PDA

View Full Version : Online - Mid altitude worst then low altitude?

Haigotron
06-14-2006, 09:46 AM
Is it me or do you stand out clearer if you are at mid altitude, compared to low altitude. Many times I pick a P38, or B25, and fly at historical altitdues around 3000m...only to be attacked by fighters. Often times I manage to get back home, other times...

But, the other week, I played online several times, and flew my P38 on the deck, (and my B25 also) I made it to the target, and bombed and came back, with the fighters above me circling, and not attacking...I guess they dont see me as well...

I find flak is also weak at those low alitudes, when you fly really fast over them, they hardly hit you...I guess it would discourage ppl from flying on deck if flak was deadlier at low altitude...

Although dont get me wrong, the thrill of getting shot at, while trying to bomb a target and trying to get back home is part of the fun of flying at mid alt...

Haigotron
06-14-2006, 09:46 AM
Is it me or do you stand out clearer if you are at mid altitude, compared to low altitude. Many times I pick a P38, or B25, and fly at historical altitdues around 3000m...only to be attacked by fighters. Often times I manage to get back home, other times...

But, the other week, I played online several times, and flew my P38 on the deck, (and my B25 also) I made it to the target, and bombed and came back, with the fighters above me circling, and not attacking...I guess they dont see me as well...

I find flak is also weak at those low alitudes, when you fly really fast over them, they hardly hit you...I guess it would discourage ppl from flying on deck if flak was deadlier at low altitude...

Although dont get me wrong, the thrill of getting shot at, while trying to bomb a target and trying to get back home is part of the fun of flying at mid alt...

p1ngu666
06-14-2006, 12:01 PM
u stand out more irl against the sky, thats why...

I_KG100_Prien
06-14-2006, 01:33 PM
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/agreepost.gif

Just think about why aircraft have camoflage patterns.. It's not to blend in with all landscape thats up at 15,000 feet.

Think about where your greatest threat comes from in the world of air combat.. Above.. The whole altitude advantage thing.. Speed...energy..life..

An aircraft that is 5,000 feet below you isn't near as dangerous as the one 5,000 feet above.

Haigotron
06-14-2006, 02:51 PM
hmmm i agree with both of you in terms of the logic of it all

i just find i get less spotted online if i fly on deck...yet again in RL, isnt flying on deck easier for enemy flak to get you...that too i dont feel when i fly online, flak doesnt seem to harass as much...

Crash_Moses
06-14-2006, 04:08 PM
Yup. And while I'm a huge fan of precision bombing the B-25 was used mostly for strafing airfields and as a low level ship buster in the PTO. If yer gonna go high...go real high and if yer gonna go low...set a delay on those bombs!

S!