PDA

View Full Version : Crashing wingmen

dirkpit7
02-28-2008, 07:38 AM
I have the following problem when I play single player campaigns:

It happens whem I'm the wingman of my flight's leader, in other words number 2, 5, etc. of my squadron. When my flight returns from mission to home base for landing, the second pair of the flight starts to follow me (often the already do, when i've failed to cover the leader and he's been blown to pieces http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif).
The problem is that I can't give them orders to break off me, and when I make landing, they often crash to the ground. This is annoying especially in dynamic campaign because the squadron loses pilots and planes unnecessarily.

So, does anyone else have this problem? Is there any way to prevent it?

dirkpit7
02-28-2008, 07:38 AM
I have the following problem when I play single player campaigns:

It happens whem I'm the wingman of my flight's leader, in other words number 2, 5, etc. of my squadron. When my flight returns from mission to home base for landing, the second pair of the flight starts to follow me (often the already do, when i've failed to cover the leader and he's been blown to pieces http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif).
The problem is that I can't give them orders to break off me, and when I make landing, they often crash to the ground. This is annoying especially in dynamic campaign because the squadron loses pilots and planes unnecessarily.

So, does anyone else have this problem? Is there any way to prevent it?

general_kalle
02-28-2008, 07:47 AM
When concerning Flights or a whole squadron you can do following:

Comms > Flight/Squadron > Navigation > Return to base.

that should do it.

and as for your wingman.

comms > Wingman > Cover me

when you ask for Permission to land and its granted he will start cirkling the field and then land after you. at least ive seen that happen a few times but it doesnt seem to work flawless unfortunatly.

but its the best you can do.

buzzsaw1939
02-28-2008, 07:48 AM
You need to tell them to return to base.

dirkpit7
02-28-2008, 08:06 AM
Yes, I know that giving 'Return to base'-order they will land by themselves. The problem is, as no. 2 I can't give orders, there's no way to command them that I'm aware of.

dirkpit7
02-28-2008, 08:13 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by general_kalle:

when you ask for Permission to land and its granted he will start cirkling the field and then land after you. at least ive seen that happen a few times but it doesnt seem to work flawless unfortunatly.

but its the best you can do. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I haven't noticed that,but I will try it.

general_kalle
02-28-2008, 01:06 PM
not 100% safe but it have worked for me

PhantomKira
02-28-2008, 02:23 PM
I've had the exact same problem as #2. The only suggestion I have is that, upon landing, let the AI autopilot fly the plane; don't ask for permission to land yourself. I've found that when I do ask for persmision myself, the AI gets all befuddled, thinking there's someone on the runway (me), when there isn't. As a result, they (tower) tell everyone (including me) to go around.

The other option is to ignore tower, and just land, without telling them.

Kinda sorta answers part of the question. I'm sorry, I don't have an answer for your main problem (AI blindly following you, with now way to tell them to go away.)

dirkpit7
02-29-2008, 01:00 AM
OK, thank you for the answers.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> The other option is to ignore tower, and just land, without telling them. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

This is what I usually do, and the AIs follow me and crash. I think the reason is that as they try to fly on my wing, when I reduce speed enough they finally stall and hit the ground. What is puzzling though, is that they don't always crash, sometimes they just fly over me (very low and slow though) and then make their own landing.

I've noticed that asking permission to land is quite useless because I'm always cleared for landing, no matter how much traffic there is on the runaway!

As for autopilot: This is really the last option I'd like to use, I'd rather do the landing myself (altough I still crash a lot http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif).

I wasn't really excpecting there to be an easy solution for this. I hope both the comms and rank system to be much improved in SoW.

BWaltteri
02-29-2008, 06:02 AM
There are some difficult bugs in the landing, but you can avoid them. It is always safe to hit ESC once you've completed the mission because the realism can not always follow the player.

dirkpit7
02-29-2008, 09:25 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BWaltteri:
There are some difficult bugs in the landing, but you can avoid them. It is always safe to hit ESC once you've completed the mission because the realism can not always follow the player. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Do you mean quitting the mission after the 'Mission Completed'-message appears? No thanks. I think landing is very impotant part of mission, there must be a serious reason to exit without landing for me.

buzzsaw1939
02-29-2008, 11:10 AM
I don't know if it's been mentioned here, but I let them land first!

dirkpit7
02-29-2008, 11:53 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by buzzsaw1939:
I don't know if it's been mentioned here, but I let them land first! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'd more than happy to do that, but unfortunately they don't land unless they're told to do so, which I cannot do as I've explained before. Or actually they do land, but only if they are damaged of out of fuel. So, if they are intact, they stay glued to me.

cawimmer430
02-29-2008, 12:28 PM
Obviously these guys were rushed through pilot training! Probably only have 14 hours behind the stick! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

BWaltteri
02-29-2008, 01:04 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by dirkpit7:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BWaltteri:
There are some difficult bugs in the landing, but you can avoid them. It is always safe to hit ESC once you've completed the mission because the realism can not always follow the player. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Do you mean quitting the mission after the 'Mission Completed'-message appears? No thanks. I think landing is very impotant part of mission, there must be a serious reason to exit without landing for me. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The serious reason would be the planes cutting off their wings when they try to find space at the field. It happens with bigger birds.

Vanderstok
02-29-2008, 01:22 PM
I've had the exact same problem today while flying an offline campaign mission as #2. When the flightleader is shot to pieces the other pilots of your flight stick to you, no matter what you do and you can't order them anything because you are not the flightleader. This is possibly why in most campaigns you are instructed to start the career in the highest rank?

dirkpit7
02-29-2008, 01:58 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by cawimmer430:
Obviously these guys were rushed through pilot training! Probably only have 14 hours behind the stick! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

And they were not trained to land, only to fly in formation http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/51.gif

dirkpit7
02-29-2008, 02:03 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Vanderstok:
I've had the exact same problem today while flying an offline campaign mission as #2. When the flightleader is shot to pieces the other pilots of your flight stick to you, no matter what you do and you can't order them anything because you are not the flightleader. This is possibly why in most campaigns you are instructed to start the career in the highest rank? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Possibly one reason, but I think main reason for rank suggetions in user-made campaigns is to ensure that the player ends up in correct flight and plane. In fact, the crashing problem is not such a nuisance in static campaigns because it doesn't affect next missions...but immersion killer it is for sure, and annoying.

cawimmer430
03-01-2008, 03:40 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by dirkpit7:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by cawimmer430:
Obviously these guys were rushed through pilot training! Probably only have 14 hours behind the stick! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

And they were not trained to land, only to fly in formation http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/51.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

A very good example of poor pilot training! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

BWaltteri
03-01-2008, 04:31 AM

Possibly one reason, but I think main reason for rank suggetions in user-made campaigns is to ensure that the player ends up in correct flight and plane. In fact, the crashing problem is not such a nuisance in static campaigns because it doesn't affect next missions...but immersion killer it is for sure, and annoying. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't think ppl should look so much into the ranks when talking about the airforce. Airmen from corporal to colonel dine from the same table.

dirkpit7
03-01-2008, 04:49 AM

Possibly one reason, but I think main reason for rank suggetions in user-made campaigns is to ensure that the player ends up in correct flight and plane. In fact, the crashing problem is not such a nuisance in static campaigns because it doesn't affect next missions...but immersion killer it is for sure, and annoying. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't think ppl should look so much into the ranks when talking about the airforce. Airmen from corporal to colonel dine from the same table. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I completely agree. Rank doesn't tell how capable a pilot is/was. I also have the impression that ranks and mililtary discipline were less important among pilots than in other forces in WW2. Don't know how it is today.