PDA

View Full Version : "Moral" rules

Mylo42
07-10-2005, 11:34 PM
In reading Runyans log post, I enjoyed reading of his "moral rules" that he intends on using on his patrol. I, as well, have moral rules that I use to enhance my gaming experience. I would be interested in knowing what some of you guys add as "rules" to your patrols.

1 - I only reload external stores while stopped AND in weather that I can use my AA gun (7m/s).

2 - As Capt., I must "sleep" for 6 consecutive hours per game day. During this time, I am not allowed to do anything except evade attack (air/DC). The crew has strict orders not to wake the Captain. I know this isn't entirely real as I'm sure Capts were woken up regularly in the "middle of the night" but I wanted to somehow simulate dealing with my own fatigue.

3 - I used to restrict deck gun use but with the new version of RuB, I don't.

4 - I only use radio / read messages while surfaced. I realize as well that U-boats may have had the capacity to receive / transmit underwater but.....my boat isn't equipped with that technology.

5 - I must have crew in the torpedo rooms to fire the torpedo and not just reload it. The "green bar" must be at least half to fire.

6 - If I am in time comp mode at it slows to 8x due to an airplane in the vicinity, I'm not allowed to dive until the airplane is actually spotted.

7 - I must stay within or adjacent to my assigned patrol grid.

8 - I am going to start using the "can only fix external damage" while stopped and in calm weather rule.

Just a few for thought.

Mylo42
07-10-2005, 11:34 PM
In reading Runyans log post, I enjoyed reading of his "moral rules" that he intends on using on his patrol. I, as well, have moral rules that I use to enhance my gaming experience. I would be interested in knowing what some of you guys add as "rules" to your patrols.

1 - I only reload external stores while stopped AND in weather that I can use my AA gun (7m/s).

2 - As Capt., I must "sleep" for 6 consecutive hours per game day. During this time, I am not allowed to do anything except evade attack (air/DC). The crew has strict orders not to wake the Captain. I know this isn't entirely real as I'm sure Capts were woken up regularly in the "middle of the night" but I wanted to somehow simulate dealing with my own fatigue.

3 - I used to restrict deck gun use but with the new version of RuB, I don't.

4 - I only use radio / read messages while surfaced. I realize as well that U-boats may have had the capacity to receive / transmit underwater but.....my boat isn't equipped with that technology.

5 - I must have crew in the torpedo rooms to fire the torpedo and not just reload it. The "green bar" must be at least half to fire.

6 - If I am in time comp mode at it slows to 8x due to an airplane in the vicinity, I'm not allowed to dive until the airplane is actually spotted.

7 - I must stay within or adjacent to my assigned patrol grid.

8 - I am going to start using the "can only fix external damage" while stopped and in calm weather rule.

Just a few for thought.

blue_76
07-11-2005, 12:22 AM
the only 'moral' rule i use is kill or be killed! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif
its war.

Mylo42
07-11-2005, 07:20 AM
Blue,

.....fair enough. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Kaiser_W
07-11-2005, 12:22 PM
Taking the long way around the british isles, because due to mines, the southern route was impassable for submarines.

Mylo42
07-11-2005, 04:41 PM
Good one Kaiser,

Do you mean it was impossible to get through the channel ? Does any body have any facts regarding U-Boats sunk in the channel ?

aaronblood
07-11-2005, 04:50 PM
I think the only thing so far that I find REALLY egregious is the transport of torps from the external bays in incredibly bad weather (and maybe even night).

...and I try to stay away from the poles, or as I like to call it Mercatorland. "Aye Captain we've discovered a vast unchartered ocean up here!"

Oh... and I've earned enuf medals myself so I don't need to sleep. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

stinkhammer6
07-11-2005, 09:36 PM
Sink everything in your path, since you know germany loses in the end anyways, may as well take down as much as you can. Sink that liner of nice people, surface then have everyone on the bridge hoist up a beer and yell PROST! (cheers) Then turn your rudder to them.

Mylo42
07-12-2005, 12:19 AM
I'm not suggesting I use these rules to give the enemy a fighting chance. I use them because I feel they add a little to the realism factor. I was just wondering if anybody else was doing something similar and that maybe I could steal one of their ideas, like I did with Runyan's "Fix external damage when stopped" rule.

runyan99
07-12-2005, 12:27 AM
Actually, I don't have any rules about reloading externals or repairing external damage, but your suggestions seem to make sense. I might incorporate those.

I'm not sure if they would stop the boat to bring in externals or not, but I'm pretty sure they would not attempt it in anything but calm seas.

doug.d
07-12-2005, 01:02 AM
Rule 1. If it floats and moves, sink it.

Rule 2. If it floats but doesn't move, query it with the deck gun. If it then moves or starts burning... see rule 1.

Rule 3. If it flies, listen for squawks or engine sounds, if engine sounds, shoot it down.

Ahhhh.... the simple life, can't beat it. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif

RedTerex
07-12-2005, 01:13 AM
Just go by these and you wont go far wrong !

Murphy's Military Laws:

Never share a foxhole with anyone braver than you are.
No battle plan ever survives contact with the enemy.
Friendly fire ain't.
The most dangerous thing in the combat zone is an officer with a map.
The problem with taking the easy way out is that the enemy has already mined it.
The buddy system is essential to your survival; it gives the enemy somebody else to shoot at.
The further you are in advance of your own positions, the more likely your artillery will shoot short.
Incoming fire has the right of way.
If your advance is going well, you are walking into an ambush.
The quartermaster has only two sizes, too large and too small.
If you really need an officer in a hurry, take a nap.
The only time suppressive fire works is when it is used on abandoned positions.
The only thing more accurate than incoming enemy fire is incoming friendly fire.
There is nothing more satisfying that having someone take a shot at you, and miss.
Don't be conspicuous. In the combat zone, it draws fire. Out of the combat zone, it draws sergeants.
If your sergeant can see you, so can the enemy
Tracer rounds work both ways.
If you think its time to get out, its too late.

Kaiser_W
07-12-2005, 01:28 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mylo42:
Good one Kaiser,

Do you mean it was impossible to get through the channel ? Does any body have any facts regarding U-Boats sunk in the channel ? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I just finished reading a book on U nboots. Turns out Doenitz had to send his subs around the long way, because like in WWI, the channel was mined at the east end...

Blabaer
07-12-2005, 05:16 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by doug.d:

Rule 3. If it flies, listen for squawks or engine sounds, if engine sounds, shoot it down.

Ahhhh.... the simple life, can't beat it. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

....If it squawks - shoot it down anyway and eat it...(afterall it could be a trick or a new invention...sorry to complicate the life...or did it just get easier??)
...(just use the finer caliber...fresh meat is never wrong)

REDTEREX.....
Murphys.... - a beauty!!!!http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gifhttp://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gifhttp://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

doug.d
07-12-2005, 05:54 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Blabaer:
....If it squawks - shoot it down anyway and eat it </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
A seagull hit by a 20mm flak gun cannon shell will leave only the a-hole and some feathers, I'll stick to the sauerkraut and wurst. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

aaronblood
07-12-2005, 02:38 PM
Maybe not use the magnetic settings on the T2 since they were so unreliable. Seems like in the game they are VERY reliable when set to run slow, even in the roughest seas with duds on and so forth the things have worked great for me.

Mylo42
07-12-2005, 03:23 PM
I guess I failed to make my point..... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-indifferent.gif

aaronblood
07-12-2005, 03:28 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mylo42:
I guess I failed to make my point..... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-indifferent.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You don't think the no mag torpedo rule applies?

Mylo42
07-12-2005, 03:32 PM
aaron,

I was referring more to Red and Blab.

ajoleary
07-12-2005, 05:18 PM
I've added a role play element to my most recent career.

After returning from each mission, I role a dice three time for each of the different levels of personnel. (Officers, W/Officers, Sailors).

My first role is for the Officers - If I role a 6 the I must transfer one of my officers from the boat.

Second role if I role a 5 or 6 then I must transfer either one or two W/Os respectivly.

Finally, the third dice 4,5,6 will mean one, two or three sailors must depart.

This in effect means that I must continue to monitor the fatigue levels of my guys, even after many missions have been completed. Additionally, it makes it difficult to specilise my crew (especially the Officers), before they are 'Posted off'.

Makes an interesting twist!

aaronblood
07-12-2005, 05:19 PM
Yeah, I've just come to expect and ignore the nonsensical replies...

Most of us knew what you were gettin at.

aaronblood
07-12-2005, 05:23 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ajoleary:

After returning from each mission, I role a dice three time for each of the different levels of personnel. (Officers, W/Officers, Sailors).

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That is interesting... I guess I'd be inclined to program something similar in Excel to do something maybe a tad more sophisticated than just a dice role. I just don't have any feel for probability of a t-fer, etc.

Anyone have any thoughts along those lines?

stinkhammer6
07-13-2005, 02:21 PM
Wait until you hit mid 41 and after, you are about to attack a convoy and suddenly you cant fire due to the WP officer is tired and refuses to work, you fix that problem, then you cant open outer doors, gee that officer is too tired as well, you fix it yet again, oh no your angle is wrong, urm, cant move? OHHHH that officer is tired too. Youve just been detected. Shall I go on?

Keep rolling your dice like that and my sub will be rolling over a mass graveyard of your previous subs.

aaronblood
07-13-2005, 02:54 PM
Well... I think he's just swappin out some folks. Burning up a small amount of renown to replace with one or two non-green sailors.

It would at least keep the crew management gameplay moving along. I'm on my 22nd patrol and have reached a point where I don't have any officers or pettys that I can give a new qualification to.

I doubt a few noobs on the boat are going to cause all that much trouble... just a bit of an added challenge. An interesting twist I think.

Remix_
07-13-2005, 09:41 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ajoleary:

Makes an interesting twist! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Did you play a little too much Dungeon and Dragons in your youth ?

Let's hope that in SH-IV we get to roll 3d6 for the stats of each crewmember...

I can already see myself thinking: "oh... with 18 in strength, let's put him in the torpedo room."

stinkhammer6
07-13-2005, 09:57 PM
18 strength? NO NO NO NO NO, you want to put the storm giant in there with the blue dragon, they both have a +82 hit probability and +200 evasion likelyness.

ajoleary
07-14-2005, 05:52 AM
Stinkhammer: As much as I appreciate the benefits of your experiences, I'm midway through my Second career after completing the first with near on 1.1 million Tons. (At about 70% realism)

Now I'm Apr 1941 @100%, whilst using my dice method to facilitate a posting cycle. As I've spent most of my adult life in the military, I'm fully aware of the difficulties experienced due to postings and the impact that this will have on achieving ones goals. I can assure you, that often this is where REAL military personnel management lies. Perhaps you might gain a new appreciation for the required skills of a U-Boat Captain should you adopt similar rules.

I'm sure that your 200K+ VII-B boat will roll over plenty of my sunken boats in it's worldly travels, but if I was after an arcade hit & giggle game, I wouldn't be employing the methods that I am.

This thread was requesting that people share their 'Moral' rules, and at least Aaronblood has decided he likes the idea of adopting a posting cycle - As this occurred in real life!

There are a number of people who read this forum for the insightful comments of others and to assist fellow gamers wherever possible. It would seem from this and from most of your other contributions, that you are not one of them. Mock me if you wish, as I still read these forums, but gloss over any entries of yours (as I've done for sometime). I just hope others are not put off reading this forum because of the few who continually berate those who put their ideas on here.

Siliconchild
07-14-2005, 07:34 AM
To Mylo42 and ajoleary
I for one am quite happy you posted your game style and have adopted most of the rules to my own game.
Along with my one death per career I find it adds a great deal of "fear" to the game as well as a bit more life to the game in general.

Now I have read some views on cherry picking (only taking the big stuff) and my thoughts are that if you have the chance to sink a small 2 ton merch or wait for a big T3, that it would be a greater value to the war if I waited for the big fish. Tonnage and rep won't play a big part in my game as I doubt I will live past 10 or 12 patrols, so it's not a greed thing for me. Did the real U boat captains shoot everything or pass the smaller stuf by looking for better targets? Maybe if the grids were not so packed with ships this wouldn't be a valid question. I noticed that the real aces had low tonnage compared to my 550k on my 8th patrol.
Right now this is my fist game and I feel it's more a traning run as my settings are only at 65% with no mods, but the flag and sky mod. Next time it's real mod city and maybe I will dig out my D6's from 15 years ago and and give your system a try.
Thanks for breathing more life into my game.
Siliconchild.

mbabbs
07-14-2005, 09:11 AM
For realism enthusiasts then 100% realsim with RUB is essential.

In addition to this I only load external torps in good weather during daylight hours. The same goes for external damage.

I only use the deck gun on tonnage less than 5000 tonnes.

Once the 24 hour patrol is complete I extend the patrol zone to all the zones adjacent to the zone designated by the mission and I patrol this area for the remainder of the outing. If I receive a contact report that is outside this zone, but is reachable, then I go to it, make the attack and then return to the patrol zone.

.... I like it anyway.

aaronblood
07-14-2005, 02:59 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mbabbs:
For realism enthusiasts then 100% realsim with RUB is essential.

In addition to this I only load external torps in good weather during daylight hours. The same goes for external damage.

I only use the deck gun on tonnage less than 5000 tonnes.

Once the 24 hour patrol is complete I extend the patrol zone to all the zones adjacent to the zone designated by the mission and I patrol this area for the remainder of the outing. If I receive a contact report that is outside this zone, but is reachable, then I go to it, make the attack and then return to the patrol zone.

.... I like it anyway. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I might give RUB a shot. Although from what I've read I think they way over-did-it on the deck gun reloads. Be better to have faster reloads but only let the crew shoot; I think.

DiveDevil
07-14-2005, 05:44 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Sink that liner of nice people, </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

One more time....
passenger liners were converted to troop transport during WWII, thats why their in this sim and why they come up as enemy contacts. I know I'm not the only one who knoes this.

stinkhammer6
07-15-2005, 02:54 PM
When one makes a post about rolling dice to make decisions on who to remove or replace for a game such as this, then surely as you typed it you were expecting such responses in reference to dungeons and dragons, and I wasnt the only one, but when saying things like that, you cant expect someone not to bring it up, it was all in good fun but Im finding that you take little jokes way too seriously and should lighten up. Also you could have worded it differently so it didnt have that flair of an RPG type game or posting.

I have spent a great deal of my life in the military as well so you need not explain on how things go in the service, there are quite a few in here who were in the service or still are. I got out this last sept due to medical, I blew a knee out jumping out of or off of a truck too many times when we were taking gunfire in iraq.

Mylo42
07-16-2005, 01:59 PM
Ajole,

I like your idea and plan on using it. (Now where did I put all those 1d4, 1d8, 1d10, 1d12, and the big 1d20 ??). I have no military / naval background so I wasn't familiar with the regularity at which crewmen were rotated on and off boats. This is the kind of idea I was looking for when I originally posted this thread.

aaron,

Ya, go with the RuB mod and 100%. There are times when I patrol my zone (assigned grid as well as adjacent grids) for weeks without running into a contact. It makes finding, tracking, and killing one, that much more rewarding. It addresses the "should I kill a small guy or wait for the big one ?" question. I think that if a Capt. in game decided to let a small one go so that a torp isn't wasted, that is "realistic". However, I was on day 10 without so much as hearing a contact when a "small fish" was discovered. I hunted and killed a coastal merchant. When the pickin's are slim, you have to get what you can. I made this decision based on the fact that my patrol zone wasn't very "convoy ripe". (darn BdU). As for the deck gun reload time in RuB 1.41. At first, I didn't like it, it took too long I thought. Now, I do like it as the conditions have to be "that much better" in order to use it effectively. In other words, you have to have a lot of time to sink a merchant with the deck gun. The long reload times are supposed to simulate the fact that although the gun didn't take that long to physically load, it did take a certain amount of time to aim accurately, especially if the sub was moving at all in any kind of swell. I think it took me about an hour (game time) to sink a coastal with the deck gun, which seems about right. (I use 8X time comp to speed with process a little if it's just me sitting on the surface blasting away at some lonely merchant.)

stink,

I think ajole was just venting a little frustration at the fact that you frequently criticize ideas/opinions posted (jokingly or not, it can get annoying) that were meant to, in some way, inform or make comment to the SHIII community for the better.....that's all. I'm with ajole in saying that "slams" don't do a whole lot to better the enjoyment of playing SHIII. ( prepares to get "slammed" http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-indifferent.gif )

Hope your knee gets better.

stinkhammer6
07-16-2005, 02:22 PM
I had no intention on doing any harm, my first post on this thread was pointing out what could happen if you have constant new people in your tub. None would have medals to aid the boat so the medals awards screen would be useless. The D&D joke was followed by one who initiated it and was all in good fun. I tried making amends in the last posting but if it will make him feel better, I got a complete set of glass dice with smoke swirls in them which are kinda cool.

Mylo42
07-16-2005, 08:45 PM
....hey, I've got a set of those too somewhere.... http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

stinkhammer6
07-16-2005, 09:39 PM
But did yours come in a handy dandy super neato black velvet bag and matching draw strings? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-tongue.gif kidding I bought that at another store.

Mylo42
07-16-2005, 10:22 PM
You've got me on that one.

Coooooooool. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

rory208
07-17-2005, 01:24 AM
Rule #1 : I stop giving orders after 4 martinis and retire to my quarters for some "me" time.

Rule #2 : No burritos on Tuesday nights because Wednesday is latrine cleaning day.

Rule #3 : This is not a cruise ship, no more referring to the conning tower as the "Lido Deck"

Rule #4 : When I say "Crash Dive" I DO NOT mean send us to the bottom when we clearly only have 20 meters below us!

stinkhammer6
07-17-2005, 06:09 PM
I dont know where its at but I have an original first edition box set of D&D, wonder what its worth........