PDA

View Full Version : synchronicities, coincidences, shooting two foes in a 1 sec burst or...

raaaid
04-14-2006, 10:07 AM
the weird crashes that happen in the game that go against chance many times

i would tell some anecdotes of mine concerning coincidences but im sure youve experienced plenty

whats the origin of these coincidences?

most are explained by unknown proved facts like precognition but what about the others?

raaaid
04-14-2006, 10:07 AM
the weird crashes that happen in the game that go against chance many times

i would tell some anecdotes of mine concerning coincidences but im sure youve experienced plenty

whats the origin of these coincidences?

most are explained by unknown proved facts like precognition but what about the others?

Chuck_Older
04-14-2006, 10:10 AM
Feeling Jungian today? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

I think it has much more to do with how the sim sees and generates it's 'reality' and how it presents it to you. Some aspects have to be cyclic

I've never had the sim itself crash, but if it did, typically these things happen to me at least with an audio loop. I can easily see how if there was a large explosion, which is graphically taxing on the PC, that was paired with a sudden audio cue like a "boom!", that if the PC was at say 50% usuage already, that event could trigger it to jump to 100% usuage for some time, causing a hang-up, or if the PC was waiting for a software cue to continue, a crash

RxMan
04-14-2006, 10:43 AM
It's called Chaos Theory. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/53.gif

djetz
04-14-2006, 11:19 AM
Do you mean that the game itself crashes, or that the planes crash unexpectedly while you're playing the game?

I found that the game used to crash but stopped when I doubled my RAM. The game does "stutter" a little when there are many moving objects, by which I mean that the frame rate goes down in direct proportion to the amount of calculation that the CPU has to do.

That's the only correlation I've noticed.

But we've discussed this sort of thing before - I'm not a great believer in coincidences having any meaning.

RxMan says chaos theory will explain it - I say you don't even need to look at complex explanations, there are very simple mathematical explanations of coincidences. I would suggest you have a look at the wiki page on the Gambler's fallacy (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gambler%27s_fallacy).

djetz
04-14-2006, 12:26 PM
On the same topic, perhaps a better Wiki page to read would be this one:

Post hoc ergo propter hoc (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Post_hoc_ergo_propter_hoc)

(Don't worry about the Latin, it's fully explained)

Reschke
04-14-2006, 01:19 PM
Well if its the plane crashing unexpectedly that happens when I am on autopilot transiting to non-combat area about three to four times a night. For whatever reason the game doesn't like having to climb over obstacles/terrain features. Also those other AI dweebs that cut in front of you when you are firing on a Yak or more often when you play VVS and they dive in and hit you when you are going after a 109. Not to mention those AI dweebs that decide they want to be exactly in your airspace right then.

raaaid
04-17-2006, 07:07 AM
i just saw this in the history channel a b17 pilot wanted to thank a red tail p51 pilot after the war and he gave him a hug

talking they discovered they had gronw up together there was even a picture of them aged 6 and there they were together

Chuck_Older
04-17-2006, 10:24 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by raaaid:
i just saw this in the history channel a b17 pilot wanted to thank a red tail p51 pilot after the war and he gave him a hug

talking they discovered they had gronw up together there was even a picture of them aged 6 and there they were together </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Pure co-incidence. The world is full of them.

Two years ago I had to contact a company in Chicago about a custom project for my firm.

I had to get special permission for them to do it, from a man at my company. We are in Massachusetts.

The guy who had to sign off on the requisition worked for that other firm when he was a kid, as a stockboy, he hadn't been in Chicago for 30 years.

Just coincidence

People get 'deja-vu' all the time. It's a brain-fart.

people come up with conspiracy theories based on coincidences that they can't explain any other way. All a bunch of coincidences prove is coincidence exists. A million coincidences can show a fact, but they don't prove one

My Dad's birthday is Spetember 11th. His Dad's Birthday was...September 11th. Coincidence.

My Birthday is August 12th. (A month before, but a day later than, my Dad's) My cousin's Birthday is August 20th. A good friend has a birthdate of August 4th. They are all 8 days apart. All three of us are good friends

Coincidence. If I had gone to Embry-Riddle, I would have been in all my classes with a guy I met, years later, who shares my first name, and his birthday is August 11, 1971. Mine's August 12th 1971. He grew up about 50 miles away from me

Coincidence. Fact is often stranger than fiction

No planets aligned, no strange forces conspired. Coincidences are very rare. Think about all the times, every second you've lived, in which there weren't any coincidences that you experienced.

EiZ0N
04-17-2006, 10:33 AM
That's how I've always thought of it too.

Ever hear someone say (my mother used to say this) "We must be psychic?" when they phone someone who phones them at the same time?

How many thousands of times did they phone someone and they WEREN'T phoning back?