PDA

View Full Version : Open Canopys

SpectreP47
12-26-2005, 10:46 AM
I'm new to this forum so bear with me. I was wondering if there are plans to include an open canopy function in a future patch for all planes or any others not included with the Pacific Fighters title.
I really think it would be awsome if you could open up a P-47 or a Mustangs canopy. Hope someone can do it!

SpectreP47
12-26-2005, 10:46 AM
I'm new to this forum so bear with me. I was wondering if there are plans to include an open canopy function in a future patch for all planes or any others not included with the Pacific Fighters title.
I really think it would be awsome if you could open up a P-47 or a Mustangs canopy. Hope someone can do it!

LEBillfish
12-26-2005, 10:56 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by SpectreP47:
I'm new to this forum so bear with me. I was wondering if there are plans to include an open cockpit function in a future patch for all planes or any others not included with the Pacific Fighters title.
I really think it would be awsome if you could open up a P-47 or a Mustangs cockpit. Hope someone can do it! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not an autority now one who can say either way just being a fellow player.......Yet my guess would be no. What opens now is all that will as I'd think it brings up a whole slew of changes.

What I would like to see regarding it is drag, and a lot of it. If a plane has an open pit it slows. In kind maybe generating head shake based on speed.......Lastly, it would also be nice to see the seat rise function effected by speed. As many now online tend to use it as a cheat to gain better visibility...........Pathetic but true.

FritzGryphon
12-26-2005, 02:50 PM
Only planes with opening cockpit now will have it.

Eariler cockpits were modeled with canopy not as a seperate part. Would have to remodel the frames sills to make it work.

Doesn't the open canopy cause drag? I cannot test it now, I but I remember someone else commenting on it.

Also, to call it 'chea't is not correct. IRL pilots often opened canopy to improve visibilty.

Bearcat99
12-26-2005, 03:29 PM
I think it does..... I cant seem to get as fast in my Corsair with an open pit as with a closed pit..

LEBillfish
12-26-2005, 03:47 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by FritzGryphon:
Also, to call it 'chea't is not correct. IRL pilots often opened canopy to improve visibilty. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

(My aggressive response not directed at Fritz but at the issue)

I said seat raising, and the statement it is correct.....find me one account of a pilot who flies at 300-400+km/h TAS at 5km with his seat raised, head above the windscreen and lowers it to shoot instantly raising it back up to continue dogfighting till he gets a firing solution...Up and down, up and down.......

It's a cheat.....call it an exploit if it makes you all fuzzy and removes all guilt if ya want...But basically it's cheating the intent of a "sim" to fly that way making it simply a "shoot-em-up-game".

As to r/l flying with a canopy open...Sure, was supposedly done a lot in the pacific "down low"....but at a price (drag), and before stories of driving convertibles or open pit planes come up.....Remember, they were not reaching the speeds of the late war planes & I doub't you'll find a manual telling pilots to dogfight with the canopy open.

Brain32
12-26-2005, 06:27 PM
Opening canopy has it's potential advantage, when you want your opponent to overshoot http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif
Used it many times, it works...

LEBillfish
12-26-2005, 07:25 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Brain32:
Opening canopy has it's potential advantage, when you want your opponent to overshoot http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif
Used it many times, it works... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Uh, well that would be another "exploit" (trying to be nice)....as my guess would be all sorts of havoc would ensue such as papers going everywhere, you getting yanked about causing you to not control the plane as well....To "possibly" even yanking the canopy off.

However, that would take worlds of effort to make happen and simply not worth the time to this old sim. At some point it takes a little "honor" to make things realistic.....Or choose to "cheat the system"....Whoops, there's that word again......"Exploit the limitations of the sim".

BSS_Vidar
12-26-2005, 07:57 PM
I have found that the canopy's position has no effect on speed in the game. I've done some testing on several aircraft that have this function. I've found these aircraft get to their distinctive top speeds exactly the same with the canopy open, or closed.
The only thing that does seem to change is the sound.

ColoradoBBQ
12-26-2005, 11:23 PM
All I found is that it is easier to kill an online pilot if the pilot's canopy was open.

heywooood
12-29-2005, 10:27 AM
only on Russian planes due to the use of 'DeltaPlex'(TM)
in their canopy and windscreen production.

This is why, inspite of the heavy framing used on their planes - the VVS pilots usually kept them closed in combat....they were so bulletproof.

Planes incorporating both Deltawood and DeltaPlex construction were impervious to all damage and invincible...Germany still accuses Russia of cheating in the Great War.

carguy_
12-29-2005, 07:44 PM
Open canopies are cool.Sometimes I fly the Zero just for that.

Big deal,just implement that at above alt/speed pilot gets effects like being on fire - wounded,heavily wounded,killed.That way you could open canopies at like 200kph@2000m but not at 430kph@4800m .

Ridge_Runner_5
01-01-2006, 06:43 PM
I open my canopy when I go into combat so that, when my plane goes down, it takes much less time to get out!

WB_Outlaw
01-01-2006, 07:05 PM
The windscreen will protect the pilot even with the canopy open so provided the canopy can will hold, you can open it at any speed without getting hurt or losing control of the plane or being buffeted to pieces. You might not be comfortable, but it won't hurt you (possible hearing damage due to long term exposure excepted). What you probably can't do is CLOSE it again unless you are below a certain speed. Of course this does depend on individual aircraft (Me-109 being the first one that comes to mind).

--Outlaw.

cpirrmann
01-02-2006, 08:18 AM
The windscreen will protect the pilot even with the canopy open so provided the canopy can will hold, you can open it at any speed without getting hurt or losing control of the plane or being buffeted to pieces. You might not be comfortable, but it won't hurt you (possible hearing damage due to long term exposure excepted). What you probably can't do is CLOSE it again unless you are below a certain speed. Of course this does depend on individual aircraft (Me-109 being the first one that comes to mind).

P39,P63 also. If I remember correctly, it was procedure to open the canopy when landing and taking off from a carrier in USN/USMC. I do that as well as leave it open until @ 2500 feet when the air will start to be cooler as I do in real life..i.e. keep the vents open until altitude when the air cools. No affect in the game, but helps my immersion. Oh yes, it is usually procedure to open the canopy before bailing out.

leeG727
01-02-2006, 09:29 PM
Navy planes used to land and take off with canopy open to help the pilots get out if they ended up in the water. Early Navy jets used to do it to. Zero-zero ejection seats ended the practice.

Well into the late 30€s, when most of the aircraft used in WW II were originally designed, a lot of pilots still preferred open cockpits. They felt they had a better €œfeel€ for the air. They could see better. They didn€t trust the defogging systems. They didn€t like the idea of the canopy jamming if they needed to get out in a hurry. In planes only good for 250-300 mph or so it really wasn€t a big deal if the canopy was open or not.

The P-40 was designed so it could be flown with the canopy open at all airspeeds. Made for fun flying. Also meant your didn€t have to jettison the thing to bale out, just slide it open.

Grendel-B
01-03-2006, 01:57 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by FritzGryphon:
IRL pilots often opened canopy to improve visibilty. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, in slow cruising speed over friendly territory, or when landing or taking off.

Open canopy causes drag and turbulence. In higher speed the cockpit gets very unbearable and hellish for the pilot, and it makes lots of stress for the plane structure too.

Airplanes were designed for closed cockpits for a reason.

LEXX_Luthor
01-04-2006, 06:04 AM
Also, flying with open canopy should increase chances of successful Bail Out -- if Bail Out were not always 100% successful (maybe for BoB And Beyond http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/11.gif ). MiG-3 pilots often flew with open canopy since they tended to jam shut at high airspeeds. This cut at least 20mi/h (30km/h) from top airspeed, and probably somewhat more.

WOLFMondo
01-04-2006, 06:58 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by LEBillfish:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Brain32:
Used it many times, it works... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Uh, well that would be another "exploit" (trying to be nice)....as my guess would be all sorts of havoc would ensue such as papers going everywhere, you getting yanked about causing you to not control the plane as well....To "possibly" even yanking the canopy off.

However, that would take worlds of effort to make happen and simply not worth the time to this old sim. At some point it takes a little "honor" to make things realistic.....Or choose to "cheat the system"....Whoops, there's that word again......"Exploit the limitations of the sim". </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree but I've never seen it done in a server or co-op.

I really see no advantage to opening the canopy in a US plane in combat in the pacific though, all there a/c are reliant on speed, opening the canopy causes drag, all there gonna do is see the person who is going to shoot them down and with the canopy open prevent any chance of them being able to disengage or extend. Let them keep it open, makes it an easier kill for the Zeke's and Ki's.

Maybe have it so over 200mph the canopy simply breaks off if its open.