PDA

View Full Version : Sky broadband in the UK?

JG52Uther
08-30-2006, 11:07 AM
Anyone got any (sensible http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif) thoughts on this.Paying 30 a month now for my isp looks a bit expensive when looking at 10 for Sky broadband.Too good to be true?

JG52Uther
08-30-2006, 11:07 AM
Anyone got any (sensible http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif) thoughts on this.Paying 30 a month now for my isp looks a bit expensive when looking at 10 for Sky broadband.Too good to be true?

WOLFMondo
08-30-2006, 11:08 AM
Is it Satelite broad band though? If so, expect massive amounts of latency.

MEGILE
08-30-2006, 11:13 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by WOLFMondo:
Is it Satelite broad band though? If so, expect massive amounts of latency. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

A quick browse of the Sky Website didn't give me the answer.

EURO_Snoopy
08-30-2006, 11:18 AM
Sky Broadband is via landline
http://broadband.sky.com/flash.htm

JG52Uther
08-30-2006, 11:25 AM
Yes,just checked.It DOES look interesting.5 a month for 8 mb down with a 40GB monthly cap,or 10 a month for up to 16mb down,with no monthly cap.

MEGILE
08-30-2006, 11:42 AM
Nice prices... any catch? Also can I see if my area is eligable for a certain speed online?

BT won't give me 2mb... stuck with 1mb.

JG52Uther
08-30-2006, 11:44 AM
Catch? Well you have to have sky satellite tv,other than that,I just dont know.Megile I will pm you a phone number,maybe they can tell you.

RevvinUK
08-30-2006, 11:46 AM
I'm thinking of switching when I move home

MEGILE
08-30-2006, 11:52 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JG52Uther:
Catch? Well you have to have sky satellite tv,other than that,I just dont know.Megile I will pm you a phone number,maybe they can tell you. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Cheers.

B16Enk
08-30-2006, 11:53 AM
@ Megile:

1 Mb limit is almost certainly down to your disatance from the exchange and/or line quality.

Maximum I can get is 2Mb, when they pull their fingers out and upgrade me for free as Demon have promised.

One thing I would be wary of is the contention on these 'too good to be true priced' packages, as well as installation lead time.

TalkTalk for instance were so over subscribed they had to cease taking orders (or so I read).

If they don't have the infrastructure right you may well find you have wildly varying pings, and we all know what that means!

I for one would wait until there is enough customer feed back on the DSL comparison sites, or if wishing to reduce costs I would pick a well rated supplier from there.

Just a thought (or two http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif).

JG52Uther
08-30-2006, 12:09 PM
Good points Rog.I have been on AOHell for years (although to be honest they are not too bad now,except 'cust. service').I am on the top 'platinum' aol plan,and I usually get between 3-5 MB down.Its potentially a huge saving,so if it works it should be good.

Sandman_UK
08-30-2006, 07:46 PM
I have seen this deal and I dont think there is a catch. The whole point of the excercise as far as I can see it to make sure people get a Sky package through Sky and tag on the broadband.

At the moment you can get deals for 30 from NTL etc that are phone, TV and broadband. If you already have Sky then adding another 10 on for the broadband will save you money over any other isp you may currently be running. But it will also mean you stay with sky and not be tempted to move to another isp for the next two years.

Also you can only get this if you are a sky customer, so you are bound to be paying upwards of 30 a month for your tv.

The best thing about this is that its 16mb. With the current all in one deals that are being put about you only get upto 2mb i think.

snafu73
08-31-2006, 12:12 PM
The trouble with Sky has always been that they give you things you never asked for in the first place, then use the added services and bonus's to justify price increases.

I'll take the bait, but I'll be braced for the subscription to creep up and up.