PDA

View Full Version : flight controls recommendations please

SsSsSsSsSnake
11-18-2009, 12:54 AM
always used a logitech freedom2.4 joystick but would like to try the pedals and stuff, but no idea what is rubbish and what is good,im sure you guys can enlighten me
thanks ssssssssssssssssssssnake

SsSsSsSsSnake
11-18-2009, 12:54 AM
always used a logitech freedom2.4 joystick but would like to try the pedals and stuff, but no idea what is rubbish and what is good,im sure you guys can enlighten me
thanks ssssssssssssssssssssnake

Sillius_Sodus
11-18-2009, 07:22 AM
CH and Saitek pedals are the ones used the most around here, some players have Simped units which are quite $$$ but apparently very good.

Sticks are a matter of personal preference and there are several threads on this forum dealing with the pros and cons of the major brands.

gamer025
11-18-2009, 09:32 AM
Could one use rudder pedals with a twist-handle joystick? What could you map the twist-handle to if you had pedals?

Sokol__1
11-18-2009, 10:10 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Could one use rudder pedals with a twist-handle joystick? What could you map the twist-handle to if you had pedals? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, map twist to another function, like rudder trim, or none:

Assign ruder pedal to rudder control, so twist don't work more. Easy.

Sokol1

Chivas
11-18-2009, 10:22 AM
If I was looking for a new Hotas I would seriously look into Logitech's G940.

FishCookie
11-19-2009, 04:59 AM
I wouldn't touch the G940 till Logitech do something about their drivers.
At the moment forcing spring centering in game doesn't go all the way to the centre, sloppy centre syndrome.
When you reverse the direction of travel on the throttle, trim wheels and rotaries on the throttle it lurches ~4% making trimming and throttle control awful( forget formation flying with the G940).
Vista and windows 7 compatibilty wasn't even considered so the driver only really works on 32bit XP.
The analogue ministick on the stick is terrible and most owners have to just use a deadzone and zone assignments turning it into a HAT, even Logitech's DCS:BS profile had the ministick in that config so they do know.

Logitechs response so far has been to take our money and say nothing apart from that they are going to make improvements but that was 2 months ago and no updates and no official response to the rotaries problem.
LgoitechMark (G940 project head) visited all the forums of the major flight sims trying to hawk this POS and now that they've covered the R&D he's gone and so is any official support. At the Logitech forums it just a bunch of us users running round in circles trying help other chumps who bought into the idea of Logitech providing a high precision premier flght control system.
Don't buy it, get a CH stick and pedals and an X52 for the throttle is my best advice

Urufu_Shinjiro
11-19-2009, 11:27 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by FishCookie:
I wouldn't touch the G940 till Logitech do something about their drivers.
At the moment forcing spring centering in game doesn't go all the way to the centre, sloppy centre syndrome.
When you reverse the direction of travel on the throttle, trim wheels and rotaries on the throttle it lurches ~4% making trimming and throttle control awful( forget formation flying with the G940).
Vista and windows 7 compatibilty wasn't even considered so the driver only really works on 32bit XP.
The analogue ministick on the stick is terrible and most owners have to just use a deadzone and zone assignments turning it into a HAT, even Logitech's DCS:BS profile had the ministick in that config so they do know.

Logitechs response so far has been to take our money and say nothing apart from that they are going to make improvements but that was 2 months ago and no updates and no official response to the rotaries problem.
LgoitechMark (G940 project head) visited all the forums of the major flight sims trying to hawk this POS and now that they've covered the R&D he's gone and so is any official support. At the Logitech forums it just a bunch of us users running round in circles trying help other chumps who bought into the idea of Logitech providing a high precision premier flght control system.
Don't buy it, get a CH stick and pedals and an X52 for the throttle is my best advice </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Damn, I had high hopes. I would love to get a CH stick but their throttle, ugh, no rotaries, MUST HAVE ROTARIES.

Maybe the new Thrustmaster Warthog will be good out of the box and be reasonably priced.

NuMcA_of_CS
11-20-2009, 12:56 AM
Have you considered building your own controls? Pedals are the easiest to make and -in my case- i ended up with something better than anything on the market. Full metal design, hydraulic rods for centering and 3 hall effects sensors for steering and braking. I just finished the hall effect upgrade, i will post pictures within the weekend, but check the older version here:
* http://miskatonic-tech.blogspot.com/ (scroll down, 2 posts for pedals)
* http://forums.ubi.com/eve/foru...151090597#4151090597 (http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/49310655/m/5271012437?r=4151090597#4151090597)

Pedals are quite easy to make your self. For a good usb controller for them, google "MJOY" and "BU0836".

As for joystick, i would vote for a CH one, but i have never owned one. I own a Saitek X52 Pro, but i believe it could be even better.