PDA

View Full Version : Where is the slot?

wt555
12-07-2004, 03:47 PM
Where is the slot?

I was looking forward to patrolling the slot in my F4U-1 and droppng in on Vella LaVella and buying Pappy a gin...

The maps are very small. Only Guadalconal...

Already waiting for the expansion Pak!

wt555
12-07-2004, 03:47 PM
Where is the slot?

I was looking forward to patrolling the slot in my F4U-1 and droppng in on Vella LaVella and buying Pappy a gin...

The maps are very small. Only Guadalconal...

Already waiting for the expansion Pak!

pacettid
12-07-2004, 04:53 PM
I hate to tell you this, but I have seen nothing that would indicate we are going to see any more of "The Slot" included in the next patch.

Tater-SW-
12-07-2004, 05:00 PM
Yeah, with the same land area as the current NG map (land area and associated objects seems to be the limiting factor on map size), we could have had everything up to Bouganville. Whoever was in charge of the PF maps... well, if you can't say anything nice...

tater

Il2pongo
12-07-2004, 07:29 PM
they may well have implemented the maps with a maximum coordinate range limitation not a maximum land mass or object count limitation.
so there might be no benifit for open water.

Stiglr
12-07-2004, 11:27 PM
As I posted in the F4U-4 thread...

The Slot is the name they gave the waterway that runs in between the Solomon islands.

If you look at a map of the Solomons, with Bougainville being at the NW of the chain, and Guadalcanal on the SE, the islands in between (Kolombangara, Malaita, Russels, Vella La Vella, Choiseul, etc. form a parallel corridor from one end to the other. The water in between 'em is The Slot.

bigchump
12-08-2004, 08:03 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Tater-SW-:
Yeah, with the same land area as the current NG map (land area and associated objects seems to be the limiting factor on map size), we could have had everything up to Bouganville. Whoever was in charge of the PF maps... well, if you can't say anything nice...

tater <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Remember the "Moscow" map with no Moscow? Doubtless the person in charge of the PF maps will also create the BoB maps, so we will have more of the same forthcoming.

Cheers!
bigchump

Tater-SW-
12-08-2004, 09:14 AM
Map size is not a coordinate thing according to Ian (who makes maps for them). The Hawaii map is 1000x1000km, the NG map is 440x240km.

They vary a lot in size. Even at the current sizes, they are badly placed (Gudalcanal without ANY of the slot, but with open water south which is useless except for a couple days.

tater

Tully__
12-08-2004, 09:27 AM
The limiting factors for map size are number, variety & complexity of objects and the area and complexity of terrain. The Gulf of Finland map from FB uses over 400MB of memory by itself, before adding aircraft or targets and not counting the game or operating system software.