PDA

View Full Version : Why Assassins Creed cant be what "some" think it to be

SVTCarnage
11-17-2007, 06:12 PM
Before I explain anything Im not going to argue or turn this into a console wars thread. These are just facts & not opinions, hopefully it may make sense to some people. Im sure most all of you already know this...

-Complaints about the lack of voice acting, AI and same old repetative missions in every area which is the main reason this game wasn't what I myself or others expected it to be obviously.

-The story & Altairs bad voice acting are just opinions you could say, I really didnt care much for his voice ethier.

-The lack of "Stealth" gameplay not being there making the game that much worse is also a opinion. I knew after watching the first trailer that this was not that type of game. The game is more about him blending in his enviorments until he reaches his target and or you can assassinate some targets without being seen. After you've assassinated your target the game was designed for you to run like hell prince of persia style to escape & hide and or just kill everything in your way.

-Reasons why the above things could not be there like we hoped & expected with exception of the stealth complaint. Very simple answer & one most everyone really knows but doesn't really care to think about it much I suppose or they'd eventually figure it out.

-Ubisoft could have implanted more voice actors, dialogue, more scripted & improved AI obviously they had the time & resources but its really out of there control simply because the consoles dare i say it "Xbox 360 PS3" cannot smoothly run a game with the graphic build & NPC population as say a upgraded PC. Ubisoft wanted to get out to the mainstream of people obviously and Its a FACT that if they released this game only for PC, it could easily of been a 9.8 - 10.00 within the timeframe they've spent already on the game. I know ignorant people have stopped reading this by now, the fact is they made more $$ money $$ releasing the game how it stands now on consoles & PC then if they released a FANTASTIC game of the year build on PC alone. Lot of you dont care, but if you've made a thread or wandering why the game was not what you thought then... Im sorry then obviously care.

-But Carnage your a idiot Oblivion had tons of voice dialogue & plenty varaity of content, quest & items. This is bound to be thrown at me and ill explain that as well. Oblivion's cities are small & cut off by at least 2 or 3 loading times. There are far less NPC's in Oblivion on screen at any given time obviously then Assassins Creed. Id love to share my own personal opinion on how Oblivion runs on consoles but its unessecarry.

-Basicly you can have a game with near 3 times the content Oblivion has & release it on consoles and make the FPS & game run smooth and more bug free then any other game to date but you'd haft to compensate with more "load times", lack of events going on at one give time in a area etc.

That was a long post, but there are no open minded people on forums & so you haft to explain every detail or I would of just said "Assassins Creed failed to some, because they released the game for console".... That would of gone well :]

SVTCarnage
11-17-2007, 06:12 PM
Before I explain anything Im not going to argue or turn this into a console wars thread. These are just facts & not opinions, hopefully it may make sense to some people. Im sure most all of you already know this...

-Complaints about the lack of voice acting, AI and same old repetative missions in every area which is the main reason this game wasn't what I myself or others expected it to be obviously.

-The story & Altairs bad voice acting are just opinions you could say, I really didnt care much for his voice ethier.

-The lack of "Stealth" gameplay not being there making the game that much worse is also a opinion. I knew after watching the first trailer that this was not that type of game. The game is more about him blending in his enviorments until he reaches his target and or you can assassinate some targets without being seen. After you've assassinated your target the game was designed for you to run like hell prince of persia style to escape & hide and or just kill everything in your way.

-Reasons why the above things could not be there like we hoped & expected with exception of the stealth complaint. Very simple answer & one most everyone really knows but doesn't really care to think about it much I suppose or they'd eventually figure it out.

-Ubisoft could have implanted more voice actors, dialogue, more scripted & improved AI obviously they had the time & resources but its really out of there control simply because the consoles dare i say it "Xbox 360 PS3" cannot smoothly run a game with the graphic build & NPC population as say a upgraded PC. Ubisoft wanted to get out to the mainstream of people obviously and Its a FACT that if they released this game only for PC, it could easily of been a 9.8 - 10.00 within the timeframe they've spent already on the game. I know ignorant people have stopped reading this by now, the fact is they made more $$ money $$ releasing the game how it stands now on consoles & PC then if they released a FANTASTIC game of the year build on PC alone. Lot of you dont care, but if you've made a thread or wandering why the game was not what you thought then... Im sorry then obviously care.

-But Carnage your a idiot Oblivion had tons of voice dialogue & plenty varaity of content, quest & items. This is bound to be thrown at me and ill explain that as well. Oblivion's cities are small & cut off by at least 2 or 3 loading times. There are far less NPC's in Oblivion on screen at any given time obviously then Assassins Creed. Id love to share my own personal opinion on how Oblivion runs on consoles but its unessecarry.

-Basicly you can have a game with near 3 times the content Oblivion has & release it on consoles and make the FPS & game run smooth and more bug free then any other game to date but you'd haft to compensate with more "load times", lack of events going on at one give time in a area etc.

That was a long post, but there are no open minded people on forums & so you haft to explain every detail or I would of just said "Assassins Creed failed to some, because they released the game for console".... That would of gone well :]

Altair778
11-17-2007, 06:25 PM
yup, I agree entirely. Also, assassins creed is in its own genre in my book. If ubi makes a second AC game the developers will have hopefully learned their lesson. Hopefully they'll fulfill their promise of downloadble content and give us some new voices for the crowd

dd22cowboys
11-17-2007, 06:39 PM
Wow, confusing post, i totally missed your point.

AC delivered on just about everything promised. If you were expecting more thats your fault, look at the features on the back of the game before you buy it.

SVTCarnage
11-17-2007, 06:42 PM
Oh another stupid little thing suprisingly everyone seems to be missing is, that there are COMBO's in this game. Yes, that means TEKKEN type combo sequences. You button mash combos 100 miles n hour in Tekken & it will end the combo you haft to keep the rythem.

The combat in Assassin's Creed is easy for everyone ethier way, way to easy in my opinion. Its even worse when you learn that when they say...

press ATTACK AFTER your sword lands thats exactly what they mean, it does not mean press attack BEFORE or you will end the combo string. Guards will block 6+ attacks mashing ATTACK sometimes before you kill them, sometimes you get lucky & they die after 2 or 3, but if you do combos they will ALWAYS die within 2 or 3 hits if they dont counter you.

DUH Carnage! obviously! but did most of you honestly even know somthing so simple heh if not I hope it helps someone.

I know ya did dd22cowboys... I know & your forgiven :]

nakv
11-17-2007, 10:19 PM
I hated the voice work in Oblivion. Bethesda hired decent voice actors(all four of them), but all the characters had the same voices and emotions with a different face. Bleh. Besides Altair, I thought the the voice acting in Assassin's Creed was great. There was enough variety that it didn't take away from the game, at least for me.

You make it sound like if they had made it a PC exclusive it wouldn't have had any problems at all. I could argue that developers don't have to deal compatibility issues or settings on consoles so that there's more room for improvement. There are pros/cons on both sides.

The game did feel like it was rushed. If Ubisoft had focused their efforts on one platform they would have made a better game, but only in theory. The sales on the PC would not be enough to justify the budget required for a game like Assassin's Creed. Don't get me wrong. I was going to get this for the PC, but it got delayed. This game looks like it would benefit a lot from mods and even more so if it was a PC exclusive, but It's a dieing market. This is why you see more and more PC developers shifting their focus to consoles. Get with the "mainstream" or settle for a decent port. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Here's hoping for a sequel. The foundation is certainly there.

Zikro
11-17-2007, 11:45 PM
This game was great. I don't see why everyone is complaining about voice acting. Altair sounded just like he should, in the creator's image. If he should have sounded different than they would have hired another to make him sound different.

You can't spew foul language about a game just because you imagined that a character would sound how you want him to sound. I have a proposition, go make your own game and make the main character sound how you want.

The game was a lot more than I expected after all the trailers and screenshots and presentation at PAX 07. I got a lot more for my money than I bargained for, which is a good thing.

Only thing this game lacks is more side stuff to do. Yes you can go collect flags and what not but that can be nerve-wrecking and boring. And you can't say that saving citizens and climbing towers counts as side missions, it's basically part of the main storyline.

Although the overall repetitiveness was a great part of the game. Why not make repetitive what is fun? I loved assassinating people, fighting loads of guards, and climbing tall buildings with the result ending in a long dive to the bottom. Doing those same tasks over and over was great.

Legolas00198
11-17-2007, 11:51 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by nakv:
I hated the voice work in Oblivion. Bethesda hired decent voice actors(all four of them), but all the characters had the same voices and emotions and with a different face. Bleh. Besides Altair, I thought the the voice acting in Assassin's Creed was great. There was enough variety that it didn't take away from the game, at least for me.

You make it sound like if they had made it a PC exclusive it wouldn't have had any problems at all. I could argue that developers don't have to deal compatibility issues or settings on consoles so that there's more room for improvement. There are pros/cons on both sides.

The game did feel like it was rushed. If Ubisoft had focused their efforts on one platform they would have made a better game, but only in theory. The sales on the PC would not be enough to justify the budget required for a game like Assassin's Creed. Don't get me wrong. I was going to get this for the PC, but it got delayed. This game looks like it would benefit a lot from mods and even more so if it was a PC exclusive, but It's a dieing market. This is why you see more and more PC developers shifting their focus to consoles. Get with the "mainstream or settle for a decent port. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Here's hoping for a sequel. The foundation is certainly there. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree with the oblivion side of voice acting, keen to see how AC goes with it though.

As for the "more and more PC developers shifting their focus to consoles" thats a load of sh!te! It's NOT a dying market infact it's growing, ofcourse consoles are a cheaper way to go for decent quality but they just don't play certain games the way PCs do.

AC will sell more copies on PC than the Xbox360 would have, just you wait and see.

Royal.Mist
11-18-2007, 01:55 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by SVTCarnage:

That was a long post, but there are no open minded people on forums & so you haft to explain every detail or I would of just said "Assassins Creed failed to some, because they released the game for console".... That would of gone well :] </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Three Times The Content? Lol, have you actually looked at the size of both games and compared them? If so, link or proof. If not, shut up please.

Stillzero
11-18-2007, 01:58 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Legolas00198:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by nakv:
I hated the voice work in Oblivion. Bethesda hired decent voice actors(all four of them), but all the characters had the same voices and emotions and with a different face. Bleh. Besides Altair, I thought the the voice acting in Assassin's Creed was great. There was enough variety that it didn't take away from the game, at least for me.

The game did feel like it was rushed. If Ubisoft had focused their efforts on one platform they would have made a better game, but only in theory. The sales on the PC would not be enough to justify the budget required for a game like Assassin's Creed. Don't get me wrong. I was going to get this for the PC, but it got delayed. This game looks like it would benefit a lot from mods and even more so if it was a PC exclusive, but It's a dieing market. This is why you see more and more PC developers shifting their focus to consoles. Get with the "mainstream or settle for a decent port. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Here's hoping for a sequel. The foundation is certainly there. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree with the oblivion side of voice acting, keen to see how AC goes with it though.

As for the "more and more PC developers shifting their focus to consoles" thats a load of sh!te! It's NOT a dying market infact it's growing, ofcourse consoles are a cheaper way to go for decent quality but they just don't play certain games the way PCs do.

AC will sell more copies on PC than the Xbox360 would have, just you wait and see. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's an opinion, the fact that the Game PC market is dying due to the same industry stabbing itself in the kidney is a big fat fact.

colt122
11-18-2007, 03:56 AM
shove this in the reviews sticky and lock this thread mod!

Everard
11-18-2007, 05:35 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">
-The lack of "Stealth" gameplay not being there making the game that much worse is also a opinion. I knew after watching the first trailer that this was not that type of game. The game is more about him blending in his enviorments until he reaches his target and or you can assassinate some targets without being seen. After you've assassinated your target the game was designed for you to run like hell prince of persia style to escape & hide and or just kill everything in your way. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree.

If there had been any more stealth than already is obvious from the trailers it would be a Medieval Hitman. I think their level of stealth is just right- one you can stealthily move upon a target, strike, then enjoy the thrill of the escape: or secondly spend more time in fiding a place where you can strike unseen like in Hitman or Thief.

Perhaps people are hung up on the idea that an assassin is never ever seen, an ingrained "definition" if you like for people is assassin= always unseen. That's unrealistic. All Altair is, is a murderer who has the ability to strike with surpise and get away. Which should be enough for us all at this stage- with other sequels planned(?) they can go anyway with him and the "tactics" could change. Who knows, with this futuristic element going it could be anything.

Ghotten
11-18-2007, 05:50 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by SVTCarnage:

That was a long post, but there are no open minded people on forums & so you haft to explain every detail or I would of just said "Assassins Creed failed to some, because they released the game for console".... That would of gone well :] </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/agreepost.gif this is the most honest post I have ever seen. This is the anti-thread - this should answer all the complaints everyone has, and stop posting stupid questions. This thread should finish it. If it doesn't everyone are just ignorant ****s.

SVTCarnage
11-18-2007, 11:13 AM
Royal.Mist QUOTE Three Times The Content? Lol, have you actually looked at the size of both games and compared them? If so, link or proof. If not, shut up please

Never said anything about size of AC compared to Oblivion, when I said "content" I met there is more to do in Oblivion obviously then in AC. Im no programmer or game developer was trying to help anyone understand why there was not more to do in AC as far as quest, missions & things like that go. You just haft to read the post, it should make sense.

Also, just fyi I never posted any personal opinions about the game execption of Atlairs voice is my only complaint, I play & love Assassins Creed and it was about what I expected for the most part.

Kariko762
11-18-2007, 11:30 AM
I agree with you Carnage - but Oblivion is a RPG this aint so obviously its going to have more content.

I do agree with your first post on this thread, i only got a 360 to play this game so my pc sucks but i am a hard core PC fan i would say that the PC gaming DIED a few years back and is slowly making a come back.

I feel the only thing this game is lacking and a proper stealth function and the fact that when it comes down to the nitty gritty final assassination of the 9 guys ur are limited as to how to aproach it...

for e.g when the 4 people are going to be executed i was on the roof. waiting for him to come out so i could pounce on him.. but for the cut scene to start i HAD to be on the floor in the crowd, which kinda sucked and the movies and trailers/advertising portrayed the game to be "Plan and then execute your assassinations with this amazing free-roaming game" but the final killin was too "pre-planed" in my opinion.... this is probably off topic and just my excuse to rant and rave...

End result i agree with Carnage! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

i'll leave it at that

P.S yeah that was one MEGA post Carnage :P