PDA

View Full Version : AAA Shooting at parachuting pilots... Ridicilous, they choose it over planes

Rikupsoni
11-28-2005, 02:46 PM
Today, I was playing some custom He-111 COOP mission with my friend, then Ship AA shot my plane down, 3 parachuting guys = 3 Ships opening ALL fire to them, it was funny. So much fire concentratent on them, but they miss it almost all. Then close to ground they killed the pilots.

Also I saw BF109 bailing high and ships shooting at one pilot, they prefered the pilots over the planes.

Pe-8 mission, 8 man crew bailed, HUGE AA flak fire on them, 20 Pe-8s got a way..

Did they even shoot at pilots IRL, If did not that much.. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

Rikupsoni
11-28-2005, 02:46 PM
Today, I was playing some custom He-111 COOP mission with my friend, then Ship AA shot my plane down, 3 parachuting guys = 3 Ships opening ALL fire to them, it was funny. So much fire concentratent on them, but they miss it almost all. Then close to ground they killed the pilots.

Also I saw BF109 bailing high and ships shooting at one pilot, they prefered the pilots over the planes.

Pe-8 mission, 8 man crew bailed, HUGE AA flak fire on them, 20 Pe-8s got a way..

Did they even shoot at pilots IRL, If did not that much.. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

berg417448
11-28-2005, 02:50 PM
It happened in real life on occasion but it is odd that the game would do it regularly.

Viper2005_
11-28-2005, 03:42 PM
IMO AAA should always attack aircraft in preference to helpless pilots - paratroopers would be a different matter - but if there are no aircraft to attack, then if said helpless pilot was attacking AAA then I wouldn't be surprised to see them taking a few pot shots.

That said, I find it incredible that parachutes are so vulnerable to gun fire, yet never burn...

YoMommaBinladen
11-28-2005, 06:35 PM
I couldn't tell you if this game does or doesn't do it.

I can tell you that a pilot in a parachute is in essence, a cacooned version of an experienced pilot who has learned from, instead of dying from his mistakes. The problem wasn't enemy planes or their numbers or quality or capabilities. The problem was experienced pilots or the lack of them. The ugly truth is that we learned to let the planes go and make sure the pilot was not someone who could come back later to haunt your mistaken chivalry. Yeppers, we shot 'em and so did the the other side and for good reasons!

Rikupsoni
11-29-2005, 06:16 AM
So the genova contract wasn't obeyed at all? Also if the pilot is landing on your side, they don't want valuable pilot prisoners?

Bakelit
11-29-2005, 06:21 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Yeppers, we shot 'em and so did the the other side and for good reasons! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Apart from that BS statement, everything else well with you ?

p1ngu666
11-29-2005, 06:54 AM
yomomma has a point, but theres also the flipside.

u kill the enemy pilot/crew cos hes a threat if he returns, problem is, where do u find friendly AA? in friendly terroritory, funny enuff, so odds on, hes bailing INSIDE your terrority...

berg417448
11-29-2005, 09:15 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rikupsoni:
So the genova contract wasn't obeyed at all? Also if the pilot is landing on your side, they don't want valuable pilot prisoners? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Do some searching and you will find numerous examples of AAA shooting at parachutes in WWII. It happened....not all the time...but it did happen.

joeap
11-29-2005, 10:55 AM
Not the point of the original poster... http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif I doubt AA under attack would try shooting the guys from the first wave of bombers who bailed while the second were lining up to attack.

darkhorizon11
11-29-2005, 02:03 PM
Its been a problem since IL2 v1.0. Probably won't see a fix for it until BoB since AAA doesn't have the ability to "priortize" it just shoots whats closest.

airdale1960
11-29-2005, 03:33 PM
IL-2/FB/AEP does depict the battles on the Eastern Front. Very Bloody.

LEXX_Luthor
11-29-2005, 07:15 PM
Turning parachutes OFF helps alot, especially in those big bomber formation missions which can fill the sky with hundreds of performance eating parachute calculations. The parachutes are live objects in the game that offer collision targets so disabling them helps. It also helps when you are testing mission design or researching AI aircraft combat behavior since you have to cycle your External View through ALL the dozens of parachutes when you want to see the behavior of the surviving aircraft. I'll never know why Oleg tied parachutes to the normal aircraft External View.

polak5
11-30-2005, 01:20 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by berg417448:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rikupsoni:
So the genova contract wasn't obeyed at all? Also if the pilot is landing on your side, they don't want valuable pilot prisoners? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Do some searching and you will find numerous examples of AAA shooting at parachutes in WWII. It happened....not all the time...but it did happen. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Im sure we can go on forever with examples on how sides were not fair in the war.
But rikupson was just pointing out how in the game this happens way to often and IRL it did not happen as much.

tagTaken2
12-04-2005, 10:36 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by LEXX_Luthor:
Turning parachutes OFF helps alot, especially in those big bomber formation missions which can fill the sky with hundreds of performance eating parachute calculations. The parachutes are live objects in the game that offer collision targets so disabling them helps. It also helps when you are testing mission design or researching AI aircraft combat behavior since you have to cycle your External View through ALL the dozens of parachutes when you want to see the behavior of the surviving aircraft. I'll never know why Oleg tied parachutes to the normal aircraft External View. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

My feelings exactly. Is there a line that can be placed in conf.ini to turn off parachutes (except mine!) during DGen campaign? Think I might have read this somewhere.

antifreeze
12-08-2005, 03:16 PM
The [DGen] line you're thinking of is:

UseParachutes

When included in the conf.ini, all Japanese aircraft will have parachutes.
When not included, the early Japanese pilots will not be allowed to bail.

You can turn parachutes off for individual flights in each .mis file by
including the line:
[II_KG53a10]
Planes 4
Skill 0
Class air.HE_111H2
Fuel 100
weapons 20xSC70
Parachute 0

I don't think you can get DGen to do this globally for all the aircraft
in the campaign; you have to edit all the generated .mis files manually.