PDA

View Full Version : A Very Satisfactory Evening's Tweaking!

ytareh
01-07-2010, 04:42 PM
Well I just spent a few hours doing the following:

Disassembling my PC and giving it a thorough dusting .I KNOW its a mortal sin in PC land but I often use the vacuum cleaner to do this and I must say the new VAX model (bought in UK for around 139 in Comet so lots cheaper than a Dyson but maybe even stronger!)stunned me by turning dusty old faded fans into almost as new items .They look as if theyve had an alcohol bath theyre so clean .

I also used a quarter to half inch approx paintbrush and its shocking how much dust gets in at the heat sinks in both gpu and cpu.

I KNOW I KNOW all the above is a static damage risk but I do touch the bottom copper pipe of a house central heating radiator every minute or two when Im at this !

I applied OCZ Freeze (2?) thermal paste (doesnt need months to 'cure' unlike Arctic Silver 5) to my cpu AND took apart the motherboards (ASUS Maximus 2 Formula )monster chipset cooling heat sink system and removed their dreadful cheap crud and applied the OCZ stuff to that .

I changed fans from THIS:

2x12cms at front , 12cm at rear , and 2x8cms in a push/pull set up around the OCZ Vendetta (2?)CPU HSF exhausting through the big 20cm fan in the roof of my Antec 900 case.

to THIS:

As above, but REMOVED the top 8cm on CPU HSF and the 12cm at rear.

TEMPERATURES(all degrees Celsius) (Under Max Load-Gaming or Lin X Stress Test)

GPU: (GTX 295 High Overclock)Mid -High 60s (Idles about 36-41) (No change)

CPUhttp://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gifE8500@4GHz) Maxing out at 46!!!Was well into 60s before -that heat sink must have been seriously clogged up -or else chipset temps were also raising cpu's.(Idling at a whopping 16 right now!Room temp 22 )

Northbridge 37-41 down from 38-43 (idles at 33 down from 36-38)

Southbridge 35-36 down from 39-41 (idles at 33)

Motherboard 24-28 down from 26-30 (22 idle)

Power High 30s UP from mid 30s -hardly a cause for concern?)Idling at 25

When I had an ASUS P5NE32 Sli Premium Wifi (phew!)it also benefitted from removing stock heatsinks although in that case I replaced them entirely.

Very happy with this !

ytareh
01-07-2010, 04:42 PM
Well I just spent a few hours doing the following:

Disassembling my PC and giving it a thorough dusting .I KNOW its a mortal sin in PC land but I often use the vacuum cleaner to do this and I must say the new VAX model (bought in UK for around 139 in Comet so lots cheaper than a Dyson but maybe even stronger!)stunned me by turning dusty old faded fans into almost as new items .They look as if theyve had an alcohol bath theyre so clean .

I also used a quarter to half inch approx paintbrush and its shocking how much dust gets in at the heat sinks in both gpu and cpu.

I KNOW I KNOW all the above is a static damage risk but I do touch the bottom copper pipe of a house central heating radiator every minute or two when Im at this !

I applied OCZ Freeze (2?) thermal paste (doesnt need months to 'cure' unlike Arctic Silver 5) to my cpu AND took apart the motherboards (ASUS Maximus 2 Formula )monster chipset cooling heat sink system and removed their dreadful cheap crud and applied the OCZ stuff to that .

I changed fans from THIS:

2x12cms at front , 12cm at rear , and 2x8cms in a push/pull set up around the OCZ Vendetta (2?)CPU HSF exhausting through the big 20cm fan in the roof of my Antec 900 case.

to THIS:

As above, but REMOVED the top 8cm on CPU HSF and the 12cm at rear.

TEMPERATURES(all degrees Celsius) (Under Max Load-Gaming or Lin X Stress Test)

GPU: (GTX 295 High Overclock)Mid -High 60s (Idles about 36-41) (No change)

CPUhttp://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gifE8500@4GHz) Maxing out at 46!!!Was well into 60s before -that heat sink must have been seriously clogged up -or else chipset temps were also raising cpu's.(Idling at a whopping 16 right now!Room temp 22 )

Northbridge 37-41 down from 38-43 (idles at 33 down from 36-38)

Southbridge 35-36 down from 39-41 (idles at 33)

Motherboard 24-28 down from 26-30 (22 idle)

Power High 30s UP from mid 30s -hardly a cause for concern?)Idling at 25

When I had an ASUS P5NE32 Sli Premium Wifi (phew!)it also benefitted from removing stock heatsinks although in that case I replaced them entirely.

Very happy with this !

TheGrunch
01-07-2010, 05:29 PM
Nice! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif Probably should give my PC a similar bit of TLC myself, actually.

thefruitbat
01-07-2010, 05:32 PM
Whats the general consensus about using a compressor to blow the dust out? Obviously not right in there, but from a controlled distance?

megalopsuche
01-07-2010, 05:36 PM
I cleaned out my whole box a few days ago. The amount of dust in there was disgusting, and after only 6 months since assembly. I also removed the factory heatsink thermal paste, applied some new stuff, and cpu temps are maxing at 44 C. So far as I can tell, the only way to really clean a heat sink is to remove it completely.

wolf-striked
01-07-2010, 06:16 PM
Someone help me here.When ever I try to dust my PC innards I find that instead of dust its sludge.The only thing I can think of is that its grease since I cook alot of meat.I don't even bother anymore.

ytareh
01-07-2010, 06:27 PM
Sheesh!Oh Wolf that sent a dshiver down my spine !I cant imagine its your cooking unless you live in a business/professional kitchen .Whatever it is it CANT be good for yer pc...If it was some kinda fatty sludge (or not even) an alcohol bath would probably be only option.Or a mega rub with alcohol wipes.

AndyJWest
01-07-2010, 06:29 PM
The question over whether it was wise to use a vacuum cleaner to clean a PC came up a few months ago in a thread, and the consensus was DON'T. They can generate large quantities of static, and you could easily zap something. I suspect the same might possibly be true of a compressor.

T_O_A_D
01-07-2010, 08:05 PM
Wolf has a smoker in the house.

It takes electrical cleaner spay to get that out.

I've seen this tar actually make the machine go unstable, and a complete disassemble and washing usually fixes it.

I don't smoke but used to work on a M8's a few years back that did, and always had trouble with his PC, he had cats too http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-mad.gif

I use my air compressor all the time. Just make sure you have a water separator inline so its dry air, also a regulator to drop it down to 20 psi or so, (120 I'd imagine if directed too close could possibly lift something off, not intended) and hold the fans still with your finger, don't let the compress air spin them, it's highly possible to over rev them and ruin them.

Choctaw111
01-07-2010, 08:11 PM
I have been putting this off for far too long.
I really need to break my PC down and do some cleaning myself.

ytareh
01-07-2010, 08:34 PM
Well I wasnt doin all this to reduce global warming!Im at 4.32GHz on my E8500 and just done my first sub 11 sec Super Pi 1M...Very pleased with my 'dusting'.(Although to be honest raising RAM voltage to 2.3V I think has been a big help too...I thought that was very high but Kingston Hyper X data sheet says its normal/safe.I was running 2-2.1V.

megalopsuche
01-07-2010, 09:21 PM
ytareh, what else are you running on that screamer besides Il-2? I mean... I hope you're not only running Il-2 on it. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

na85
01-07-2010, 09:22 PM
ytareh which application(s) do you use for monitoring your system's internals?

wolf-striked
01-07-2010, 09:25 PM
I don't have a smoker in my house.It amazes me how oily everything in my house gets.My air conditioner air filter has same thing.Theres a ton of dust congealed with oil.I have to use soap to clean it while yrs back It was just rinse under faucet.

I have been low carbing for past year and sadly my apartment is becoming a grease pit.I have to degrease the stove fan monthly.Crazy stuff and I posted this here knowing what my problem is and looking for a solution. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

LEBillfish
01-07-2010, 10:32 PM
Filtering does wonders....

Now before you think it really hinders airflow, consider doing the following.......Make labyrinth baffles and use rather open filters. What I mean by that is, make a box that looks something like this:

http://78sentai.org/Me/filter.jpg

Essentailly, the air must snake through the baffles....What happens is if you make it large enough the air velocity is low enough that heavier particles strike the baffles and fall collecting in the bottom. Naturally on the lead end you have a filter.

You'll be stunned at the amount of dust it traps, the filter getting the big stuff (can even use surgical gauze)....The fine stuff falling to the bottom due to the changes in air direction before reaching the intake.

K2

thefruitbat
01-08-2010, 04:28 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by T_O_A_D:

I use my air compressor all the time. Just make sure you have a water separator inline so its dry air, also a regulator to drop it down to 20 psi or so, (120 I'd imagine if directed too close could possibly lift something off, not intended) and hold the fans still with your finger, don't let the compress air spin them, it's highly possible to over rev them and ruin them. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks toad, thats what i thought.

T_O_A_D
01-08-2010, 08:52 AM
Wolf, if it's not a smoker, then you really need to nip this in the bud.

Your lungs are getting the same treatment.

Is it a house or an apartment? If it's an apartment, is the central air shared among others apartments?

If so then their may still be a smoker. Or someone deep fat frying a ton of food, LOL

wolf-striked
01-08-2010, 01:30 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by T_O_A_D:
Wolf, if it's not a smoker, then you really need to nip this in the bud.

Your lungs are getting the same treatment.

Is it a house or an apartment? If it's an apartment, is the central air shared among others apartments?

If so then their may still be a smoker. Or someone deep fat frying a ton of food, LOL </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Its me T_O_A_D and this low carb lifestyle I now live.Its so bad that I think I may just start buying foods like rotisserie chickens etc and stop cooking at home.

M_Gunz
01-08-2010, 01:35 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by thefruitbat:
Whats the general consensus about using a compressor to blow the dust out? Obviously not right in there, but from a controlled distance? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Dry fast air spray is the big static danger, friction raises potentials and the dryness insulates and there is a lot
of energy in compressed air. Industrial, our lines had a bit of oil in them for the machines that wouldn't be good on
a PC board, that is another kind. There is special non-static air spray that is okay to use too. So which one counts.

Vacuums I have are PC safe, never had one yet kill a PC or board on me yet. They used to and probably still do sell
mini-vacs for PCs (going back to the 80's and 90's here in the Computer Shopper mags) with attachments for keyboards
even. I use my shop-vac and sometimes a 600W plug-in dustbuster with no problems.

The thing with static and PCs is how dry the air is. Humid air bleeds charges off, I call them low-potential days.
That's when to work on the PC, or you can set a pot of water on the stove if your air is winter-dry. If you can make
a spark by rubbing your feet then it's not a good time to be poking inside the computer. One on the grounded case
first before touching anything else and a look for an anti-static brush, they are/were for vinyl record cleaning.

Over 30 years doing tech for myself and others, I never zapped a part I worked on yet.

K_Freddie
01-09-2010, 12:40 PM
Every 6 months I strip (to the wire) and cleanup my PC - I've never checked my CPU temp, but just listen to the fan speed - this tells me how dirty my system is. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

With your power plug still plugged in, wall power switch off of course http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif, all you need to do is touch the PC chassis to get rid of body static - If you power earth connection is ok, that is http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif
You can be charged up 1000s of volts, but it's the sequence in which you touch things that blows up the components.

Blowing with a blower is OK as long as it's short low power bursts - You might blow any jumpers away. I usually use a clean/unused paintbrush.
http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif