PDA

View Full Version : Flight Sim Comparison Request

redbaron1972
11-08-2004, 08:29 PM
Hi, I have been playing CFS2 since it's release and am interested in any comments about the differences between CFS2 and PF. I am on a fairly strict budget so I would only buy PF if it was a major improvement over CFS2. I play Combat Flight Simulator 2 at the highest difficulty settings and find it fairly challenging, how does this compare with the Flight Modeling in PF? Thank you for any comments that you can give about the relative merits of both Games.

heywooood
11-08-2004, 10:24 PM
even if you are on a budget..you need to see PF for yourself. If you are a fan of Warbirds and airial combat of that era you must have PF.

People that are fans of CFS series will say there are things offered there that PF does not do well but there are soo many things that PF and FB/AEP do so much better than CFS that you need to see for yourself and decide for yourself where your happy place is.

Look at PF - it is a good product by itself - but trust me, you will want to have the Forgotten Battles and Ace Expansion Gold pack soon after.

You should read all of the tech advice on this board and be sure your rig is up to snuff though..

Tully__
11-08-2004, 10:36 PM
The in aircraft procedures aren't as well modelled in PF (start up sequences, mixture/manifold pressure control etc) and the maps aren't as big but everything else is better IMHO. I loved managing an aircraft over long distance flights in CFS2 but I found all the other parts of the game to be little more than exercise in frustration with the horrid flight & damage modelling. While PF does have small issues with a couple of aircraft, overall I find it to be a vasttly superior flight, damage and graphics model.

Fliger747
11-08-2004, 10:41 PM
There are a bunch of things that, for a now 'old game' CFS does really well. Now if we could just marry CFS2 with Oleg's graphics and the 1% planes and open arcitecture, we would really have something. PF is a next generation version of CFS2 with some serious limitations. It says a lot that CFS2 is still going strong after a number of years. it is the addons that have enabled this.

Not a IL2/FB addict, I do find this a good sim. The graphic illusion of doing the appraoches to the carrier are spectacular. Only marred by an arresting cable runout of about 300!

If you can find it in the budget, get it. Warning; it may take a computer upgrade, which runs a lot more!

Otherwise wait till it shows up for 10 bucks a 'half price books' in a year or two.

VF15_Muto
11-08-2004, 11:17 PM
S~! Red Baron,

Depends on what you want out of your sim.

If you want to simulate air combat with great graphics and damage modelling, you should really try PF. PF is a really great visually immersive game (although from high altitudes, CFS2 looks better/more realistic ... PF scenery from up high just becomes a blur).

If you want to simulate WW2 piloting with engine management, excellent flight models, navigation, real-world terrain, realistic wind and atmospheric conditions, magnetic declination, and an entire globe to fly around, then stick with CFS2 and 1% aircraft with RealityX. CFS2 is immersive from a WW2 piloting conditions standpoint.

Both offer carrier ops, again PF offers superior graphics and a real immersive visual experience ... those carriers look great.

CFS2, on the other hand, offers you the capability of building a mission with a couple of fleets that sail from Pearl to Midway to New Caledonia ... thousands of miles ... you can just let it sail, launch yourself on an Anti-Sub Patrol mission for a couple hours, come back and land, park, go to bed, get up in the morning, take off again and scout forward to Midway ... and so on.

S~!
VF15_Muto
http://www.vf15-flyingaces.com/

Philipscdrw
11-08-2004, 11:20 PM
It's probably worth hunting about for the Il-2 demo from 2001. PF has a world of stuff added since then, but the game is essentially similar, I'd say.

MiamiEagle
11-09-2004, 08:59 AM
I have both games and I love them both. CFS2 is the best game out there with the exeption of FB Ace.Its one of the most underrated flight Simulator in the market. Out of the Box CFS2 is a very nice but limited flight simulator. But once you discover the great Web sites dedicated to it. All the great upgrades made by members of the community and you learn how to install them . Then it becomes one of the great Combat Simulators in the Market.

Now PF is not as good at this time but it still a very nice Pacific Simulator.It reminds me of when I first bought CFS2. Now remember PF will improve with time . It will become a great simulator in due time. Its backed up by one of the best Developer in the Market. So do not dispair if not as well refine as you would have wanted to be. I highly recomment that you by it and join us in this Web site. That way you may enjoy it as it grows from a nice Simulator to a great one. Forty Dollars is not alot of money to spend in such a great product. I highly recomment that you buy it if you can and for you to keep CFS2. Improve CFS2 to level that you may like thru their communitty. Both game are awsome. To me they are not rivals but sister games that may improve your World War two experience. Enjoy them both. Happy Hunting.

actionhank1786
11-09-2004, 09:07 AM
I had reinstalled CFS2 at some point before Pacific Fighters came out, hoping to warm up the ol' pacific brain areas http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif
I enjoyed it a lot at first, but i got bored with it.
I also didnt like the Flight Models and Damage Models for the planes (and people complained about the corsair now http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif ) But at the time it came out, it was the best.
It is still very good and i'm sure eventually i may install it again, but i've got to say. I dont think you could go wrong with Pacific Fighters.
If you want to really spoil yourself, go out and but Il-2 Sturmovik: Forgotten Battles, then get the Aces Expansion Pack.
You'll have some many hi-quality flyables and AI planes your head will spin http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

redbaron1972
11-09-2004, 06:14 PM
Thank you to everyone for the responses to my question. You have convinced me to buy PF and to maintain CFS2 as well. Thank You.

Lt.Davis
11-09-2004, 06:31 PM
I think you will not return to CFS2 unless your friend still playing it. I own CFS2 also. But sadly it's in my store room now.

Not to say bad thing about CFS2, it's just PF is too good. And i believe you will soon get the IL2:FB and Ace expension Pack. (it's normal)