PDA

View Full Version : BOOK: AT THE CONTROLS: smithsonian pics of cockpits



GAU-8
03-31-2005, 02:47 AM
finally picked up a decent scanner/printer

anyways. heres 4 pics of some cockpits id like to show, not that i want to print the book out, but for comparison reasons to IL-2/FB/AEP/PF.(i was only going to scan just the il-2 for its thick glass, ...to bad they dont have a 109 in it.. id show that.

hope they are not TOO BIG

anyways, before the pics, the book.

:AT THE CONTROLS: "the smithsonian national air and space museumbook of cockpits" boston mills press. a nice slick little coffee book. from wilbur n orville wright up to the shuttle, F-16, and AIRBUS A320


the F4F-4 (FM-1) ...
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v205/GAU-8/wildcat.jpg


FW 190 F-8
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v205/GAU-8/FW-190.jpg

Il-2M3 shturmovik (look at the THICKNESS of the glass! (noticable on the left and right screens of the pit)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v205/GAU-8/sturmo.jpg

and the Me-262 A-1a "Schwalbe"
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v205/GAU-8/swallow.jpg

GAU-8
03-31-2005, 02:51 AM
I need work on my scanning skillz.. dont do it justice at all....

TooMuchCheese
03-31-2005, 03:13 AM
Hmmm....Looks like the Smithsonian got the picture of the 190 pit all wrong, there seem to be some elements missing, in the Smithsonian cockpit it looks as if the pilot's head would be looking down the slope of the armoured glass PAST the padded rim rather than straight at the rim and the...ehemmmm missing Smithsonian elements. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/784.gif

IBTL

TooMuchCheese
03-31-2005, 03:19 AM
@ Gau-8.... I really, really, believe that you are TERRIBLY interested in that Il-2 armoured glass btw....http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/icon_twisted.gif

Badsight.
03-31-2005, 03:50 AM
the Sturmovik glass & the way they set up they removed the gunsight for the diamond frame , has always puzzeled me

the gunsite is just better for accuracy

BBB_Hyperion
03-31-2005, 04:34 AM
Nice pics thanks for sharing .

Chuck_Older
03-31-2005, 10:44 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by TooMuchCheese:
Hmmm....Looks like the Smithsonian got the picture of the 190 pit all wrong, there seem to be some elements missing, in the Smithsonian cockpit it looks as if the pilot's head would be looking down the slope of the armoured glass PAST the padded rim rather than straight at the rim and the...ehemmmm missing Smithsonian elements. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/784.gif

IBTL <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

"The Smithsonian" did not take those pictures, firstly

Before you decide what's right and wrong about the photos and the way they are taken, perhaps you should find out if the camera perspective is supposed to simulate a pilot's view, or if the camera perspective was chosen to fully encompass the cockpit? Just a suggestion.

I have this book as well, and it is an incredible thing.

Chuck_Older
03-31-2005, 10:45 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Badsight.:
the Sturmovik glass & the way they set up they removed the gunsight for the diamond frame , has always puzzeled me

the gunsite is just better for accuracy <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>


The original gunsight mount can be seen near the top of the photo. Even though it is padded, horrible head injuries were caused by the gunsight during hard landings, so it was removed in service

TooMuchCheese
03-31-2005, 04:50 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Chuck_Older:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by TooMuchCheese:
Hmmm....Looks like the Smithsonian got the picture of the 190 pit all wrong, there seem to be some elements missing, in the Smithsonian cockpit it looks as if the pilot's head would be looking down the slope of the armoured glass PAST the padded rim rather than straight at the rim and the...ehemmmm missing Smithsonian elements. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/784.gif

IBTL <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

"The Smithsonian" did not take those pictures, firstly

Before you decide what's right and wrong about the photos and the way they are taken, perhaps you should find out if the camera perspective is supposed to simulate a pilot's view, or if the camera perspective was chosen to fully encompass the cockpit? Just a suggestion.

I have this book as well, and it is an incredible thing. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not sure exactly what you mean by that statement, you DO understand exactly what perspective is don't you??
You aren't mixing up the (often mistaken) terms "perspective" with "angle of view" are you??
Just a thought. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

Stiglr
03-31-2005, 06:30 PM
For a really nice coffee table book on a whole bunch of WWII (and even Cold War planes and gunner stations), may I suggest Donald Nijboer's excellent series of books:

Cockpit (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1550463748/qid=1112318914/sr=8-1/ref=pd_csp_1/104-9861860-9626369?v=glance&s=books&n=507846)

Cockpits of the Cold War (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1550464051/ref=pd_sim_b_2/104-9861860-9626369?%5Fencoding=UTF8&v=glance)

Gunner (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1550463322/ref=pd_bxgy_text_1/104-9861860-9626369?v=glance&s=books&st=*)

Chuck_Older
04-01-2005, 10:03 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by TooMuchCheese:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Chuck_Older:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by TooMuchCheese:
Hmmm....Looks like the Smithsonian got the picture of the 190 pit all wrong, there seem to be some elements missing, in the Smithsonian cockpit it looks as if the pilot's head would be looking down the slope of the armoured glass PAST the padded rim rather than straight at the rim and the...ehemmmm missing Smithsonian elements. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/784.gif

IBTL <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

"The Smithsonian" did not take those pictures, firstly

Before you decide what's right and wrong about the photos and the way they are taken, perhaps you should find out if the camera perspective is supposed to simulate a pilot's view, or if the camera perspective was chosen to fully encompass the cockpit? Just a suggestion.

I have this book as well, and it is an incredible thing. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not sure exactly what you mean by that statement, you DO understand exactly what perspective is don't you??
You aren't mixing up the (often mistaken) terms "perspective" with "angle of view" are you??
Just a thought. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Let me use smaller words, then

Do you think that the pic shows what a pilot sees? Or do you think that the pic shows as much cockpit as is possible with the camera they used?

Do you understand now?

Spare me the perspective horsemanure, by the way. Your *point of view* is that if I'm not of your *perspective*, I must be an idiot. Thanks, I took vocab in grade school, too http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/mockface.gif

BSS_Goat
04-01-2005, 10:10 AM
http://www.gothamist.com/images/2003_6_pittfight2-thumb.jpg