PDA

View Full Version : Variety in Archers/Riflemen

amugae
07-18-2010, 10:01 AM
In AC:B can we have more than just your run-of-the-mill militia goons guarding the rooftops? In AC2 it was way too easy to bypass/kill them, even when they were trying to kill you. No challenge at all. Why not give us more variety and make those rooftop crossings a little more interesting?

Give us some elite rooftop guards to deal with every now and then. And maybe have some archers/riflemen patrol in pairs. Also give us pole vaulting seekers who would be able to jump across buildings with ease.

amugae
07-18-2010, 10:01 AM
In AC:B can we have more than just your run-of-the-mill militia goons guarding the rooftops? In AC2 it was way too easy to bypass/kill them, even when they were trying to kill you. No challenge at all. Why not give us more variety and make those rooftop crossings a little more interesting?

Give us some elite rooftop guards to deal with every now and then. And maybe have some archers/riflemen patrol in pairs. Also give us pole vaulting seekers who would be able to jump across buildings with ease.

thekyle0
07-18-2010, 10:18 AM
Indeed, I expected there to at least be some agiles up on the roof tops. Of course, I also assumed that the agiles would be more adept at freerunning than the typical militia men. It would have been much cooler if a guard could give chase to you while on the rooftops.

Although, pole vaulting seekers? Seekers are typically heavily armored. It makes more sense for light weight guards to be on the rooftops, or pole-vaulting for that matter. I like the idea of them keeping in pairs or even clusters. I'd also like to see them more spread out in unimportant areas and more concentrated in important areas, such as around gates or Papal strongholds. Moving through Venice(especially San Polo) I was frustrated by how many guards kept interrupting me on the rooftops. There is no way around them other than to take to the streets. In a key location, this would make sense. It encourages the player to use the crowd to approach a key target, or to use the Brotherhood to carve a path across the rooftops. In typical residential district it doesn't really make much sense for a large group guards to be watching from the rooftops.

But anyway, great thread. I look forward to hearing what the general mood about this is.

AMuppetMatt
07-18-2010, 10:27 AM
Expanding on this, I would quite like to see guards being able to swim.
Obviously not Brutes or Seekers, but I would have thought that AT LEAST Agiles would have been able to swim... none can.

Wouldn't it be cool for you to be swimming away, only to be dragged under by a pursuing? You have to turn around and if he's on high health kick him in the face, on low health, slash him with your short sword or even stab him with the hidden blade.

At least, that's my feelings...

jimbo11235813
07-18-2010, 11:44 AM
Swimming guards is a must. It just seems weird that the guards, who are expected to pursue law breakers, can't save themselves if they fall in the water.

I also think that the guards on the roof should be more varied. You lose archers so easily, and a quick leap from a chimney and they're dead.

One thing I found was that when people free-run in the game, they don't climb the building like Ezio, but they find platforms and ledge rather than handholds. Even the agiles and thieves, who are meant to be brilliant at climbing (as good or better than Ezio), climb like this. They should make the climbing AI better, then make some of the archers into agile archers.

One thing I'd absolutely love is if you could snap vertical flagpoles and use them as vaulting poles to leap large distances. But like thekyle said, seekers are heavily armoured, but it would be cool if the archers could do this as well. Now I've got myself wondering whether there will be new free-running moves (apart from the lift thing, which is awesome).

notafanboy
07-18-2010, 12:16 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by AMuppetMatt:
Expanding on this, I would quite like to see guards being able to swim.
Obviously not Brutes or Seekers, but I would have thought that AT LEAST Agiles would have been able to swim... none can.

Wouldn't it be cool for you to be swimming away, only to be dragged under by a pursuing? You have to turn around and if he's on high health kick him in the face, on low health, slash him with your short sword or even stab him with the hidden blade.

At least, that's my feelings... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
they can swim http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4RknAxNJXnM http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

amugae
07-18-2010, 08:17 PM
I don't know about swimming guys. I mean, I'm sure everyone who's ever been to a swimming pool knows, but fighting underwater is a slow, clumsy and awkward affair. I'm not sure how well that would translate into gameplay.

On retrospect I guess pole vaulting seekers idea wasn't all that carefully thought of. But still I'd like to see some pole vaulting from somebody, just to make it so that at least some guards can keep up with Ezio.

bearsbball11
07-18-2010, 09:32 PM
I completely agree. In AC2 it was far too easy to lose/kill guards who spotted you. It would be nice if at least some of them were a challenge...

EzioAssassin51
07-19-2010, 12:37 AM
I actually think that Archers are being replaced by the Riflemen!

Or maybe the archers are only in the poorer areas of Rome (such as the country/town/village district (whatever the name of it is!)

AMuppetMatt
07-19-2010, 11:59 AM
I'm not suggesting fast fighting in water, I'm suggesting some attempts to grab you and push you under and you having to kick them or stab them.
I'm not naive enough to think Ezio will be able to role underneath the pursuing guard and proceed to cut him up at 20 slashes a second. Just some sort of combat element in water, no fancy chases or flips or special moves, just a swim and a shove or a stab.

Regarding archers on the rooftops, I'm hoping there'll be a good mixture of them in the same district. Just riflemen or just archers in one district (or in the whole game) wouldn't really show much variation. It's not like they need to make a new character model for the archers either.

amugae
07-19-2010, 07:04 PM
Ok I guess that could work. But it will have to be noticeably more difficult than dry land fighting, otherwise all you'd have to do is jump in the nearest pond and wait for the guards to swim out to you and get murdered. Which would be not fun and totally not befitting of an eagle-themed assassin.

DJBare
07-19-2010, 09:33 PM
"sighs"; I don't want it harder, it appears to be a mantra from gamers these days, make it harder!!, make it impossible!!.

This is just something I would like to say, not everyone requires hardcore to enjoy a game, so please when you ask for it to be harder, ask for it to be an option, I for one am not interested in flexing my gaming muscle, but I do enjoy exploring the maps and getting into the odd fight, in AC1 and AC2 the rooftops are my favorite place to be as it avoids the irritating NPCs on the ground, please don't take away my sanctuary from those horrors the bards and box carriers!

Ru1986
07-20-2010, 02:33 AM
"Pole Vaulting Seekers" very accurate the first Olympic games was in 1896 (modern Olmpics not acient obviously) Pole vault not added til 1900 four years later boring aint i.