PDA

View Full Version : Possible fix for €œMacro-Stutter€ problem

Bogun
02-15-2006, 09:22 AM
I believe this problem mostly affect people with Pentium4 CPU and Nvidia 5xxx, 6xxx or 7xxx video cards€¦ Il2_coreP4.dll is from the latest v4.03m patch.

There are many unfortunate folks over here who been seeing something one of my friends registered and trademarked with words €" Macro-Stutter €" nearly a second long freezes - you know €" you are closing onto enemy aircraft, you almost ready to shoot and suddenly picture on your monitor freezes for a second or even more and when it un-freezes (in the best case scenario) €" enemy is just gone on his merry way or worst €" you crashed into him or into the ground€¦ Frustrating€¦

This post is not about €œMicro-Stutter€ when new player joins a dogfight server €" and all existing dogfight participants PCs freeze for a fraction of a second, the solution for this one is well known€¦

Okay, here is a test:
http://213.234.196.245/~protoss/online/traks/zag3.ntrk (http://213.234.196.245/%7Eprotoss/online/traks/zag3.ntrk)
Download this track into your game record directory and let it run two or three rounds with no interruption, note the difference.

The track is very short. What you are going to see is Fw-190 closing onto La-5, then another Blue plane floats into field of view (you may see first freeze right here), then your 190 will setup for a deflection shot and La-5 disappear under the engine cowling. When 190 pilot shoot, for the people with the €œMacro-Stutter€ problem the whole screen freezes and next thing you see a second later will be La-5 flying to the ground past your right wing.

If you don€t touch anything and allow track to run for the second time €" you are going to see everything €" the shots, the impacts of the cannon shells on the La-5 and its flight across the cockpit glass to the right, past the right wing€¦

If your screen did not freeze after Fw-190 firing and track is running smoothly afterward €" congratulation €" you don€t have problem with €œMacro-Stutter€, move along€¦

But for those like me, who€s PC freezes €" here is a solution which solved my and some of my team mates problem with freezes:
Edit conf.ini and make sure that below two lines look like this
TexCompress=2
TexFlags.TexCompressARBExt=1
Or just Run IL2 Setup and set Texture Compression to S3TC and put the checkmark next to Texture Compress ARB Extension.

As you understand €" problem was self-inflicted... My video card has 256MB of memory, who could have though that I will need S3TC compression... http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

Bogun
02-15-2006, 09:22 AM
I believe this problem mostly affect people with Pentium4 CPU and Nvidia 5xxx, 6xxx or 7xxx video cards€¦ Il2_coreP4.dll is from the latest v4.03m patch.

There are many unfortunate folks over here who been seeing something one of my friends registered and trademarked with words €" Macro-Stutter €" nearly a second long freezes - you know €" you are closing onto enemy aircraft, you almost ready to shoot and suddenly picture on your monitor freezes for a second or even more and when it un-freezes (in the best case scenario) €" enemy is just gone on his merry way or worst €" you crashed into him or into the ground€¦ Frustrating€¦

This post is not about €œMicro-Stutter€ when new player joins a dogfight server €" and all existing dogfight participants PCs freeze for a fraction of a second, the solution for this one is well known€¦

Okay, here is a test:
http://213.234.196.245/~protoss/online/traks/zag3.ntrk (http://213.234.196.245/%7Eprotoss/online/traks/zag3.ntrk)
Download this track into your game record directory and let it run two or three rounds with no interruption, note the difference.

The track is very short. What you are going to see is Fw-190 closing onto La-5, then another Blue plane floats into field of view (you may see first freeze right here), then your 190 will setup for a deflection shot and La-5 disappear under the engine cowling. When 190 pilot shoot, for the people with the €œMacro-Stutter€ problem the whole screen freezes and next thing you see a second later will be La-5 flying to the ground past your right wing.

If you don€t touch anything and allow track to run for the second time €" you are going to see everything €" the shots, the impacts of the cannon shells on the La-5 and its flight across the cockpit glass to the right, past the right wing€¦

If your screen did not freeze after Fw-190 firing and track is running smoothly afterward €" congratulation €" you don€t have problem with €œMacro-Stutter€, move along€¦

But for those like me, who€s PC freezes €" here is a solution which solved my and some of my team mates problem with freezes:
TexCompress=2
Or just Run IL2 Setup and set Texture Compression to S3TC and put the checkmark next to Texture Compress ARB Extension.

As you understand €" problem was self-inflicted... My video card has 256MB of memory, who could have though that I will need S3TC compression... http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

crazyivan1970
02-15-2006, 10:14 AM
Sticky for a week, worth of try guys.

Aviar
02-15-2006, 10:18 AM
There's really no need to go messing around in your conf file. You can adjust those settings from the Setup menu.

To get this: TexCompress=2 ...just choose 'S3TC' in the box labeled 'Texture Compression'.

To get this: TexFlags.TexCompressARBExt=1 ...just put a check in the box labeled 'Texture Compress ARB Extension'.

Aviar

Bogun
02-15-2006, 10:46 AM
Correct Aviar, its in my post.

Aviar
02-15-2006, 12:27 PM
I'm sure it's the same freeze I usually get. The first time I fire my guns during a session, I sometimes get a very short freeze.

Unfortunately, this fix does not alleviate the problem for me. Good to see it helped you though. Thankfully, it's only a minor problem.

Aviar

Bogun
02-15-2006, 12:59 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">AMD XP 2600+
EPoX EP-8K9AI Mobo
1536Mb DDR PC 2100 RAM
ATI Radeon 9800 Pro </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Right,
You have AMD CPU and ATI video card and all the people who saw the "Macro-Stutter" eliminated had Intel Pentium4 CPUs and Nvidia video cards...

foxyboy1964
02-15-2006, 02:49 PM
Hey Ivan, do you know if this stutter is something that is being looked into by nvidia?

carguy_
02-15-2006, 04:48 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Aviar:
I'm sure it's the same freeze I usually get. The first time I fire my guns during a session, I sometimes get a very short freeze. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Same here.Started with 4.01 plus I have to reboot because the game can be ran only once a session.When I go to a mission 2nd time without rebooting the PC freezes about 2minutes after game start.

Funy thing I can run regular QMBs many times a session without problems.

Retrofish
02-15-2006, 05:08 PM
I get a short pause the first time in a session fired rounds hit something, after that things are relatively smooth. If I disable sound I don't get the pause.

This appeared in 4.01/4.02.

LT.INSTG8R
02-16-2006, 03:51 AM
I see this too and I have P4 and ATI I check the console never see any errors I also dont run S3CT I guess I will have to turn it on and see if it helps

P43.2E @ 3.6(225FSB)Zalman 7000B-Cu
Abit IC7
2x1024 Corsair XMS 3-3-3-8(1:1)
X800XT/Arctic Silencer 4
Samsung Spinpoint 120G SATA
SB Audigy 2 ZS
Tagan 420W
LG 1930BQ TFT 19" 12ms
Logitech G5
Saitek X-52
3DMark05 6174 (http://service.futuremark.com/compare?3dm05=1640658)
3DMark03 12917 (http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k3=4528204)
3Dmark06 2162 (http://service.futuremark.com/compare?3dm06=6599)

Hopper64
02-16-2006, 06:15 AM
Retro-That's exactly the problem I have had too. Seems it has happened since 4.01. I guess things are being dumped into memory??

KG26_Alpha
02-16-2006, 09:05 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">When 190 pilot shoot, for the people with the €œMacro-Stutter€ problem the whole screen freezes </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Just another heads up on that problem.

Wasnt this something to do with hardware sound acceleration in the Direct X diagnostic sound tab ?

By moving the slider to the left off of full accelleration it stopped the pauses due to other aircraft engines and especially when you fired aircraft guns. I remember a few pilots fixed the problem this way also.
Just another solution maybe.

Pig_Mac
02-16-2006, 09:53 AM
It worked for me in the track at least. Intel p4 2.8 and a nVidia 6600GT (256 mem). I havn't suffered much stutters offline lately, but I sure had them in that track.

JG54_Arnie
02-16-2006, 12:39 PM
It fixed it for me.. well pretty much, just had very little stutter after changing the texCompress from 0 to 2.

Thanks! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif
Got a PIV 2.6 and Ti4200 btw. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

BM357_TinMan
02-16-2006, 07:34 PM
Seemed to have fixed it for me

in the trk atleast....I'll fly a bit and see

I had just become so used to it, it didn't bother me so much

LEBillfish
02-16-2006, 07:59 PM
Might this fall into the same catagory?......

Have been divebombing with a Ki-61 A LOT from 5km.....Roll over, aim, drop......However, the second I press the bomb release I freeze....and stay frozen through 4km of dive at 0% throttle suddenly unfreezing slamming into the ground.

This is more then just a visual freeze though, as no matter if I pull back on the stick, hammer flaps to landing....nothing happens till "impact".

6600 245mb Nv/ 2,53ghz P4 here....I'll try it and relay my results......Tired of cursing up a storm.

LEBillfish
02-16-2006, 08:46 PM
tested the ntrk and sadly I have the macro stutter and unfortunately the fix didn't help......

HOWEVER, that does NOT mean it won't help others as my settings could be very different from many others.

Thanks for the efforts and posting though.

ManicGibber
02-16-2006, 09:25 PM
I have AMD with Nvidia, I don't have any macro-stutter and I'm not using S3TC or the driver compression extension, thankfuly.

icrash
02-17-2006, 09:09 AM
First time i fired the guns I got the macro. The fix seemed to work for me (p4/radeon 9600xt). Thanks http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/11.gif

Xiolablu3
02-18-2006, 09:33 AM
OK I will explain this for you guys.

When you load up a IL2 level the computer tries to load all the graphics into the Graphics card memory and PC memory.

If it runs out of both tyes of memory then it pushes some of the data which is not being used at that time (for instance the gun firing graphics or a certain planes texture) onto your Hard disk (virtual memory).

When you come to trying to fire your guns or get close to a new plane, the Game needs to retrieve these effects/textures off your Hard drive again which is much slower than RAM or VRAM. This results in a quick pause as its loaded.

You can alleviate the problem by getting more memory, a bigger video card, turning on S3 texture comprtession, or turning the graphics settings down. You need to be able to get as much of the level Data/Graphics etc into your VRAM or RAM rather than onto your Hard disk/Virtual memory.

I would recommend for excellent settings and almost no stutter :- 1gb of Ram, S3TC on, at least 128mb Video card - GF Ti4200/RAdeon 9500 or better

carguy_
02-18-2006, 09:52 AM
Yeah well most of us went by IL2 setup explained thread that says no compression is needed for cards with 256MbRam.

People aren`t wandering off with video settings,they are runnin average graphics yet the problem is there.

Oleg said 16bit comp. is handeled badly by today`s cards.He recommended stencil buffer also since most modern cards can handle it.

I use Gainward128bitGeForce5600256MBRam.Tell me if the card is indeed too weak to store enough textures to make me use S3TC.Performance is not much better but overall texture quality is ****.

I aint takin the S3TC bit.

Recon_609IAP
02-18-2006, 10:02 AM
Good post Xiolablu3 , question though:

"I would recommend for excellent settings and almost no stutter :- 1gb of Ram, S3TC on, at least 128mb Video card - GF Ti4200/RAdeon 9500 or better

"

I never see a big different personally btwn excellent and perfect

2500+
9800 128 meg ATI
1 gig corsair dual

Xiolablu3
02-18-2006, 11:19 AM
Ahh sorry I cant comment on perfect as I have never used it.

I thought my oldish graphics card would not cope with it (TI4600) If you see no problems then use perfect by all means.

Xiolablu3
02-18-2006, 11:25 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by carguy_:
Yeah well most of us went by IL2 setup explained thread that says no compression is needed for cards with 256MbRam.

People aren`t wandering off with video settings,they are runnin average graphics yet the problem is there.

Oleg said 16bit comp. is handeled badly by today`s cards.He recommended stencil buffer also since most modern cards can handle it.

I use Gainward128bitGeForce5600256MBRam.Tell me if the card is indeed too weak to store enough textures to make me use S3TC.Performance is not much better but overall texture quality is ****.

I aint takin the S3TC bit. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The thing is, that people are producing bigger levels for the game with more and more planes and more and more ground targets. ALso online maps are created by the users now.

The more planes/ground targets/size of the map all takes more memory. If you run out of memory and there are still more effects/graphics etc to be loaded, thats when you will start to get stutters.

S3TC compresses the textures so that more fit into your VRAM, this means you can fit more in your RAM without having to use your HD for virtual ram. It hardly loses any quality yet allows more textures to be fitted into the same amount of memory.

If you play the orgignal stock campaigns then you will probably be fine, but once you start trying to play a level on a low end computer which was made by someone with a very fast computer, you will probably run into problems.

carguy_
02-18-2006, 11:44 AM
I understand now,Xiolablu, that 256MB of video memory is not enough.Ok.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">S3TC compresses the textures so that more fit into your VRAM, this means you can fit more in your RAM without having to use your HD for virtual ram. It hardly loses any quality yet allows more textures to be fitted into the same amount of memory. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don`t understand the virtual ram - video ram thing.I thought that my 1GB memory takes care of it all.

It is said that when one`s out of RAM the swapfile enables resulting in stutters.

No you`re tellin me that if that 1GBRAM is enabled the PC stutters too?That is where I`m out.

I have to check out the difference between physical ram and virtual ram.

Physical ram I have constantly 670MB free,virtual 200MB free.

So are you talkin bout virtual memory running out and using physical memory?I thought that ram sticks prevent stutters http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_confused.gif

================================================

Anyways,I play rather not so complicated missions.Online wars have few flak,some static objects,about 25 planes flying around and about 16 moving ground objects.

Now while playing I get no stutter.ONLY at the very first time I fire the guns.

The sheer number and lack of stutters basicly mean that I have enough memory to run the whole mission with all objects loaded.
The thread author suggests though that the stutter is caused by not enough memory. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_confused.gif

Xiolablu3
02-18-2006, 12:33 PM
Sorry I see where I have confused you.

VRAM is Video RAM NOT Virtual RAM

VRAM/Video Ram is the RAM which is on your Video card (you have 256mb) This RAM is used only for graphics.

Normal RAM is the 1GB I was talking about, your normal system RAM.

Virtual Memory/Swap File is the portion of your Hard disk saved for when your computer runs out of ram.

When a level is loaded the graphics are first loaded to your Video Ram (graphics card). When this memeory is used up it uses any normal RAM spare at the time and THEN goes to Virtual Memory on your Hard disk.

VideoRam is fastest, Normal Ram is OK, and Virtual Memory (your hard disk) is very slow.

Therefore if you computer runs out of both types of RAM then it uses the Harddisk to store the overflow, and when it has to retrieve this it is much much slower, resulting in a pause while it 'fetches' it.

It is also why some peoples computers with less memory load levels much slower. The computer is trying to load things, but having to spool stuff straight back onto the hard disk (virtual memory) if there is not enough RAM, resulting in it trying to write both ways at once, meaning big slowdowns in loading.

S3TC simply makes the testures smaller and therfore more can be fitted into your Video Ram (graphics card memory)

Hope this makes it a bit clearer, I am not the best at explaining things. Dont hesistate to ask anything you dont understand.

ALL computers have to use the Harddisk/Virtual RAM, its not necesarily need MORE RAM, just that more would help if the stutters are very bad. (But also turning the graphics down a bit would too) Even a computer with 3gb would probably use the Virtual Memory/Hard disk sometimes.

jermin122
02-18-2006, 09:57 PM
Will this downgrade the LOD?

XyZspineZyX
02-19-2006, 06:42 AM
Question do the other extensions such as multitexture, combine, secondary colour, vertex array extension & texture ansitrophic extension have a desirable effect or are they a waste of time & do nothing

Xiolablu3
02-19-2006, 08:18 AM
S3TC may downgrade the textures very very slightly but I am betting you cannot notice.

DasReich - They dont do 'nothing'. but there will be a best settings for you computer depending on if you want absolute top quality or top performance. I am not really sure what all these do, but I am guessing the Aniso extention is anisotropic filtering (which I am sure you know about).

Ask on the Tech help boards in a new topic about these effects, you will get an answer.

Junkers_Jack
02-19-2006, 02:46 PM
Hmmm intesting, downloaded the track and found the stutter mostly with the a/c crossing from top right to bottom left. But for me no matter what I did to all my settings the stutter was there even if I went to the lowest settings and resoloutions. In fact on the settings I use I see refreshrates of 70 drop by half when the stutter kicks in. I ened up with a conclusion that there is a bottom limit that my pc handles these changes and when I increase the resolution the stutter is not as vivible because my refresh rate is running at say 35 for the higher quality graphics. Bit of a bummer as I have been trying to optimise the refresh rate http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif Thanks for the track as its a good bench mark, but now I am uncertain on the best way forward/

Firebird_79vRAF
02-20-2006, 10:30 AM
~S~

Worked like a charm on my pc.

P4 2.7G
6800Ultra
1G 400Mhz DDR RAM

Loaded the track and just like described and what I experience sometimes online, start to fire and the screen freezes for a second.

Changed the lines in the config file and no freezes.

F19_Ob
02-21-2006, 03:22 AM
P4
3.0 Ghz
6800GT card

This took most of the pauses away from me, and below are my online settings:

Enabling S3Tc Texturecompression in il2 setup and setting all sounds to lowest and no hardware accelleration on sound.
If u have two sound devices on your computer check so only one have full accelleration.
Don't get confused if the S3TC setting doesn't give u better FPS, it just allows u to store more textures on your graphics card (if I understand xiolablu3 correctly)

In game settings I have everything on full exept I have 'only' high on Ground ,not perfect or ecellent because of the higher quality trees wich eat FPS.
(Trees can be set down in conf. ini aswell)
Water 1 for online use.

I have two times antialiasing in my graphic card settings and no anisotropic filtering.
I probably could crank Antialiasing up to 4 but the fluidity is more important.
Anisotropic filtering makes for example water waves more distinct at distance and I absolutely don't want that.

Last I have my Teamspeak soundqality set to lowest so I don't get spikes or pauses when pressing the button to talk.

With this I still have discustingly beautiful graphics and I can not see any difference in quality because of the S3TC texture compression
that carguy seemingly suffers from.

Before these settngs I had Half second pauses on the black death track when explosions started but with these above it hardly is noticeable and setting down the sound quality all together with the above gave me 9-10 FPS
and my average went up to 55 FPS on the Black death track.

These settings also allows me to set effects to 2 in conf.ini and the most noticeable gain is more smoke at hits and explosions wich get filled with black.
On full servers with too big maps and too many objects and flak I cant recommend effects 2 though.
--------------------------------------------

This type of sim seemingly needs a graphicscard with 512mb and 2 gig ram.

Xiolablu3
02-21-2006, 09:45 AM
You have understood S3TC perfectly F19_Ob.

I cannot say for eveyone that they would not have a quality drop from S3tc (you may have better eyes and better monitor than me) but I cannot tell the difference.

S3TC was introduced as a way of fitting more textures into the Gfx card memory by S3TC and hardly reducing the quality, or that was what was claimed.

I think what F19_Ob should add is that for THOSE SETTINGS that he uses need his specs. I play on Excellent settings using a 2500+ cpu, 1.25gb of RAM and a 128mb gfx card TI4600 (TI4600 is faster than a geforce 5600FX) and hardly get any stutter except on very big online maps with LOTS of ground targets and a full server.

I think that you need 768mb to play on medium settigns and not much stutter as that is what I had before I another 512mb and that was OK.

Armhunter
02-21-2006, 11:37 AM
"The thing is, that people are producing bigger levels for the game with more and more planes and more and more ground targets. ALso online maps are created by the users now.

The more planes/ground targets/size of the map all takes more memory. If you run out of memory and there are still more effects/graphics etc to be loaded, thats when you will start to get stutters."

I dont agree with this being the actual cause of the stutters..

I am getting them every 5 minutes or so and I am running a very nice machine.

AMD 3500+
2 gig memory
7800 GTX 256mb ACS3
audigy 7.1

I think it has to do with the programming. I also did not see this stutter until the 4.xx series of patches.

Remember back when everyone using Nvidia cards complained about setting the graphics to perfect would result in missing textures. Oleg swore it was Nvidias fault.. Well, He fixed the problem in the next patch.. I always posted it as being the fault of the programming of IL2. Then there was a TrackIR problem and again TrackIR was to blame. The guys at TrackIR said that Oleg did some testing and again, It was found in the programming of IL2 and was fixed with the latest patch that just came out.

Not trying to bash IL2, but there is a lot of programming involved in this game. This is probably the largest game I have ever played. But I have played more graphic intense games. I am also not bashing Oleg in any way. Oleg has created an awesome flight sim that I play just about everyday!! and am in awe by it..
I used to work in the software engineering department for 3 years and understand what is involved with something this large... But dont be surprised if it is a programming problem in IL2. No other game does this on my machine.. Not even as graphic intense as LockOn.

My settings are set to Perfect @ 1600x1200 as always and I am just now getting the stutters since 4.xx patches... If I change my settings one down from perfect, I get no stutters at all...

I dont care how much is going on the screen, it should show Low FPS rather then stuttering..
I get an avg of 70FPS and I built my own mission with 60+ planes in the same area...

I get the stutter even if there is only one other plane I am flying with...

One last note... I have no disk activity at all and even turned my virtual memory off to test... and it still stutters..

Hawgdog
02-21-2006, 12:47 PM
Still have them (and I'm really greatful for this post- shows we the people are trying to fix it) with my someone mediocre system.
X85XT oc'd to the next level (tried with and without the overclock) 2 gigs of geil pc4000, 3. P4 northwood-I'm beyone anal about checking for latest drivers, defrag dailey blah blah, ...still got stutters
in that ntrk file

regards

II_JG1_Falke
02-21-2006, 01:35 PM
Just to claify. Are these "Macro Stutter's" the same ones that I've been getting "online only?" The 2 to 3 second freezes? The freezes my squad mates are getting too?

They're really pissing me off, especially when they happen near the ground!

I've tried all the above fixes, (and more) including the new dll's with no improvment. Maybe it is FB and not our machines. I hope it gets fixed soon!

Meanwhile, it sure would be nice to hear Oleg chime in on this.

Armhunter
02-21-2006, 03:21 PM
Here is another thing I found out..
I am running the Audigy 2 ZS, and had my settings for sound on the highest it could be. Running EAX... Once I turned it down one, the studders went away... My settings still have EAX activated, but its not on the FULL setting...

So, I either,
A) turn the sound down one step
or
B) not play on Perfect Mode and set it to Excellent mode...

There is still something wrong, I am getting the 70FPS, so matter if I have them both at Max.. So I still say its a programming issue..

Xiolablu3
02-22-2006, 06:44 PM
This IS the cause of some people stutters, I can garuntee it.

Just because it doesnt fix your problem, doesnt mean it wont fix others.

I have explained a likely cause of stutters, it may not be your problem.

If you dont get stutters when you turn the graphics down to excellent then it suggest it IS the same problem.

You have everything set SO high (1600x1200xPerfect) that the sheer amount of pixels and testures is MASSIVE.

Not using EAX will also free up some memory/cpu time, which suggests why this also fixes the problem.

Without seeing your computer I cant say any more, but why not just leave the sound setting down a little or turnt he resolution down a bit? You already said this gets rid of them.

Armhunter
02-22-2006, 11:25 PM
I am not trying to argue..

Again.. I get an average of 70FPS... when the stutter comes it does not even drop to a stuttering amount.. Like 20 FPS or below...

I understand what you are saying.. But from my experience in building and setting up computers. Not only that, working in the software engineering department writing scripts.. I just think the problem is more then just turning down the settings... esp if you dont need to... 70fps and i still have turn down settings?? there is something wrong!

another thing I noticed... There is nothing crazy going on when I get the .05 sec stutter.. and it comes at differnt times.. random... I could have 2 planes on the screen and it will still occur the same as if I had 50 planes on the screen...

Turning down the sound did get rid of the problem, and I did leave it.. I just think there is an answer somewhere else in the way it was programmed.

Xiolablu3
02-23-2006, 02:32 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Armhunter:
I dont agree with this being the actual cause of the stutters..
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Then maybe you should have added MY stutters.

If you build computers then you should know the sheer amount of graphical data that a computer has to process when you play a game on very high settings.

Just going up from 1024x768 to 1600x1200 means more than DOUBLING the amount of pixels on the screen.

1600x1200 = nearly 2 million pixels
1024x768= nearly 800,000.

You should also know that FPS has NOTHING to do with the amount of textures you can fit in memory. You could have 1000 fps but if you run out of room in your GFX card or PC memory then you are going to get a jerk as the computer has to fetch the data through a slower 'pipe' than your AGP slot or PCI E slot.

A simulation like this is not like a console stylr game with little levels, the maps are massive. If you get a fps game like boiling point with massive maps, then each time you enter a new area the computer loads a new bit of the map. Not so with Il2/FB. EVERYTHING on the massive map has to be loaded into your computer before you start.
If you can find another game with as big maps which are all loaded into memory at the start of the level, I would be very surprised. There are very very few.

If its a fault of the programing like you say, then why hasnt everyone got this problem?

Personally I think its a fault with how you have your computer set up, but I can't do anything without seeing it. The first thing I would do is try some different Graphics card drivers to check thats not the problem, but I guess you have done that already.

carguy_
02-23-2006, 02:39 AM
I confirm what Armhunter says.No matter how low settings are,a single 1v1 QMB gives me stutter the very first time after booting up IL2.

I have most settings set to low and 1024x768x32.S3TC did get rid of this stutter but I think that is something else than a vid issue.In 1v1QMB I have 46-85FPS(vsynch on) yet I get this 1sec stutter everytime.

vincemagda
02-23-2006, 07:30 AM
When I had 512MB RAM, I got plenty stutters, put an extra 256 to make it 768MB, stutters became less. I was advised on this forum not to have an "odd" RAM with the IntelP4 Prescott CPU and went back to 512MB RAM with lower graphic settings, but left it at 1024x768x32, the stutters were a lot less than they ever were. This was with an nVidia MX4000 128MB card.

Then put in an extra 512MB RAM to make it 1GB RAM. The sysytem RAM went automatically to dual channel because the RAM is matched and stutters virtually disappeared. Later when I could afford it, I put in a nVidia 6600TD 256MB video card with graphic settings between normal and high with 1024x768x32 and the stutters have all gone to hell/heaven.

The above was not all by my own intellegence, but by following good advice from other flyers on this forum. My system is rock solid, does not crash (no Overclocking) and am dead happy with it.

Vince

F19_Ob
02-23-2006, 05:24 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by carguy_:
I confirm what Armhunter says.No matter how low settings are,a single 1v1 QMB gives me stutter the very first time after booting up IL2.

I have most settings set to low and 1024x768x32.S3TC did get rid of this stutter but I think that is something else than a vid issue.In 1v1QMB I have 46-85FPS(vsynch on) yet I get this 1sec stutter everytime. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That really sucks carguy. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_confused.gif

* Vsync on? What happens if u turn it off performance wise?

* I won 9 FPS by setting down sound. Everything on lowest in the soundsettings in il-2 setup, and no enhancements on.
To me the il2 sound seems to eat lots of FPS and when many different guns fire my audigy2 card can't handle it to well I think. With everything off I can run Black death without pauses. But still I may have a pause when a Hurricane shoots first time, and yet I have
Good frames at black death:
Avg: 59.507 - Min: 22 - Max: 137

My rig doesn't like the trees on perfect and excellent and my frames got up quite a bit when I removed them and set landscape detail to just high.

Did u remember to turn ARBextensions on aswell when setting S3TC in il2 setup?

There's got to be a bottle-neck somewhere.

Xiolablu3
02-23-2006, 05:42 PM
Armhunter and Carguy, what Graphics card drivers are you using?

Have you tried any different ones&gt;?

Do you have many programs in the taskbar/quicklaunch at the bottom right hand of the windows screen? (These are all loaded up with windows taking up ram whether you use them or not, IL2 would therefore have to 'push' this data out onto the Harddisk before it could even play the game which may result in the 1 sec stutters in the first QMB Carguy. How much memory do you have?)

If you want to do a ctrl alt delete, process's tab, and tell us what process's you have running in there then that may go a long way to helping us sort this out.

carguy_
02-23-2006, 06:13 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by F19_Ob:
* Vsync on? What happens if u turn it off performance wise? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Vsync makes your max FPS sync with monitor`s refresh rate.If you set ref.rate to 85Hz your max FPS will be 85.
If sync is off you FPS goes unlimited resulting is moments of very high FPS.I get 128FPS while looking at the sky with sync off.
If your monitor ref.rate is lower than your FPS at a moment you get the thing called "tearing".It means you can actually see frames coming onto each other one after another.It looks like watching a WWI footage and is mostly noticed in moments of big FPS drop.

For example tearing occurs when I look at the sky and next second at clouds when FPS drops from over 100FPS to 34FPS.

I don`t think I explained it simply enough though http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-sad.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">* I won 9 FPS by setting down sound. Everything on lowest in the soundsettings in il-2 setup, and no enhancements on.
To me the il2 sound seems to eat lots of FPS and when many different guns fire my audigy2 card can't handle it to well I think. With everything off I can run Black death without pauses. But still I may have a pause when a Hurricane shoots first time, and yet I have
Good frames at black death:
Avg: 59.507 - Min: 22 - Max: 137 </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

This is issue of mine too.It would be nice if somened shed some light on this.
By eneral opinion of dudes over the Community Help Forum I though that if one has a nForce/Audigy sound then this particular device should take ALL the stress of processing sound.Why?Because those have their own CPUs which take the whole sound processing from your core CPU(AMD/Pentium).

I am unable to count through how many sound/gfx combinations I came through benchmarking with Black Death trk.I have nForce so I enabled everything sound related on full.The difference in overall results in 3-5FPS between lowest/balanced/highest sound settings.
Hence I stayed with full sound settings.
I don`t understand why you get so high difference with Audigy2 (being a bit better than nForce).I know however that some Creative drivers sux big time.

Here is my problem.As I said FPS difference with low/full settings is marginal.BUT with sound off(in IL2setup utility) I am completely free of stutters in Black Death trk http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_confused.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">My rig doesn't like the trees on perfect and excellent and my frames got up quite a bit when I removed them and set landscape detail to just high. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

My PC is very old now so I have low/very low ground and lightnings settings.

Yes,I have ARB ext.on.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Xiolablu3:Armhunter and Carguy, what Graphics card drivers are you using? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Using Win98SE.
Went through all vid drivers up to 66.42.Tested in B/Dtrk.
Performance seems to degrade gradually when using newer drivers.
I found best vid drivers - ForceWare 45.23(recommended by Oleg in AEP days I think).

All taskbar side processes are
Explorer
Riva Tuner
Systray.

Using 1Gb400MHzRAM(dual channel 2x512).

Armhunter
02-23-2006, 06:25 PM
xiolablu3 - I think its awesome you are trying to help out!! And have fiddled with some of the things you have said.. And yes it helped...

But please remember, I am no where near a noob when it comes to computers...

I am running an AMD 3500+ (just ordered an fx55, should have it in days)
I have 2 gigs of ram.. which should be plenty..
Nvidia EVGA 7800 GTX ACS3 (this card screams!)
The 7800 GTX that I have running now, beats my old 2x6800GT SLI... by a bit...
My sound card is an SB Audigy ZS

My system is only running 277MB right now... I noticed iexplorer takes up a lot that..
I am also running a CH Control Manager for my joystick and pedals, and I run TrackIR... when playing...

and again.. As far as graphicly intense games.. Lockon must be handling the data differently, because I get no stutters at all in that game ever... smooth as silk.. Please note.. I do not like Lockon nearly as much as I do this game..

Armhunter
02-23-2006, 07:30 PM
I hope we figure this out..

Here is what I did..
I downloaded the latest drivers for my audio card. The stuttering got worse..

I changed the audio setting from Balanced to Best.. And it is now much better..
I still get a stutter now and then, but not near as often..

this does not make sense, but this is what happened.

Lewicide
02-23-2006, 08:28 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Armhunter:
I hope we figure this out..

Here is what I did..
I downloaded the latest drivers for my audio card. The stuttering got worse..

I changed the audio setting from Balanced to Best.. And it is now much better..
I still get a stutter now and then, but not near as often..

this does not make sense, but this is what happened. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I had exactly the same result,
low quality sound=more stutters
balanced=better
quality sound=very few stutters

NVIDIA FX5600

Xiolablu3
02-23-2006, 09:46 PM
Sorry guys, you are going to hate me for this but it really would help and let us determine exactly what could be causing a stutter now and then. (It could be a background application running when you dont want it too)

Carguy had the general idea but he didnt pick the right tab. (EDIT: Yes he did but its WIn98SE, oops)

[EDIT: This bit just for Armhunter or WinXP users]

1.Ctrl-Alt-Del
2.Then pick the 'Process's' tab (Carguy you picked 'apllications'
3.Write down all of these (I have 28)

This will also let me tell you if you have any hidden spyware/virus's you didnt know about.

Tedious I know, but I am willing to go thru them all and check there is nothing amiss. I know exactly what all my process's are doing so that there is nothing eating CPU time unecersarily.

All it takes is one bit of unoticed spyware to be running itself every 5 minutes and hey presto, there is a stutter.

I know it may not be this, but its worth checking. It could be so many things that all we can do it go thru each possible casue and eliminate it. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

EDIT, I just realised, Carguy is using Win98SE. I can only do this on WinXP comps.

-----------------------

Another possible cause (I may have written this before but oh well)

Do you guys ever use Bitorrent and also a Software firewall which logs attacks??

If so then switch off the logging in the options.

After I have used bitorrent and closed it down, the computers I was connected to (sharing with) are trying to re-establish the connection to me but I dont have Bitorrent running any longer. Therefore my Firewwall (Zonealarm) thinks they are attacks from the net. It therefore logs them, writing them to a text file evey minute or so.

As there are so many hits, usually around 2 or 3 a second, the computer has to write all these to a text file and this made my game freeze while it wrote.

I turned of logging in the firewall and it fixed it.

Maybe you have a probelm similar to this.

---------------

I will keep thinking of possible causes so that you can eliminate them.

Xiolablu3
02-23-2006, 10:00 PM
This isnt essential, but it should help your game run a lot smoother.

If its not too much trouble and its been a long time, then try a reformat. (You may have already tried this and it made no difference.)

As your disk gets full, bits of programs get stuck all over the disk. Defragmentation helps a bit, but a reformat is the best way. Clear out all that sh*t.

Install windows on one HD if you can and FB/IL2 on another. This way both can be reading or writing at the same time. I put a pgae file on each disk so that if one is reading then it can use the page-file (virtual memory) on the other disk. Dont have seperate partitions for windows and FB/PF, because if the comp needs a windows file it has to run all the way back to the other partition to fetch it (DirectX or some font for example)

If you only have one hard disk then install Windows and then Il2/FB right after your firewall and other esstential Apps. This way its all in one place on the disk and the needle doesnt have to jump all over the disk looking for half a texture or something like that.

Xiolablu3
02-23-2006, 10:05 PM
Please answer this question. Does your Hard disk light flash when your game stutters??

Armhunter
02-23-2006, 11:38 PM
I know I dont have any crazy hidden spyware programs running...

But maybe its my Nortons ANTIV..? I will try it tomorrow.. I will turn it off...

I have about 30 programs running.. NO software firewall programs.. I am using a wireless router... and I dont play online as of yet, still practicing..

Xiolablu3
02-24-2006, 11:52 AM
Not saying you do, just asking how you know that you dont?

Have you googled every process running?

Anti Virus adn Anti Spyware progs wont get rid of every worm/hijacker/Spyware/virus.

Armhunter
02-24-2006, 12:13 PM
Yes, i know what every process does...

I just killed 5 unessesary processes and I still have the problem...
Not only that.. I remember.. this started when the new 4.xxx patches came out...

I am telling you.. Its a programming issue..

If I have to turn down the graphics to excellent just to get it to play smooth then there is something wrong!! Esp. when my system can play it at the settings I have without a problem with the older patches...

Turning down features that are supposed to work is not the answer for me... Any other game, out of my 27 years of playing, I have never seen stutters like these.. I have seen Slow Downs and programs crawl, showing very low frame rates.. but this is a totally different issue.. Even if I turn up the graphics the stutters are the exact same, no worse, no better... So something else is wrong..

Tons of people are complaining about the stutters and now they are seeing it more and more often...

carguy_
02-24-2006, 05:21 PM
Running updated SpybotS&D and Adaware programs.
Nothing new found.

I have this installation since like July heheh
Been running great with constant mainteinance.

As for the HDD light thing on me tower I dunno cuz it`s long busted.

Xiolablu3
02-24-2006, 06:04 PM
Armhunter what do you mean that it is a 'programming issue'? Do you mean that its a compatibility issue with some of your hardware?

Many people run the game at very high settings with no problems, so how do you mean 'programming issue'?

I still think that you are pushing your computer too hard. Just because the settings are there doesnt mean people can play it at those settings without supercomputers.

Doom3 most people cant even play that on high settings now and it came out over a year ago.

The problem and solution that it works ok when you turn the graphics or sound down suggests that your computer just doesnt have the memory (video ram or whatever) to run it at those settings yet.

What settings are you trying to play on when you have the issue?

Resolution and settings please.

Armhunter
02-24-2006, 06:21 PM
Doom 3? Used to run that on max @ 1600x1200.. the only thing I can not turn all the way up was the AA and AF.. I left AF to OFF.. and AA to x2... but doom3 ran fine.. so does Fear at the same settings...

My computer can run this program fine.. like I said before 70fps avg.. I run black death and the avg is around 40fps...

I can be flying side by side another plane and it will happen for no reason... It will happen for 1 split sec. at the beginning of the mission.. then about 4 minutes in.. another split sec.. and then the time frame between them gets longer and longer... soon, I can fly the game without a problem, but I have to play about 3 missions before this will ever happen.. If this was an issue of my computer not being able to handle the settings, it would always stutter no matter what and all the time...

Think of it this way...
You have drivers out there for all your hardware right? They are always optimizing them, rewriting some of the code to help them understand each other and run smoother...
Same goes for any code you write.. if things around you change, your code needs to be optimized as well...

Another example.. Not too long ago, I was helping this guy on this forum with his SLI issue. His rig was a lot beefier then mine... he was complaining about the stutters as well...

It does not take a super computer to run this game at 1600 x 1200... Been running it like that since it came out... the stutters started at patch 4.xx plus...

Armhunter
02-24-2006, 06:34 PM
here is another thing...
It could be just a simple overlook.

take a look at how many IL2 patches come out with BUGS...

From being in the software engineering department I can understand this, esp when this game is so complexed.

But still, Oleg comes out with a patch and there is always something wrong... Some video cards produce the water as BLACK... Missing textures on planes.. Disappearing planes. Etc.. I could go on...

As far as we know, Oleg does not even have the computer set up some of us have to test it on. I remember a post a long time ago asking about SLI,, Oleg said he did not have a computer set up for SLI.. Maybe they dont have a QA department for this program, who knows...

So I think it could very easily be an oversite or even something changed and no one notices because they are not running the exact same setup as some of us... Either way, there is a problem.. and I am not saying its anyones fault.. things like this happen... and nothing is perfect...

Xiolablu3
02-24-2006, 07:05 PM
You dont seem to understand that stutters arre NOTHING to do with FPS. MOST stutters are a result of the game having to cache textures or use virtual memory. I know you dont want to admit this, but running the game on perfect mode 1600x1200 is likely to overflow your 512mb of graphics memory. Resulting in stutters as it caches. NOTHING to do with fps.

Perfect mode is not even supported by 1c as an official mode.

Doom3 was just an example of a game which SOME people cant run at full settings still, nothing to do with this.

If you think its a hardware driver issue then find out which piece of hardware is the problem and send it to 1c. A 'programming issue' is so vague as to be no help at all.

I still think you will find that your computer has not got enough video memory to run the game at the settings you are, without a few stutters here and there as it has to cache the massive textures and effects.

Trust me that everything you have said sounds like this is the cause. Of course it may not be,but as you have eliminated most other things, I am 99% sure that this is the problem. (I was 75% sure this was the problem before you even tried anything else)

Just turn the settings down and play the game.

Failing that, find someone else who runs the game with NO stutters at 1600x1200 Perfect mode and compare specs.

Armhunter
02-24-2006, 11:54 PM
??? I turn the settings down to 1280 x 960 and still have the same problem...
I know for a fact its not the memory issue on the card.. Most video games, most likely including this one (since its aging) , is not even set up to use 512 MB...

and I know what you are talking about, Caching the textures.. The whole reason for these new fast cards is to be able to read the information fast enough and pass it on so we dont have these problems... which can create a bottle neck...

But from my understanding a bottle neck would happen more frequently at a more steddy pace...

Changing the settings from Excellent to Perfect is turning on settings somwhere in the loop that something is not handling it correctly.. period...

Armhunter
02-25-2006, 12:43 AM
for your amusement, i ran the game at 800x600..
same thing...

Meaning, its not due to my computer not being fast enough...

It is either.. A) something on my machine is causing the game to hickup (too many people have the same proble for it to be this!! unless we all like the same programs..)

b) someone needs to optimize the code..

tonyt1960
02-27-2006, 02:22 AM
I agree with Armhunter in thinking its a programming issue. Now im far from being a computer expert, but these are my results.

P4 3.0 Prescott HT (stock)
6800GS 256mb (stock)
3.0GB ram
100GB Maxtor SATA
Temps all normal.
OpenGL
water=2
Perfect mode

Playing the track i experienced the stutter during the deflection shot. I also experienced the micro stutter at the beginning of the track when the other blue plane flew past.

I changed the setup to ST3C and still experienced the micro stutter when the other blue flew past, but the deflection shot stutter was gone (smooth). So, the compression worked.

Here is why i believe its a programming issue. After the track loaded, i went into system info to see how much physical ram was being used (given the theory that virtual ram will take over once physical ram is depleted). Here are my results:

-At desktop without running IL2:

Total Physical Memory 3,072.00 MB
<span class="ev_code_RED">Available Physical Memory 2.69 GB</span> - Benchmark
Total Virtual Memory 2.00 GB
Available Virtual Memory 1.96 GB
Page File Space 4.85 GB

-After IL2 "zag3.trk" loaded without using compression:

<span class="ev_code_RED">Available Physical Memory 2.08 GB </span> - 2.69-2.08=610 used, uncompressed
Page File Space 4.85 GB

-After loading IL2 "zag3.trk" with compression (ST3C):

<span class="ev_code_RED">Available Physical Memory 2.28 GB</span> - 2.69-2.28=410mb used, compressed
Page File Space 4.85 GB

So as you can see, the track took up only 610mb of physical memory without compression and 410mb with compression. A difference of only 200mb. Which makes sense for that person who added the 512mb and his stutters were gone. If there is a way for the user to allow the game to access more physical memory at higher settings, we could perhaps solve these stutters for those of us with 1gb or more ram.....?

As you can see, i have 3gb of ram and still get stutters (uncompressed) soley due to the fact that the game limits itself to a specified amount of ram usage before it goes to virtual ram (while still having 2gb of available physical ram left over). By referencing the numbers above, it doesnt even look like it has tapped into my virtual ram at all in either scenario.

Edit: It also may be a load timing issue. When you see that the track is loaded 100%, it may still need more load time and loads the rest while playing the track. This is probably why when you run the second loop on the track it is smooth uncompressed. Oleg may have made a setting that loads all the "essentials" during the loading screen to cut down on load times, while still loading all the little "extras" after the track has already started and hasnt caught up until the second loop. I can imagine load times being excessively long on older machines and this is probably why Oleg may have made this limitation for the "lowest common denominator". Since machines are getting faster from when IL2 was first released, perhaps Oleg needs to change the load setting to let it ALL load during the load screen. Make sense? Dunno... just throwing out ideas....My load time is less than 30 seconds on a complex mission. The zag3.trk loaded in about 25 seconds. I never had a load time in excess of 1 minute as i do on some of the newer pc games which have zero stutter in game. I didnt time any load times, just going by feel.

Edit#2: I just timed my load time for the game itself. From clicking on the IL2 icon on my desktop to main control panel in the game took 11 seconds. Time to load zag3.trk took 28 seconds. Time to load second loop took 23 seconds. Second loop had 2.05 available physical memory, .03 more used than the first loop. Uncompressed for both. Stutters were gone in second loop. Perfect mode.

PS. FEAR is super smooth for me on Maxium. I only take a fps hit. 70+ avg on high, 40+ avg on max. But, load times are longer between missions and checkpoint saves.

T_O_A_D
02-27-2006, 07:26 AM
Even when benchmarking with "The Black Death" for years your second run was/is smoother. Or when you play and the first time you fire guns you may get a stutter. I beleive second run performance stuff, comes from the sounds/or muzzle,ordanance flashes being loaded.

Armhunter
02-27-2006, 10:34 AM
Tony and Toad, I agree!!

But I think the game should be made to load everything the first time..

So Tony, if what you are saying is correct, which I believe it is.. Then something should be done, so that when playing the first mission, it should be as smooth as playing the 100th...

Because the more missions I play, the better the game plays...

They probably will not fix this issue.. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

F19_Ob
02-28-2006, 11:41 AM
Do any of u with the problem experience any improvements if sound is completely off?

Sometimes I get the feeling that some effects, like explosions , watersplashes and some guneffects arent pre-loaded or are demanding and therefore cause a stutter first time it's loaded, but not the second time...

Just thinking loud.

|CoB|_Spectre
02-28-2006, 02:31 PM
It's not really a matter if the sound (volume setting) is turned up or off. The processing resources used for sound, even if using a sound device with an onboard processor which supposedly relieves the CPU of such duties, still has a marked effect on overall processing power and is most easily seen as glitchy video framerates. Check your dxdiag setup and try lowering sound acceleration incrementally. You may find that it reduces or eliminates frame pauses with a neglible effect on sound quality.

carguy_
03-01-2006, 02:27 AM
Sound off - no stutter
sound acceleration lowered - no diffrence between max and lowest acceleration(stutters still there)

the only game I get those kind of stutters is IL2

F19_Ob
03-01-2006, 04:22 AM
Sound off - no stutter
sound acceleration lowered - no diffrence between max and lowest acceleration(stutters still there)

the only game I get those kind of stutters is IL2 </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I suggested the sound thing because I read about another game (silent thunter, if i remember corectly, anyway with U-boats) that had a bottleneck in the sound and the soulution to stutters was to turn off accelleration.
In an earlier sim CFS1 the soundfiles for guns was big and when lots of planes were shooting it became a slideshow.
Since one could alter stuff in that sim it was easy to fix skins and sound, I got the sound files smaller and suddenly I could fill the sky with planes.

Perhaps there is some similar problem in il2 with textures, effects and sounds, and also what tony says?

I wonder about an option to alter the quality of following in several more steps up or down:

*effects Graphic ,like explosions and smoke separately.
* separate texture-quality on cockpit, plane and objects and buildings.
* Quality of gun and effectsounds
* several more options for trees

With this kind of control perhaps it would be esier to find ones best performance instead of setting everything low.

Still thinking loud.

Armhunter
03-01-2006, 01:48 PM
Sounds like a plan, but where does it end??
I would like to know what kind of Computer you have to have just to run this thing correctly.

There should also be another solution.
Like I have posted before.
I am now running :
AMD FX55
2 GIG's of ram
EVGA 7800 GTX ACS3
Audigy 2 ZS

To me there is still something wrong with the way the program is handling the sound. I tried this program @ 800x600/32 and it made no Difference then running it @ 1600x1200/32..
I get just about the same FPS, and the same problem with the stuttering..

so I still say its a programming issue and needs to be optimized.. Or, this game is way ahead of what is available as far as Sound cards go, and I highly doubt that..
Last thing: I see this problem even with only two planes in the air... It should not do this at all!!

|CoB|_Spectre
03-01-2006, 02:51 PM
Sounds like a plan, but where does it end??
I would like to know what kind of Computer you have to have just to run this thing correctly.

There should also be another solution.
Like I have posted before.
I am now running :
AMD FX55
2 GIG's of ram
EVGA 7800 GTX ACS3
Audigy 2 ZS
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Man, this is strange because compared to your rig, mine is a coal-fired clunker! Like so:
AMD XP2800 Barton
Abit NF7 nForce2 mobo
768MB DDR RAM
Creative Soundblaster Live sound card (use the gameport for my CH HOTAS rig)
ATI AIW 9700 Pro videocard
Windows XP Pro

Thing is, I don't have the micropauses online or off. I do have my dxdiag Sound slider set to Basic (don't notice any real difference in sound quality, but set higher causes pauses) and I run Cacheman for memory management. I dream of upgrading to a computer like you've described, but I have no idea why my obsolecent computer runs without the problems your highend system experiences.

Armhunter
03-01-2006, 02:56 PM
COB - are you running the game on Perfect? This only happens when I am set to perfect mode.
In excellent mode it does not happen, which is another mystery...

but yea.. beaf up your rig!! I dont have any problems with any other games.... no matter what settings I try..

|CoB|_Spectre
03-01-2006, 03:21 PM
COB - are you running the game on Perfect? This only happens when I am set to perfect mode.
In excellent mode it does not happen, which is another mystery...

but yea.. beaf up your rig!! I dont have any problems with any other games.... no matter what settings I try.. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yep, running the 9700 Pro in Perfect. What I may lose in fps I make up for in immersion from the visuals. Beefing up the rig is not an option at this point, too many family priorities. Besides, they keep moving the goalposts! These bloody hardware designers are always doing that long before an interface (i.e. AGP) has even approached its potential, they go and switch to PCI Express. I'd have to scrap everything that's currently working quite adequately. This is about the only game I play anymore. I wish I had half the money back I've spent over the years on game software, then I could build a price-no-object rig.

Armhunter
03-01-2006, 03:33 PM
Can ATI run in Open GL?
Maybe it has to do with that?
Maybe its only an NVIDIA thing?
I dont know what it is, but its not because of my rig being too slow for this game... I could name other games that are more graphicly intense and dont stutter...

I dont blame you for not wanting to spend the money on a new rig.. I was there once too. And I agree, they keep changing things too fast, but they are in to making money.. and as long as we all keep paying, they will keep upgrading...

OAC_Rawool
03-01-2006, 05:04 PM
My fellow squadmate and I have the same problem aswell and we have tried everything posted. The other day my squadmate was looking in his BIOS and found an option called
"SLI Broadcast Aperture"
it was set to Enabled so he Disabled it and i tried it after. We both saw a big difference. I would say it still happens but it is either barely noticable or not happening as often.

Note: we both have reletively the same machines so it may vary for others.

Another option i found was in Nvidia's Driver settings for my Graphics Cards. Under "Performance & Quality Settings"
there is an option called
"Conformant Texture Clamp".
It was set to ON but we turned it off and noticed a small differnece in a good way.

I found a really nice guide on Nvida's Forceware Driver Options. They seem to keep it updeated. It nicely Describes what each option does.

This link is for the begining of the Guide:
http://www.tweakguides.com/NVFORCE_1.html

This link is for the Section on Performance & Quality Settings.
http://www.tweakguides.com/NVFORCE_6.html

|CoB|_Spectre
03-01-2006, 05:35 PM
Can ATI run in Open GL?
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Absolutely! From what I read it seems ATI does not have the emphasis on OpenGL compared to that of Nvidia, but I run my aging card in OpenGL. It seems to run best with ST3C compression and I usually keep it down to 2x Anti-Aliasing. Generally I've followed the recommendations found in these forums with the exception of the compression which seems to work well with my old 128MB 9700 Pro.

CARBONFREEZE
03-02-2006, 12:00 PM
I haven't taken the time to read this entire thread.

I have built several gaming machines for playing IL2, usually I build a new one every 6 months or so and sell the old one.

In the last 4 machines, I have used both hardware and software based RAID controllers. What I have noticed is when using a software RAID controller (like what comes on your mainboard), I would get more pauses, especially on single processor or single core based machines.

After building a dual 3.8 xeon box, I used four 10krpm SCSI u320 drives with a hardware RAID controller (it has its own processor on the card). I setup these drives in RAID 5, RAID 0, RAID 1 and RAID 0+1 to determine the best performance for IL2 using RAID. Because this was a hardware based RAID controller, it was not using up CPU processing time to talk to the HDDs when reading/writing to the RAID. I found that RAID 0+1 gave the best performance (fastest load times) while maintaining redundancy. RAID 0 gave the best performance overall, but is dangerous due to lack of redundancy. RAID 5 and RAID 1 load times were about the same.

I noticed with that machine that pauses were greatly reduced when running IL2 from the hardware RAID controller. I used ProcessAffinityMask setting of 2 (use processor 0 & 1 or first processor and first processor HT) in il2conf. The motherboard I used to build the machine also had onboard SATA RAID (software controller). I took a pair of 120gb Maxtor SATA HDD I had from a previous machine and setup a RAID 0. I copied my IL2 folder over to the SATA RAID from the SCSI RAID to see how it would perform. I noticed immediately that I was getting some pauses in game if I forced the game and the OS to run from the same CPU, or if I disabled HT on both CPUs. I was not having this issue when running the game from the SCSI RAID controller with the same CPU limitations (second CPU disabled or HT disabled).

The 3.8ghz xeon box also had 4gb of RAM, which allowed me to setup IL2 in a 3gb ramdisk (after trimming out all skins, missions, and tracks). I had no pauses when running IL2 from ramdisk, but the computer would place data into swap (virtual memory) when playing larger missions due to more than 1gb of RAM usage by the il2 thread.

After building another machine which had a 3.2 p4d-ee I noticed the same issue. I would get pauses if I ran the game from the onboard SATA RAID. So I bought a SATA RAID controller which had its own processor, created a RAID 0, and copied IL2 over to it. I noticed within 15 minutes that I wasn't getting as many pauses online, most of them occoured when lots of AI were spawning during coops, which is a CPU issue. After playing in a couple of dogfight servers, I noticed that pauses due to spawning were almost non-existant, and there were no other screen lockup issues due to firing or bouncing yaks in a fw190 http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif . I can't remember the processaffinitymask setting that I was using, because it was some goofy number, but IL2 was setup to run on the second CPU core and second CPU core HT "core."

I believe that the stutter issues are caused by the windows task manager placing the il2 thread to sleep while it takes control of the RAID or HDD controller and retrieves the data from the hard disk(s). Using a hardware based controller or ramdisk to run il2 from resolved the majority of stutter issues on my machines. Using a SB Audigy instead of onboard sound (Azalia HD) also improved FPS.

Edit: Fixed formatting/typo.

Armhunter
03-02-2006, 12:45 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">If guns are responsible for crime, my keyboard must be responsible for my spelling! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Love the quote!! and so true!

thanks for the info.. I have never built a machine using raid... I might just look into it now...

TequillaJack
03-04-2006, 01:11 PM
S'up Bogun?

Tried to down load your 'ZAG NTRK file but when I tried to run the track from FB AEP, I recieved an error messages that said

"File Track Records/ZAG3.ntrk version is not supported"

Can you advise? I'd like to try and run this track but am not able to.

Tequilla Jack

"Living to rise in the Luftwaffe, is a question of learning as quickly as possible to fly with your head, and not your muscles." Dietrich Hrabak (125 victories)

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bogun:

Okay, here is a test:

TexCompress=2

As you understand €" problem was self-inflicted... My video card has 256MB of memory, who could have though that I will need S3TC compression... http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Warbird-
03-05-2006, 12:03 AM
I tried the S3TC solution and the problem persists for me. During a flight of, for example, five minutes the game will have "short freezes" for at least 6 or 7 times. It's a real shame. The game didn't behave on this way before the 4.04 patch.

Is there any other solution I could try to solve this?

Genie-
03-05-2006, 02:27 AM
btw.. if I'm downloading something with FlashGet and playing in the same time (offline) I also get micro stutters..

Jetbuff
03-05-2006, 03:11 AM
Can it just be an optimization gone wrong? You know, a decision by the programmers to only load some textures as they are needed? This would minimize the footprint of IL-2 in memory allowing older PC's to cope but would hurt those with faster PC's who now have to put up with 'on-demand' hard disk access to retrieve the texture. BTW, it's easy to test this theory if you experience this stutter with a particular aircraft's guns: fire them and see if you get stutter then fire them again and see if the stutter reoccurs or not. Same principle as the track being stutter free on the re-run, just a tad more specific.

CARBONFREEZE
03-05-2006, 04:56 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jetbuff:
Can it just be an optimization gone wrong? You know, a decision by the programmers to only load some textures as they are needed? This would minimize the footprint of IL-2 in memory allowing older PC's to cope but would hurt those with faster PC's who now have to put up with 'on-demand' hard disk access to retrieve the texture. BTW, it's easy to test this theory if you experience this stutter with a particular aircraft's guns: fire them and see if you get stutter then fire them again and see if the stutter reoccurs or not. Same principle as the track being stutter free on the re-run, just a tad more specific. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree. It would be nice if Oleg would add an option to the conf.ini file to force all objects that are possible to be loaded during the mission into RAM instead of swap/virtual memory or remaining compressed on the storage media in the *.sfs files. An example would be loading all LOD/textures for all objects/aircraft into RAM for a dogfight server, along with all cache data (skins/mission) for those objects. This would require a HUGE amount of memory, though. Uncompressed around possibly 7gb, if compressed about 3gb. If that isn't fesable, then atleast rewrite the memory usage of IL2 to allow for more aggressive usage of system RAM, up to 4gb.

When I had IL-2 running from RAMdisk and it wasn't crashing due to useage of non-ecc RAM, the load times were very low and freezes were uncommon until the RAM was filled to maximum and began swapping to the HDD. Even with a RAMdisk the CPU had to decompress the texture/object files on the fly, which would lead to a few drops in FPS when new objects spawned.

My current machine has 4gb of ECC RAM, but my next box will probably have 8 or 12gb of ECC. At the moment this allows me to setup a 1gb RAMdisk and set the swapfile to this partition, because windows will still swap data to disk even if your RAM isn't full, which can be very annoying. I don't reccomend doing this with non-ECC RAM though, because it can destroy whatever data is in the RAMdisk due to the poor error rates of normal DDR.

Junkers_Jack
03-05-2006, 06:49 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jetbuff:
Can it just be an optimization gone wrong? You know, a decision by the programmers to only load some textures as they are needed? This would minimize the footprint of IL-2 in memory allowing older PC's to cope but would hurt those with faster PC's who now have to put up with 'on-demand' hard disk access to retrieve the texture. BTW, it's easy to test this theory if you experience this stutter with a particular aircraft's guns: fire them and see if you get stutter then fire them again and see if the stutter reoccurs or not. Same principle as the track being stutter free on the re-run, just a tad more specific. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ok so this is sort of prompting me to think, how to verify the idea. So I ask would all the stutter go IF an online game had only 1 aircraft on a small map. Perhaps a gun fire would load graphics for that, a few explosions etc the I assume all should be fine.

I have been tweaking the settings on my graphics card and can get an average of 45fps online and nearer 70 offline. It seems to be smoother with much less stutter. I also

Warbird-
04-09-2006, 12:55 PM
A guy on Hyperlobby suggested me to wink when I get the "macro-stutter", but I don't think it would be the best solution.

I still have the problem. After the latest patch, sometimes the game freezes for a second, even when the FPS is high (above 50). Is it just me or is there other people who still have the problem?

RCAF_Irish_403
04-09-2006, 03:45 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Warbird-:
A guy on Hyperlobby suggested me to wink when I get the "macro-stutter", but I don't think it would be the best solution.

I still have the problem. After the latest patch, sometimes the game freezes for a second, even when the FPS is high (above 50). Is it just me or is there other people who still have the problem? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

this fix works well for me..sorry i can't help http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

AFJ_Locust
04-10-2006, 10:31 AM
TexCompress=2

I have this set already because I did many FPS tests with a Hardcore COOP and I recived best FPS with thoes settings I have an ATI X800XL 256mb card. now that we have established that heres the rest of the rig.

Abit€IC7-G€P4 2.4c@2.9 259FSB 1.525v
1gig€OCZGold€3200€2.8v€2.2.2.5 T1
ATi€X800XL€405/520€Stock4now
SB€X-gamer€platnum€Breakoutbox
Seagate€2x80gig€SATA€7200.7
Seagate€40gig€20gig€7200.7
Quantum Viking II€9gig€SCSI
Nec€DVD€Burner€56xCdrom
21"Trinitron€OS:/&gt;XP€pro
Zalman€7000bcu

Now I have been flying this sim for many years almost 6 and over that time Ive seen alot of wierd stuff & just dismissed it as "IFO" Internet Foul Operation. Ive also seen legitimate cheats among other stuff wich was simply dismised as IFO.

But I have noticed a very structured patern with certain flyers, they have this manuver that I like to call "Warpzors" first they begin like any good sizors they speed dive away getting you thinking, this is gona be a long chase of corse in there dive they are throtteling down not enough so you notice but enough to force the overshoot at the right time, next thing you see them begin a left hand roll, out of the roll they begin a SHARP left hand turn, you start to think about a snap shot on there open wings POOF next thing you know they roll back right & Warp like HELL , Ive seen them do this manuver so many times now that I have named it warpzors inplace of sizors, in my honest opinion & from years of flying and dogfighting online they are cheating bastards who's kills mean nothing for there skill is derived from cheap exploitation.

Im not sure how they create this "Warp on demand" but yes they are doing it, Its foul play & evertime I see them do it, I call them out on it because at first I thought it was IFO but now I have been watching the pattern over the last year or so, I can honestly say they are cheating.

You know who you are, learn to fly so you dont need to cheat ya vermon.

Novoroso
04-10-2006, 11:20 AM
I don't suppose you were playing on UK Dedicated 1 last night? I said the very same thing in sheer frustration - it happened so many times I became convinced they'd bound a key or something, and said as much.

AFJ_Locust
04-10-2006, 11:52 AM
No novotny I was not there sorry you ran into them or it.

I just did a test, I downloaded Bogun's track, I ran the track first with: TexCompress & TexFlags.TexCompressARBExt Inabled, I monitored the Commit Charge in windows task manager while I played the track in loop mode, task manager was overlayed ontop of the game so i could monitor bolth at the same time.

With TexCompress & TexFlags.TexCompressARBExt Inabled the commit charge was 589MB of Physical RAM, I let the track run 10 times in loop mode in never exceded 589MB of Physical RAM......

Next

With TexCompress & TexFlags.TexCompressARBExt DISABLED (I used the il2setup.exe to make the changes) The commit charge was 794MB of Physical RAM Thats 205MB differance between compressed textures & non compressed.

Another thing I noticed is that NON compressed looks better AND I could see ALL the bullet strikes on the la7, with compressed textures I seen only half of thoes same strikes visualy.

Another thing is that I experianced NO lag either way Compression Inabled or Disabled It was smooth as glass on Perfect mode with water0,forest0,effects0.

Last comment, This all the more conferms in my mind that there is a part of the community that are cheating.

Also this proves that for certain people with low Physical RAM systems they should indead USE TEXTURE COMPRESSION as the original poster has stated.

I will continue testing with it disabled over the next week & report back any findings.

STOP THE EXPLOITING LOW LIFE FORMS!!!
YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE!!!

Lucius_Esox
04-10-2006, 12:01 PM
Interesting thread and I feel for you guys who have the deadly "stutters"

My m/c is a bit archaic cpu wise (XP2800 Barton) but I run in 1024x768 in perfect mode virtually stutter free.

I used to get little stutters in the BD track with my old vid card (9800 pro 128) but with some tweaking using my new card (X800 pro 256) it's the smoothest I have seen it!

Initially after first installing the card I had S3TC turned off= big stutters, even with a 256mb card and 1.5 gb of ram. Turned on, big difference http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif Still some stutters so I adjusted my Vid card latency down from 255 to 128,, smooth.

Thats all I have done although from memory I have my water set pretty low.

Btw turning down h/ware acceleration and quality for sound although giving better fps didn't effect stutters at all.

One thing I noticed is that stutters online seem to build up over time??? Someone said this is the IL2 program getting a bit messy,, a re-install here really helps me.

SgtNathan
04-11-2006, 03:19 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by novotny721972:
I don't suppose you were playing on UK Dedicated 1 last night? I said the very same thing in sheer frustration - it happened so many times I became convinced they'd bound a key or something, and said as much. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

There was a fair amount of dodgy stuff on that server when I used to play on it, Mainly unbelievably lucky pilots who get all of your controls in few hits with mg's. It annoyed me so much I feel never play there anymore.

GhostFiles
04-11-2006, 05:55 PM
This is my fix for those long freezes - May not work for different System Configs.

Asus P4P 800E Deluxe
P4 2.8E HT enabled
Corsair XL 2225 Ram 512mg Dual Channel (512 total Twin 256')
Turbo Setting and Performance Accel ON
SBlive

VIRTUAL RAM Beginning 2048
VIRTUAL RAM MAX 2048

Freeze KILLER

GhostFiles

Manos1
04-14-2006, 06:48 PM
I just tested my new rig online:

AMD Dual core Opteron165 @2700MHz (something like an AMD FX60)
2GB RAM
2 NV7900GTX SLI

I play 1152x864 4AA 4AF no optimisations water=3 or water=4

I do not have stutters of any kind :-)
However, I experience a very strange problem:
The first time I load IL2FB and enter into a dogfight server (water=3), within the first 5-10minutes, I will experience a MEGA-stutter something like 5-10 seconds!
After that, the machine runs without any other problems.
With water=4 I experience the problem every 10 minutes.

I tried without any compression (ST3C etc) and it seems to solve the problem. The one MEGA-stutter still remains...

~S~

-HH-Quazi
04-14-2006, 09:33 PM
Can you relate it to players getting killed and then respawning on their airfields?

Manos1
04-15-2006, 09:53 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by -HH-Quazi:
Can you relate it to players getting killed and then respawning on their airfields? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Me? no, it has nothing to do with it.

It is interesting that besides that one MEGA Stutter, I can play online for 2 hours (did not try longer...) without any stutters at all.

One more interesting observation:
When I fly offline, CPU usage is 25% on one CPU only.
When I fly online, CPU usage is 52% total, that means that 1 CPU is working 100% (when I set proccessaffinity to the second CPU) or a mixture 30% CPU1 (CPU1 performs other functions as well) and 70% CPU2.

I mean, this is an Opteron 2x 2700MHz 1Mb CPUs. This is the fastest stock CPU today (the AMD FX-60 runs at 2600MHz).
The 25% CPU utilisation when offline looks credible to me...
but, 100% CPU utilisation (on one CPU) when online????
very strange....

~S~

MOH_MADMAN
04-15-2006, 12:22 PM
I cannot find that sc3t box in my setup menu. am i missing something? only can find whree can change in the setup.ini.

any help here, was put into dirt last night because of the freeze.

Thanks
MAD

Manos1
04-16-2006, 08:26 AM
Run il2setup.exe, under Video, custom settings, Texture compression: It is S3TC (sorry for my previous mispelling...)

Divine-Wind
04-16-2006, 04:10 PM
You'll have to set the little pull down list at the top of 'Video' to Custom to see the other options, though.

MOH_MADMAN
04-17-2006, 12:54 PM
ahhh thanks Divine Wind

S~

MAD

BS_YB
04-17-2006, 01:39 PM
Hi all you guys .
I don't usually post but read with interest your problems with stutter with this game..(I have... Pacific Fighters and FB ACES PF merged) . I too was experiencing stutter online, but recently reducing the sound hardware acceleration to standard in DXDIAG that stopped it completley, and made the game playable at a time when I had all but given up hope. there are still slight stops when online respawn or new player enters , but touch wood it's possible to enjoy this sim, AT LAST!

AMD 2000XP
Geforce 5200FX 256DDR
2GB DDR
Muse 5.1 soundcard ( sensaura settings)

BS_YB http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

AFJ_Locust
04-17-2006, 02:01 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by MOH_MADMAN:
I cannot find that sc3t box in my setup menu. am i missing something? only can find whree can change in the setup.ini.

any help here, was put into dirt last night because of the freeze.

Thanks
MAD </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

MadMan

Go here:
X:\Program Files\Ubi Soft\IL-2 Sturmovik Forgotten Battles

Find this:
il2setup.exe

Double click it

Appelette opens, go too the video tab, you will see the dropdown menues on the top, If you have 2 gig of ram you do not need S3TC, Ive been runing the game over the last week with 1 gig of ram and a 256mb vid card, with NO s3tc it seems to be fine, altho I recomend anyone with 1gig of ram & less than 256mb v-card better use s3tc & Texture compress ARB extension.