PDA

View Full Version : Q to those modding their cougars (spiking/centreplay)

Gfresh99th
12-05-2004, 11:31 AM
Hi guys...i got my cougar about 1.5 years ago and for some time now im experiencing alot of centre play as well as significant spiking while flying. Ive browsed through the frugals world cougar website and forum and to be honest im entirely preplexed as to what type of mod i need.

My impression so far is that i require cubpilots hall sensors to eliminate the spiking and either the U2NXT mod or Everstrain or everstrain lites to eliminate the centre play as well as compliment the hall effect sensors.

Could you guys please put forward recommendations as to what i should purchase considering their performance and price and also how easy they are to install into the cougar.....ive not used a soldering iron or studied electronics since i was at schoolSmile

Thanks in advance, appreciate any replies.

kfurni
12-05-2004, 11:55 AM
Hi Gfresh99th,

I've had a Cougar for about the same time, I modded it allmost straight away with Cubpilot hall sensors and IJ's U2 and I've never looked back.

If you fly WW2 birds the IJ's mod if great as for Everstrain I'm not sure if its more for Jets or ww2 birds but I hear nothing but good reports about it so its up to cost and personal preference.

The IJ modd was a doddle to fit with good instruction as was Cubpilot Hall sensor instructions, so if you could solder while at school then you shouldnt have any problems soldering now.

kfurni

FatBoyHK
12-05-2004, 01:29 PM
go for either one, you won't be disappointed... I have an U2, and therefore I recommends IJ's stuff. U2NXT is the newest mod from IJ, which is a little bit better and considerably cheaper than U2. About ES-lite, it is a trimmed-down version of ES, a lot cheaper, but it is a compromise afaik, so you won't got the best with it (comparing with U2, U2NXT and ES), but it is more than enough for most of us. If I need an upgrade now, I would be as difficult as you do, don't know what to choose from.... however, at the end of the day you won't make a wrong choice, both are excellent stuff.

Gfresh99th
12-05-2004, 03:10 PM
Cheers guys.....though ive been checking out prices and im shocked as to the price of some of these mods

Hall sensors $100...ok not bad
U2NXT AUD470....jeez..thats like 190

not sure how much the everstrain lites are but it seems that there are supply problems with it so guess my only option so far is the U2NXT but theyre soooooo expensive!!

FatBoyHK
12-05-2004, 09:12 PM
yes, but trust me, they worth every cents they cost http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

Hans_Philipp
12-06-2004, 02:10 AM
Same troubles as you guys with centre play...WOuld be interested in seeing these mods in a website somewhere-got any URLs?

Tully__
12-06-2004, 03:38 AM
If IJ's mods don't last 15 years of extremely hard use I'd be very surprised. Those things are solid. Even though I'm not a cougar user I've followed the development a bit and they've been through some very severe testing. IJ is a perfectionist of the 1st order http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif.

Gfresh99th
12-06-2004, 10:01 AM
cheers for the input guys....the everstrain lite production has been put on hold due to personal reasons so i guess im prob gonna go for the U2NXT as long as my bank manager obligeshttp://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

How do you guys feel about the pressure sensitive mods made by realsimulator that mimick the stick in the actual f16....i dismissed them at first but the more i think about them, the more i like em!!! I fly both FB and lomac(mainly gunzo)

ahhh the choices.....anything that distracts me from studying.....

FatBoyHK
12-06-2004, 11:06 AM
I heard that those FS stuff is better for jet sim...but I won't go for it, I think it would give me a weired feel.... anyway just a personal preference.

BlitzPig_DDT
12-06-2004, 11:12 AM
I got some œber I gimbals to eliminate center play (and have since noticed some in the handle itself, above the grey nut. lol), and also got CubPilot's hall sensor mod.

The combination wasn't very expensive and was done in 2 steps and was totally worth it.

I'd go with whatever gimbal mod strikes your fancy that you can afford (the Evenstrain does look nice, as does the œ2), and get the Hall Sensors. (at least for the stick, I don't have them for the throttle, doesn't seem necessary yet)