PDA

View Full Version : How much could a modern combat jet glide?

Cereal01killer0
07-27-2005, 10:20 PM
in il2 you could glide down from any alt and land safely , was that realistic? and how much would a modern jet do? Also on a separate note are the landing characteristics real in il2? it always seamed to me that the plane broke off too easily from a bumpy landing , in ww2 videos you see planes land and jump around and still do fine.

Cereal01killer0
07-27-2005, 10:20 PM
in il2 you could glide down from any alt and land safely , was that realistic? and how much would a modern jet do? Also on a separate note are the landing characteristics real in il2? it always seamed to me that the plane broke off too easily from a bumpy landing , in ww2 videos you see planes land and jump around and still do fine.

Tully__
07-27-2005, 10:32 PM
Most of the aircraft in the game could land safely without power. Modern jets vary in their ability depending on configuration. Most really modern jet combat aircraft can't be landed with no power at all, as the controls are all power operated, but you make a fair shake at a no thrust landing.

The bumpy landings I've seen in WW2 documentary film are nowhere near as severe as what most players here would call as bumpy landing. The sort of bumpy landing you see in film is not very common in the game as ground effect modelling is still somewhat lacking.

FritzGryphon
07-27-2005, 10:42 PM
I remember something to the effect that the F-16 can glide 8.5:1 ratio. Correct me if I'm wrong, it's been a long time since I've read the F4 manual.

The F-16 (at least in the sim) retains full control with the engine off. Perhaps the controls are run by the APU or something. Gliding landings, though much harder than a prop plane, are totally possible. Not common, though, as it's hard to run out of gas with the computer complaining at you all the time.

By comparison, most prop planes seem around the 8:1, 9:1 range, with some gliding as good as 13:1 or more.

PBNA-Boosher
07-27-2005, 11:36 PM
Yeah, I really wish we could get ground effect modelling in this sim. It would make an already INCREDIBLE sim even better, and a tad more realistic.

NonWonderDog
07-28-2005, 12:23 AM
Well, people keep telling me that ground effect is modelled in IL2, but I never really noticed either way. I definitely haven't been able to pull off a soft field takeoff, though...