PDA

View Full Version : Interesting..

WildDog9
02-06-2007, 04:49 PM
Obviously, this game is based on actual things. Thanks to TidalPhoenix, he linked me to the Hashshashin link. I found out that the fortress was Alamut, a book I have. So I looked into that. I think you may find this interesting.

Alamut
Alamut (Persian: ?? ??????) was once a mountain fortress in the arid hills by the Elburz mountains, south of the Caspian Sea, close to Gazor Khan, near Qazvin, about 100 km from present-day Tehran in Iran. Only ruins remain of this fortress today.
According to Hamdollah Mostowfi, the fortress was built in 840 at an elevation of 2,100 m. It was built in a way that had only one passable artificial entrance that wound its way around the cliff face (the one natural approach, a steep gravel slope, was too dangerous to use); thus making conquering the fortress extremely difficult. The fort has an unusual system of water supply. The top was extremely narrow and long " perhaps 400 meters long, and no more than 30 meters wide in any place, and usually less.
In 1090 the fortress was infiltrated and occupied by the powerful Ismaili sect of Shia Islam (known to the West by the nickname Hashshashin or Assassins), and was then fabled for its gardens and libraries. The ruins of 23 other fortresses remain in the vicinity.
The fortress was commanded by
Hassan Sabbah (10971124)
Buzurg-Ummid (11241138)
Muhammad I of Alamut (11381162)
Hassan II of Alamut (11621166)
Muhammad II of Alamut (11661210)
Hassan III of Alamut (12101221)
Mohammed III (12211255)
Ruknud-Din Khurshah (12551256)
The fortress was destroyed on December 15, 1256 by Hulagu Khan as part of the Mongol offensive on Islamic southwest Asia. The fortress itself was impregnable, but Ruknuddin Khor-shah surrendered it without a real fight, in the vain hope that Hulagu would be merciful.
In 2004, an earthquake further damaged the already crumbling walls of the fort.

Hassan-i Sabbah (Persian: ??? ????) (circa 1034 - 1124) was an Iranian Isma'ili Nizari missionary who converted a community in the late 11th century in the heart of the Alborz Mountains of northern Iran. The place was called Alamut and was attributed to an ancient king of Daylam. He founded a group whose members are sometimes (originally derogatorily) referred to as the Hashshashin.

The Hashshashin (also Hashishin, Hashashiyyin or Assassins) was a religious sect of Ismaili Muslims from the Nizari sub-sect. They had a militant basis which was employed in various political or religious purposes.[citation needed] They were thought to be active in the 8th to 14th centuries.[citation needed] This mystic secret society specialized in terrorising the Abbasid elite with fearlessly executed, politically motivated assassinations.[citation needed] The word "assassin" is derived from their name.[citation needed] Their own name for the sect was al-da'wa al-jadida (?????????????) which means the new doctrine.[citation needed] They called themselves fedayeen from the Arabic fida'i, which means one who is ready to sacrifice their life for a cause.

Although apparently known as early as the 8th century, the foundation of the Assassins is usually marked as 1090 when Hasan-i Sabbah established his stronghold in the Daylam mountains south of the Caspian Sea at Alamut. A Yemeni emigrant and an Ismaili Shiite, Hasan set the aim of the Assassins to destroy the power of the Abbasid Caliphate by murdering its most powerful members. Much of the current western lore surrounding the Assassins stems from Marco Polo's supposed visit to Alamut in 1273, which is widely considered fictional (especially as the stronghold had reportedly been destroyed by the Mongols in 1256).

This is very interesting. Discuss.

WildDog9
02-06-2007, 04:49 PM
Obviously, this game is based on actual things. Thanks to TidalPhoenix, he linked me to the Hashshashin link. I found out that the fortress was Alamut, a book I have. So I looked into that. I think you may find this interesting.

Alamut
Alamut (Persian: ?? ??????) was once a mountain fortress in the arid hills by the Elburz mountains, south of the Caspian Sea, close to Gazor Khan, near Qazvin, about 100 km from present-day Tehran in Iran. Only ruins remain of this fortress today.
According to Hamdollah Mostowfi, the fortress was built in 840 at an elevation of 2,100 m. It was built in a way that had only one passable artificial entrance that wound its way around the cliff face (the one natural approach, a steep gravel slope, was too dangerous to use); thus making conquering the fortress extremely difficult. The fort has an unusual system of water supply. The top was extremely narrow and long " perhaps 400 meters long, and no more than 30 meters wide in any place, and usually less.
In 1090 the fortress was infiltrated and occupied by the powerful Ismaili sect of Shia Islam (known to the West by the nickname Hashshashin or Assassins), and was then fabled for its gardens and libraries. The ruins of 23 other fortresses remain in the vicinity.
The fortress was commanded by
Hassan Sabbah (10971124)
Buzurg-Ummid (11241138)
Muhammad I of Alamut (11381162)
Hassan II of Alamut (11621166)
Muhammad II of Alamut (11661210)
Hassan III of Alamut (12101221)
Mohammed III (12211255)
Ruknud-Din Khurshah (12551256)
The fortress was destroyed on December 15, 1256 by Hulagu Khan as part of the Mongol offensive on Islamic southwest Asia. The fortress itself was impregnable, but Ruknuddin Khor-shah surrendered it without a real fight, in the vain hope that Hulagu would be merciful.
In 2004, an earthquake further damaged the already crumbling walls of the fort.

Hassan-i Sabbah (Persian: ??? ????) (circa 1034 - 1124) was an Iranian Isma'ili Nizari missionary who converted a community in the late 11th century in the heart of the Alborz Mountains of northern Iran. The place was called Alamut and was attributed to an ancient king of Daylam. He founded a group whose members are sometimes (originally derogatorily) referred to as the Hashshashin.

The Hashshashin (also Hashishin, Hashashiyyin or Assassins) was a religious sect of Ismaili Muslims from the Nizari sub-sect. They had a militant basis which was employed in various political or religious purposes.[citation needed] They were thought to be active in the 8th to 14th centuries.[citation needed] This mystic secret society specialized in terrorising the Abbasid elite with fearlessly executed, politically motivated assassinations.[citation needed] The word "assassin" is derived from their name.[citation needed] Their own name for the sect was al-da'wa al-jadida (?????????????) which means the new doctrine.[citation needed] They called themselves fedayeen from the Arabic fida'i, which means one who is ready to sacrifice their life for a cause.

Although apparently known as early as the 8th century, the foundation of the Assassins is usually marked as 1090 when Hasan-i Sabbah established his stronghold in the Daylam mountains south of the Caspian Sea at Alamut. A Yemeni emigrant and an Ismaili Shiite, Hasan set the aim of the Assassins to destroy the power of the Abbasid Caliphate by murdering its most powerful members. Much of the current western lore surrounding the Assassins stems from Marco Polo's supposed visit to Alamut in 1273, which is widely considered fictional (especially as the stronghold had reportedly been destroyed by the Mongols in 1256).

This is very interesting. Discuss.

noobfun
02-06-2007, 05:24 PM
discuss ......

most of that is cut and pasted from wiki and wrong

Alamut has nothing to do with the game your base of opperations is masyaf meaning you are working from syria meaning your under the orders of Sinan (this was the guy refered to as the old man of the mountain not hassan)

Sinan was also the guy that sent missions after Saladin twice (second time they injured him) and it was sinan that got the truce with Saladin that stopped the nizari bieng presecuted, when all other heretical muslim factions were bieng rigerously persicuted on saladin's orders

WildDog9
02-09-2007, 09:33 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by noobfun:
discuss ......

most of that is cut and pasted from wiki and wrong

Alamut has nothing to do with the game your base of opperations is masyaf meaning you are working from syria meaning your under the orders of Sinan (this was the guy refered to as the old man of the mountain not hassan)

Sinan was also the guy that sent missions after Saladin twice (second time they injured him) and it was sinan that got the truce with Saladin that stopped the nizari bieng presecuted, when all other heretical muslim factions were bieng rigerously persicuted on saladin's orders </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

1: Most of that is accurate. Maybe 98%
2: I didn't say it had to do with the game, I said that the game is based on fact. Try reading before posting.

noobfun
02-09-2007, 10:08 AM
Originally posted by WildDog9:

Hassan-i Sabbah (Persian: ??? ????) (circa 1034 - 1124) was an Iranian Isma'ili Nizari missionary who converted a community in the late 11th century in the heart of the Alborz Mountains of northern Iran. The place was called Alamut and was attributed to an ancient king of Daylam. He founded a group whose members are sometimes (originally derogatorily) referred to as the Hashshashin.<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

he was a ishma'ili nizari missionary? the nizari split happened at the same time that they gained Alumut set up thier own state moved in a large portion of the ishma'ili population to protect them from persecution, so he was a ishma'ili missionary and he didnt convert a town and got a free castle. they gained the castle then moved in the isma'ili people

Originally posted by WildDog9:
A Yemeni emigrant and an Ismaili Shiite, Hasan set the aim of the Assassins to destroy the power of the Abbasid Caliphate by murdering its most powerful members. Much of the current western lore surrounding the Assassins stems from Marco Polo's supposed visit to Alamut in 1273, which is widely considered fictional (especially as the stronghold had reportedly been destroyed by the Mongols in 1256).

This is very interesting. Discuss. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

yemen ....... he was born in Qom then grew up mostly in Ray both in Iran. he didnt set his sights at anyone in perticular anyone that was a threat to a free ishma'ili state were open targets this did include Abbasid Caliphate. this was a religeous outpost not a ninja clan bent on the destruction of a daimyo, they killed when they had to

they cared about balancing the power of thier enemies to keep them fighting each other or to kill the ones that openly wanted war against them

your own quotes contradict each other one says iranian the other yemen ones middle east the others africa .....

you want the intresting history of the nizari find out about the nizari reserection (Hassan II declared it had happened in 1164) when they as a people turned thier backs on muslim law prayed facing away from mecca rumored to have openly drunk wine and believed everyone that wasnt a nizari were basically an illusion so killing them was simply returning the illusion to the nothingness they had come from hence the phrase "nothing is real, everything is allowed"

also look up sinan alot more relevant then hassan or mohammad II who was the imam during the period of the game and he is the guy most of the legends are about

acsociety
02-15-2007, 05:15 PM
The Assassins, the secret society in which this game is based on, were a group of paradise seeking men. The members of this clan were initiated and trained for one reason and one reason only to serve the commands of their masters. There are historical acounts, according to a book i have read, of members who stood on cliffs or towers and when their master gave them the signal they threw themselves to their death. The most notorious leader of 'The Assassins was a man by the name of Hasan ( who is mentioned in the developer's diaries on the official website). This leader Hasan, was placed under the tutorship of a man by the name of Imam Muwafiq, who chose to instruct only the most promising students. This Muwafiq man was the tutor of a famous poet and astronomer and a Prime Minister. Anyway, through this mans teachings, Hasan learned techniques of persuasion and manipulation. He used this to gain power and become the leader of 'The Assassins'. When Hasan was the leader he built a fortress which he called the Alamut, which parts of still remain today, and in this fortress created a secret garden consisting of every fruit imaginable. Hasan was said to have drugged members, who were under his power, with hashish and other narcotics and bring them to this garden telling them this is where they would go if they died. It was also said Hasan took a man put him in a pit and filled the pit allowing the mans head to stick out. He then put a hole in a plate cut it in half and put it around the man's head. He also sprinkled a red substance around the man's head. Hasan then drugged members and brand them to this alive man who was forced to lie and say he has died and he has been to the paradise. When Hasan was done with this man he cut his head off because the man was a threat. This events were the reason members became unafraid of death and were so voluntary to commands which required them fall to their death. Also, when an Assassin member killed an important person, or an enemy of the master,( there would obviously be guards around ) they would just surrender to the guards because they were not afraid of death.
When Hasan was the leader, which was during the time this game is set he commanded the members of the assassins to kill important and key people involved in the Third Crusade.
Another interesting fact is that the ninthe and final step of the initiation was summed up with their slogan: Nothing is True, Everything is Permitted ( Also mention in the Official website.).

----------All information acquired from a book i have read-------------------------------------

WildDog9
02-15-2007, 08:40 PM
Can you stop posting that? You've posted that in three topics by now.

noobfun
02-16-2007, 07:01 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by WildDog9:
Can you stop posting that? You've posted that in three topics by now. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

its even less acurate then the stuff you posted

this guys a clown

WildDog9
02-16-2007, 01:49 PM
Um. My stuff is accurate. Take a history class bud.

princeofyo
02-16-2007, 04:32 PM
Calm down guys...

Wild Dog if this is from Wikipedia, you should at least say that it is, or else that's called plagerism.

noobfun
02-17-2007, 05:09 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by WildDog9:
Um. My stuff is accurate. Take a history class bud. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

lol looks like im the one teaching it, as ive already pointed out your sources contradict each other, and the link phoenix gave you was to wikipedia because ive read that topic ive also read the wikipedia page and most of the links from that topic

and i gave you a link to a real book by a real historian (like omg homework) his work is based on the book "The Alamut" but advances it to bring it up to date with lots of information that has been rediscovered since the "The Alamut" was written 50+ years ago. but hey here you go again cause im a nice man

big book of Nizari history type stuff (http://www.acampbell.ukfsn.org/assassins/index.html)

WildDog9
02-17-2007, 06:34 AM
Can someone please lock this topic? Acsociety continued it with his bull****. And yes, It is from Wiki, but I did take a history class about the Third Crusade..