PDA

View Full Version : problems btween game and audigy cards?

danjama
07-22-2005, 04:44 PM
Can anyone tell me of any problems between the game and soundblasterlive cards. Dont get it confused with the audigy 2 cards. I heard that there has been issues between the sound blasters and this game. Not sure what though. Any info? caus im about to get a card.

danjama
07-22-2005, 04:44 PM
Can anyone tell me of any problems between the game and soundblasterlive cards. Dont get it confused with the audigy 2 cards. I heard that there has been issues between the sound blasters and this game. Not sure what though. Any info? caus im about to get a card.

VW-IceFire
07-22-2005, 05:31 PM
I had issues with my Audigy...I fought with it for a while and then eventually gave up. Some sort of environmental audio thing was stuck giving the inside of my cockpit the sound of a huge metal drum.

I started using my Soundstorm onboard Audio system which is reputedly the best onboard sound solution ever made (some were hoping nVidia would jump up and make a PCI version - but alas not). It works quite well.

LOTS and lots of people use the Creative cards and I have in the past. There are good ones, bad ones, ones that work well with all games, ones that sound fantastic with most games...its really tough.

As for the SB Live...its ancient. Why bother? The Audigy 2s are cheap these days.

danjama
07-22-2005, 05:34 PM
thanks ice fire, yeah they are cheap and good but very hard to get hold of.

FoolTrottel
07-22-2005, 05:47 PM
Do not get such a card (soundblasterlive) if you truly want to enjoy this game ...

Not that there are issues, if you set it up correctly it will work flawlessly ...

But, that 'Live' thing does not have it's own APU and it will rely on yer CPU to make them sounds... thus it'll lower FPS ...

The Audigy does have it's own APU.

Oh, and an Audigy connected to a decent speaker set will make them sounds sound a lot better ...
(There's some threads around here on the inferiour sound quality of this game, but I think quality is great, providing you've got a good rig. To elaborate on this: In some other combat flight simulator - in which you can 'recognize' a Merlin they say - I allways found sound to be predictable: Me in a Hurri - Merrily Merlining along, suddenly 109 on tail, BANG, oh yeah, I can instantly hear them rods go crazy, suffered some engine damage .... Folowing that BANG the damaged engine sound is allways the same! Predictable!
In IL2 I find: BANG a hit. Oh dear. I'm still flying along. After a while me thinks: What's this, something's different here ... the engine sounds a bit different ... does it? ... or doesn't it?... Oh dear, is it damaged? And indeed, further in the flight ... loosing power/thrust/speed ... smokin'!)

Have Fun!
PS Don't get that live thing, I know, I've been there, done that!

danjama
07-22-2005, 05:54 PM
That is so true what u said about il2 sounds! They are ok even though im onboadr rite now. Im gonna get an audigy 2.

Tiger27
07-22-2005, 10:05 PM
Just upgraded to an Audigy2 well worth it, sounds are very nice now and no noticable FPS hit.

ytareh
07-23-2005, 02:07 PM
I think there is no doubt that the Audigy 2 ZS is the only serious sound card choice.Having said that I found mine a temperamental enough piece of kit.Had to reinstall it several times to solve glitches and still cant get it to retain settings in control panel.(Maybe related to my attempts to repel its onboard spyware!!!)

Wilburnator
07-23-2005, 10:14 PM
I have an Audigy 2 ZS that works perectly, no troubles at all. I used to have a Soundblaster Live! that really sucked.

steve_v
07-23-2005, 10:24 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ytareh:
(Maybe related to my attempts to repel its onboard spyware!!!) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>http://www.geocities.com/g8tr45/eh.txt

SidCheshire
07-24-2005, 03:23 AM
I have an Audigy (not a 2 or later) working with Creative 5.1 speakers. Once the settings on the card and computer are set to 5.1 surround sound it works fine. I have tried the game settings on "Soundblaster Live" and custom and get good effects.

I havent tried much with the EAX effects because it can be too finnicky to get a good sound. Its a shame the game doesnt support EAX fully ie. selecting it in the settings, because using EAX 2 with 5.1 in games like Call of Duty is awesome and makes the game infinately more immersive.