PDA

View Full Version : A serious request for Oleg

Bull_dog_
08-13-2004, 10:39 PM
In many tests, I have come to the conclusion that turning circles and roll rates are kinda fast in this game...say maybe about 20% in most cases.

It has occurred to me that maybe some kind of bug exists or miscalculation that causes the "cyber time" to be too fast...it is so consistant that I'm thinking the game might be a little overclocked...planes that should complete a turning circle in 20 seconds do so in about 16 seconds...planes that should roll 100 degrees/second roll about 120 degrees per second.

My request...add a time compression button that allows for say 80% time compression...this may give the game a different feel for those of us who think the game is a little snappy and help frame rates too!

I'd be curious to hear from more of the real pilots out there...I've been thinking about this alot because I keep hearing feedback from real pilots that says the game is too twitchy and controls too positive/fast compared to real life and then it dawned on me that the turning circle times are off a similar amount to what I think the roll rates should be.

A thought

Bull_dog_
08-13-2004, 10:39 PM
In many tests, I have come to the conclusion that turning circles and roll rates are kinda fast in this game...say maybe about 20% in most cases.

It has occurred to me that maybe some kind of bug exists or miscalculation that causes the "cyber time" to be too fast...it is so consistant that I'm thinking the game might be a little overclocked...planes that should complete a turning circle in 20 seconds do so in about 16 seconds...planes that should roll 100 degrees/second roll about 120 degrees per second.

My request...add a time compression button that allows for say 80% time compression...this may give the game a different feel for those of us who think the game is a little snappy and help frame rates too!

I'd be curious to hear from more of the real pilots out there...I've been thinking about this alot because I keep hearing feedback from real pilots that says the game is too twitchy and controls too positive/fast compared to real life and then it dawned on me that the turning circle times are off a similar amount to what I think the roll rates should be.

A thought

LuckyBoy1
08-13-2004, 11:07 PM
The game is not supposed to be based on "feel" but on reality. That is where the psycho split comes in because you are trying to mimmick something "real" on a PC. The way they handle this is by saying, this or that plane was rated or known as having a turn or climb or whatever rate as... X value and they build a mathmatical curve to represent it in this game. So if you have a specific curve you think is wrong for a specific plane, come with the data to support your statement and you'd be surprised, they just might do something about it.

Now with an actual index & more fiber! It is newer & and even more improved! It's Luckyboy's Guide For Complete Users!...

http://www.pingu666.modded.me.uk/luckyboy/LuckyboysGuide2.htm

Luckyboy = Senior hydraulic landing gear designer for the P-11 & Contributing Editor to Complete Users magazine.

Bull_dog_
08-14-2004, 07:18 PM
Do a turn test on your own or a roll rate test...or better yet fly a plane and you will understand...maybe.

This is a simulation and therefore the "feel" of the game is very important....there is something quantitative behind that feel, codes of programming to be exact. The trick is to simulate flying and it is difficult to be sure. There are many characteristics in this game, that when measured and tested, are faster than in real life.

The thread isn't getting much notice so I may be alone in this sentiment. So be it.

VW-IceFire
08-14-2004, 07:55 PM
Have you tested after the 2.04 patch? The roll rates...or rather the snap roll rates...are much slower than before. Online play is smoother because of it I think...but lots of roll rates seem to have been lowered since initial release.

Taken a P-39 out recently? Its much slower.
The P-47 now achieves its best rate at 250mph and looses its roll power above and below that speed which is essentially bang on from what I've read. So its gotten better.

http://home.cogeco.ca/~cczerneda/sigs/tmv-sig1.jpg
RCAF 412 Falcon Squadron - "Swift to Avenge"