PDA

View Full Version : Original Il2 vs FB and PF Sound issues

Dan2
12-26-2005, 06:58 PM
Hi all,

I've recently "Upgraded" to FB and PF from the original, and am finding myself a wee bit dissapointed with regard to the sound in the game. In the original, when you had a near miss head on pass, you knew about it, as you could hear the other plane screaming past. You knew if things were above or below you. Similarly, on the "cinematic" type flyby cam, heavy guns would make a "whizzing past" type sound from the rear speakers.

All the above seems to be gone or extremely diminished and muted in the new game, which is dissapointing. Has anyone else experienced this, and if so is there a workaround to make this game sound as good as the original?

My sound card is am Audigy 2 ZS by the way.

Thanks!

Dan2
12-26-2005, 06:58 PM
Hi all,

I've recently "Upgraded" to FB and PF from the original, and am finding myself a wee bit dissapointed with regard to the sound in the game. In the original, when you had a near miss head on pass, you knew about it, as you could hear the other plane screaming past. You knew if things were above or below you. Similarly, on the "cinematic" type flyby cam, heavy guns would make a "whizzing past" type sound from the rear speakers.

All the above seems to be gone or extremely diminished and muted in the new game, which is dissapointing. Has anyone else experienced this, and if so is there a workaround to make this game sound as good as the original?

My sound card is am Audigy 2 ZS by the way.

Thanks!

FoolTrottel
12-27-2005, 11:49 AM
Hi,

Sounds were changed.
This from the readme of Fb 1.22 patch:

Sound

Corrected 3D sound engine by request of users, to prevent online sound cheating.

Have fun!

Dan2
12-27-2005, 12:20 PM
Thanks for the reply - it's very sad though, can't believe they would degrade it so. It's not just what I mentioned, the more I play, the more I notice the guns sound worse, and so on and so forth.

How on earth do you online sound cheat, anyway????

FoolTrottel
12-28-2005, 12:01 AM
By listening to the sounds of other planes near you, you can tell where they are, even if you can't see them. Thus you can manouver to anticipate.

That was found to be non-realistic... and as this game is trying to simulate the real thing ...

Have Fun!

(When using a good sound system, sounds are not that bad you know! I think they are great!)

Dan2
12-28-2005, 04:46 PM
Well I'm definately not wanting for a good sound system, with that Audigy 2 ZS driving some knock your fillings out Logitech Z-5500s.

I agree, FB/PF doesnt sound too bad - but it is worse than the original IL2. Unrealistic or not, it really heightens the feeling when you get something whizzing right by you at close range. Realistic or not is debatable anyway, I think - of course in reality you wouldn't be able to hear all that - but because you are tied to a computer screen, I think you need all the sensory input you can get. It's a shame they decided to nerf the sound entirely, rather than leave an option for the single player game. Ah well, I'll have to live with it I suppose!