PDA

View Full Version : New to IL-2

SLH1972
03-16-2009, 10:16 PM
I am new to IL-2, The question I Have sticking in my mind is, Why do I keep geting told to stick to my leader, I try but I keep losing him. Any help or tips would be great. Also looking for a squad to get with, ummm one with understanding and training, apperciate all the help.

SLH1972
03-16-2009, 10:16 PM
I am new to IL-2, The question I Have sticking in my mind is, Why do I keep geting told to stick to my leader, I try but I keep losing him. Any help or tips would be great. Also looking for a squad to get with, ummm one with understanding and training, apperciate all the help.

tagTaken2
03-17-2009, 01:29 AM
If he's going too fast after you take off or while flying b/w checkpoints, you can try turning on the autopilot (A), the AI has superpowers.
Alternatively, you can start as leader.

K_Freddie
03-17-2009, 01:54 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by SLH1972:
Also looking for a squad to get with, ummm one with understanding and training, apperciate all the help. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Plenty of those around ... just browse the forum.
http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

Bearcat99
03-17-2009, 06:15 AM
Hit the Nugget's Guide in my sig.. and consider Joint Ops, also in my sig... a virtual flight school... it is free and it is very well run.

Choctaw111
03-17-2009, 07:01 AM
Hello and welcome to the wonderful world of Il2 and this forum.

SLH1972
03-17-2009, 08:02 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bearcat99:
Hit the Nugget's Guide in my sig.. and consider Joint Ops, also in my sig... a virtual flight school... it is free and it is very well run. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

OK joined Joint OPS just waiting for approval, also last night I did my first mission, but when it was over all my squad did was fly out over the ocean and did circles, It didn't end or land anywhere, so now I have to do the mission over because I exited through the ESC key and pushed Quit mission. Maybe someone can help me with this one. Also where is a good place to learn ACM or read up on it for WWII aircraft. Thanks, love the game BTW

danjama
03-17-2009, 10:18 AM
I'm so happy to see new people still coming to Sturmovik after all these years, it's amazing.

I recommend this bunch of guys. I have flown with them for years, before they were even a squad -

Delta Chevron Squadron (http://deltachevron.com/)

Of course, most other squads are very respectable and fun to fly with, so take a look around and see what suits you. Flying with excellent pilots early on will accelerate your own learning 10 fold IMO.

danjama
03-17-2009, 10:19 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by SLH1972:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bearcat99:
Hit the Nugget's Guide in my sig.. and consider Joint Ops, also in my sig... a virtual flight school... it is free and it is very well run. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

OK joined Joint OPS just waiting for approval, also last night I did my first mission, but when it was over all my squad did was fly out over the ocean and did circles, It didn't end or land anywhere, so now I have to do the mission over because I exited through the ESC key and pushed Quit mission. Maybe someone can help me with this one. Also where is a good place to learn ACM or read up on it for WWII aircraft. Thanks, love the game BTW </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey when you finish a mission, you must order your flight to return to base! Hit Tab&gt;8&gt;3

When you quit, hit APPLY.

killersquad1960
03-20-2009, 07:49 PM
Well if your talking about dynamic campaigns make yourself the highest ranked, so your the leader
thats what i do

jamesblonde1979
03-20-2009, 09:11 PM
I am new to IL-2, The question I Have sticking in my mind is, Why do I keep geting told to stick to my leader, I try but I keep losing him. Any help or tips would be great. Also looking for a squad to get with, ummm one with understanding and training, apperciate all the help. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's just a quirk, if you follow the headings they give you'll probably end up finding Atlantis or something.

I wish there was a mod to delete this cr@p.

Swivet
03-21-2009, 09:59 AM
Why do I keep geting told to stick to my leader, I try but I keep losing him. Any help or tips would be great.. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You have to watch your flight leader like a hawk. and stick to him like glue. Most AI will be easy to follow, but when your with a human opponent that's flying all over the place and off-waypoint, or in clouds, or loading up a dozen other programs to make his or her so called "flight experience" more realistic, and basically not paying attention. Or their flying too slow and your constantly trying to match his/her speed, then they suddenly dive on a bandit thru the clouds and you end up losing him, that can be a bit annoying when they come over comms and say: "where are you"..Meanwhile here you are being chased by 10 other bandits while your looking for him, who is casually gunning his own target while eating cheetos. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/51.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

You really have to just follow and match their speed and manuevers constantly. It takes practice and patience, which is something i lack, but when the action starts and your covering someones six, then a bandit ends up on your six, that's it. Your gonna have to take evasive and leave your flight leader. But when ya do that then nobody has a wingman, but its good practice to stick with him or her as best and as long as you can. In some circumstances it will be nearly impossible, it's good to fly with a human wingman on live comms to really appreciate this.