PDA

View Full Version : Dedicated Linux Server

WholeHawg
04-08-2005, 08:12 AM
Hello all

I have been searching for a Linux version of FB/PF server does anyone know if such an animal exists?

WholeHawg
04-08-2005, 08:12 AM
Hello all

I have been searching for a Linux version of FB/PF server does anyone know if such an animal exists?

Tully__
04-08-2005, 09:09 AM
No such animal and no plans for one. You'll have to make do with the Windoze version.

BBloke
04-08-2005, 09:32 AM
Hehehehe.... although now we have a ded serv for windows has anyone tried running Wine or VMware and seeing how it stacks up! ;-)

I would if I had the time to do it.. even with Knoppix as a base - you never know!

WholeHawg
04-08-2005, 10:34 AM
Actually I was thinking along those lines. I might try a Windows PE environment and running it in a VmwareGSX server.

Troll2k
04-08-2005, 12:02 PM
I am not sure about the server but people have been trying to run the IL2 series on linux for years without much sucess.

Tully__
04-08-2005, 07:54 PM
I think the closest to success I've seen with any of the VMWare / Wine attempts was someone got the ded server to launch, but not actually run. If the search function was working in this forum I'd find and link the thread where they were discussing it, but it was a long time ago in the community help forum and it'd take days to find it by manual search http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif (if it's even still there and hasn't been culled to trim the database sized down).

Aaron_GT
04-09-2005, 02:26 AM
You'll take a performance hit running under VMWare.

You can fairly successfully run IL2-PF under Cedega (WineX as was) so in theory you should be able to run the dedicated server in the same way. I am not sure how well it handles the network connections, although back when WineX was WineX I successfully ran Aces High and joined an online session, so it might work.