Pirschjaeger
09-23-2005, 06:16 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by WOLFMondo:
To put it from the perspective of a business, Windows is more attractive than Linux at the moment because of the costs. Linux actually costs more for a company wide roll out due to far higher setup and maintenance costs as well as in house development to tweak it to get what you want out of it. We've been down the Linux route where I work but are switching back to windows for the bulk of our servers and all desktops. Despite the security issues windows still cheaper in the long run when you factor in overheads.

Linux does have initial benefits and its good to know but its not the answer to M$'s grip in the industry at the moment. To few applications run on linux straight out the box and it incurs allot of overheads (for businesses). When this changes Linux will certainly take off in the main stream

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Pirschjaeger:

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I found Sp2 OK.

Put it this way, I work in a company that tests software and XP Sp2 is the one that has the least bugs out of any Windows OS's. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

What about Linux for personal use? What's your opinion on that? Do you think it will become mainstream in the near future?

As for SP2, the reason I went ahead and installed it was because it was a recommendation from my error reports. My IE was acting a little slow and freezing but only rarely. According to the report it was supposed to solve the problem when in fact immediately after the installation my pc froze almost continuously. To add, programs would close. I just got fed up.

What would be real nice is if Microsoft would provide and only diagnostics of Windows OS, something like PC Pitstop but not so general. Having problems with Windows doesn't bother me in the least but not being able to find the answer just @^&&*$#&((*^%$# annoys me.

Fritz

Pirschjaeger
09-23-2005, 06:18 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Kocur_:
My personal experience is that WinXP/SP2 is the most stable OS in my PC ever. Im no expert in computers, but I know few guys who are, and their experience is XP before SP2 was quite lousy, after - is the best of all Windows. AFAIK SP2 changed, i.e.delivered brand new ~15% of XP code. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I just formatted my disks and reinstalled XP. I'm gonna try upgrading to SP2 right away. We'll see how that works.

Fritz

Kocur_
09-23-2005, 06:36 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Kocur_:
My personal experience is that WinXP/SP2 is the most stable OS in my PC ever. Im no expert in computers, but I know few guys who are, and their experience is XP before SP2 was quite lousy, after - is the best of all Windows. AFAIK SP2 changed, i.e.delivered brand new ~15% of XP code. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I just formatted my disks and reinstalled XP. I'm gonna try upgrading to SP2 right away. We'll see how that works.

Fritz </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

My friends mentioned probs with SP2 installed over "old" XP. It would be the best to have copy of XP with SP2 already in...

Pirschjaeger
09-23-2005, 07:53 AM
Aha, mine is old from 2002. I have no choice though at this point. It's too hard to get and English version here. I guess I'll just keep trying to make this one work. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

Fritz

Ankanor
09-23-2005, 09:13 AM
If I'm not mistaken, there was an article in tomshardware.com how to build SP2 in a XPSP1. Mine was such, a friend made it for me in the early days before XP SP2 retails arrived. Failing this... there's always the torrent way http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

NorrisMcWhirter
09-23-2005, 09:27 AM

Same here.

Prior to XP, I was seriously considering moving to Linux but XP absolutely put a nail in that coffin. In the 3 odd years that it's been installed, I've had about 5 crashes where the machine reset, one of which was caused by me deliberately....and the PC is used daily.

OK, so Linux is stable and uses less resource but that's no help when you have nothing decent to run on it.

I'm not so sure that there will be no option for OpenGL available as backward compatability is a key issue for many people. Having said that, they wouldn't have to move onto Vista just yet or could probably run their old software under a virtual machine....not much good for gamers, admittedly.

Ta,
Norris

p1ngu666
09-23-2005, 09:44 AM
2k/XP is pretty much what i want, i havent tried linux, but PF doesnt run in it? and i do that, maybe some hl2, few odd games, irc +msn etc

B16Enk
09-23-2005, 09:59 AM
Aha, mine is old from 2002. I have no choice though at this point. It's too hard to get and English version here. I guess I'll just keep trying to make this one work. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

I think he meant an old install http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Linux has it's quirks, there is usually more than one way to do something. And each method is as valid as the other http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Gaming on Linux is improving, and the games that do run on Linux I'm told run better/faster.

I use Linux as a server, got a multi boot desktop but spend most time in XP due to IL2 etc. not having Linux versions http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

Vista take up will be interesting, corporations are tiring of the MS pressure to re-invest every2/3 yrs as is evidenced by the slow take up of XP on corporate desktops.
MS have to resort to withdrawing support on 'legacy' OSs to force the migrations.

Kocur_
09-23-2005, 10:19 AM
Errr, indeed I meant old install http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

pres_
09-23-2005, 10:45 AM
I only boot up windows for sturmo. That is its purpose.

There is a whole stack of bull that people put up with - viruses, browser exploits, spyware ... and the associated hassles, anti-virus, anti-spyware, sometimes each one three flavours because no single products covers the field. That's crazy, I like peace from that sort of hassle. So I use Linux. Linux is modular; it can be simple and undemanding or hefty and comprehensive. Nothing is concealed. There are no secrets in there, even down to the kernel source itself. That's an OS you can trust.

But I'm not going to lie, it's a bit of a tech adventure. If you are prepared to learn and do some work the reward is this thing will work for you. You will be the master and the machine will be the tool and the rightful balance will be restored. If you want to do nothing and just hold out your hand, well you'll be back to windows and shaking your head at Linux, just like millions of others. You can get headaches with both, it just depends what sort of headaches you prefer. The difference is Linux headaches go away, as you fix problems once and for all, and never come back. Windows problems breed.

I remember when AMD had a big edge on Intel going back three or four years, in terms of price and performance. Someone said AMD should have advertised "Cheaper, Faster. Are you stupid ?" and I feel similar sentiments concerning Linux. I could go on for hours like this, and often do, as you probably have guessed http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif but I'll spare you all any further religious fervour.

NorrisMcWhirter
09-23-2005, 11:01 AM
I can't install Linux, anyway - I'm allergic to sandals http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Ta,
Norris

Pirschjaeger
09-23-2005, 11:52 AM
Errr, indeed I meant old install http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, not too old. About 15 mins before I posted. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

Fritz

BaldieJr
09-23-2005, 12:06 PM
I used linux a long time ago but then I found freebsd. I can't think of a single reason to use linux.

Pirschjaeger
09-23-2005, 12:35 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BaldieJr:
I used linux a long time ago but then I found freebsd. I can't think of a single reason to use linux. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Details? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif

Fritz

Professor1942
09-23-2005, 03:15 PM
I tried Vista on my laptop (1.8 Ghz, 512 MB) and it was slower than a bag of ****. I couldn't see any reason to use it over XP.

BaldieJr
09-23-2005, 03:36 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BaldieJr:
I used linux a long time ago but then I found freebsd. I can't think of a single reason to use linux. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Details? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif

Sure:

Linux is garbage.
Freebsd is not garbage.

A unix advocate is not about to muck around with linux and all its flavors of fragmentation. In short: linux vs windows because they're on the same level.

arcadeace
09-23-2005, 04:28 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by pres_:
But I'm not going to lie, it's a bit of a tech adventure. If you are prepared to learn and do some work the reward is this thing will work for you. You will be the master and the machine will be the tool and the rightful balance will be restored. If you want to do nothing and just hold out your hand, well you'll be back to windows and shaking your head at Linux, just like millions of others. You can get headaches with both, it just depends what sort of headaches you prefer. The difference is Linux headaches go away, as you fix problems once and for all, and never come back. Windows problems breed. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I almost envy you, it sounds very appealing. I just don't have the time for another hobby http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

I use XP without SP2. As a single user I just need the added Internet security on those rare moments I use IE. Gibson‚‚ā¨ôs Research has the necessary software; a few small downloads, supposedly giving SP2 protection.

NorrisMcWhirter
09-23-2005, 05:07 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Arcadeace:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by pres_:
But I'm not going to lie, it's a bit of a tech adventure. If you are prepared to learn and do some work the reward is this thing will work for you. You will be the master and the machine will be the tool and the rightful balance will be restored. If you want to do nothing and just hold out your hand, well you'll be back to windows and shaking your head at Linux, just like millions of others. You can get headaches with both, it just depends what sort of headaches you prefer. The difference is Linux headaches go away, as you fix problems once and for all, and never come back. Windows problems breed. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I almost envy you, it sounds very appealing. I just don't have the time for another hobby http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

I use XP without SP2. As a single user I just need the added Internet security on those rare moments I use IE. Gibson‚‚ā¨ôs Research has the necessary software; a few small downloads, supposedly giving SP2 protection. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'd email the NSA if I were you...and ask what OS they're running http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif Also, mention the grc.com site.

Ta,
norris

arcadeace
09-23-2005, 05:18 PM
No thanks Norris I'm comfortable in my autonomous illusion http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

They have a problem with Gibson?

Aaron_GT
09-24-2005, 02:19 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">To put it from the perspective of a business, Windows is more attractive than Linux at the moment because of the costs. Linux actually costs more for a company wide roll out due to far higher setup and maintenance costs as well as in house development to tweak it to get what you want out of it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

One of the advantages of Linux is that you can set it up such that the maintenance costs are very low by booting single disk images and the like which means that patching and config changes are much easier to control. There are many ways to skin a cat here, of course. Windows' tools for managing large collections of machines has also improved, thankfully. It is also relatively easy to set up thin clients in Linux, although there is rumoured to be a thin client version of Windows coming soon. There are places that will sell you entire Linux thin client solutions.

If you are starting from scratch buying Linux rather than Windows is probably cheaper if your company is of a sufficient size and has good enough network infrastructure to run a thin client solution. You can then buy a number of powerful central server boxes located in a well provisioned server room and if your workers need more power you can simply trundle in more boxes. The boxes could also be configured to run Windows Server too (see below).

If you already have lots of existing PCs in the organisation the equation will be a bit different, though.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> To few applications run on linux straight out the box </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Most applications that are required for most businesses have equivalents that run on Linux. If there are some you can set them up to run via Wine, a full emulator (e.g. VMWare) or via terminal services on a Windows server.

Aaron_GT
09-24-2005, 02:23 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">A unix advocate is not about to muck around with linux and all its flavors of fragmentation. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

There are several flavours of BSD too. BSD tends to lack even the driver support of Linux which makes it rather problematic for a consumer OS. BSDs are great for servers, though, or in a corporate situation in which hardware options are tightly controlled, or for Apple (ditto on hardware control).

NorrisMcWhirter
09-24-2005, 03:20 AM
Not to my knowledge. I've always found Gibson's site to be very useful although I think he gets a little excited at times http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Ta,
Norris