PDA

View Full Version : Working DVD drives?

simplygeeky
11-16-2004, 10:53 AM
I'm thinking about buying Myst IV, but I want to make sure it's going to work before I invest money in a non-refundable game. My computer does not currently have a DVD drive. I've read plenty of posts about specific DVD drives NOT working, but can anyone tell me some of the DVD drive models that DO work?

maztec
11-16-2004, 11:08 AM
The ones that are newer and aren't the ones that don't work?

... If you're in the market for a DVD-R, most any DVD-R drive that supports burning Dual Layer discs works.

... If you're in the market for a DVD drive, then most newer DVD drives work. If you want to double check, buy it at a store, ask, make sure it supports reading dual layer data discs.

... Maz

OneofDex
11-16-2004, 09:48 PM
What does the packaging state as the "Minimum PC requirements" ?????

simplygeeky
11-17-2004, 09:44 AM
The packaging (according to amazon.com) states that I need "DVD: 4x DVD or faster". Fine. I understand that.

I was hoping someone could give me a specific brand and model number of a DVD drive they have used that has worked. Like I said, I've read about a lot of drives that cause problems installing the game in these forums. Before I go out and spend my hard earned money on a DVD drives, I was hoping to get a few suggestions of drives will not cause install problems.

OneofDex
11-17-2004, 10:12 AM
Check out the "Installation Issues: Disc #1: Can't read? Install fails part way? In here!" forum and then you might like to check the "Do you want to Scream and Yell at someone? Please do it here..." forum.

maztec
11-17-2004, 11:44 AM
Dex, bug off. You're being useless and trying to alienate people intentionally. Consider this yet *sigh* another warning.

--------------------

simply: I have a Pioneer DVR-108 and it works fine. It's a DVD burner, but it works.

Maz

OneofDex
11-17-2004, 07:58 PM
Dear Maztec, I have deduced from Simplygeeky's response that the "Minimum PC requirements" on the packaging at amazon.com are the same as the packaging in Australia and that the information he seeks is in the two forums I have previously stated.

maztec
11-17-2004, 11:53 PM
OneofDex, not all 4x DVD drives (particularly LG drives or ones made over 2 years ago) can read it.

simplygeeky, you should be fine with most newer Pioneer or Plextor DVD drives. I'm sure NEC/Sony/HP/etc would be fine also. But definitely stay away from LG/Lightwave/etc drives.. All else fails, if it doesn't work, return the drive and say "IT DOESN'T WORK WITH MY GAME!" :P

OneofDex, and he obviously already read that thread and has a very specific question. I gave him what is easily at my disposal.

Whereas you, you just keep babbling nonsense, complaining about problems, blaming everyone else, yet never spewing any information about what your own problem is other than mental instability. *grumble*

Maz

nielsvaes
11-18-2004, 01:55 PM
I have a Hitachi DVD-ROM GD 2500 4 speed. I installed the full game, no problems with installing or running the game.

simplygeeky
11-18-2004, 08:10 PM
Thanks maztec and nielsvaes - that was the info I was looking for. That should help me at least narrow down which DVD drive to get http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Oh, and for the record, I'm a she, not a he.

maztec
11-19-2004, 12:30 AM
Well, my apologies then Ma'am http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Maz

nielsvaes
11-19-2004, 07:51 AM
Eek, a girl that likes to play Myst. Marry me! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif