PDA

View Full Version : Torpedoes For Everyone?

LuckyBoy1
09-24-2004, 04:18 PM
Pardon my extreme ignorance, but did any of the U.S. planes we have listen in the game ever in real life use torpedoes? If so, does the developer have plans to include it as a bomb loadout option?

LuckyBoy1
09-24-2004, 04:18 PM
Pardon my extreme ignorance, but did any of the U.S. planes we have listen in the game ever in real life use torpedoes? If so, does the developer have plans to include it as a bomb loadout option?

VW-IceFire
09-24-2004, 08:31 PM
The only ones we presently have that were even tested with torpedo's are the P-38's. But that was highly experimental and never operationally used.

At present, the only torpedo capable aircraft that we can fly are the IL-2T and the He-111. I'm hoping for that to double or triple with release of PF (or patches later).

LuckyBoy1
09-25-2004, 04:02 AM
Well, unless it was used at least on an operational level, I'd say we have other priorities here for the game as it stands now. Still, it would be nice to get at least on U.S. plane capable of doing torpedoe duty when Pacific Fighters comes out.

Either way, thanks for the clarification.

Philipscdrw
09-25-2004, 04:49 PM
They must be making a flyable Avenger - surely?

XyZspineZyX
09-26-2004, 05:09 PM
Why bother unless they decide to finally do torpedos correctly?

Right now torps can be used like iron bombs, completely ignoring their very strict employment parameters.

Unless they get that right, there's no need to even have torpedos in the sim at all.

p1ngu666
09-26-2004, 06:02 PM
hmm
u can drop from any height and speed, which is dodgy

but u could use real torps as iron bombs i guess, i mean they would probably detonate if they hit sumin.

ofcourse itll be worse than a equivlent weight bomb, havin all the torp bits http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

LStarosta
09-26-2004, 06:49 PM
Except torpedoes were much more expensive than bombs, and you'd probably get chewed up by your CO for using a torp as a bomb...

IV_JG51_Razor
09-28-2004, 07:03 PM
"but u could use real torps as iron bombs i guess, i mean they would probably detonate if they hit sumin."

LOL! That was a problem with our torpedoes...they probably wouldn't have detonated at all!! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Tully__
09-29-2004, 12:20 PM
Didn't torpedos have to run in the water for a certain amount of time before they were armed? Or was that only for ship/sub launched torps?

Tater-SW-
09-29-2004, 12:33 PM
Yes, they required some arming time, as well as time to come back up to depth. Part of the height drop parameters were to keep the weapon intact, but also, the higher you drop, the deeper they go before they come up to their set depth. In the Battle of the Coral Sea, an IJN Kate dropped a little close, and the fish swam harmlessly under the Lexington before coming up to a depth where it could hit anything.

So they have max altitude to drop for weapon to stay intact, a max speed for the same reason, and arming time, and a time (based upon drop-height and speed) for them to be at proper depth. If you drop a torp too close to a target, it should go under it, or not arm. The smaller the ship, the farther the min drop range would be since they draw less water.

For PF it would be easier to just have an arming distance, so you always drop at least X hundred yards from target, or they do no damage.

tater

Atomic_Marten
09-29-2004, 01:51 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by LuckyBoy1:
Pardon my extreme ignorance, but did any of the U.S. planes we have listen in the game ever in real life use torpedoes? If so, does the developer have plans to include it as a bomb loadout option? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, I am sure that they used torpedoes. I was watching some time ago in some broadcast about submarines an interview with actual U.S. torpedo bomber pilot (unfortunately I can't remember his name, type of plane--avenger?-- nor carrier). He was describing important late war action (he was flight leader) in Atlantic Sea in which their objective was to sink Japanese (!) submarine that was carrying important cargo. US aircraft were equipped with special type of torpedoes. They hit submarine twice (if I recall correctly) and thus send her to bottom.

In the next part of the broadcast that very submarine was found and some personal stuff from crew were recover from it.

WOLFMondo
10-01-2004, 04:24 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by VW-IceFire:
The only ones we presently have that were even tested with torpedo's are the P-38's. But that was highly experimental and never operationally used.

At present, the only torpedo capable aircraft that we can fly are the IL-2T and the He-111. I'm hoping for that to double or triple with release of PF (or patches later). <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Beaufighter time! I can't wait. Its an uber ship killer!