PDA

View Full Version : Real Bombing Tactics - 101

BSS_Vidar
11-08-2004, 07:01 PM
I posted this in another thread and decided to start my own. These are two real bombing tactics which will help you get through this nasty AAA.

High-Altitude Dive Bombing:

NEVER drive straight in to your target. I fly an arch, which means a constant change of bearing for the AAA. It seems to slightly lag behind my plane (even SBD's). Keep that arch a constant distance from the intended target until you are lined up either directly behind, or forward of the ship. Lead into your turn and excecute an over-bank until you roll out perfectly alligned with the longitudinal axis of the target which will establish you on the ships PIM (Planned Intended Movement). Deploy dive brakes and pickel bombs in close (as low as 1,500 ft). After the attack, clean-up the plane and press outbound as close to the water as you can get and head straight out away from the target till out of AAA range.

Low level Attack.
The 30 deg Pop-Up attack:

Track in towards your target hugging the surface as fast as you can go. For a ship attack, come in 30 deg off the ships course either from the front, or inbound to the ships rear.

At about 1,500 yards, pull a hard 30 deg level turn towards the fantail or bow of the ship to intercept the ships course line (an imaginary line projected both behind and forward of the ship).

Roll wings level then pull aggressively to a 30 deg climb and maintain that climb to 2,500 - 3,000 ft.

The target should be off your left or right wing-tip (depending on which way you excecuted the off-set maneuver.) AAA will lag behind you with an occational hit.

Now roll you plane pull towards the target untill invirted. You should re-aquire the intended target at the 12 o'clock high position in your canopy.

Pull your invirted bomber into the target until it is aquired in your bomb-site, then roll upright while maintaining the dive.

Deploy dive brakes and press on into the attack as if Dive Bombing.

Pickel in close and escape as depicted in the Dive bombing attack.

I've done alot of these in Hornets and S-3's. They're a hoot!

Using this in-game, I get out every time.

Good Luck!

S!

PlaneEater
11-08-2004, 07:18 PM
Any chance you could put a demo track together, Vidar?

I've seen this demonstrated years ago with an A-6 and an old tugboat, but it was awfully fast.

Fliger747
11-08-2004, 07:53 PM
Thanks for the info, have to give it a try!

CaptainFlunky
11-08-2004, 08:54 PM
Thanks,
I am having huge trouble with dive bombing. I'll put your advice into action.

http://onfinite.com/libraries/136746/5db.jpg

AJM-2K4
11-08-2004, 09:14 PM
a recording would be incredibly helpful. I understand all of what you are explaining, but there is no substitute for seeing it in action.

NavyFO
11-08-2004, 09:36 PM
Hey Vidar, are you still active duty? I'm an S-3 NFO finishing up the RAG. I thought what you were writing sounded awfully close to our bombing patterns!

BSS_Vidar
11-08-2004, 09:58 PM
NavyFo,

Retired Navy July 2002, two tours with the VS-22 Checkmates with a stint with the VS-27 Seawolves in between. 2,200 hrs, 526 arrested landings and only got wet once.

My boys also fly CV NATOPS. Fly with us sometime, you'll get a kick out of how well they know it! LOL Here's the guide I wrote for them to follow... It'll probabaly look real familuar to ya LOL ;-)

http://www.blacksheep214.com/cq/cq.htm

I would love to show a track, but am not too well versed on sharing tracks on a forum. I may need some help with that.

effte
11-09-2004, 01:53 AM
Vidar,
keep'em coming!

I've found that jinking a bit on egress rather than going straight out seems to get me hit less though. I've also heard others claim that the triple A is less deadly forward and aft of most ships, which makes sense.

Cheers,
Fred

VF-29_Sandman
11-09-2004, 07:24 AM
vidar, record a track and send it to me in zip format. if it isnt too big, maybe korolov would put it on wherever server he has that has the p-38 vs 4 bandits tracks. but do keep it rather short and to the point tho, they can get rather big.

Sakai9745
11-09-2004, 07:43 AM
Can't imagine the P-3s I flew in maneuvering that aggressively against a surface threat. Then again, I can't even imagine an Orion getting in that close to a surface threat to begin with. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Thanks for info on the pop-up attack. Gotta try that after work today.

Hendley
11-09-2004, 08:14 AM
Thanks for the tips info Vidar--gotta love dive bombing http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif I've gotten reasonably okay at hitting things with the Stuka, but the Val and SBD just aren't as stable for me. Plus not having a floor window in the Val makes lining up the target a little tougher (though being able to dogfight on the way home kinda makes up for it... http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif)

Just wondering:

I've read in a few places that in RL, IJN dive bombers went in at only about 70 degs, USN at 75-85(?), and only the Stuka was a consistent 90 degree-er. Is this true, and should we be doing the same in the sim?

Re: flak, I've also found that heavy jinking over the target helps reduce flak hits, though Hans Rudel in his book says that in RL that didn't make any difference at least against the higher altitude stuff (gunners aimed for an altitude and area of sky, not a single plane).

effte
11-09-2004, 09:15 AM
Ah, one more thing. I like to make the turn-in and the pop-up into one manouever, slightly reminiscent of a barrel roll in general feel. I feel very naked during the pop-up otherwise, approaching with constant azimuth. That's a bit more predictable than I like to be.

Opinions?

Cheers,
Fred

VF-29_Sandman
11-09-2004, 07:50 PM
bump