PDA

View Full Version : The Mystery Game

stix489
09-11-2008, 01:32 AM
Alright guys...time to get thinking! =D

Instead of just sitting there mindlessly waiting for something to happen (like maybe a certain game coming out), why not use that brain of yours and have some fun!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

The game is this:

I will provide you information on a certain case; the information includes:

- Incident/Crime
- Back-story
- Suspects
- Story
- What the suspects had to say for themselves

All you have to do, is tell me which suspect is responsible for the incident/ crime in question. Now, in order to get you thinking, and not just guessing, here is what you have to do:

1- Provide the name of the suspect (choose ONE person from the list provided)

2- Provide at least ONE paragraph of information. In that information, state WHY you think that person guilty. Also, make sure that your information makes sense, and is not made up!

3- You can only post the official "Case Post" once. And after that, you cannot change your mind by re-posting, or editing your initial post. Discussion about the case is allowed, but it is to be kept to the MINIMAL! NO OFF-TOPICNESS PLEASE.

Okay, let's begin:

Case: 001

Incident/Crime:

Murder

Back-story:

Ashley Turner, a 29 year old woman was murdered. Several cuts and bruises were found on her neck.

Tools of murder: ]

None found.

Suspects:
- Jonathan Bale: Businessman, and close friend.
- Margarete Benz: Neighbour.
- Haley Smithson: Sister-in-law.
- James Nathan: Ex-husband.

Story:

Twenty-nine year old housewife, Ashley Turner was found dead on her kitchen floor. No tools of murder were found on the scene. The kitchen window was broken, glass shattered on the outside of the window, leading to a back alley.

On the victim's cell phone, was the number 0435689121. The number belonged to James Nathan. The first suspect is introduced.

The front and back doors locked from the inside. A leather jacket found hanging near the entrance. The jacket contained an ID. One Jonathan Bale is identified.

Two coffee mugs found on the kitchen table. DNA test prove that one of the mugs was used by Ashley Turner, and the other, by one Margarete Benz.

Police reports claim that Ashley Turner only ever had legal disputes with one individual. And this person is her sister-in-law Haley Smithson; the fourth and final suspect.

Truths are lies in disguise]

Jonathan Bale: "I would never harm her, she was my closest acquaintance, I would never do such a horrible thing! The thought of her being choked and killed like that hurts my very soul"

Margarete Benz: "I was just drinking coffee with her, not even an hour ago. How could this happen? And to think that no-one saw the killer running through the back alley...This is truly horrible"

James Nathan: "Just because she was calling my number, it doesn't mean anything! Why would she be calling her killer? It makes no sense why I am even here"

Haley Smithson: "Sure, we've had our shares of...heated discussion...but that doesn't make me a killer! I never liked the woman, but that gives me no excuse for murder"

None of the suspects were shown the body after the incident. And none were allowed near the victim's house.

WHO IS THE MURDERER?

stix489
09-11-2008, 01:32 AM
Alright guys...time to get thinking! =D

Instead of just sitting there mindlessly waiting for something to happen (like maybe a certain game coming out), why not use that brain of yours and have some fun!

The game is this:

I will provide you information on a certain case; the information includes:

- Incident/Crime
- Back-story
- Suspects
- Story
- What the suspects had to say for themselves

All you have to do, is tell me which suspect is responsible for the incident/ crime in question. Now, in order to get you thinking, and not just guessing, here is what you have to do:

1- Provide the name of the suspect (choose ONE person from the list provided)

2- Provide at least ONE paragraph of information. In that information, state WHY you think that person guilty. Also, make sure that your information makes sense, and is not made up!

3- You can only post the official "Case Post" once. And after that, you cannot change your mind by re-posting, or editing your initial post. Discussion about the case is allowed, but it is to be kept to the MINIMAL! NO OFF-TOPICNESS PLEASE.

Okay, let's begin:

Case: 001

Incident/Crime:

Murder

Back-story:

Ashley Turner, a 29 year old woman was murdered. Several cuts and bruises were found on her neck.

Tools of murder: ]

None found.

Suspects:
- Jonathan Bale: Businessman, and close friend.
- Margarete Benz: Neighbour.
- Haley Smithson: Sister-in-law.
- James Nathan: Ex-husband.

Story:

Twenty-nine year old housewife, Ashley Turner was found dead on her kitchen floor. No tools of murder were found on the scene. The kitchen window was broken, glass shattered on the outside of the window, leading to a back alley.

On the victim's cell phone, was the number 0435689121. The number belonged to James Nathan. The first suspect is introduced.

The front and back doors locked from the inside. A leather jacket found hanging near the entrance. The jacket contained an ID. One Jonathan Bale is identified.

Two coffee mugs found on the kitchen table. DNA test prove that one of the mugs was used by Ashley Turner, and the other, by one Margarete Benz.

Police reports claim that Ashley Turner only ever had legal disputes with one individual. And this person is her sister-in-law Haley Smithson; the fourth and final suspect.

Truths are lies in disguise]

Jonathan Bale: "I would never harm her, she was my closest acquaintance, I would never do such a horrible thing! The thought of her being choked and killed like that hurts my very soul"

Margarete Benz: "I was just drinking coffee with her, not even an hour ago. How could this happen? And to think that no-one saw the killer running through the back alley...This is truly horrible"

James Nathan: "Just because she was calling my number, it doesn't mean anything! Why would she be calling her killer? It makes no sense why I am even here"

Haley Smithson: "Sure, we've had our shares of...heated discussion...but that doesn't make me a killer! I never liked the woman, but that gives me no excuse for murder"

None of the suspects were shown the body after the incident. And none were allowed near the victim's house.

WHO IS THE MURDERER?

ScytheOfGrim
09-11-2008, 05:36 AM
Copy/paste fun.

"The kitchen window was broken, glass shattered on the outside of the window, leading to a back alley."

Now here's some interesting wording, and it would force me to assume that it was done as such to encourage confusion.
"Glass shattered on the outside of the window", after reading this I immediately understood that the glass had been shattered from the outside, had it said, "Shattered glass on the outside of the window", I would have jumped to your conclusion; that the fight inside broke the glass.
But here comes the last twist: the next clause reads, "leading to a back alley".

When reading it as such, the mind begins to imagine the situation, and don't know about you, but when I see it as I read this last part, I see myself flying from inside the kitchen to the alley, not the other way around.
Had Stix been thinking in this manner when he wrote it?
This easily leaves the fact of the broken glass suspended, because we can't be sure what was meant thanks to tricky (or plain bad, in which case you'd better explain, boy) wording.

James Nathan and Haley Smithson obviously do not share the last name, despite being relatives.
Of course, there are a number of possibilities here too: either one could have easily changed their name, but why? Could it be linked to the dispute? Some sort of shame? I don't think so, and actually think it's irrelevant.
The second reason could be because Haley is married, which brings more interest into these "legal disputes".

Margarete's statement causes interest to rise too...
"And to think that no-one saw the killer running through the back alley..."
Even if they did, what would they do?
What would they think?
How would they know that he/she killed someone?

And this brings me to another point... Ashley was killed in the kitchen...
If the murderer entered from the window, as I like to believe for absolutely no valid reason, Ashley obviously had no time to react.
She didn't escape the kitchen, but did she try?
And if she did, the time doesn't make sense. How can someone break through a window, then climb through and reach her before she can run away?
This would lead one to assume that the kitchen door was already locked and closed; she didn't have the time to get the keys, open the door and run.
Unless, of course, she was paralyzed as everything occurred, which I doubt.

But what if the killer came through the front door?
Was the front door open? If not, did the killer have a key? And how?
That would lead you to believe that the killer was someone really close... or someone that was really close, like an ex-husband.
Or someone really close to the ex-husband, like his sister.

They could have locked the door behind them to ensure that Ashley couldn't escape. They then made their way to the kitchen, where Ashley was. They must have locked the kitchen door for safe-measures.
Now is where it branches.
Ashley may have tried to break through the window, but the cuts were on her neck, not her hands or arms.
The more plausible answer is that Ashley was smashed into the window, but even this is incorrect because it lists her injuries as only to the neck, none to the head.
What I think is the answer is that after strangling her, the killer made their way out of the window, by breaking through it, but this contradicts my natural reasonless belief that the killer entered from behind.

So, if this is a listing of what they did, how about who did it?

Nobody was allowed near the house, and nobody saw the body.
What Stix did is obvious; he gave each suspect a reason to be suspected, but this reason isn't in the listing of why they are suspects, it's in what they say.

Jonathan Bale knows how she was killed, even though he never saw the body.
Margarete Benz knows how the killer escaped/entered, despite not being allowed near the house.
James Nathan and Haley Smithson are both relatives, and both have a reason to dislike Ashley; one was the husband, the other had "legal disputes" with her, it's no hard task to both want to get rid of her, one for the past, the other for the present. To both of them, she was a pest.

The only unknown is the jacket with Jonathan Bale's ID in it. He could simply have forgotten it the last time he was over, or, as I like to believe, the jacket was actually Ashley's, and the ID was forgotten by Bale during his last business meeting with her, but why would she leave it in her jacket? She simply forgot?

Knowing all this, you can't accuse one more than the other, which makes it a blind guess.
Unless there's a slight misunderstanding in what Stix wrote, you might as well pick from a hat.

I blame Margarete Benz for the murder. She was the last person with Ashley. She knew where Ashley was. The door may have been locked by her, and Ashley would not have suspected much of it. It would have not been so hard to sneak up on Ashley as she washed out the coffee mugs, with her back turned to her killer. Leaving through the front door was impossible, someone was sure to spot her and remember about it. The window was her best bet.

Too many unknowns for my liking...

Epically long too... @_@

Kid_Phazon
09-11-2008, 05:59 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Jonathan Bale: "I would never harm her, she was my closest acquaintance, I would never do such a horrible thing! The thought of her being choked and killed like that hurts my very soul"
</div></BLOCKQUOTE> The only reason I think it's Johnny.

stix489
09-11-2008, 06:06 AM
Interesting...hmmm....

http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Kaxen6
09-11-2008, 08:28 AM
If the glass was broken towards the outside (the glass shards are on the outside, not in the kitchen, I'm reading correctly?), that would imply something from inside the kitchen went out, not the other way around?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Margarete Benz: "I was just drinking coffee with her, not even an hour ago. How could this happen? And to think that no-one saw the killer running through the back alley...This is truly horrible"

Jonathan Bale: "I would never harm her, she was my closest acquaintance, I would never do such a horrible thing! The thought of her being choked and killed like that hurts my very soul" </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If Mararete hasn't seen the crime scene, how the hell does she know the person ran through the back alley? She doesn't know which way the glass broke. Why would she assume the killer used the back alley?

And Jonathan Bale... how does he know she was choked? What's the nature of the cuts on Ashley's neck?! Barring some crazy bastard with sharpened nails, if you choke someone with your hands, you shouldn't be able to cut them... unless you choke them with like... a rope or something... hurum...

&gt;_&gt; I say Jonathan and Margarete teamed up and murdered.

ScytheOfGrim
09-11-2008, 08:31 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Tag-team fun on the ropes.

If people would bother with reading whatever the heck it is that I typed up, you'd understand a little bit more... &gt;_&gt;

Kaxen6
09-11-2008, 08:33 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ScytheOfGrim:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If people would bother with reading whatever the heck it is that I typed up, you'd understand a little bit more... &gt;_&gt; </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Big text wall is big. @_@'

caswallawn_2k7
09-11-2008, 09:16 AM
it was the buttler or the maid its always one of them http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/shady.gif

ScytheOfGrim
09-11-2008, 09:44 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Kaxen6:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ScytheOfGrim:

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If people would bother with reading whatever the heck it is that I typed up, you'd understand a little bit more... &gt;_&gt; </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Big text wall is big. @_@' </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I know.

Imagine had I not pushed "Enter" so frequently... @_@'

LaurenIsSoMosh
09-11-2008, 11:15 AM
Stickeh, you're evil (http://www.stripes.com/article.asp?section=104&article=33332&archive=true). http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-indifferent.gif

Coincidence, lol?

stix489
09-11-2008, 03:58 PM
Haha wow! I knew nothing about this xD

Anyway, good job for the rest of you who are actually trying http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

blarson11
09-11-2008, 04:11 PM
it never states anywhere that the cops didn't tell them what happened, despite them not being near the scene of the crime...

Tela
09-11-2008, 04:40 PM
Too bad we don't know the layout of the house. It could've been one of those where the kitchen has a door that leads right outside, which would explain why it would have a lock. Ashley may have let in the neighbor from that door, locked it behind her, then sat down for a cup of coffee/whatever they were drinking.

Maybe then someone knocked on the front door, Ashely would go to answer it, and it would have been Jonathan. He would step inside, and she would lock thefront door. Both doors are then locked, as in the report.

She or he would hang up his coat, the murder would take place, and then the murderer(s?) would flee through the window.

That would explain how Jonathan's coat was left, how he knew how Ashley was murdered, and also how Margarete knew which way the murderer fled.

Something that caught my attention, though, was that Jonathan was a business partner,and that Ashley an Haley had had legal disputes. Maybe somehow connected? It never said that Jonathan and Haley didn't know each other(as far as I can remember)

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/shady.gif

LaurenIsSoMosh
09-11-2008, 05:06 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by stix489:
Haha wow! I knew nothing about this xD </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I didn't either until I looked up the names on Google.

I checked Google because I thought you had just gotten this game from some other site, so I could look up the answers. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_razz.gif<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Anyway, good job for the rest of you who are actually trying http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_razz.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>So checking Google for answers isn't trying? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-indifferent.gif

Kid_Phazon
09-11-2008, 06:47 PM
When will it be revealed!?

spazzoo1025
09-11-2008, 07:31 PM
cool idea, Adib, too bad I CAN'T FIGURE IT OUTTTT!! lol

kew414
09-13-2008, 02:24 AM
I honestly can't be bothered putting a lotta thought into this knowing that it will be one of those things that takes a farfetched ridiculous story that is only JUUUUST hinted at by the hints http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

the_assassin_07
09-13-2008, 08:27 AM
Stix you... you... &gt;_&gt; I'll stick to the LBP one, thanks http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/shady.gif