PDA

View Full Version : Can not shoot down a Kawanishi n1k

Superjew1
07-21-2009, 07:01 PM
So Im starting to take a liking to the Hellcat over the corsair because it seems to be more stable through turns and stalls at a lower speed, plus its easier to land on a carrier, but no matter what I do I can not set a Kawanishi n1k afire with my .50 cals.

Ive destroyed a total of 2 after several encounters, one by punching a hole in its gas tank, and it going down 15 minutes later as a result, and another one rammed into my elevator whilst flying and tore his wing off. But Ive never downed one completely with just the .50 cals.

I setup a mission with 20 japanese planes and a battleship/carrier group vs about 50 US planes and I gave them about 3/5 Kawanishi N1K's and the other 2/5's Zeros. I can get a zero on fire no problem, but the Kawanishi N1K is much faster and more manuverable to keep up with, and it seems to be able to absorb ALOT more battle damage. Has anyone else noticed this?

I got the AI set on average, hate to see what the ace setting would do to me.

Also, any links on where I can find the AI mod since I can not get online to work?

Superjew1
07-21-2009, 07:01 PM
So Im starting to take a liking to the Hellcat over the corsair because it seems to be more stable through turns and stalls at a lower speed, plus its easier to land on a carrier, but no matter what I do I can not set a Kawanishi n1k afire with my .50 cals.

Ive destroyed a total of 2 after several encounters, one by punching a hole in its gas tank, and it going down 15 minutes later as a result, and another one rammed into my elevator whilst flying and tore his wing off. But Ive never downed one completely with just the .50 cals.

I setup a mission with 20 japanese planes and a battleship/carrier group vs about 50 US planes and I gave them about 3/5 Kawanishi N1K's and the other 2/5's Zeros. I can get a zero on fire no problem, but the Kawanishi N1K is much faster and more manuverable to keep up with, and it seems to be able to absorb ALOT more battle damage. Has anyone else noticed this?

I got the AI set on average, hate to see what the ace setting would do to me.

Also, any links on where I can find the AI mod since I can not get online to work?

SILVERFISH1992
07-21-2009, 07:09 PM
Its hard to destroy those ********s but its possible. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

Ba5tard5word
07-21-2009, 07:50 PM
from Hardball:

N1K1 top speed sea level: 551 kph

Hellcat top speed at sea level: 512 kph (though I have trouble keeping it above 490)

So...good luck, you'll need to trick an N1K into getting in front of you. The Hellcat is not great for this matchup because it doesn't accelerate very quickly or keep its speed up in maneuvers--it's better against planes that are slower than it like a Zero, and even then it's a tricky plane to pilot.

Superjew1
07-21-2009, 07:59 PM
perhaps I should try a corsair?

SILVERFISH1992
07-21-2009, 08:06 PM
You could try the corsair or the P-51 or the P-47 or the P-38.

I'd recomend the P-38.

Trefle
07-21-2009, 08:14 PM
Having a look at Il-2 compare , the N1KJ is similar to the La-5 in term of climbrate , turnrate and speed .Difference is that the La-5 is clearly faster between 2-4k

So yeah , pretty much anything American from 1944 will have better performances than the N1KJ , but with a Hellcat it's tough except if you fight it above 6k's (20.000 feet) where you will be noticeably faster

mortoma
07-21-2009, 08:19 PM
I did an offline mission not long ago, I was number two in a flight of two Corsairs. When over Guam we encountered three NIK1's and one of them shot down my flight leader. I was able to eventually get all three of them but I don't recall much detail of the mission. I believe one of them was a solid PK due to me hitting him with steep deflection, I hit the top of his fuselage with numerous .50 cal hits and he dove straight into the ground.

Superjew1
07-21-2009, 09:05 PM
Well I tried going into mission builder and changing to a corsair Ill see if this will get me to down some N1K1's

Superjew1
07-21-2009, 09:26 PM
Corsair seems to be able to keep up with them MUCH better.

ImMoreBetter
07-21-2009, 10:54 PM
F6F against an N1K is pretty tight.

The N1K is faster below 3000m, but the F6F is faster above 6000m.

The N1K can also turn better and is a better dogfighter.

So, unless you can gain circumstantial advantages (Altitude, speed at engagement, angles). If you are fighting in the QMB, you likely won't be able to get these.

Which leaves one option...

I'd fly my *** off.

The hellcat is not entirely outclassed. You're slower, outgunned, and less manueverable, but you are not hopeless. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

It is plenty possible to win fights without initial advantages. A dogfight is a rapidly changing environment, so things can end up anywhere.

I guess the only advice I can give is to focus most on not getting hit. In this situation kills are largely opportunity based, you can't sacrifice your defense for offense.

I have a feeling I will be flying this match-up all morning tomorrow.

M_Gunz
07-22-2009, 01:49 AM
A human player vs an artificial idiot who is also a savant at piloting but c_r_a_p at tactics....
and once you can beat the AI regularly you can kick A on noob servers, maybe.

It's the pilot, not the plane.

K_Freddie
07-22-2009, 02:10 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by M_Gunz:
It's the pilot, not the plane. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Oleg has mentioned this before http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

M_Gunz
07-22-2009, 03:49 AM
Veteran WWII pilots beat him to it in many different ways. I like the Russian one likening flying combat
to playing the violin.

Wildnoob
07-22-2009, 01:48 PM
at witch distance you are opening fire, wat's your convergence setting?

http://rapidshare.com/files/25.../Filme_0023.wmv.html (http://rapidshare.com/files/258837167/Filme_0023.wmv.html)

take a look at this track of mine...

use 200 meters (just saying, not a recomendation), and as you can see, I didn't manage to fire at convergence of all guns, but still manage to do some significant damage who probably remove his capability of stay figthing, and before trow off it's wing (not so common though). other times with even worse convergence the same you are reporting happen.

I belive you have to fire close at convergence range and that shouldn't be a problem, the .50's can do the job very well, altough in fact the N1K1 is a pretty sturdy aicraft who can absorve battle damage.

Ba5tard5word
07-22-2009, 02:09 PM
Corsair is definitely faster than the Hellcat, but it's heavy and will quickly drop from 540 kph at sea level to like 350 if you do some maneuvers. So it's fast (but not that fast, it was a carrier fighter after all, unlike the N1K), if you keep it straight or get the chance to dive, it will do better than if you try to get into turn battles with it. Try using it against Spitfires and you'll have a tough time, the Corsair has a higher top speed but the Spitfire keeps its energy and speed better and will be able to zip away from the Corsair when the Corsair loses its speed in manuevers.

fhirai
08-09-2009, 09:47 AM
I have the same problem online! The N1k2 seems to be much faster and manouverable than the F6F-5!!
Does anybody has some tips against it, please?
Thanks! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

DKoor
08-09-2009, 09:52 AM
Just shoot em up with close conv... that will do the trick. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

megalopsuche
08-09-2009, 10:19 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DKoor:
Just shoot em up with close conv... that will do the trick. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

QFT

Pull in your convergence.

JtD
08-09-2009, 10:35 AM
You need to keep the fight above 3km. If you do, you stand a good chance of succeeding.