PDA

View Full Version : Advice needed on how to fight with the jug.

Airmail109
10-21-2005, 04:10 PM
Ive always liked the look of P47s but ive never managed to tame them. I fly P51s a lot, energy fighting and bnzing with them. In the jug though i find myself bleeding E which I wouldnt in the P51...it just feels ungainly. I really want to get somewhere with this plane. My interest was boosted by the addition of the P47 late.....and the fact that I screamed into a furball at 600mph from 25000 feet to 9000 feet...and it DIDNT fall apart...as a stang pilot i was truly bricking myself in that dive...was expecting the wings to fall off at any moment! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/59.gif

Any advice on how to tame this bird would be great!

Airmail109
10-21-2005, 04:10 PM
Ive always liked the look of P47s but ive never managed to tame them. I fly P51s a lot, energy fighting and bnzing with them. In the jug though i find myself bleeding E which I wouldnt in the P51...it just feels ungainly. I really want to get somewhere with this plane. My interest was boosted by the addition of the P47 late.....and the fact that I screamed into a furball at 600mph from 25000 feet to 9000 feet...and it DIDNT fall apart...as a stang pilot i was truly bricking myself in that dive...was expecting the wings to fall off at any moment! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/59.gif

Any advice on how to tame this bird would be great!

Grey_Mouser67
10-21-2005, 04:32 PM
It is B&Z all the way...or keep it high.

the early model 47's out speed all unboosted 109's so feel free to engage and disengage at will....but, if there are Fw's around you are dead meat! Don't fight against Fw's below 20K or B&Z them...I doubt you can out turn them either...but I haven't tested with new patch.

With the bubble canopy Jug, you are B&Z...the new version seems to have better climb, but I don't know how much better. I am pretty certain you should be able to E fight and turn with Antons...but Dora, well lets just say you better have a tactical advantage against the Dora or you will not survive. The critical altitude of the bubble tops is about 7500 meters so going high isn't as good an option except against G6A/S and Antons....the G-14 should be beatable as well but the G-10, K-4 and Dora outclasses even the hot rod jug pretty substantially....so B&Z is best!

danjama
10-21-2005, 04:34 PM
what he said! id take an early 47 over a bubble one any day!

FI_Willie
10-21-2005, 05:10 PM
I just flew a late( latest?) jug in QMB. This was my first try at one in several months. I've been flying 109 and mostly 190's pretty much exclusively offline for quite a while.

My impressions are,
It climbs like a homesick angel.

It's VERY fast downhill. (stayed together at 850KmH!)

It kept energy very nicely for me. I had a hard time slowing it down to land. It forced me to pull several hard turns to get the speed off so that I could approach at a decent landing speed.

Felt rock solid to me.

I turned it like I do my 190's and it didn't lose any appreciable Energy.

My advice, fly fast, BnZ just like they said.

Airmail109
10-22-2005, 08:29 AM
Thanks for the advice! Im really starting to like the Jug!