PDA

View Full Version : Getting Started - What Mods/Patches do I need

webprofessor
03-23-2007, 12:15 PM
I just got sh3 last night. I see that there are a lot of mods and patches. What do you recommend I install to get started ?

webprofessor
03-23-2007, 12:15 PM
I just got sh3 last night. I see that there are a lot of mods and patches. What do you recommend I install to get started ?

danurve
03-23-2007, 12:39 PM
Make sure you install or have the 1.4 offical patch installed.
Time to get your feet wet.
I highly recomend SH3Commander.
If you plan to install other mods I then also recomend JSGME and familiarize yourself with how to use it to install mods. It's actually very easy but there are some common mistakes made.
There are some very cool mods out, oviously. Stock SH3 is a bit light on harbour jazz you might look into the harbour traffic mod.
Get the torpedo damage final mod - slammin.
There are supermods such as NYGM, WAC, & GWX. Each makes changes to SH3. I happen to like WAC because it works "out of the box" without having to install an additional half dozen patches & other mods to get it playing the way I want. Read information and the readme's about what your getting into. Maybe make sure your pc has enough nads for the extra jazz.
With any heavy traffic mod with land units etc., beware of the [.] camera bug.

http://mysh3.info/WAC/images/wac_2.jpg

Fish40
03-23-2007, 12:57 PM
To be honest, I would first install the latest patch and play the game as is, to get used to the controls ect. When you feel you've mastered the "Vanilla" version of the game, I would suggest installing the GWX Supermod. This in my opinion totally transforms SH3 into a new sim. Better graphics, more difficult damage models, the works.

This mod is really for the realism buff. There are probrably hundreds of smaller mods for the game. GWX is one of a few "SuperMods" available, which incorporate smaller mods into their grand scheme, and improve alot of the original game.

geoffwessex
03-23-2007, 05:56 PM
I think GWX is great, but it seems to be a bit too much for my modest graphics card. I've recently had it fail to load for me several times and I've got rid of it, re-installed SH3 and the 1.4b patch, and am still considering which Mods to use. SH3 Commander gives an added dimension, but SH3 Gen may be what put paid to my setup, so I won't go for that again. If you've got one of the top-notch cards, go for GWX - if not, the smaller Mods are very good.