PDA

View Full Version : OT - Osprey book mistakes and typos

bhunter2112
10-12-2007, 12:32 PM
I am sick of it. What is the deal with this company? I love to books and have about 20 of their aircraft of the aces and such but the mistakes and typos piss me off. I just received their Campaign -Stalingrad- page 6 - 1944 is written where 1941 should be. Yeah a small mistake but WTH.

Yes I am venting and of course I sent Osprey an e-mail. I offered to proof read free on charge beacause the people who do it now should be shot. My wife thinks I'm crazy but it is not the first mistake that I have found.

bhunter2112
10-12-2007, 12:32 PM
I am sick of it. What is the deal with this company? I love to books and have about 20 of their aircraft of the aces and such but the mistakes and typos piss me off. I just received their Campaign -Stalingrad- page 6 - 1944 is written where 1941 should be. Yeah a small mistake but WTH.

Yes I am venting and of course I sent Osprey an e-mail. I offered to proof read free on charge beacause the people who do it now should be shot. My wife thinks I'm crazy but it is not the first mistake that I have found.

ploughman
10-12-2007, 12:40 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Yes I am venting and of course I sent Osprey an e-mail. I offered to proof read free on charge beacause the people who do it now should be shot </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Always admired a proportional response in these matters. Once you've conquered Europe and Asia, I recommend consolidating your successes by moving south to the Cape. What you think?

Waldo.Pepper
10-12-2007, 12:43 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">My wife thinks I'm crazy </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think your wife maybe almost right. Yes the Osprey books are frustrating sometimes, but there is no such thing as a perfect book (or perfect anything for that matter).

I realized of course, beforehand that writing a book is a incredibly challenging. But I am humbled and learning just how hard it really is to get tens or thousands of details correct. Finding just the right word can take hours. Personally I am finding out that writing a book is monumentally harder than I imagined.

ploughman
10-12-2007, 12:56 PM
What's your tome about there Waldo?

DKoor
10-12-2007, 01:02 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Waldo.Pepper:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">My wife thinks I'm crazy </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think your wife maybe almost right. Yes the Osprey books are frustrating sometimes, but there is no such thing as a perfect book (or perfect anything for that matter).

I realized of course, beforehand that writing a book is a incredibly challenging. But I am humbled and learning just how hard it really is to get tens or thousands of details correct. Finding just the right word can take hours. Personally I am finding out that writing a book is monumentally harder than I imagined. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I'm signing that................just.

bhunter2112 don't worry too much, all our wifes, girlfriends think that we are crazy without exception.

That is not limited to the population of males who like history and find out the WW2 aircombat to be da shinizzle.

It's more like......global thing.

VF-17_Jolly
10-12-2007, 01:03 PM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/5/5a/TippexWithFoamApplicator.png

LEBillfish
10-12-2007, 01:22 PM
This is one of the many reasons I have always stated to take every story, document, book, etc. with a grain of salt....

First off, after tales get retold, parts forgotten or missed, new added where the new teller feels something is missing, and then finally rewording to make their own as they add their own opinion and twist to it to get their aspect of interest across....It's off some.....Trouble is, most WWII books are simply bits of others, taken from others, on and on till finally some become rediculously incorrect.

Always look at the bibliography, you'll note the varied books and documents the auther used. Then go check that one, and those it lists, and so on...........Trouble is the first used may be incorrect, in fact, that is often the case as few ever try and rewrite perfection. SO they find errors and set out to do better, realizing the tremendous research so still using a bit of, while they add in their corrections and opinions.

SO what do we do?

Well we could do all the "original research" yet much of that is even incorrect as those doing them did not fully understand what they were having to address (Military reports a good example).....So the best course is to simply gather as much info as you can, eliminate the clearly wrong to both extremes, find your own surprises missed by authors....and determine what is truly accurate and known.

Yet never..........ever........even when talking about an "autobiography" take any single source at face value.

The following a "partial" list of what I have compiled just to learn about Ki-61's and the 78th Hikousentai as an example......and why i'm very slowly teaching myself to read Japanese...

J.I.Long's Airtell Research Report #99-3 Ki-61/100 Serial Numbers, Dates of Assembly & Characteristics
J.I.Long's Airtell Field Notes Japanese Army Fighter "Tony"
J.I.Long's Airtell Research Report #86-1 Estimated Assembly Date For A WWII Japanese Aircraft/A Relic of the Air War over New Guinea/Type 3 Fighter Tony # 640
J.I.Long's A PacFront Extra, Cockpit Layout- Type 3 Fighter Model 1
J.I.Long's Airtell Letter Report Correspondence w/ R.E.Cowley (Japanese inline engine comparisons)
J.I.Long's Airtell Letter Report Correspondence w/K.Weeks (Type 3 Fighter Reference Drawings)

1939-45 Fighters & Bombers of the Japanese Air Force Part 1, Fraus...Polish
1939-45 Fighters & Bombers of the Japanese Air Force Part 2, Fraus....Polish
Aero Detail #24, Nakajima Ki-84 Frank "Hayate"
Aero Detail #29, Nakajima Ki-43 Oscar "Hayabusa"
Aeroplane November 2005, Ki-100 Article
Aircraft Profile #118, The Kawasaki Ki-61 Hien, Rene J. Francillon
Avions #119, Ki-44 Shoki...French
Avions #122, Tateo Kato...French
Bf-109-B-E Selected Views, Author Unknown
Design Details of the Mitsubishi Kensei Engine, W.G.Owens
Emblems of the Rising Sun (IJAAF Markings), Peter Scott
F.A.O.W. # 16 Army Type 2 Fighter "Shoki" Ki-44...Japanese
F.A.O.W. # 17 Army Type 3 Fighter "Hien" Ki-61...Japanese
F.A.O.W. # 19 Army Type 4 Fighter "Hayate" Ki-84...Japanese
F.A.O.W. # 21 Army Type 2 Fighter "Toryu" Ki-45...Japanese
F.A.O.W. # 23 Army Type 5 fighter Kawasaki Ki-100...Japanese
F.A.O.W. # 27 Type 96 Carrier Fighter A5M...Japanese
F.A.O.W. # 29 Type 97 Army Type 97 Fighter Ki-27... Japanese
F.A.O.W. # 32 Type 97 Carrier Torpedo Bomber, B5n, Kate...Japanese
F.A.O.W. # 33 Type 99 Carrier Dive Bomber, D3A, Val...Japanese
F.A.O.W. # 38 Type 100 Command Recon. Plane, Ki-46.....Japanese
F.A.O.W. # 53 Kyofu, Shinden, Shidenkai...Japanese
F.A.O.W. # 59 G4M Mitsubishi Betty Type 1 Attack Bomber....Japanese
F.A.O.W. # 61 Navy Interceptor J2M "Raiden"...Japanese
F.A.O.W. # 65 Type 1 Fighter, Hayabusa...Japanese
F.A.O.W. # 69 Navy Carrier Dive Bomber Suisei D4Y......Japanese
"F" Gunnery Play, Variants, Crews & Details (Numerous IJA-IJN plane stats).....
He-100 Select Views, author unknown
JAAF Camoflauge & Markings WWII, D.W. Thorpe
Japanese Aircraft Equipment 1940-1945, Robert C. Mikesh, Schiffer Publishing
Japanese Bomber Performance Charts, Author unknown
Japanese Military Aircraft Illustrated, Unknown (Japanese),...Japanese
Kawasaki Ki-61Hein in Japanese Army Air Force Service, R.M.Bueschell
Koku Fan, 1974-3
Maru Mechanic #43 J2M & N1K....Japanese
Maru Mechanic #46, P1Y & G4M.....Japanese
Mechanism of Military Aircraft #2, Ki-61 & Ki-48...Japanese
Mechanism of Military Aircraft #6, Ki-45 & Ki-51...Japanese
Mechanism of Military Aircraft #?, E13A1, Jake...Japanese "Partial"
Mechanism of Military Aircraft #?, D3A1...Japanese "Partial"
ModelArt 272, Camouflage & Markings of IJN Fighters .......Japanese
ModelArt 493, Ki-84 Hayate......Japanese
ModelArt 533, Camouflage & Markings of the IJA Bombers ....Japanese
Modelling Manual #?. Kawasaki Ki-61 Type 3 Fighter Hein......Japanese
Monografie Lotnicze #5 Hien...Polish
Monografie Lotnicze #48 Ki-43...Polish
Monografie Lotnicze #78, North American B-25 Mitchell, K. Janowicz...Polish
Mushroom Model #6103 Yellow Series, Mitsubishi A6m Zero, Artur Juszcak
Mushroom Model #6107 Yellow Series, Mitsubishi A5M Claude, T. Januszewski
Nakajima Ki-43 Hayabusa in Japanese Army Air Force/RTAF/CAF/IPSF Service, R.M.Bueschell
Profile Publications #160, The Mitsubishi, G3M "Nell"
Romance of Engines, Chapters 36-38 (DB-601 vs. Ha-40)..... Takashi Suzuki
Squadron Signal #34, B-25 Mitchell in Action
Squadron Signal #97, TBD Devastator in Action
Squadron Signal #122, SB2U Vindicator in Action
Squadron Signal #6059, Golden Wings 1941-1945 (USN-USMC Aircraft of WWII), J. Sullivan & D.Lucabaugh
Squadron Signal #6079, Thunderbolt, the Republic P47 Thunderbolt in the Pacific Theater, E.R.McDowell
T.A.I.U. Datasheets # 154A-1 thru 4 & 154A-1 thru 4, Ki-61-I & II
Zentrale fur wissenschaftliches Berichtswesen uber Luftfahrtforschung, Forschungsbericht FB505, 151/20 Mauser Cannon......German

3/202 Kokutai, Waldemar Pajdosz & Andre Zbiegniewski's/Kagero
68th Sentai, K. Janowicz's/Kagero
7 December 1941, The Air Force Story, L.R.Arakaki & J.R.Kuborn
A War of their Own, Bombers Over the Southwest Pacific, Capt. M.K.Rodman
Aces of the Rising Sun, H. Sakaida
Air Force (US) Combat Units of WWII, Department of the Air Force, Maurer
Air Power & Warfare, United States Air Force Academy, Col. A.F.Hurley & Maj. R.C. Ehrhart
Air-to-Air Claims and Credits for Navy and Marine Corps Patrol Type Aircraft During World War II (Appendix 4), Mr. James C. Sawruk
Airlift & Airborne Operations in WWII, R.E.Bilstein
Airpower and Maneuver Warfare, M. van Creveld
Airpower in Three Wars, Gen. W.W.Momyer
Airpower Myths and Facts, Col.P.S.Meilinger
Aerial Interdiction, Air Power and the Land Battle in Three American Wars, E. Mark
Aeronotes 3, Deployments & OOBs
Aeronotes 4, New Guinea Area Operations
Airpower Employment of the 5th Air Force in the WWII SouthWest Pacific Theatre, Major James A. Barr
Archie to Sam, a Short Operational History of Ground Based Air Defense, K.P.Werrell
American Airpower Comes of Age Vol. 1, General Henry H. "Hap" Arnold's World War II Diaries, Maj.Gen. J.W.Huston
American Airpower Comes of Age Vol. 2, General Henry H. "Hap" Arnold's World War II Diaries, Maj.Gen. J.W.Huston
Capt. Nelson Flack: The rediscovery of a Black Sheep (Article), Master Sgt. Greg Henneman
Case Studies in the Achievement of Air Superiority, B.F.Cooling
Case Studies in the Development of Close Air Support, B.F.Cooling
Case Studies in Strategic Bombardment, R.C.Hall
China-Burma-India, AirForce Magazine, March, 2005 (Article)
Combat Chronology 1941-1945 (U.S. Army Air Forces in WWII), K.C.Carter & R.Mueller
Combat Sorties Flown by Fighters in Theatres vs. Japan, by Theatre & by Sortie, Jan.1943-Aug.1945 table
Combat Squadrons of the Air Force in WWII, Department of the Air Force, Maurer
Combat Tactics in the SouthWest Pacific, Capt. T.M. McGuire Jr.
Completing the Circle Around Rabaul, The Siezure of the Admiralties, Feb.- May 1944, David Osborn Scott
Enemy Aircraft Destroyed in European Theatre of Operations by Type of AAF Airplane, Aug.1942-May1945
Fifth Air Force Light & Medium Bomber Operations During 1942 & 1943: Building Doctrine & Forces That Triumphed In the Battle of the Bismark Sea & the Wewak Raid, Maj. T.D.Gann
General Kenny Reports, A Personal History of the Pacific War, G.C.Kenny
Hitting Home, The Air Offensive Against Japan, Daniel L. Haulman
How SouthWest Pacific Area Operations Influenced the Royal Austrailian Air Force, Major Jonathan B. Wills
I'm in the Army Now (New Guinea info), Roy S. Weaver Jr.
Imperial Japanese Army Air Units Battlefield Photograph Collection, Dainippon Kaiga Publ.
Introduction to the United States Air Force, Capt. B. Chance Saltzman & T.R. Searle
Japanese Air Operations in New Guinea, Shindo Hiriyuki
Japanese Army Air Force Fighter Units and Their Aces 1931 1945, Hata, Izawa, Shores
Kenneth N. Walker, Airpowers Untempered Crusader, M. Byrd
Kogun, The Japanese Army in the Pacific War, Saburo Hayashi & Alvin D Coox
MacArthur's Eagles: The U. S. Air War over New Guinea, 1943-1944, Lex McAulay
Mission Type Orders in Joint Air Operations (Command and control, New Guinea highlighted), Maj. Michael E. Fischer
Naval Aviation in the Pacific, United States Navy
Osprey Aviation Elite #5, B29 Hunters of the JAAF, K.Takaki & H.Sakaida
Osprey Aircraft of the Aces #13, Japanese Army Air Force Aces 1937-1945, H. Sakaida
Osprey Aircraft of the Aces #22, Imperial Japanese Navy Aces 1937-1945, H. Sakaida
Performance of B25 Aircraft of 38th Bomb Group During 18 Months of Combat in New Guinea, W.J. English
Piercing the Fog, Intelligence and Army Air Forces Operations in World War II, J.F.Kreis
Preemptive Defense, Allied Air Power Versus Hitler's V-Weapons, 19431945, Adam L. Gruen
Principles of War, Gen. Carl von Clausewitz
Strategic Air Warfare, An Interview with Generals C.E.LeMay, L.W.Johnson, D.A.Burchinal, & J.J. Catton, R.H.Kohn and J.P.Harahan
Strategy for Defeat, The Luftwaffe, 1933-1945, W.MURRAY
The Army Air Forces In World War II, Vol. 1, Plans and Early Operations, January 1939 to August 1942
The Army Air Forces In World War II, Vol. 2, Europe-Torch to Pointblank, August 1942 to December 1943
The Army Air Forces In World War II, Vol. 3, Europe-Argument to VE Day, January 1944 to May 1945
The Army Air Forces In World War II, Vol. 4, The Pacific-Guadalcanal to Saipan, August 1942 to July 1944
The Army Air Forces In World War II, Vol. 5, The Pacific-Matterhorn to Nagasaki, June 1944 to August 1945
The Army Air Forces In World War II, Vol. 6, Men & Planes
The Army Air Forces In World War II, Vol. 7, Services Around the World
The Enlisted Experience, Conversations with Chief Master Sergeants of the Air Force, J.R.Bednarek
The Quest, Haywood Hansell and American Strategic Bombing in World War II, C.Griffith
The Strategic Air War Against Germany & Japan, a Memoir, Maj.Gen. H.S.Hansell Jr.
The United States Strategic Bombing Surveys (European & Pacific War),
They Fought With What They Had, W.D.Edmonds
U.S.A.F. Historical Study #113, The 5th Air Force in the Huon Peninsula Campaign, January to October 1943
U.S.A.F. Historical Study #116, The 5th Air Force in the Huon Peninsula Campaign, Oct. 1943 to Feb. 1944
United States Air Force and its Antecedents Published and Printed Unit Histories, a Bibliography, J.T.Controvich
U.S. Naval Aviation in the Pacific, The Office of the Chief of Naval Operations, United States Navy
United States Naval Aviation 1910-1995, Part 5 WWII
Warpath Across the Pacific, 345th Bomb Group, "Air Apaches", L.J.Hickey
Weapon of Denial, Air Power & the Battle for New Guinea, Gary Null
With Courage, the U.S. Army Air Forces in WWII, Nalty, Shiner, Watson

Trying to Obtain:
L.J.Hickey, Taylor, Tagaya, Revenge of the Red Raiders, 22nd Bomb Group, "Red Raiders"
L.J.Hickey, Taylor, Tagaya, Kens Men Against the Empire, 43rd Bomb Group, "Kens Men"
L.J.Hickey, Claringbould, Rampage of the Roarin 20's, 312th Bomb Group, "Roarin 20's"
L.J.Hickey, Tagaya, Saga of the Sun Setters, 38th Bomb Group, "Sun Setters"
Model Art 263 & 428, Ki-61 & Ki-61/Ki-100
Maru Mechanic 2 & 37 Ki-61 & Ki-61/Ki-100
F.A.O.W. "Blue Series" #98
Watanabe Yohji's, Hien: the Struggle of the Type 3 Fighter
Jiro Kimata's Rikugun Koku Senshi
Nihon Kokuki Soshyu, Vol. 4 Kawasaki
Nihon Kokuki Soshyu, Vol. 5 Nakajima
Gakken Series, No.???? - Ki-61
Gakken Series, No.7 - RABAUL AIR WAR
Gakken Series, No.28 - IJN/IJA/American Bases
Gakken Series, No.52 - Nakajima Type 1 Fighter, Hayabusa
Airview #???? Ki-61
MILITARY AIRCRAFT #16, Imperial Japanese Army Aircraft of the Pacific War

bhunter2112
10-12-2007, 01:39 PM
Ok... no love here. Can I at least get a hug? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-sad.gif These are not word choices or writting style. Even I (no ww2 expert) can see the problem with the text. this is a proof reading issue. Germans 15KM from Moscow on 5 december 1944. WTH... what I am saying is Osprey does a poor job Proof reading their books!

ytareh
10-12-2007, 01:51 PM
Hey I noticed it earlier but decided Id leave it however with 7 posts already and no mention I cant help but point out :

'because' has only one 'a' and its 'free OF charge ' ...

Sorry couldnt help myself...But yeah I understand when you pay money for a book you expect it to have no glaring errors.

VF-17_Jolly
10-12-2007, 02:02 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ytareh:
Hey I noticed it earlier but decided Id leave it however with 7 posts already and no mention I cant help but point out :

'because' has only one 'a' and its 'free OF charge ' ...

Sorry couldnt help myself...But yeah I understand when you pay money for a book you expect it to have no glaring errors. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/34.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/clap.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif

Ospey prof reding skol http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

bhunter2112
10-12-2007, 03:23 PM
you are not paying for a product with my misspelled e-mail. I am allowed to maul grammer and spelling as everyone else does on the forum but when I pay for a book I expect to get proper dates and spelling. Do you agree?

Waldo.Pepper
10-12-2007, 03:48 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Do you agree? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wel i ugree. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

My book is on AI Radar. See PM for further details iffin you are interested.

LEBillfish : Surprised you don't have this book on your own or wish list. It is totally worth it and great.

http://www.arawasi.jp/salebook.hp/244.html

KG66_Gog
10-12-2007, 04:38 PM
Al Radar....never heard of him. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/784.gif