PDA

View Full Version : Dont knock Ubi..just for the sake of it!!!!

Maverick_U2007
03-19-2007, 02:34 PM
Have read a lot of the comments made by people who already have copies of SH1V, (have noticed that they are not regular contributors to the forum) and can only make the following observation......everyone suspected that once it has been released then a patch would follow soon.....so if this be the case why be suprised?.

Yes it is disappointing that yet again another PC game has been released which requires almost immediate attention, but there is a positive side to it...the devs and modders can get to work and further develop the game over the coming years. You dont get that opportunity with a console system, where you buy the game play it and then wait until the follow up is released which then costs you a further 40 to 50(depending on the console system).

Let us not forget that this is a very 'niche' market. The market for PC gaming is falling off and the developers do not stand to make the gains that are made from console games. We have to be thankful that companies like Ubi are still committed to making games for all versions of PC/Console and in all genres.

Eidos has recently released Battlestations:Midway, it was released for console and PC alike. The big complaint is the lack of playability...once you've played it a couple of times it becomes repetative. They tried to cover both markets but have failed (my beleif) and have made matters worse by offering a further download for both platforms but at a price.(It cant be modded as the program is wrapped up tighter than Sir Edmund Hilary on the north Face of Mount Everest.)

I only found Silent Hunter 3 some 5 or 6 months ago and my experience is that the gameplay is never the same from one patrol to the next. Take into account that there are a million and one 'Mods' to be had, then it is truly a game that has been improved/modded/altered/tweaked and generally played about with since its release, all to make it a very playable experience.

Give Ubi some slack, play SH1V,enjoy it and then 'suggest' alterations that can be made. Instead of always 'posting' the bad points...'post' the good features.

Just as an aside have this morning received the following email from GAME from whom I ordered my copy of SH1V

'I am delighted to let you know that your Preorder for Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific is now being processed. The order will be despatched by your chosen delivery method in time to reach you for the morning of release.

By using the GAME 1st To Play Preorder Service you have ensured that you will be among the first people to receive Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific, and we are confident that you will be happy with the order, our service and our speedy delivery!

Have used these before and the copy does arrive on the morning of the official release date.

I am in UK so should arrive AM on Friday. (Flask and Butties will be ready with 'No entry sign' on Office door.).

Maverick_U2007 aka LtCmdr.Maverick (Roll on the Pacific adventure!!!!)

matzi19691969
03-19-2007, 03:35 PM
Are you kidding? How and the hell did Northern Europe recieve the game when we were told that the release date would be held-up for a somewhat unervisal worldwide release! BTW, it's B.S. that UBI would not ensure that the game I ordered, with 20 buck worth of shipping, would not be arriving on release day as well. I have zero problems with bugs, only in that if it's a new a new type of game or a idea not gammed before. But, SH4 has a wonderful pedigree, and a wonderful modding community that 'they' got it right! SH4 should just slide right in!!! I dont have it yet, so we'll see... I expect the worse, and hope for the best!

tambor198
03-19-2007, 09:01 PM
Originally posted by matzi19691969:
Are you kidding? How and the hell did Northern Europe recieve the game when we were told that the release date would be held-up for a somewhat unervisal worldwide release! BTW, it's B.S. that UBI would not ensure that the game I ordered, with 20 buck worth of shipping, would not be arriving on release day as well. I have zero problems with bugs, only in that if it's a new a new type of game or a idea not gammed before. But, SH4 has a wonderful pedigree, and a wonderful modding community that 'they' got it right! SH4 should just slide right in!!! I dont have it yet, so we'll see... I expect the worse, and hope for the best!

Have to agree with you, matzi. This will be the last time I pre-order a game from Ubisoft. The two local software stores by me (Gamestop and EB Games)get their shipments tomorrow and my copy of SHIV on Wednesday. I could have saved myself some grief and just bought the game locally.

As for the bugs and glitches in the game that are being reported, I'll withhold judgment until my copy of SHIV arrives on Wednesday and see it for myself. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

tambor198 http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

vietvettwo
03-19-2007, 10:57 PM
I'd have to agree, how bad can the game(s) be if so many SH3 players are awaiting SH4? I remember one post where a guy was mad that the amount of rust on his boat didn't get worse as the parol went on. Come on folks, there will always be some feature you'd like to see, but because it isn't on the developer's to do list doesn't make it a bad game. I would like to see:
1. A jump to feature if you don't want to spend an hour getting out of port to your patrol area.

2. A feature that allows a crew member to tell you how close you can get at a given speed without being seen (remember this from some old game)

3. What time is sun rise and sun down for attack planning purposes.

If they're not in the game it's not going to be the end of life on the planet.

RedTerex
03-19-2007, 11:53 PM
Originally posted by tambor198:
...This will be the last time I pre-order a game from Ubisoft. The two local software stores by me (Gamestop and EB Games)get their shipments tomorrow and my copy of SHIV on Wednesday. I could have saved myself some grief and just bought the game locally.

As for the bugs and glitches in the game that are being reported, I'll withhold judgment until my copy of SHIV arrives on Wednesday and see it for myself. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

tambor198 http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

Same here, I won't ever pre-order again, lol whats the point when I could now go and buy it locally and have the game up and running. I pre-ordered it under the illusion that I would get my copy maybe a few days before the shops.

Ok So I ordered the de-luxe edition but its the game I am after, all the other stuff in the tin are novelties, very nice etc but still only intristic value to the game at hand.

Also I am taking all the complaints about the gameplay with a large pinch of salt. I remember modding the SH3 forums when the game first came out and some guy said the game was bugged becuase all his torpedos didnt blow up... I asked him if he had dud torpeos selected as part of the settings and he replied " er dud torpedos..whats that then? "..so there you go, please dont take it that all the people on this forum know what the hell they are talking about...as they dont.
Some do of course, I'll grant you that, but who do you listen to??

So yes indeed, its best to buy the game and make your own opinions up.

CrusadingCrab
03-20-2007, 12:05 AM
I would say a patch will be out very soon to go with the wider release of the game. Otherwise there is going to be alot of really annoyed people out there.