PDA

View Full Version : Il2 has me hitting the books again

Sharpe26
02-06-2009, 06:07 AM
there's three this time around

Beyond courage: this book details some of the missions undertaken by the Air Sea Rescue squadrons in the Med, Adriatic and Tyrrhenian seas. Author is Norman Franks. The book has some a number of accounts of how Walrus squadrons picked up everybody that went down in the sea during the war over there. The book is preceeded by another title called Another kind of courage which details ASR operations in Europe. Readingwise its just not one of those books that goes " there I was in my (insert name of aircraft here) and there were fifty of them..."

Spitfire portrait of a legend: By Leo McKinstry.This details nearly anything and everything about the Spitfire. From its initial clashes with its own airforce and after the Luftwaffe, to its heyday as a fighter-bomber. Again this book is filled with narratives of the men that flew her.

Raiders over the Reich: Bowman and Boiten give some description on how the air war in the west escalated into thousand bomber raids an stuff like that. Especially fitting I though the fact that this book also sheds some more light on the FLAK kids.

Sharpe26
02-06-2009, 06:07 AM
there's three this time around

Beyond courage: this book details some of the missions undertaken by the Air Sea Rescue squadrons in the Med, Adriatic and Tyrrhenian seas. Author is Norman Franks. The book has some a number of accounts of how Walrus squadrons picked up everybody that went down in the sea during the war over there. The book is preceeded by another title called Another kind of courage which details ASR operations in Europe. Readingwise its just not one of those books that goes " there I was in my (insert name of aircraft here) and there were fifty of them..."

Spitfire portrait of a legend: By Leo McKinstry.This details nearly anything and everything about the Spitfire. From its initial clashes with its own airforce and after the Luftwaffe, to its heyday as a fighter-bomber. Again this book is filled with narratives of the men that flew her.

Raiders over the Reich: Bowman and Boiten give some description on how the air war in the west escalated into thousand bomber raids an stuff like that. Especially fitting I though the fact that this book also sheds some more light on the FLAK kids.

Bearcat99
02-07-2009, 06:12 PM
Are you kidding..?

Before I got IL2 in 2002 I had never heard of a Lavochkin...

Directly because of my interest in this sim mostly I have learned more about history, aircraft, computers, graphic arts, web design, software, made new friends from all over the world and spent thousands over the past 7 years...... and most of that was prompted by my initial intrest in IL2. The original...

We both are not alone.. this sim has been way more than just "a game" to most of us... thats why we have been here so long... and yes.. I am an "Oleg Fanboy" because I can really appreciate the fact that his vision is singlely responsible for a lot of what I enjoy a great deal of in my life as it is at the present. Not just the sim itself... but all the knowledge and skill sets that have grown out of my exposure to it.

WhiteKnight77
02-07-2009, 06:35 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bearcat99:
Are you kidding..?

Directly because of my interest in this sim mostly I have learned more about history, aircraft, computers, graphic arts, web design, software, made new friends from all over the world and spent thousands over the past 7 years...... and most of that was prompted by my initial intrest in IL2. The original...

We both are not alone.. this sim has been way more than just "a game" to most of us... thats why we have been here so long... and yes.. I am an "Oleg Fanboy" because I can really appreciate the fact that his vision is singlely responsible for a lot of what I enjoy a great deal of in my life as it is at the present. Not just the sim itself... but all the knowledge and skill sets that have grown out of my exposure to it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That sounds just like me and Rainbow Six/Ghost Recon (though I always did like history, especially WW2 and Vietnam history). Of course, I have always been an airplane nut (part of the fact I was born on a SAC bomber base doesn't help). Getting into PC gaming has really broadened my horizons as far as tech and web knowlege.

I too bought a WW2 book today about the ground war in the Philippines.

VW-IceFire
02-07-2009, 10:49 PM
Same here....bought so many books and learned so much history with this game. Learned allot about flying too...so much so that when I actually went for a quick flight I knew exactly what was going on. Great tool for learning and education as well as lots of fun!

Mr_Zooly
02-08-2009, 11:36 AM
WW1 + 2 aviation nut also, I was baptised at RAF Finningly in 1971 (a Vulcan nuclear bomber base at the time) so I guess it was to be. My collection of warfare books has gone from the odd one or two to a few dozen.

SeaFireLIV
02-08-2009, 12:11 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bearcat99:
Are you kidding..?

We both are not alone.. this sim has been way more than just "a game" to most of us... thats why we have been here so long... and yes.. I am an "Oleg Fanboy" because I can really appreciate the fact that his vision is singlely responsible for a lot of what I enjoy a great deal of in my life as it is at the present. Not just the sim itself... but all the knowledge and skill sets that have grown out of my exposure to it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Same!

RedToo
02-08-2009, 01:08 PM
Snap!

CzechTexan
02-08-2009, 01:12 PM
Same here. I've read countless books about the Eastern Front before and after this sim came out. I've always been an avid history reader but with this sim bringing so many different campaigns to light I've gotten several books on many differnt topics. My latest interest has been the war in Burma. Some of the new books I've gotten about Burma are: Air War for Burma, The Longest War, and Burma Bridge Busters. There's just so much to learn about so many different parts of the war...I'll never be able to learn about it all but I sure am trying; and it's fun to learn! Happy reading!

WhiteKnight77
02-08-2009, 08:07 PM
I am currently reading a book called Retribution, The Battle for Japan 1944-45 by Max Hastings and it touches on the war in Burma and other land battles of the Pacific along with the sea and air battles too. A unique book for sure.

unreasonable
02-08-2009, 08:33 PM
Are you kidding..?

Agreed! A well made sim or wargame is a terrific learning tool for anyone who is interested in how things work. So many of our discussions are about how the sim reflects or fails to reflect reality. To get anywhere with this you have to try to understand how the sim works and also how reality worked. I am surprised it is not purchased in schools to get jaded teenagers interested in history and technology.

Phas3e
02-08-2009, 11:55 PM
Il2 has me adding to my book collection for sure I have a library now of around 130 books, plus Pdfs measuring upwards of 30gig

Sharpe26
02-09-2009, 03:31 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Phas3e:
Il2 has me adding to my book collection for sure I have a library now of around 130 books, plus Pdfs measuring upwards of 30gig </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

just so I can explore this curiosity for a bit: how did you get those PDFs?

Choctaw111
02-09-2009, 08:45 AM
I have learned many things both as a direct and indirect result of this sim, both in books and software/hardware related.

Bearcat99
02-09-2009, 08:58 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Sharpe26:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Phas3e:
Il2 has me adding to my book collection for sure I have a library now of around 130 books, plus Pdfs measuring upwards of 30gig </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

just so I can explore this curiosity for a bit: how did you get those PDFs? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You can hit The Essentials link in my sig for starters..