PDA

View Full Version : reflections on "the big show"

deskpilot
01-09-2011, 04:54 AM
I just read the above book by Pierre Closterman which for those who don't know is an account of flying spits and tempests written by a French pilot who flew with the RAF, and is quite gripping, moving and highly recommended.
I was struck by the huge size of the formations of fw 190s and 109s that the RAF encountered. He cites 30, 40 50 and more formations and describes some massive scraps. Fascinating to read of underground factories the Germans built to keep up production. I also did not realise that the Luftwaffe had so many jets in operational service in the last year or so of the war. It was interesting to read of handling characteristics of the planes like the tempest and think about how accurate or not the IL2 flight models are. Pretty good I reckon from Closterman's descriptions, particularly the contrast between spit and tempest.
I am keen to read more factual accounts by real pilots. What are the other best ones, does anyone know?

deskpilot
01-09-2011, 04:54 AM
I just read the above book by Pierre Closterman which for those who don't know is an account of flying spits and tempests written by a French pilot who flew with the RAF, and is quite gripping, moving and highly recommended.
I was struck by the huge size of the formations of fw 190s and 109s that the RAF encountered. He cites 30, 40 50 and more formations and describes some massive scraps. Fascinating to read of underground factories the Germans built to keep up production. I also did not realise that the Luftwaffe had so many jets in operational service in the last year or so of the war. It was interesting to read of handling characteristics of the planes like the tempest and think about how accurate or not the IL2 flight models are. Pretty good I reckon from Closterman's descriptions, particularly the contrast between spit and tempest.
I am keen to read more factual accounts by real pilots. What are the other best ones, does anyone know?

crucislancer
01-09-2011, 07:58 AM
The Big Show is one of my favorites, very well written.

Another good one is To Fly and Fight by Bud Anderson, who flew P-51s in the 357th FG. About half the book is his experiences during WWII, the rest covers the remainder of his career with the USAF up to his retirement. Highly recommended.

Manuel29
01-09-2011, 08:19 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by deskpilot:
It was interesting to read of handling characteristics of the planes like the tempest and think about how accurate or not the IL2 flight models are. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

In IL2 you can have an accelerated spin and the plane recovers itself without any action from the pilot... It's all auto. And you can do it even at 500m.

But Clostermann said that Tempest pilots were prohibited to spin below 3km.

Manu-6S
01-09-2011, 08:21 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by deskpilot:
It was interesting to read of handling characteristics of the planes like the tempest and think about how accurate or not the IL2 flight models are. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

In IL2 you can have an accelerated spin and the plane recovers itself without any action from the pilot... It's all auto. And you can do it even at 500m.

But Clostermann said that Tempest pilots were prohibited to spin below 3km.