PDA

View Full Version : Question on the P51 ammo

Dr...Watson
11-26-2004, 04:05 PM
I heard that the P51 was armed with 50 cal API rounds. Armour piercing incendury. It explodes on impact of another aircraft wing for example. Is this type of ammo modelled in the game or are all rounds the same, just bigger cal makes more damage.

Every 10th shell was a tracer, near the end of the ammo, every shell was a tracer to warn the pilot that they were short of ammo, is this modelled in the game?

Just wondering, would be cool if it was.

3.JG51_BigBear
11-26-2004, 04:28 PM
Damage changes depending on what type of round the weapons are firing. I thought the tracers were every fifth round but I could be mistaken and no the colors do not change in the game.

LeadSpitter_
11-26-2004, 05:03 PM
also in most cases only 2 guns carried the 1-10 tracer rounds, usually the starboard "outer wing guns" but it varried on pilot some used no tracers at all.

Another thing is the m2 .50 was sycronized to fire 2 .50 cal at a time from inner 2 to the outer guns from one trigger. As you can see in training films and convergence tests with the flashs of the gun going back and forth in a zigzag.

So the 8 .50 cal on the jug for example increased hitting power by having a faster rof. but still fired all guns in syncs of 2 firing at a time

this is the problem with the recoil on m2 .50 I think oleg had it correct in early patches but what was wrong is the guns fire all at once which gave us 8x the recoil or 6x on the mustang.

Still its nothing we cant get use to even if its not historically accurate.

The_Great_Stonk
11-26-2004, 07:06 PM
i believe one of the versions of the p4- ( i tihnk its the p40e field mod) has its guns firing as you describe, you see a constant stream of tracers moving sidways in a zig zag when you fire, instead of all traces being clumped together.

VW-IceFire
11-26-2004, 07:51 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dr...Watson:
I heard that the P51 was armed with 50 cal API rounds. Armour piercing incendury. It explodes on impact of another aircraft wing for example. Is this type of ammo modelled in the game or are all rounds the same, just bigger cal makes more damage.

Every 10th shell was a tracer, near the end of the ammo, every shell was a tracer to warn the pilot that they were short of ammo, is this modelled in the game?

Just wondering, would be cool if it was. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Someone correct me if I'm wrong but the API bullets, on impact, cause the little flashes on the target.

Thats your explosion http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Not a cannon so no explosive shell.

JG53Frankyboy
11-26-2004, 08:47 PM
Browning .50
// APIT - AP - HE - AP

APIT
mass = 0.0485
speed = 870.0
power = 0.002

AP
mass = 0.0485
speed = 870.0