PDA

View Full Version : Trim Troubles...

SpitfireSeafire
07-08-2005, 07:02 PM
I recently got PF, and installed the patchs all the way up to and including 4.01. I have really been working on 3 (trying to choose 1) ally carrier aircraft. The seafire is one. It isn't the fastest or best armed but I just like it. I can take off the carrier fine, and land 1/10 (hazaa!), but I am having trouble trimming to level flight. The Ctrl right arrow seems to do nothing, so could someone give me some tips on level flight. THe shift right arrow seems work more than ctrl right arrow when trimming.

I just need some tips on trimming and flying seafires in general. <---- strategies

SpitfireSeafire
07-08-2005, 07:02 PM
I recently got PF, and installed the patchs all the way up to and including 4.01. I have really been working on 3 (trying to choose 1) ally carrier aircraft. The seafire is one. It isn't the fastest or best armed but I just like it. I can take off the carrier fine, and land 1/10 (hazaa!), but I am having trouble trimming to level flight. The Ctrl right arrow seems to do nothing, so could someone give me some tips on level flight. THe shift right arrow seems work more than ctrl right arrow when trimming.

I just need some tips on trimming and flying seafires in general. &lt;---- strategies

VW-IceFire
07-08-2005, 08:34 PM
Ahh yes, you see Ctrl Right and Left isn't going to work because the Spitfire has no aileron trim controls.

The Spitfire has elevator and rudder. Aircraft like the 109 have only elevator. Some aircraft have no trim control (I think just the I-16 and I-153).

In any case, use the slip indicator (bottom right as I recall) and try and keep that centered. As long as thats centered (use the rudder) and the plane is flying along at cruise speed or above, it will not roll into the ground.

Its not completely hands off but rudder trim used properly aliveates the problem.

LEXX_Luthor
07-08-2005, 08:42 PM
If you have not tried it yet, map your elevator trim to mousewheel. Mouse wheel trim works great, fast response and you learn how much you need to roll the wheel instead of learning the number of keyboard clicks. Set this up in the HOTAS section of Controls menu. I use top of wheel roll back to be elevator trim up. I forgot if this was + or - Z axis. Experiment.

VF-29_Sandman
07-09-2005, 07:25 AM
if u can afford 1, maybe use the throttle body of the x-45 or maybe get the x-52. then u can map the rotary's for ur trim tabs on wings/rudder/elevator. with this patch, seems that getting a hotas setup is practically manditory like track ir.