PDA

View Full Version : Altitude disadvantage & tactics in campaign

sgilewicz
03-11-2004, 10:55 AM
I am 60 missions into the Leningrad campaign, flying the Yak-1 and have just been promoted to major. Now, up to this point, I have noticed that flying CAP and intercept missions as a Russian we are virtually always at an altitude disadvantage by at least 1000 meters. Since the campaign missions seem to dictate flying at 2000 to 3500 meters I have to assume the Russian high command had death wishes for their pilots. Although the Yak has pretty nice flight characteristics, it just can't make up for the energy advantage a 109 or 190 has 1000 meters higher up. When I was not in command of a squad this wasn't too bad as I would just ignore my flight leader and take whatever evasive manuevers I deemed necessary. Since assuming command of a squad this has all changed. If any of you more experienced folks have any suggestions I would be glad to hear from you. Thanks

sgilewicz
03-11-2004, 10:55 AM
I am 60 missions into the Leningrad campaign, flying the Yak-1 and have just been promoted to major. Now, up to this point, I have noticed that flying CAP and intercept missions as a Russian we are virtually always at an altitude disadvantage by at least 1000 meters. Since the campaign missions seem to dictate flying at 2000 to 3500 meters I have to assume the Russian high command had death wishes for their pilots. Although the Yak has pretty nice flight characteristics, it just can't make up for the energy advantage a 109 or 190 has 1000 meters higher up. When I was not in command of a squad this wasn't too bad as I would just ignore my flight leader and take whatever evasive manuevers I deemed necessary. Since assuming command of a squad this has all changed. If any of you more experienced folks have any suggestions I would be glad to hear from you. Thanks

Maple_Tiger
03-11-2004, 11:01 AM
Take your squad up to about 2,000m higher... http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Capt. 361stMapleTiger.

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid78/pd6c878f0006c224805da6c9645408b41/fb291d3e.jpg

Proud member of the FBAA and Nutty Philosohpy Club.