PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone operate radar warning tool?

U734
03-07-2006, 03:55 PM
I mean the Metox, Borkum, Naxos and Tunis radar detectors, which should come in force starting from 1942;
If anyone has it, how does it warn you about aircraft radars?

U734
03-07-2006, 03:55 PM
I mean the Metox, Borkum, Naxos and Tunis radar detectors, which should come in force starting from 1942;
If anyone has it, how does it warn you about aircraft radars?

WilhelmSchulz.
03-07-2006, 04:41 PM
Its radar. It will dedect it. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif

VikingGrandad
03-07-2006, 06:03 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by WilhelmSchulz.:
Its radar. It will dedect it. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not a very helpful answer!

@ WilhelmSchulz:
The question is "How does it warn you?", not "What does it do?". Read the question before assuming someone is being stupid, or you just end up making yourself look stupid!

@ U734:
The answer is that you get a message from your radio operator saying something like 'Detecting Radar Signals'.

If you check your map, you can see the direction and range of the detected target, shown as a directional line (or several lines if there is more than one detected target)

The lines are shown on the map in the same way as hydrophone contacts are when submerged.

Surface vessels with radar (e.g. destroyers, corvettes etc) are shown as red lines, aircraft with radar are shown as black lines.

Foehammer-1
03-07-2006, 07:16 PM
And I'm not sure if the above works for "no map update". It should though, since the guy never calls out a bearing

WilhelmSchulz.
03-07-2006, 08:23 PM
I thought he was saying dose it warn aginst aircraft radar. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/disagree.gif

lecek
03-07-2006, 09:03 PM
It does work against air radar.

You just can't see the lines on the map if you have map updates turned off.

AFIK the actual radar warnings were not directional anyway. Anyone know for sure? It doesn't look like they turn.

vanjast
03-08-2006, 03:04 AM
Yup, it warns you of all radar signals that the device can detect. BUT if the 'ememy' are using different wavelength radar, you'll get a nasty surprise.

I'm using the 'Radar Mod' which gives you a realistic 1 minutes warning (approx) of aircraft, so dive asap.

With ships you get over the horizon warning distance, and you can barely hear the ship on hydrophones. This is usefull for keeping track/shadowing a convoy. With the ship radar systems monitor you radar operators warnings. If the warnings are every 5 minutes or so, you can assume you have not being spotted, but if the warnings start coming in at about 2 minute intervals or less, hit the deep.
http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

U734
03-08-2006, 05:06 AM
thx for replies

yes vanjast I know about wavelengths - just wrote an article on Georgian forum about German and British constructors battle in radiolocation sphere (detectors vs radars to say it simply) http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

wessenhammer
03-08-2006, 09:21 AM
Yep if you dive right away you get away just fine, if not you probably have a 25% chance of getting damage from charges

U734
03-09-2006, 07:25 AM
Thx

mwestman
03-09-2006, 08:57 PM
The Radar detector is passive, right? I thought I read somewhere that the Brit's can pick it up, but this doesn't sound right.

dbuff
03-10-2006, 07:09 AM
yes i am confused too - i thought would be safe to use. so -the radar detector can be detected?

U734
03-10-2006, 07:49 AM
Fro historical point of view, yes - detector caught the radar signals and the radar caught detector's. British installed an "atenuator" on their radars so that the pilot could reduce radar signal and give Uboat crew false image that the plane wasn't approaching.
(uboat.net)

DBond99
03-10-2006, 11:34 AM
In reality, the Allies could not home on Metox emmissions. The Germans however believed they could.

In the game the Mextox warns you by text "Radar signals detectd sir".

vietvet1950
03-11-2006, 08:36 PM
OK, I'm confused now. Radar is a radio beam at a specific frequency. To my mind, a radar detector would be a receiver that would "detect" any signal within it's set frequency range. Sounds completely passive to me, no different from the radio in your car, what would the Allies be tracking?
I've read somewhere that it was possible to "see" someone elses radar on your own because the electronic impulses would show on your scope, butthat's an active system. Any chance we are getting the two confused?

stringz54
03-11-2006, 10:13 PM
@vietvet1950

Yes a radar detector would be 'passive' or a receiver as you ask, and it can only detect those freqs it was designed to detect for. The Allies were always one step ahead of the Germans as to what freqs were being devised and used for. The active part of a radar would be the transmitter that 'pulses' a signal for a determined range and the radar repeater or scope,as would be on a ship/plane/land shows what the transmitter is hitting with the signal. The game, just as in the war' uses the receiver or passive aspect of a radar system.
I fixed radar during my stint aboard a destroyer