PDA

View Full Version : Latest McAfee Update

timholt
10-11-2006, 03:58 AM
I have just upgraded with the latest all bells and whistles McAfee upgrade and now cannot find a way disable it.
Prior to this upgrade I always disabled it when playing F/B (because it interferred with the game) and prior to installing anything (because I have had instances where it corrupted an installation).
Has anyone who has upgraded worked out how to disable it? - I accept the fact I am a computer twit and it's probably bloody obvious.
But, oddly enough it does not appear to be interfering with the game anymore???????

timholt
10-11-2006, 03:58 AM
I have just upgraded with the latest all bells and whistles McAfee upgrade and now cannot find a way disable it.
Prior to this upgrade I always disabled it when playing F/B (because it interferred with the game) and prior to installing anything (because I have had instances where it corrupted an installation).
Has anyone who has upgraded worked out how to disable it? - I accept the fact I am a computer twit and it's probably bloody obvious.
But, oddly enough it does not appear to be interfering with the game anymore???????

STENKA_69.GIAP
10-11-2006, 05:14 AM
I've used Mcafee for many years and it has never interfered with running IL2 except when you have automatic updating running and an update kicks in while you are flying.

If you want to just disable it checking for updates or disable completely so that you have to manualy start it, download regcleaner (it's free - use google) run regcleaner and go to the Startup tab. Remove the entry for update and if you want any other bits of Mcafee.

This will not remove the software it will just stop it autostarting when you boot your computer.

Personaly I only disable updates,have never had a problem caused by Mcafee and would reccomend having it running - but then I'm online 90% of the time and need protection.

llaneilian
10-11-2006, 05:29 AM
I'm using the latest version of McAfee. I use FSAUTOSTART & disable McAfee (& all the other non-essential programs & services) with that.

It generally works very well, although periodically the firewall doesn't restart, but it's the work of a second to restart it manually from the taskbar.

willyvic
10-11-2006, 06:23 AM
The newest McAfee is stubborn little piece of programing. FSautostart will not kill everything. There is a RedirSvc.exe process that will not stay shut down. And, I find I have to kill the other processes at least three times before they stay offline. BTW I use the Task Manager to accomplish this. McAfee acknowledges that the RedirSvc can not be disabled. Sheeeesh.....I loathe proggys I don't have some control over.

WV

DuxCorvan
10-11-2006, 11:33 AM
Well, at least you still can open its SecurityCenter (right click on tray icon) and disable manually its main services (Protection Status, and then Configure).

KaleunFreddie
10-11-2006, 03:29 PM
Hint.... Anti-viruses generally are useless, except for visual entertainment. They hog most of your pc resources, grinding most PC's to a halt... 'We have found a virus - Commander Data'. Over my 26 years of playing/repairing/programming PC's and electronic goodies, I come to realise that the PC is really only good for one thing... GAMES... and ok.. a bit of work stuff http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/winky.gif

Now the trick is, to read the help file that comes with Windoze. This will give you more than enough info to avoid most problems. Also read the manual that comes with your 'modem'/netconnection installation disk, not to mention related stuff on the network.

NOW - If you have anything of value don't put it on a network, get another PC which remains disconnected.
Remember Bill makes his dough from giving you 90% working OS's, Macafee and the rest make their dosh by persuading you that Bill has not done enough and your PC is 'going to attack you' if you don't protect it from the evil worm empire, etc...etc.

Get a little utility called Regmon. When installing any software run this utility first (filters on). You'll know exactly what sh-1-t is installed into your registry, which you can edit out afterwards. Also just use your 'noggin' when browsing, reading email.....blah blah. there are only so many routes to entrap you on a PC http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

'Down with Big Brother'.. I say http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

F6_Ace
10-11-2006, 03:41 PM
Or, why don't you just use a Live linux distro, such as Slax, for surfing and email then you don't have to worry too much about getting a virus. Providing you are behind some form of firewall and you just use Windoze for purely gaming, it's unlikely that you are going to get a virus.

I wrote a little utility in VB for shutting down that virus checker and keeping it shut down purely for the reasons above...McAfee AV is very intrusive.

DHC2Pilot
10-11-2006, 11:07 PM
Go into Control Panel / Administrative Tools
Click on Services

There should be one entry for McAfee and two entries for Network Associates.....

You will have to disable these services as they will restart themselves after a short period of time if you simply stop them. Just remember to re-enable them AND start them when you're done playing.

timholt
10-11-2006, 11:58 PM
Thanks for the responses men. I am getting a new rig next week and before I load McAfee onto it I shall try some (or all) of your suggestions on this rig where it won't matter if I stuff up.
As stated on my originating post, this version does seem a lot less intrusive (for FB) than the previous one - anyone else notice this or am I dreaming?