PDA

View Full Version : Help with upgrading CPU..

Mon Pavion
10-09-2004, 12:01 AM
So the next up grade on my comp i am getiing will be the CPU. Going from a Intel P4 2.0 GhZ to ...? What do ou guys think i should look into getting?

Specs:
P4 2.0GzH
1024 DDR
GeForce 6800GT 256 Meg
Windows XP
Some crappy sound board and not sure what kind of mother board. By the way, how do you look to see what kind of mother board you have. Its a custom built rig, so do I just have to call the guy who built it, or is there a way to look it up in the comp?

203Ku_Takasaki
10-09-2004, 12:17 AM
I just upgraded to the AMD FX53 64bit. I believe it is the fastest gaming chip currently on the market. However because of that it is still a bit pricey. The only motherboard that I found that was compatible was the Asus SK8N.

I have the above mentioned system with the same video card you have, 1 Gig of RAM, and an Audigy2 sound card.

I run AEP with every setting maxed out, at 1600x1200 resolution, and it screams. The game is smooth as glass. I even ran the new Medal of Honor Pacific Assault demo with everything maxed out at 1600x1200 res and it ran smooth as glass. That is very satisfying considering a
lot of people are complaining that they cant run the MOH PA demo at high settings because it is too taxing on their systems.

I also think you will find most die hard gamers prefer AMD to Pentium. At least that is what I have found by browsing benchmark and gaming boards. I personally have never owned an Intel Pentium chip.

Here is a quote I found on a recent benchmark site review in comparing AMD to Intel...

"generally AMD performs better on gaming applications while Intel excels in Media Encoding. The end user will have to decide what is more important to them."

fordfan25
10-09-2004, 12:24 AM
first we need to know what brand you have now "for upgrade options",how much you are willing to spend.if you current rig will not upgrade much farther than it already is youll need a new mobo,cpu,and posably a new psu "if it runs that card then probly wont need a new psu"if you have a dell, gateway, hp ect. then your options are a little more limated.

203Ku_Takasaki
10-09-2004, 12:28 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by fordfan25:
first we need to know what brand you have now "for upgrade options",how much you are willing to spend.if you current rig will not upgrade much farther than it already is youll need a new mobo,cpu,and posably a new psu "if it runs that card then probly wont need a new psu"if you have a dell, gateway, hp ect. then your options are a little more limated. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Very true, I had an Alienware type of box and could easily upgrade. I pretty much rebuilt my PC from the ground up. The only parts I kept were my box, power supply, and all my drives. I replaced almost everything else. It wasnt cheap but I also run my business off of my PC. I made my upgrade a business expense.

fordfan25
10-09-2004, 12:31 AM
yea i just went through the whole deal with a dell so i know all about upgrade problems.i finally gave up and built a new one lol.just depends on what he has now and how much hes got to spend

Mon Pavion
10-09-2004, 12:46 AM
Like I said before, I am not sure what kind of mother board i have. Plus, seeing how i just spent $350 on that new video card, I dont have too much to spend right now. I will probably just have to wait till after christmas before I think about upgrading again. I dont even know much about the prices of newer CPU's. How much did that AMD FX53 64bit cost you Tak?

fordfan25
10-09-2004, 01:01 AM
i dont know what he payd but i can tell you that most iv seen run up from 700.00 US. very pricy.newegg has it for 817.00and thats just for the cpu.but if your planing to "upgrade"then your going to need to find out what mobo you have so you know what chips it suports

Mon Pavion
10-09-2004, 02:28 AM
SEVEN HUNDRED DOLLARS?!!!!!!

Well then...forget that. Ill make do with something else

Yellonet
10-09-2004, 02:36 AM
Maybe you should look into getting a PIV 2.4GHz as they supposedly are very OC-friendly. Could probably get it up to 3GHz with proper cooling.

Edit: Overclocking is pretty hard to screw up and won't destroy the CPU if done right. Give it a go. Intel processors are especially friendly to OC'ing as they run at quite low temps on default speeds. But do some reserch before you start tampering http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

stansdds
10-09-2004, 06:13 AM
Here is a site that might be helpful as you shop for computer parts.

http://www.pricewatch.com/

And here is one with reviews of components and they also keep an eye on CPU and memory prices.

http://www.sharkyextreme.com/

LuckyBoy1
10-09-2004, 07:02 AM
The bad news is that for your Zloty's, you purchased a rather limited upgrade; but wait, all is not lost! The good news is I suspect you don't have to chuck the motherboard, just the CPU. See Luckyboy's Guyide For Complete Users. It has a link to a steve v approved tool that will tell you what motherboard you have. Find out what's the fastest CPU your motherboard will support and BEFORE you buy it, post what you want to do over in Community Help.

LStarosta
10-09-2004, 08:19 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by LuckyBoy1:
for your Zloty's <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

lol, Luckyboy, are you Polish by any chance?

Mon Pavion
10-09-2004, 05:25 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by stansdds:
Here is a site that might be helpful as you shop for computer parts.

http://www.pricewatch.com/

And here is one with reviews of components and they also keep an eye on CPU and memory prices.

http://www.sharkyextreme.com/ <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks for that link. Its very helpful in getting a quick look at prices of stuff.