PDA

View Full Version : C2 cargo ships! tough little sods!

scoped_thunder
04-06-2005, 08:44 AM
Last night I attacked a C2 cargo ship from 850 metres 90 degrees AOB with a mild spread angle, I scored two hits on the vessel with the torpedos running at 4 metres depth. Both struck home on the bow of the ship the explosion rocking her to the side, a huge fire brewed up on deck. I thought she was a gonner...

I followed her for two hours, the vessel was taking evasive action all the way, I kept up with her about 900 metres to stern, there was no obvious change in her depth, the crew must have controlled the flooding, or the ship is really hardy to torpedo attacks.

At which point when she began another left turn I quickly ramped up the engines and got within 500 metres letting rip another torpedo in anticipation of her reaching about 85 degrees AOB to stern, the torpedo struck her hard in the centreline running at 6 metres, a huge explosion followed ripping her in half, four secondary explosions knelled the vessels dis-appearence under the waves.

These C2's are tough, apart from running a mag 1 metre below keel is there anything better I could have done to make those two torpedos count a bit better?

Thanks in advance

scoped_thunder
04-06-2005, 08:44 AM
Last night I attacked a C2 cargo ship from 850 metres 90 degrees AOB with a mild spread angle, I scored two hits on the vessel with the torpedos running at 4 metres depth. Both struck home on the bow of the ship the explosion rocking her to the side, a huge fire brewed up on deck. I thought she was a gonner...

I followed her for two hours, the vessel was taking evasive action all the way, I kept up with her about 900 metres to stern, there was no obvious change in her depth, the crew must have controlled the flooding, or the ship is really hardy to torpedo attacks.

At which point when she began another left turn I quickly ramped up the engines and got within 500 metres letting rip another torpedo in anticipation of her reaching about 85 degrees AOB to stern, the torpedo struck her hard in the centreline running at 6 metres, a huge explosion followed ripping her in half, four secondary explosions knelled the vessels dis-appearence under the waves.

These C2's are tough, apart from running a mag 1 metre below keel is there anything better I could have done to make those two torpedos count a bit better?

Thanks in advance

quillan
04-06-2005, 09:07 AM
If you can hit the fuel bunkers, you can sink one in a single hit. I've never been able to hit that deliberately. I have been able to hit the engine room. That will bring it to a halt, but doesn't usually seem to sink one. C2s are the toughest ships I have encountered in the game. I can sink almost every C3 with a single torpedo, magnetically detonated. The same tactic only seems to sink a C2 about 10-20% of the time. The damage model on the C2 was reworked with the 1.2 patch, but I sank 5 of them last night, and only 1 was a single torpedo. One took 3 torps. The others were two apiece. The one I did sink in a single hit was a magnetic torpedo fired from the stern, so it ran straight up the keel of the ship. That seems more effective than a crossing shot.

scoped_thunder
04-06-2005, 09:17 AM
Ahhh thank you excellent! so im looking to get hits more towards the rear of the ship, Perhaps also and increase slightly in the spread angle will give me a better chance of smacking the fuel bunker!

On your point of taking a shot straight up the keel of the ship with mag detenation, what distance do find best to give you a good firing solution on that and which end of the ship should I present my AOB? I often have trouble getting a good hit with a mag torp in these situations? I usually near miss to either side, because its near impossible to be perfectly behind or infront of the ship on a 0 or 180 AOB.

Thanks for the response

duckwaffle88
04-06-2005, 09:20 AM
That's weird. Yesterday I found a lone C2 and downed it with my deck gun. Still had 99 shots left too.

quillan
04-06-2005, 09:22 AM
Heh. I got that shot in overcast, heavy rain and heavy fog. The only way I can hunt anything in that kind of weather is to put myself directly on their course, let them pass me, and take a shot as they're pulling away. I went past that C2 with about 3 meters to spare; I nearly got run down by it. Visibility was under 400 meters, so when I spotted it, I was at zero AOB. I had to hit ahead flank to scoot out of the way.

scoped_thunder
04-06-2005, 09:26 AM
lol you didnt mention I would have to put my entire crew and uboat at risk to do it!! what a daring venture I bow to thee! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

You seem like a very skilled commander, thank you for your advice http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Panaka_NL
04-06-2005, 09:34 AM
Yesterday I had to put 4 torps into a C2 and it still stayed on the surface for nearly two hours.
3 torps where magneticly detonated 0,5 to 1 metre below her hull while the last one was impact detonated and hit the ship in the bow.

Most other ships go down with one or two torps for shure. Those C2's are extremely tough.

JebUSMC
04-06-2005, 10:11 AM
If you hit them in the right spot, say under the superstructure even or just forward of the stack with an impact detonator running at 3 or 4 meters, they'll go down every time with one shot. Of course, you have to get close, use a fast running gas torpedo, and have a between 75 and 90 degree AOB.

AnalysisMan
04-06-2005, 10:30 AM
In my experience these C2s are very hardy indeed. I have managed to down a couple of them with only 1 torpedo. Most of the time I do for impact - at 90 AOB, try and get it just in front of the Super Structure. Maybe right below the forward wall, at 5 meters.

A few times I've used the magnetic at 9.5 or so, but also you have to get it under the super structure. That's also just one shot.
But I think the area in which you can get it to break apart is way to small.

Last night I wasted 5 torpedoes on one, and then I ran out. It got away. I was in the most horrible position possible for a torpedo attack though.

scoped_thunder
04-06-2005, 06:32 PM
Just attacked another C2, I fired three torps two spread angle so the front and rear take hits at 5 metres draft, the third going for mag detonation aimed dead centre.

the two torps hit home hitting the aft and bow, I dont know what happened to the third mag detenator, there was no detonation. ( I dont look in external to watch me torps http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif )

Anyways I watched the C2 and she slowly began dropping into the sea and in very stormy weather the waves started lapping over her deck occasionally. I thought I had her for sure... but no along comes a flower class corvette bounding over the waves at me, her frontal gun was firing all over the place... I dont know where she came from, I knew there was a warship around as I had detected it earlier on hydrophones, but I was insistant it was moving away...

And on that note I dived and ran away, I dont know what happened to the C2, but it didnt appear on the patrol report, so I assume she got away http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

jcurrens
04-06-2005, 06:49 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JebUSMC:
If you hit them in the right spot, say under the superstructure even or just forward of the stack with an impact detonator running at 3 or 4 meters, they'll go down every time with one shot. Of course, you have to get close, use a fast running gas torpedo, and have a between 75 and 90 degree AOB. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

how do you measure AOB? what is the best AOB and Gyroangle?

Ronin.nj
04-06-2005, 07:19 PM
aob.use your ruler to draw an line along the ships path get ahead then then set yourself up at right angles (90o) to the targets course,now have your settings on easy and sit back and watch how the various dials work on the tdc screen.also on page 39 in the manual there is an okay description for it. oh ps get about 3-4000 meters ahead so you can watch those dials for anwhile.pps have you seen the tutorial video.

ive been attacking c2`s head on,use gas torp Fast speed setting, torp depth on draft of victim and magnetic. most seem to detonate 1-3 meters along hull,i fire one off at 1600 mtrs and if i need to another at 1000,i also use my centre tube, as my back up tube as the side ones dont get time to curve around enough.

TeAcH
04-06-2005, 07:48 PM
I shot one 1 meter under keel (magnetic) and got a glorious explosion towards the rear. The boat chugged along, dropped speed a little, and the stern sunk completely under water. The back end was completely submerged yet this thing steamed ahead. Water was level with the rear mast. Dare I call this a bug. It steamed away for hours and NEVER sunk or stopped. Interesting.

Johnny_JG2
04-06-2005, 08:49 PM
So what am I doing wrong? I kill C2s with one torpedo probably half of the time. Two torpedos always sinks them, every single time.

I've never looked at any damage points or anything like that. I aim about 1.3 meters under the keel with magnetic detonation. I aim just beneath the front of the superstructure. Don't ask me why, I just aim there and it works- seemed like a good spot. The torpedo usually explodes against the underside of the hull, just before it reaches the keel- like maybe a couple meters.

Anyway, I shoot only one torpedo and wait to see what it does. Half the time they sink on the first shot. If I have to shoot another one, I just shoot toward the center again, but lower torp depth by another 1.5 meters since it sits lower.

I would be amazed if a C2 took more than 2 torpedos.

scoped_thunder
04-07-2005, 02:59 AM
well be amazed my friend its happened to me http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

The C2 appears to be the bain of my life at the moment! im losing tonnage because of the basterds!! wasted torpedos http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

I mean jeez a week ago I sank a C3... but because the water was very shallow, it just sat on the bottom intact with the bridge above the water... no kill http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

KaosxMeach
04-07-2005, 03:58 AM
I put 4 eels into a C3, two were magnetic keel-busters and two impact hits forward of the bridge.

4 days it took to sink. I was out of torps and in bad weather so I radioed the position and waited it out.

Storm raged and raged, eventually on the fourth day she slipped beneath the waves. I would have finished her with the deck gun but not with the giant waves crashing over the deck.

I was not going to let 7000tons slip through my fingers by heading home because you don't get the award if you do.

AnalysisMan
04-07-2005, 04:06 AM
I tried radio-ing a contact report for a c3 I crippled on my last torp. But when pressing 'M' I couldn't see any contact reports having been sent. Does it only show those for when you report a convoy?

I know the manual says you might find that even the Luftwaffe will come out to take care of it - but like I said, I'm not sure wether the radio guy sent the contact report.

Nukem_Hicks
04-07-2005, 04:48 AM
I've only been able to send contact reports on convoys as well, although some other skippers on here have reported sending contact reports on individual ships and have the flyboys show up. Who knows.

I just attacked a C2 tonight in the convoy training mission (I've been practicing mastering the manual TDC without my WEP's assistance). Managed to stop it dead in the water with 2 mag torps in the stern. Left it behind to sink a tanker and when I returned she was still dead in the water with the water just over her stern. I lined up another mag torp and hit her in the bow. She settled a bit further but was still afloat. So I lined up my last torp, used mag once again, and scored a hit amidships. She exploded at this point, but 4 torp hits to sink a C2? It seemed rather extreme.

KaosxMeach
04-07-2005, 04:55 AM
I have yet to see a friendly unit appear to help with a target. I have over 30 patrols under my belt and have sent hundreds of contact reports.

I am guessing that you have to be near a friendly coastline and in decent weather for it to trigger but in the scale of things surely I have had at least one or two viable sightings reported?

I cannot figure out if the Captains who have seen this phenomenum have radioed or not of it it was just a random thing.

bweiss
04-07-2005, 04:56 AM
The C2's are tough but I had an experience with one that was pretty cool. I use 85 percent realism with manual TDC input turned off and the rest of the limitation options turned on. So realistic sinking is turned on.

I put a fish into a C2 near her bow, and surfaced to finish her off. After manning the deck gun, I noted she was listing heavily down by the bow and to the port side where I'd hit her. I decided to have the deck gun crew hold their fire to see what would happen. Sure enough after a while (it took some time), the C2 eventually heaved over and sank. She went down by the bow and rolled over on her port side. Excellent realistic sinking and didn't cost me any deck gun ammo.

DEFkon2005
04-07-2005, 08:43 AM
ack i just finished a patrol where i happend by a convoy that had 2 C2's. The first one i went for took 6, yes SIX torpedoes. (course i think 2 were duds) then when i'm down to one torpedo left, and find another C2 i fired it off figuring i'm just getting rid of dead weight.. but... it takes the ship down in one hit. *shrugs*

Trydan
04-07-2005, 10:02 AM
With a good shot, C2s can be sunk with one contact torpedo. I aim for the point on the hull that is in line with the front face of the superstructure. If it works (which, for me, is not often), it will sink pretty quickly. No second torpedo necessary.

Stuntcow
04-07-2005, 10:58 AM
I also have put up to 3 to 4 torps in a C2, both mag and impact and and had them sail away. On one, used imapct and on the other, used mag 1.5 set depth under keel accounting for sinking and watched all the torps impact or det. Also tried a mix. Four hits and it still sails away.(out of torps and 5 days the weather not break)Last nite ran into one and had the deck gun crew open fire, after about 5 or 6 shots....It blew up, broke in half and sunk....

KaosxMeach
04-07-2005, 12:36 PM
I had a dig about in the config files and I reckon it has something to do with the cargo it is carrying.

I remember reading that a C2 sized cargo ship in real life took 4 torpedo hits because it was carrying empty oil barrels. 45 Gallon drums. They were sealed and created a super-bouyant ship. Days later it was still afloat held up by the barrels.