PDA

View Full Version : Flyable George?

Total_spoon
04-21-2005, 05:23 PM
Was the N1K1-J planned as a flyable aircraft? I created a multiplayer mission and added the Shiden to the flyable aircraft. Flew it (no cockpit of course) and was blown away by the level of detail. Unlike a pure AI aircraft like the Tu-2S with it cylinder rendered wheels, the Shiden model is emaculate down to the lines on the tyres. It also features

1. An opening cockpit canopy
2. Telescoping undercarrage legs (man are they slow.. take lunch to eat while you wait)
3. Automatic combat flaps which come on when you turn and go off when you straighten up.

I know the real fighter had these things but they could have taken short cuts if it was only going to be a AI fighter.

Total_spoon
04-21-2005, 05:23 PM
Was the N1K1-J planned as a flyable aircraft? I created a multiplayer mission and added the Shiden to the flyable aircraft. Flew it (no cockpit of course) and was blown away by the level of detail. Unlike a pure AI aircraft like the Tu-2S with it cylinder rendered wheels, the Shiden model is emaculate down to the lines on the tyres. It also features

1. An opening cockpit canopy
2. Telescoping undercarrage legs (man are they slow.. take lunch to eat while you wait)
3. Automatic combat flaps which come on when you turn and go off when you straighten up.

I know the real fighter had these things but they could have taken short cuts if it was only going to be a AI fighter.

canucksledge
04-21-2005, 05:26 PM
Who knows? Maddox won't talk to us anymore about the patch...in fact you'll get your topic closed for asking about it.

JG53Frankyboy
04-21-2005, 05:47 PM
http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums?a=tpc&s=400102&f=26310365&m=3681069403

JunkoIfurita
04-21-2005, 05:49 PM
It's distinctly possible that it could be flyable. The George was included in the list that Oleg published as 'possible flyable' in the last big update.

It really depends on whether the cockpit was finished in time by the modellers, and whether it was up to Maddox Games' standard. As you say, it was already modelled to the detail of a flyable aircraft (although I'd go on to say most of the new aircraft in PF are modelled to detail, flyable or no.)

Remember that the Tu-2S was modelled way back in 2001, when the maximum polygon count was significantly lower to allow slower computers of the day to run the game.

----

shinden1974
04-21-2005, 05:51 PM
You can extrapolate the answer to the question by looking at some of the threads on the developers forum and here. Here's what I think happened:

1)The Rex/George and most of it's major variants were originally planned to be flyable at or near the original release. That's why so many non-AI features are modelled

2)The N1K1-J model was developed by a third party, who did an amazing job on the external model (however, who knows how much of that may have been editing work after it was turned in), but took a long time. He had trouble with cockpit references for the plane according to the old thread in the developers forum at netwings, after that the discussion went elsewhere, and who knows what happened after that.

3)Obviously from some of the comments by oleg and others some of the hired third party modellers were flaky and disappointing, I can't speak about the N1K1-J's modeller, but he may have had the same problem. In any case the cockpit for it probably isn't finished and at this late stage probably never will.

4) Probably as insurance, one of the better modellers started an N1K2-J flyable model that will hopefully make the sim.

5)The N1K1-J is pretty much dead in the water has a flyable plane, but N1K2-J may yet make it!

han freak solo
04-21-2005, 08:21 PM
Remember the Pacific Fighters home page poll? This plane should have been on it, not the Ki-100.

The George would be something to get excited about. Awesome! Awesome! Awesome! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/11.gif