PDA

View Full Version : PoP gameplay out of Open-Ended worlds in Assassin's Creed

kilpatrick1981
07-01-2006, 07:33 PM
Some of us playing Prince Persia games since Sands of Time are quite used to the linear structure where everything is set for us to wall run, wall-jump, and swing on. So I'm wondering how do you re-create that kind of gameplay in an open-ended environment like Assassin's Creed?

kilpatrick1981
07-01-2006, 07:33 PM
Some of us playing Prince Persia games since Sands of Time are quite used to the linear structure where everything is set for us to wall run, wall-jump, and swing on. So I'm wondering how do you re-create that kind of gameplay in an open-ended environment like Assassin's Creed?

zero24473
07-03-2006, 09:12 PM
Through what ive heard, it is supposed to be completly open, so this should be a ton of fun. I think you could do it in a linear fashon, but hey, who doesnt want to get creative with assassinations? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif

kilpatrick1981
07-04-2006, 04:07 AM
What I mean is, in an open ended game, how would you take advantage of the environment by performing all those cool acrobatic stuff?

More specifically, how do you take on what Jade Raymond describes as any surface extending more than two inches from the main walls is climbable in an open ended city?

Darth_terra
07-04-2006, 05:01 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by kilpatrick1981:
What I mean is, in an open ended game, how would you take advantage of the environment by performing all those cool acrobatic stuff?

More specifically, how do you take on what Jade Raymond describes as any surface extending more than two inches from the main walls is climbable in an open ended city? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

i'm finding it hard to understand what your trying to get at but i'll give it a try, if it's open ended it means you can do what you want when you to, ie you can run around the city and do all those moves your refering to and climb up anything that is extended two inches etc and when you want to do the missions you can do so, ie it's kind of like GTA in that respect although maybe not as extensive.

kilpatrick1981
07-05-2006, 10:11 PM
I understand hanging from the ledges, and swinging from pole to pole but what about other acrobatic moves?

Like wall-runing. How is that possible in Assassins creed? Or wall jumping, where jump from wall to wall to get to thae top?

Lhorkan
07-06-2006, 12:53 AM
There are lots of houses in cities, you know. Houses with walls. Walls with bricks extending 2 inches. Houses with walls close enough to eachother to jump in between them. Wall-run would work the same way; you're hanging somewhere on a wall, but to get higher you need to be five meters more to the right, so you wall-run in that direction... if wall-running is still in.

Sandwarrior1990
07-06-2006, 01:59 AM
If wall-running is still in they're gonna have to make the distance he runs pretty short to keep it realistic http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif

kilpatrick1981
07-06-2006, 02:37 AM
So, there would be special designated areas in an open-ended city for Altair to wall run from one platfrom to platform?

I'm guessing there designated areas that hold some secrets that can only be access by having Altair perform acrobatics onto them. Like, a sharp eye should see two secret walls facing each other which may let Altair do some wall jumps on them.

See, I'm so used to the scripted puzzles in PoP, that I can't seem to get around how would that be possible in Assassin's Creed.

Vey03
07-06-2006, 05:05 AM
Umm, i think you're a little confused.
AC has nothing to do with POP. It's not a continuation of it, nor is it related to it in any way, shape or form.
So i don't understand why you're so hung up on wall running and wall jumping. It's not POP. It's a totally different game.

Lizard000
07-06-2006, 08:40 PM
i don't thing that there are designated areas where you can jump between walls and such... with the new engine the level designers won't hae too worry so much about it... they just create the city and let the engine do the rest

Lhorkan
07-07-2006, 01:24 AM
Of course they have to design the city properly, otherwise you wouldn't be able to get anywhere.

DarkCrawler90
07-07-2006, 09:18 AM
I've always thought of it as similar to Spider-Man 2 the game. You pretty much could swing anywhere, any way you like in NY City. So, imagine this:

You have just murdered your target. However, in addition of the guards chasing you, the civilians have turned on you too and chase you. You could just run at the streets, hoping that you can end the chase like this. I would assume there is stuff like throwing something in front of your chasers to slow them down, taking the incredible engine of PS3 and the realism the creators strive for in account. But, as you look above you, you see a box on the street, and you notice that the tiles that have been used in making of the wall stick from it.

So, as your agility absolutely trumps your chasers agility, you decide to climb to the roof, using the blocks. However, there are guards positioned on the roofs too. So, you start running, jumping from rooftop to rooftop. In middle of another rooftop, you see that there is a open window in one of the houses, and pole above the window. Jumping on the pole, you swing yourself inside the window.

You are now inside the house. The guards, who came behind you did not see where you went. You hide into closet before any of the residents of the house see you, and wait until the searches have lessened to leave it.

That's what I think that open ended gameplay means...you can choose different methods in anything.

YukiSummer
07-08-2006, 01:01 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Sandwarrior1990:
If wall-running is still in they're gonna have to make the distance he runs pretty short to keep it realistic http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Tsk, tsk. Creative director Patrice Disilets said unto Game Informer, regarding the Assassin's motto as inspiration, that: "It's very close to Taoism or Buddhism - everything is an illusion, and you can do whatever you want. We approached it more like they were ninjas from the Middle East". Unlimited potential, dear friend. Don't be surprised if he can wallrun with the best. I hope so.

FableB
07-08-2006, 05:14 PM
I think running on the wall should not exceed two steps *on the wall* and then jumping backward or climbing or whatever....

SimonS3z
07-18-2006, 01:16 AM
even i can make 3 steps on the wall and i ain't no well trained assasin in a video game. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

SpyderNynja
07-18-2006, 02:53 PM
LE PARKOUR! LE PARKOUR!

sorry, i just had to say that http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

I love parkour!

jayshep
07-18-2006, 06:11 PM
too much to read but when I watched a video of an interview with the producer of the game (the girl is absolutely beautiful not to mention) but she talked about how the strcutre is built.. basically almost everything is interactive.. anything that sticks out more than 2 inches is usable.