PDA

View Full Version : Two Zeros found in a mineshaft in Solomons

F19_Orheim
03-20-2008, 03:04 AM
whatcha think about THAT!!!

http://www.simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&...=2473187#Post2473187 (http://www.simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2473187#Post2473187)

F19_Orheim
03-20-2008, 03:04 AM
whatcha think about THAT!!!

http://www.simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&...=2473187#Post2473187 (http://www.simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2473187#Post2473187)

BWaltteri
03-20-2008, 03:08 AM
There will probably be a similar situation happening as with the Finnish Brewster. Let's see who will claim to be the owner.

TgD Thunderbolt56
03-20-2008, 07:24 AM
I'm wondering what the documents are...

Capt.LoneRanger
03-20-2008, 07:49 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by TgD Thunderbolt56:
I'm wondering what the documents are... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

"We'll dig through the core of the world and attack the US from the inside."

F19_Orheim
03-20-2008, 08:18 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by TgD Thunderbolt56:
I'm wondering what the documents are... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I am not sure, but considering war documents have a tendancy to get destroyed, these (with the history behind it) could be some collector's dream... maybe just a cantina menu?http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

I doubt they would be more worth than the zeros though...

Mysticpuma2003
03-20-2008, 09:25 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

I doubt they would be more worth than the zeros though... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Unless they say where they hid all their treasure!?

Seriously this really needs a documentary crew working on it, it sounds amazing!

Cheers, MP.

BSS_Goat
03-20-2008, 09:49 AM
Very Cool! I hope it's true....but ya'll know some people make stuff up on the internet... http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_eek.gif

TC_Stele
03-20-2008, 09:59 AM
The engines! Are the engines still intact, I wonder.

crucislancer
03-20-2008, 10:22 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by TC_Stele:
The engines! Are the engines still intact, I wonder. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

And that's the million dollar question for sure. There's only one Zero with a working original engine, correct? Just one would be worth a boatload of money to someone. Two would be amazing.

Airmail109
03-20-2008, 10:31 AM
Huh If I found something like that Id be tempted not to bother with arguing over salvage rights,Id keep it quiet....get a few mates over...dissemble everything to the smallest parts then ship out bit by bit. Or smuggle them out.

Jaws2002
03-20-2008, 10:32 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by TC_Stele:
The engines! Are the engines still intact, I wonder. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Quote from the second page:
"I'm no airplane expert so all I can say is what is in the photos and I'm looking at one plane with the wings stacked against the hull, and the engine cover off, but engine is all there. The second is exactly the same but it looks like the engine was robbed for parts.

What condition are they in? I wouldn't fly in the f**kers. But there isn't any rust if that's what you mean and my ops manager reckons he could get one of the engines working if I gave him a half day. Like I said, we are working elevated and in a lateral shaft so damp not an issue."

I sure hope they don't try to start them. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/disagree.gif

DrHerb
03-20-2008, 10:49 AM
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/agreepost.gif

Let the experts do it

Tater-SW-
03-20-2008, 12:51 PM
The post also says it is ~20km SE of Henderson Field.

No Zeros (or any other japanese aircraft) operated from Henderson, it wasn't finished. The japanese usually flew in their planes, and in this case it would certainly have been possible from Rabaul.

I'm just not seeing the likelihood of IJN airplanes that far inland (and intact) on Guadalcanal. It's pretty hilly back there.

If it was in fact more East or ESE than SE, then it would be flat, but again, how did they get there? If they were delivered before the field was constructed (possible), then they'd have been left at the airstrip site. The japs pulled out the morning of the invasion, I have trouble believing they carted 2 planes by hand that far. They'd not have had time to take them apart.

Makes no sense.

Maybe they are Rufes, then at least it's plausible how they could get there.

Irish_Rogues
03-20-2008, 02:46 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tater-SW-:
Maybe they are Rufes, then at least it's plausible how they could get there. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I was thinking this earlier because there was a reference to a hull in one of the posts.

ElAurens
03-20-2008, 05:21 PM
Very interesting.

But unless some palms are heavily greased, those aircraft will become the property of the Solomons govt. Then the corrupt folks in the govt. will sell them and get the cash.

Feathered_IV
03-20-2008, 05:51 PM
The fellow who claims to have made the discovery said:

"I'm no airplane expert so all I can say is what is in the photos and I'm looking at one plane with the wings stacked against the hull, and the engine cover off...."

What everybody seems to have forgotten is that the Zero was built with the wings all in one piece as an integral part of the fuselage midsection. You can't just stack them "against the hull" without sawing them off.

I hope it isn't bullsh*it. But very few Japanese aircraft were built with wings that just bolt on. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

SeaFireLIV
03-20-2008, 06:04 PM
Someone tell him to get his friend to GET PICTURES!

Don`t tell me there`s nobody with even a picture-taking mobile phone there?

Get pics and post them up so that we can at least take a look and maybe figure if the guys really found a Zero or not.

T_O_A_D
03-20-2008, 07:15 PM
I say it is a miss identified American aircraft, that some corrupt hording bunch stashed them away.

Then they all died before the managed a salvage attempt.

That is if any of this is even true.

Frequent_Flyer
03-20-2008, 08:13 PM
This sounds like a " lost " episode of "Gilligans Island"

The real question is - Ginger or MayAnn ? or both.

ElAurens
03-20-2008, 08:27 PM
The Yokosuka E14Y "Glen" had folding/detachable wings.

http://www.daveswarbirds.com/Nippon/photos/Glen.jpg

Feathered_IV
03-20-2008, 09:49 PM
Yeah. I'm hoping that if the story is true, that it'll turn out to be one of these "exotics". Types like that in mint condition would be an even bigger treasure.

TgD Thunderbolt56
03-21-2008, 06:40 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Feathered_IV:
Yeah. I'm hoping that if the story is true, that it'll turn out to be one of these "exotics". Types like that in mint condition would be an even bigger treasure. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah...like one of the souped-up backup rides the Japanese ace "Iceman" from Baa Baa Blacksheep had saved just in case his primary got wrinkled.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v687/Thunderbolt56/exitstageleft.gif

JtD
03-21-2008, 12:53 PM
I think this is interesting and good news, I sure hope the planes will come out in good condition. Whatever models they are and whoever brings them out. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Sergio_101
03-21-2008, 08:56 PM
Engine in good condition really means little.
Pratt&Whitney R-1830 is nearly identical
and shares most external dimensions.
Motor mounts are the same as are the engine exhaust locations and sizes.

In fact the original engine is a pirated P&W built
leagally under licence before WWII.
"Pirated" might be a bit harsh
as no one was going to pay royalties
to the enemy during the conflict.

The Zero uses a exact copy of a Hamilton Standard propeller. Again, a no brainer as they
used SAE #50 splines and prop parts are interchangable
as is the complete unit.

Sergio

qlc1
03-22-2008, 06:02 PM
kool,but 2 zeros is nothing compared too what the usa left there.
america left entire bases,and airfields behind,full with food ,water,vehicles,fuel,spare parts,and of course planes,in differnt stages of dissasembly.
same here in australia.about 10 years ago someone found a shipping container full of wla's
in a bunker near sydney.
so imho i think they were captered planes and left there by an american. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif
jokes,just jokes.but what usa left on the solomins stands true.

KG66_Gog
03-22-2008, 10:54 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by qlc1:

same here in australia.about 10 years ago someone found a shipping container full of wla's
in a bunker near sydney.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Garbage. That's the oldest and most used urban myth in Australia. There have been serious wins in the case of WLA's but they were a lot longer ago than 10 years.
Most of the US stuff was not just left lying around, it was disposed of, either by setting it on fire, bull dozing it into a hole or dumping it at sea.

The Australian government, sensing a cheap price for all the US equipment here got greedy and offered the Yanks sweet FA thinking the US had no option but to sell but the Yanks decided, well Skrew ya then, and dumped it in the ocean or destroyed it.

There are no containers of parts or aircraft layin' around. Its all well and truly gone and has been that way for the last 20 years at least. Only the very rare occasion now that you see or hear of someone finding something, like that Dam full of parts near Brisbane Airport about 15 years ago.

As for these mythical zeros in the mine, my guess is BALONEY!!! The Solomons and every other place that might have aircraft has been systematically raped for the last 40 years. Bugger all left now.

Patriot_Act
03-22-2008, 11:04 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by KG66_Gog:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by qlc1:

in a bunker near sydney.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Garbage. That's the oldest and most used urban myth in Australia. There have been serious wins in the case of WLA's but they were a lot longer ago than 10 years.
Most of the US stuff was not just left lying around, it was disposed of, either by setting it on fire, bull dozing it into a hole or dumping it at sea.

The Australian government, sensing a cheap price for all the US equipment here got greedy and offered the Yanks sweet FA thinking the US had no option but to sell but the Yanks decided, well Skrew ya then, and dumped it in the ocean or destroyed it.

There are no containers of parts or aircraft layin' around. Its all well and truly gone and has been that way for the last 20 years at least. Only the very rare occasion now that you see or hear of someone finding something, like that Dam full of parts near Brisbane Airport about 15 years ago.

As for these mythical zeros in the mine, my guess is BALONEY!!! The Solomons and every other place that might have aircraft has been systematically raped for the last 40 years. Bugger all left now. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Agreed, 100% Balogna.
I doubt there are any mines in the Solomons
let alone with complete airplanes stashed in them.

P.A.

Patriot_Act
03-23-2008, 12:14 AM
If you want to find the largest treasure of WWII aircraft remains
in reasonable condition it is in Russia, Greenland and the western Canada flyway
between Washington State and Alaska.

Many of the planes lost in this area are in fresh water or are
very well preserved excepting the damage
caused by forced landings.

Russia is wonderful because it's a mixed bag of aircraft from all combatants
except for Japan.

P.A.

jarink
03-23-2008, 07:26 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by KG66_Gog:
As for these mythical zeros in the mine, my guess is BALONEY!!! The Solomons and every other place that might have aircraft has been systematically raped for the last 40 years. Bugger all left now. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree that the story is questionable at best, but newly discovered airframes are still turning up even in the past several years. Granted, most are in very poor condition (like the P-38 discovered last year on a Welsh beach), but sometimes one is discovered in easily restorable condition (like the Fw-190 recovered off Norway in 2006).

Never say that everything's been found.

zardozid
03-23-2008, 10:42 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Sergio_101:

The Zero uses a exact copy of a Hamilton Standard propeller. Again, a no brainer as they
as is the complete unit.

Sergio </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It was actually a license built French "Gnome-Rhone" engine.

The Hamilton Standard propeller was also a license built product from before the war...I have admit I don't really understand the fascination with the fact the some Japanese airplanes used license built parts...why reinvent the wheel?

Box-weasel
03-23-2008, 01:07 PM
http://gvtc.com/~thh/mineshaft.jpg

Patriot_Act
03-23-2008, 02:53 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by zardozid:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Sergio_101:

as is the complete unit.

Sergio </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It was actually a license built French "Gnome-Rhone" engine.

The Hamilton Standard propeller was also a license built product from before the war...I have admit I don't really understand the fascination with the fact the some Japanese airplanes used license built parts...why reinvent the wheel? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Everyone built licenced engines.
First the Nakajima Sakae engine.
It was not an exact copy of the Gnome-Rhone 14K
or any engine for that matter.
The crank cases were so close a copy og the P&W
engine that when the castings (not forgings like the R-1830) were
adapted to the Saki they did not delete the P&W "Quality Engines" logo;-)

Like the BMW801 it shared components and ideas from a number of types.
BMW 801 is nearly a copy of a CW R-2600 ;-)

The Gnome-Rhone 14K is a lot bigger than the Saki as the R-1830 is only a hundred CID bigger.

Facts are that piston engine design had hit the proverbial wall
in 1940, the performance improvments were from higher PN fuels
and little else.
Note, I am omitting airframe design as we are talking engines)
Germany, Russia, Japan and yes, even the US built
licenced designs during WWII.
There was no need to get more than a little creative.
The Japanese were very creative in mixing and matching
design elements from the major designs they had licenced.
BMW was also right there by building what
amounted to be a two row CW R-2600 with P&W Hornet cylinders...

P.A.

mortoma
03-23-2008, 03:23 PM
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/353.gif

qlc1
03-23-2008, 05:07 PM

As for these mythical zeros in the mine, my guess is BALONEY!!! The Solomons and every other place that might have aircraft has been systematically raped for the last 40 years. Bugger all left now.[/QUOTE]

Agreed, 100% Balogna.
I doubt there are any mines in the Solomons
let alone with complete airplanes stashed in them.

P.A.[/QUOTE]
ok sorry to get your knickers all twisted up.
your right about the "wla's 10 years ago".i been saying ten years ago for 30 years.they were found when i was a boy,in late 60's.dunno if its a true story,but its a story i heard.its allso a story i think is true.a lot of my farming mates in northwest qld are digging fields,carting fence posts,and god knows wat else,with modified yanky tanks.the aussie govt didnt give them over,they were left behind after the qld evacuation roads were build.also left behind were dozers,cranes,trucks of all shapes and sizes(one which my grandfather got hold of)plus all the tools and gear that go with road building and the defence of such operations.the further north in aussie you go,the more stuff got left behind.granted most of it is raped,rusted and ruined now,but it wasnt always like that.just becouse you didnt see or get any of it dont mean it wasnt there.
if you want some head up fnqld,and into the nt.
still heaps of stuff there.
as for the solomin islands,i got a mate who grew up there.and yes good ol uncle sam didnt even bother too lock the doors on the way out.
in the 70's it wasnt unusual for kids to go running home with an armful of pineapples,or the japenese equivelant.the only thing suprising about the zero's in a mineshaft on the solomines,to me was,that the solomines have a mineshaft that big,back in the late 40's.
maybe an underground bunker....
anyway,i dont know for sure about the wla's(old rumore)but i do know old timers ploughing fields in old usa armour,and driving studibakers to town.(well most would be in sheds,or up the back paddock where it broke down 15 years ago lol)as for the solomines,untill i find out what is or was mined there,i dunno.but by going by what uncle sam has left behind,why not?is it not possible?

qlc1
03-23-2008, 05:16 PM
i find a gold mine on guadacanal,build in 1998.

KG66_Gog
03-24-2008, 07:08 AM
Well mate, I'm a recreational WW2 artifact scrounger. I've scrounged in the NT, QLD, NSW and Vic and yes, there is the odd tank hull to be found but by and large, there is nothing left.

It was very difficult for the US to get rid of the tanks after the war. Most had their turrets removed and they ended up hauling timber or pulling stumps.

There have been professional relic hunters coaming the Northern Territory and far North QLD for decades and all you ever hear are rumours, never any large scale finds.

You won't find old blokes ploughing fields with Grant tanks or whatever because the spare parts for these dried up in about 1946. They got as many years out of them as they could until they broke down and then went and bought a tractor.

There was once (and still is) a myth of Spitfires buried in a mineshaft at Oakey in QLD. Oakey was a scrapping base for WW2 aircraft and loads of Spits were melted down there but apparently some survived and were hidden in a mine. Guess what? Never been found.

There was even the story of the Base closing down and being handed to the civilians when this brand new Spitfire in a crate turns up. Base Commander in a panic wondering what to do as he has to hand the base over free of Military aircraft orders the Spitfire to be buried...guess what? That ones never been found either.

It's all BS and just a few of the stories that have been made up over the decades.

At best, all you will scrounge up are minor parts, such as nuts and bolts, possibly an ID tag, bits of perspex or exhaust stubs and the like.

In my searching over the years, I have found P-40 and Mustang Exhaust Stubs, P40 Joystick, Spitfire antenna masts and the odd ID tag. I have also found a lot of ammo chutes for P-40's as well as blast tube for the .50 cals but never anything large enough that I could'nt fit in a small box.

Just about every man and his dog knows this stuff is rare and as soon as anything is found it gets sorted out quick.

Keep looking if you like, you may come across some interesting smaller stuff but don't expect to uncover a Liberator or Jap Zero as you drive down some old fire trail in the middle of nowhere.

SeaFireLIV
03-24-2008, 07:25 AM
Still no photos then?

Snyde-Dastardly
03-24-2008, 05:22 PM
Yeah, with out photos Id say its a hoax. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-mad.gif

Sergio_101
03-24-2008, 06:46 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Snyde-Dastardly:
Yeah, with out photos Id say its a hoax. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-mad.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yup. It's gotta be a hoax.
Anyone here recollect a Japanese cleanup campaign
in the mid 1960's when they went to most every island
scrapping everything they could reach.

As I remember the story very little was missed.
and there was a lot of abandoned aircraft both allied
and Japanese.

Planes, tanks, trucks, guns, all got collected for scrap.

Sergio

qlc1
03-25-2008, 04:38 PM
kg66,yes ill admit that most of the "farming tanks" are rotting up the end of the back paddock.true.but they were used buy poor men,who had no means of affording a turretless tank.how did they get hold of them?
i never heard of the spits in oakey,dispite living there for a year or so,but there you go.
but oakey is and was allways an airforce base,build by?????3 cheers for .....
no im not driving the fire trails looking for boot nails and chin straps,im going fishing.
as for the zeros in the mine shaft on the solomons?(still dont know which island) i just dont know.there were no mineshafts on the islands untill 1998.so if they are there,sombodys moved them.but 70 odd years after the war,on little islands,teaming with people,who for the last 10 years have spent a lot of time running around and hiding in the jungles,i dought anything that big would have gone unnoticed for that long.
but you never know.
does anyone know how old this story is?

VFS-214_Hawk
03-25-2008, 07:48 PM
BOO!

KG66_Gog
03-26-2008, 01:02 AM

i never heard of the spits in oakey,dispite living there for a year or so,but there you go.
but oakey is and was allways an airforce base,build by?????3 cheers for .....
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hmm..This whole story revolves around credibility. The Zero's in the mineshaft story lacks credibility, no pictures, vague details...no credibility.

By the way, Oakey is, always and forever being an Airforce base, well here is where your credibility comes into question.

Oakey was a RAAF base but for the last several decades it has been an Army base and still is an Army base and will likely in the future be an army base.

As I said about the tanks, it was very difficult for the US authorities to get rid of them, hence many survived though most lost their turrets.

If people are going to wade into a discussion on WW2 relics they should know something of what they are talking about, not stories they heard down the pub.

I've searched for aircraft, machine guns buried in holes in the ground, tanks in old logging areas and found none of them. Finding anything substantial now is not impossible but its darn rare and I agree, you'd be better off fishing.

qlc1
03-27-2008, 04:42 AM
easy tiger,the wla story,yeah heard at the pub.
i have seen the tanks used on farms a lot.
was oakey always raaf?
i seem to have heard it was built by the us.like all the roads around it.
but like you said,i wasnt there when it happened,so what would i know.i came along 20 years later.
i aint no relic hunter,you got me there.
all im saying is that when the yanks moved on, they left a lot behind.often.so why is it so hard to beleave that the japenese left stuff behind too?
in a mine shaft is a bit far fetched,but you never know.on the solomons that is.
but the japenese didnt leave the solomons on their own terms in their own time,they were sort of rushed a bit.so maybe there is a lotof stuff undisposed of.
me i beleave the story,to a point.
1-its an old story,
2-mine shaft isnt possible,since there were no mines untill recently.but japenese were an idustrious mob and with them,given enough time,anything is possible.

Wepps
03-27-2008, 08:35 AM
Two complete Zeros found mainly intact in Mississippi:

http://photobucket.com/mediadetail/?media=http%3A%2F%2F...******s&pageOffset=0 (http://photobucket.com/mediadetail/?media=http%3A%2F%2Fi258.photobucket.com%2Falbums% 2Fhh243%2Fallisonaskew32207%2Fjoshandtodd3.jpg&searchTerm=two%20******s&pageOffset=0)

Choctaw111
03-27-2008, 10:23 AM
I can only imagine how many things like this are scattered around the globe.

VonTonar
03-27-2008, 01:04 PM
Yup, sounds like BS.

find me when some photos show up

MOH_MADMAN
03-29-2008, 04:15 PM
A B17 sits at the bottom of Lake Mead on the Colorado River. Lost during the war during transport or training run.
Another one is reported to be in the woods west of Flagstaff.

berg417448
03-29-2008, 04:16 PM
I knew about a B-29 in Lake Mead lost in 1948:

http://www.indepthconsulting.com/B29/B29Lost.htm

MOH_MADMAN
03-29-2008, 04:27 PM
lol guess I should have got the facts better or just say something like theres a downed bomber, memory is fading, feeling lazy.
Thanks for the clarification Berg, cool link too.

This is worth a look
http://www.aircraftarchaeology.com/

Skycat_2
03-29-2008, 07:08 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">...A shipping container full of wla's
in a bunker near sydney. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
What are WLAs?

Patriot_Act
03-29-2008, 10:05 PM
They got bagged for buzzing lake Mead the old hard way.
That was a joy ride gone bad!

There are still many aircraft in fresh water
all around North America and Europe.

As their value continues to rise, they will be recovered.

Although I doubt the B-29 in Lake Mead will ever be recovered, I would not count it out.

P.A.

KG66_Gog
03-29-2008, 10:42 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Skycat_2:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">...A shipping container full of wla's
in a bunker near sydney. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
What are WLAs? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wartime Harley Davidson motorcycles.

ElAurens
03-29-2008, 11:35 PM
Stuff does come up every once in a while, but more and more it is the little things. For example a couple of years ago what amounted to a semi-truck sized load of Wright R-2600 valves was found in a warehouse in Kansas City MO. They were purchased as a lot, the gent that bought them had them polished, and had wooden display bases made for them and sold them.

I have one sitting on my desk.

Skycat_2
03-30-2008, 03:36 AM
About the WLA's, I heard a similar rumor that factory-fresh Harley Davidsons were buried in their crates somewhere on the grounds of what is now F.E. Warren Air Force Base, Wyoming, USA. (I believe that F.E. Warren was an Army post during WWII). Maybe this rumor is a variation of the same story and, like any good Urban Myth, the tale gets localized as servicemen travel around the world.

Wepps
03-30-2008, 09:11 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ElAurens:
Stuff does come up every once in a while, but more and more it is the little things. For example a couple of years ago what amounted to a semi-truck sized load of Wright R-2600 valves was found in a warehouse in Kansas City MO. They were purchased as a lot, the gent that bought them had them polished, and had wooden display bases made for them and sold them.

I have one sitting on my desk. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

lol it's true what George Carlin said, "Nail two pieces of wood together, and some schmuck will buy it from you."