PDA

View Full Version : Unarmed combat, what am I doing wrong?



DJBare
07-06-2010, 04:09 PM
I've learned I'm much better at unarmed combat, much preferring to snatch the enemies weapons away from them and then kill, now this works well when the enemy does a fast swing, but the slow ones, that take time to raise their weapon for a hard attack, these seems to get me everytime, I see them raise the weapon, they are open and vunrable at this point, but when I hit the attack button, nothing!, Ezio does a ******ed little move that my little sister could defeat, so what am I doing wrong?, in my opinion in reality if someone opens themselves up by a long draw back of the weapon then I should be able to get a blade between their ribs in the blink of an eye!

DJBare
07-06-2010, 04:09 PM
I've learned I'm much better at unarmed combat, much preferring to snatch the enemies weapons away from them and then kill, now this works well when the enemy does a fast swing, but the slow ones, that take time to raise their weapon for a hard attack, these seems to get me everytime, I see them raise the weapon, they are open and vunrable at this point, but when I hit the attack button, nothing!, Ezio does a ******ed little move that my little sister could defeat, so what am I doing wrong?, in my opinion in reality if someone opens themselves up by a long draw back of the weapon then I should be able to get a blade between their ribs in the blink of an eye!

Archabacteria
07-06-2010, 08:00 PM
If they have a heavy or long weapon, they will always get through with a power attack. Not much you can do about that.

As for the others.. Not sure. Haven't had a 'normal' enemy do that before.

Jedted
07-06-2010, 08:39 PM
Yeah, when an enemy like a Brute or Seeker does a heavy attack the best you can do is just dodge out of the way.

Xanatos2007
07-07-2010, 02:11 AM
Or toss a smoke bomb & leg it.

DJBare
07-07-2010, 03:58 AM
So basically what you are all saying is the devs cripple the player character when it comes to an attack from slow movers?

I remember some of my history about armor, when the armored enemy raised a sword or axe there is a weak spot under the armpit, I dunno, it just seems wrong that a swift moving assassine is unable to exploit this weakness.

El_Sjietah
07-07-2010, 04:21 AM
You need to time your counterattack differently for slower attacks. You have to hit it just before the attack lands and not when it's winding up. You can still punch them in the gut when they're charging up though.

DJBare
07-07-2010, 04:27 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by El_Sjietah:
You need to time your counterattack differently for slower attacks. You have to hit it just before the attack lands and not when it's winding up. You can still punch them in the gut when they're charging up though. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Yeah I kinda figured that out, but who in there right mind is going to wait for the attack to start when the weakness is already exposed?

El_Sjietah
07-07-2010, 04:29 AM
Counterattacks are disarms when you're unarmed. Kind of tricky to do when their weapon is way out of reach http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

lilbacchant
07-07-2010, 04:58 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by El_Sjietah:
Counterattacks are disarms when you're unarmed. Kind of tricky to do when their weapon is way out of reach http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

True enough. But as DJ implied, it'd be waaaay cool if in those particular circumstances you could counter the power-move w/ a hidden blade to the armpits. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

Razrback16
07-08-2010, 05:23 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DJBare:
So basically what you are all saying is the devs cripple the player character when it comes to an attack from slow movers?

I remember some of my history about armor, when the armored enemy raised a sword or axe there is a weak spot under the armpit, I dunno, it just seems wrong that a swift moving assassine is unable to exploit this weakness. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's just not built into the game. When you're unarmed, the counter-attack is a disarm. And in order to execute properly, you need to wait until he's JUST ABOUT TO HIT YOU. Same if you want to fight w/ the hidden blades and do a counter kill. Right before the enemy whacks you is when you hit the button. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif And just as a note, as someone else said, when the brutes do a massive swing, you ain't gonna counter that. Ever. Just dodge. When I'm in a fight with brutes involved, I always fight with throwing knives -- I'll slowly pick apart the posse and wait for the brute to attack. If he attacks with a regular attack, I'll disarm his a$$ and use his big weapon to kill him and all his friends, and if he does a massive swing, I'll dodge and keep throwing knives. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Six_Gun
07-08-2010, 11:40 AM
You have to time it as they're just initiating a strike. I find there's a greater percentage of success with it if you wear them down with some offensive strikes first.

zarens
07-08-2010, 02:31 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Archabacteria:
If they have a heavy or long weapon, they will always get through with a power attack. Not much you can do about that.

As for the others.. Not sure. Haven't had a 'normal' enemy do that before. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

if you havent had normal enemies do hard swings, then you definatly not played much of the game, they do it both in AC1 and AC2...alot acually.

BTW to the OP, when they do long swings, just dont hit attack butten, your suposed to dodge them http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif