PDA

View Full Version : What's wrong with the AI?

hshmulik
04-25-2006, 01:34 AM
I started in career mode in the USMC at 1941. My first mission was some kind of patrol at Wake Island. We are 2 groups of 4 F4F-3 Wildcats, and I'm the 4th member of the 2nd group.

When coming in for the landing, we are attacked by pairs of Zeros. For some starge reason, it seems that I'm the only one aware of that fact and all the others are "pre-occupied" with the landing procedure, constantly broadcasting "requesting premission to land", and "OK. going around".

Am I supposed to do all the "work" by myself?
How come the friendly AI doesn't bother to go against the enemy?
Who is calling the "enemy fighters, 12 o'clock", and why won't they act on it?
How come I can't broadcast a similar call?
Why most choices under "Toggle Comms" are disabled (dark red)?
Is it because of my rank? Too low in the chain to give orders?

The only one I can transmit is "Someone help me", but still only one or two members ever bother to come my way, and only for a few seconds or so - they immediately return to their landing procedure while I'm left hanging there with 2 Zeros on my tail... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/touche.gif

hshmulik
04-25-2006, 01:34 AM
I started in career mode in the USMC at 1941. My first mission was some kind of patrol at Wake Island. We are 2 groups of 4 F4F-3 Wildcats, and I'm the 4th member of the 2nd group.

When coming in for the landing, we are attacked by pairs of Zeros. For some starge reason, it seems that I'm the only one aware of that fact and all the others are "pre-occupied" with the landing procedure, constantly broadcasting "requesting premission to land", and "OK. going around".

The only one I can transmit is "Someone help me", but still only one or two members ever bother to come my way, and only for a few seconds or so - they immediately return to their landing procedure while I'm left hanging there with 2 Zeros on my tail... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/touche.gif

lowfighter
04-25-2006, 03:01 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by hshmulik:

The only one I can transmit is "Someone help me", but still only one or two members ever bother to come my way, and only for a few seconds or so - they immediately return to their landing procedure while I'm left hanging there with 2 Zeros on my tail... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/touche.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

hshmulik it's an ancient deficiency of the AI: suppose the waypoints of the flight are
WP1(takeoff) WP2.... WP10 WP11(landing). If the AI of that flight is somewhere between WP11 and WP11(landing) then they will not engage any enemy just go merrily for landing. Nothing you can do about it.

hshmulik
04-26-2006, 04:31 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by lowfighter:
hshmulik it's an ancient deficiency of the AI: suppose the waypoints of the flight are
WP1(takeoff) WP2.... WP10 WP11(landing). If the AI of that flight is somewhere between WP11 and WP11(landing) then they will not engage any enemy just go merrily for landing. Nothing you can do about it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

So, that's only if they are coming to land?
If they are anywhere else they should respond?

What about the fact that I can't broadcast most of the commands? (not that it would help if I could... http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_eek.gif)
Is there a reason for blocking them from me?
It's not the same as when I'm playing from within QMB - there I can't give orders to my winmates.

leadbaloon
04-26-2006, 04:37 AM
It's just because your rank isn't high enough to give orders. If you start with a higher rank then you can start telling other 'planes what to do (not that they'll listen).

lowfighter
04-26-2006, 05:40 AM
If you are the 4th pilot in a flight you can't give orders.
If you are the 1st in a flight you can give orders to your flight, as well as separately to your wingman.
If you are 3rd in a flight you can give orders to your wingman only.
If you are 1st in the first flight of a squadron you can give orders individually to all the 4 flights and global orders for all the squadron and of course orders just to your wingman.
It's clear that if you comand a squadron, a well thought succesion of comands in the battle can have very devastating results to the enemy.