PDA

View Full Version : Birds of Prey - How Good?

Avivion
03-06-2010, 12:39 PM
I've seen a number of trailers for the IL2 - Birds of Prey, and it looks simply STUNNING !!

Anyone has this? How really good is it? Also, which version is better -- PS3 or XBOX ?

Avivion
03-06-2010, 12:39 PM
I've seen a number of trailers for the IL2 - Birds of Prey, and it looks simply STUNNING !!

Anyone has this? How really good is it? Also, which version is better -- PS3 or XBOX ?

doogerie
03-06-2010, 01:25 PM
dude you would be better of asking on the 1C forums we are all PC Simmers I have played it so i will try and help the game is fun (no doubt)but it is arcadie if i were you i would buy a joystick and IL2 1946 is so much better yes the graphics are not as good as BOP but the flight models and the combat and evrything is just sublime als there is an active comunaty and a lode of good user made missions oh and over 35 playabel aircraft to fly.hope i helped a bit

kimosabi79
03-06-2010, 02:06 PM
Put simple: It looks freakin' great but it is nowhere near the flight models of the IL-2 1946. The aircrafts felt like they were on rails or something compared to IL-2.

I did not buy it because of that.

*edit* Oh, you're talking about console..... Can't comment on that. It's still an arcade.

MrSteven37
03-06-2010, 02:21 PM
I was madly looking forward to this game for a while up to its release and I must say I was pretty disappointed. After being spoiled by how much of a masterpiece 1946 is, it just didn't feel like flying anymore.

Fiberbot
03-07-2010, 12:44 PM
PC Gamer has a review on WOP in the latest issue. The review seems right on base with most opinions here on this forum. I'll quote the first paragraph in the review:
" The console version of this WWII flight sim was blessed with an IL2-Sturmovik prefix, but the publishers clearly knew they'd be playing with fire if they waived that revered title around willy-nilly on the PC. Sturmovik is the first and last name in combat flight simulation. For a game untouched by the saintly hands of IL2's megabrain Oleg Maddox to lay claim to that title...it'd be like a hamster wearing a dog mask and going for Best in Show."

To quote the last paragraph of the review:

"WoP is an odd thing--so confident in many ways but flailing for legitimacy in others. Still, it's effectively two games in one and, for the sim crowd, it'll help stave off the great hunger caused by the now three-year-plus wait for the real Sturmovik sequel, Battle of Britain."

Need I quote more?

Choctaw111
03-07-2010, 02:22 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Fiberbot:

"...three-year-plus wait for the real Sturmovik sequel, Battle of Britain."

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

3 years?
Try about 6 since Oleg first mentioned "the sequel".

Metatron_123
03-07-2010, 03:02 PM
Wings of Prey is a good game, the graphics are especially pleasing, the ground detailing is beautiful, and the action can be good.

It is lacking in some serious areas, like the campaign, where you get missions like: ''Sink these four destroyers with your Hurricane mkIIs infinite bombs'', which is strange because otherwise you have the basic ingredients of a sim, the aircraft handle more or less realistically, you have flaps, trim, pitch etc.

However one point: The devs pay close attention to the constructive criticism on the forums, and they are slowly improving the game.

It hasn't been promoted as widely as Birds of Prey which makes me think that we are the guinea pigs testing the beta before the final launch. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/partyhat.gif

Bearcat99
03-07-2010, 08:05 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by doogerie:
dude you would be better of asking on the 1C forums we are all PC Simmers I have played it so i will try and help the game is fun (no doubt)but it is arcadie if i were you i would buy a joystick and IL2 1946 is so much better yes the graphics are not as good as BOP but the flight models and the combat and evrything is just sublime als there is an active comunaty and a lode of good user made missions oh and over 35 playabel aircraft to fly.hope i helped a bit </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

WOP for PC (http://www.gogamer.com/viewproduct.htm?productId=95643999&extid=SimHQAd)

46 is still king.. they are supposed to be fixing the FMs and adding skinning & QM capabilities.. Whether ornot this happens remains to be seen. I will probably try it... for PC.. I am waiting for SoW to really get my juices flowing...

irR4tiOn4L
03-08-2010, 06:04 AM
I have the PC version of Wings of Prey, and i would describe it as a modified IL2 that is less full featured but with a new (and VERY pretty!) coat of paint

The comparison is more than skin deep, because imho this has to be IL2 and its FM/DM's runnning underneath - the controls, underlying features, heck, even the 3d support (or rather its glitches) are identical underneath to IL2. I know that the developers supposedly licensed the FM's, but without an engine those are useless, and i dont see the devs creating a new engine from scratch. I think this is just a modified IL2

Where it really lacks is the breadth of IL2 and imho its worth it only if you are looking for something that looks a lot better, flies the same but dont mind loosing many of the planes and scenarios